Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Good luck to each and everyone of you,hope the weather is like today!
  • Hi all & good luck to all of us .

Does anybody know if the water is bottled or in plastic cups?

thanks Jo

• Good Luck everyone and all your races go to plan
  • will ring/text you both when i get there SF & LMH, lets hope this train go's all the way whoh whoh !! c'mon casey !!

looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow, setting off for the Kingfisher Barn in Abingdon in about 45 mins ! must sleep well tonight !!

good luck everyone

cheers

beders

• Good luck to all the runners for tomorrow..

Will be cheering you all on..
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

8:15.  8:15.  8:15.  Think it.  Believe it.  Do it.

Hope to see some of you.  If not, then back on here on Monday!  Enjoy your race. 

Sorry about your ankle, joolska.

• good luck to you all guys image

i shall be marshalling somewhere on the loop (don't know exactly where until i get my pack tomorrow) so i'll try and shout at you all twice!!

• Best wishes. Off to bed now - hopefully 7 & 1/2 hrs kip. Hoping to take a detour in the morning to  hide a drink down at about 15M.
  • Just popping in to wish you all Good Luck for tomorrow.  I had hoped to run Abingdon this year, but life doesn't always work out as planned.  I'll be thinking of you all very enviously tomorrow morning, and hope you all have a good one.  Whatever else may happen, at least the company will be of the highest quality!image

Jools, so sorry to hear of your ankle.  Hope you get to run another marathon soon, and hit your target. (When last year I pulled out of Leicester 3 days before the race, it reminded me of a still birth, all the hard work and anticipation followed by a yawning gap.)

Blisters, enjoy!!  Another sub 3 PB???

I am already looking forward to the race reports, and hope to join you next year!

• Good luck everyone!

Just had an email from runnersworld asking me to rate the Abingdon Marathon 2.5hrs before the start!

Looks like it'll be a good day weather-wise too...

• Hope you all had a good race. Brilliant event, going for a sleep now - Target achieved.
  • Wasnt it good?!  Superb weather and superb marshals and organisation and a very friendly race!  PB of 3.22.30 achieved I think - need to just wait for official time - whatever I beat my target and finished reasonably strong!  

Well done everyone - and thanks for the support.  Sorry about those of you who didnt make it - go for it next year. 

• Yep, good again. Big thanks to all the marshalls, every one very encouraging & the organisation flawless. Crowd support was wonderful too, but better on the first lap.

Course seemed slightly tougher too & I'm not sure if I preferred the 2 lap to the 2006 course.

My only complaint were the drink stations. Nothing wrong on the 1st lap, but I'm sure there was an energy drink stop (lucozade?) 2 years ago.

If you've come alone, it's very tough running 26 miles with the 2nd half of race surviving on just 1/4 full cups of water wasn't great, For £25 I don't think one Lucozade/Powerade station at say 16 miles was asking too much and an extra water stop added to the last 10K.

I ran sub 4 hours & only missed my PB by 90 secs or so, so not too disheartened but was 8 mins down on what I should've & was on course to run.

But still big thanks to all involved.
  • FANTASTIC!!!!

Well done everyone, wasn't it great.

If anyone knows a runner called Simon who was wearing a white vest and came in at about 4.26...can you pass on an enormous THANKYOU to him.

He made my race. I started to struggle at about 23 miles and started run walking but was feeling so negative and cross with myself. Simon had been walking too and we paced each other the last 3 miles taking 90 second walk breaks every so often. That bit of support just gave me a real lift and i'm sure i would have walked most of the last 3 miles without it. I felt so good i even managed a sprint finish image) I'm sorry i sprinted for the line and left you Simon but i know you'll understand...THANKS A MILLION What could ahve been a race that left me feeling negative and dispondent about myself turned into the best marathon finish i have ever done.

When's the next one ;o)

• Oh and yes marshalls were great and the race was really well organised.

The thing i didn't like about the laps was passing the 17 mile marker at mile 7. I found it hard to get my head around those but i know there's no other way..

Thank you very much!!!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Just seen Mick & Phil being interviewed on South Today on BBC 1. 
  • What a fantastic marathon, so well organised,support just awesome  ,great marshalls and brilliant facilities........Need i say more.I have done a few marathons in my time and this has to be the best yet! Oh and i got  a very unexpected pbimage 3.20 i was hoping for ,got 3.15.10!!!!So going to have a well earned glass of vino!Well done to all of us i say and roll on  to 2009 Abington marathonimage 
  • Glad to hear that some people had a good day.

I guess I got what I deserved starting a marathon injured and having been unable to do any real training for the past five weeks - which was a very painful finish, albeit my second ever fastest. I didn't enjoy this course though the support from the marshalls was great. Too many up and down kerbs and uneven pavements and who thought the underpass was a good idea at that stage of the race? I should have DNF'd really but I just couldn't bring myself to do it so even when walking became just as painful as running and sub 3.45 was a distant memory I persevered, as sub-4 dropped away too I knew that the sensible thing to do was minimise the damage - instead of which I gave myself a good talking to and had a good final four miles and relatively strong finish round the track - but too late to do me any good. Maybe I'll learn?

Lovely to meet forumites old and new and a big thanks to Beders for driving the train so well right up until the point I realised I'd passed my stop (about 9 miles)

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • ((((LMH)))) It is a tough decision to pull out of a marathon. I know as I did it for the first time 2 weeks ago. Now you put your feet up and have some well earnt food.
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

((((LMH))))

I hate to say it you won't learn.  I should have learned from when I did the Shakespere Marathon last year, however, that didn't stop me running thru a 5k in September to get it over with when it hurt when I walked and now I've ended up having physio.

• 4.19 today

really suffered with my sore groin - after 18 miles

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mick,

Well done.  Saw your interview on South Today they did.

• HY4 - I know you're right. But I guess it comes in useful for IM image

Mick - you looked to be going well when I last saw you, sorry to hear that you had problems but I have to say that Phil really looked as though he was enjoying that lap of the track at the end!

Tracey - thanks. DNFing would definitely have been the sensible thing to do - but then I guess I'm not very sensible!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I can still remember that lap of the track from 2005. I will be back one day soon.
  • Quite challenging run today-the organisation was excellent though and the cup of tea at the finish a definite morale booster.

Ran 1 hr 43 for first half then struggled a bit to finish around 3hrs48mins but enjoyed every step of the way-the local support was great (particularly from my club mates-HRR).

See you all next year!

ps. Thanks to Rupert who kept me company for the the last few miles then outsprinted me impressively-well done!

• Barnsleyrunner doesn't appear in the results. Anyone know why?
  • Are the results available somewhere? Do tell...
  • fat face,

BR didn't race today, i saw him and Hilly after i finished.