Asthma Inhaler

i have asthma which can often be exercise/heat induced. i usually carry an inhaler in the form of a salbutamol auto inhaler but need something more compact that will fit into a small bumbag or a gel holder. Ideas anyone?

Comments

• Ask your doc to prescribe you one of the small 'emergency' versions, about half the size of a standard salbutamol inhaler.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I have a standard salbutamol inhaler and have no trouble fitting it into the tiny pockets in my running shorts and legging.
  • I also have the standard size one and it also fit's into the zip pocket on the back of my shorts.  Is an auto inhaler big?!
  • The new CFC easi-breathe thing that I have is a monstrosity compared to my old greenhouse gas one.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • My one is just standard evohaler  - never seen one bigger...
  • The auto inhailers (CFC easyibreath ) aee bulkier and awkward to fit in pockets, I agree (they also dont much care for getting wet or dropped IMHO!)

Speak to your GP/Asthma nurse/hospital consultant, there are lots of different types of inhailers out there and if you explain your needs there may be one that they could offer you instead.  Unfortunatly even within the same type of inhailer, sometimes the different manufacturers vary (hence why I take that bit of the prescription to a different chemist because they always seem to fill it with one that is about 2cm shorter than the standard ventolin evohailer!)

• If you are getting regular symptoms , even exercise induced, maybe think about visiting your Dr or Asthma nurse and getting your prventer meds reviewed?

If you can get symptom free then less need for reliever?

• On an aside to this - how many people are there out there running distances with asthma? 
  • I have had exercise induced asthma since I was 6. I find that running doesn't make it any worse than other forms of exercise, but I can't go anywhere without my inhaler!

I've got a good asthma nurse (and I've read up quite a bit for myself), and I'm on the gold standard therapy, which is a Symbicort inhaler for prevention (combined fluticasone and formoterol - steroid and long-acting reliever) which has made a huge difference, and a bricanyl turbohaler, which is terbutaline (same as ventolin). The turbohalers are quite handy, as they're smaller than normal inhalers. You twist them to release the drug, then inhale through it (so no propellants needed). I'm very lucky that these work really well for me, and my asthma isn't brittle. I usually take my reliever before I set out for a run, then will probably use it once or twice in the first 10 minutes, and that's normally all I need.

I'm actually running the Brighton Half Marathon next weekend in aid of Asthma UK. I thought I'd chose a charity that has a direct impact on my life.

How do other people get on?
  • Hey SazzaG

Symbicort is good stuff image , though I have found that the turbohalers are a bit more inclined to not like getting damp (or downright wet, when it fell out of a canoe.....oops)

Its nice to know that there are people put there who are running despite their asthma, exercise-induced or not.  I used to do some running as a kid, when at school, mainly as a method of getting and staying fitter for team sports.  Over the last few years I have tried a few times, somewhat unsuccessfully, to get myself back into running, although initially that has as much to do with my motivation (or lack of it at 6.15am) as anything else; however over the last year or so things have been a bit more haywire, with somewhat more visits to my local A+E than I would have planned (a bit embarrassing when you are working there, although not quite as bad as ending up on a ward that was looked after by the same medical consultant who I was on placement with recently - out of dozens of bloomin wards in the hospital!).  Im just interested about whether there are people like me successfully running out there; I have a feeling my consultant(s) would laugh and tell me not too be so bloody stupid if I told them my ambitions - running (well and other exercise) keeps me sane, I find that there is something about me (plus/minus dog) and road/field/mountain that is tremendously powerful and helps put life in perspective for me (that probably sounds a bit mad I guess!)

• It was my asthma that got me into running.

My triggers are dust / pollen, sudden changes in air temperature (like going outside on a cold day) and running.

After having my lifestyle restricted for many years because of the fear of an asthma attack, I decided that enough was enough and that I was going to combat my asthma by taking up running.  I was sure that if I could run without getting an attack then I could do almost anything else.

I always take a puff of salbutamol before exercise otherwise I am guarenteed to have an attack.  If it is cold out then I sometimes have two puffs.

After that I am OK.  I carry my inhaler on long runs, but often don't bother for short runs any more.  I'm supposed to be doing a 20 mile race on Sunday, so there is proof that asthmatics can still do proper running.

Incidently, I now very rarely have an attack at any other time either.  Sometimes my chest gets a bit tight but it has been over 2 years since I had a 'proper' attack.  I am sure that running has improved my tollerance (if that is the right word) to asthma although the asthma nurse says that she can see no change in my lung function over this period.

• Got to agree with others that Symbicort is great. It has made a huge difference to my asthma management.

I can not run without carrying a salbutamol. 99% of the time I dont use it. But if I realise I'm out without it I start to get wheezy !!

I have no problem getting it into the back zip pocket of my Nike shorts.

• Callan - hee hee I think that is sod's law!

SuperCaz - I wouldn't be surprised.  Physiology was never my strong point, but if exercise improves your capacity to breathe more effectively, not only potentially in your total lung function, but also with a view to the muscles that you use when breathing is harder work (from exercise, or from asthma!) and even to how well you naturally regulate your breathing pattern (there are those who say that anyone with asthma is prone to hyperventilation because your body tries to compensate) - then it makes sense that increasing your exercise tolerance can improve your ability to manage any degree of asthma, which could include compensating so that you are actually less aware of a degree of bronchospasm that you may have previously found activity-limiting

Wish I could do 20miles

*coughs up some more green gunk*

• I wish I could do 20 miles too.  I've only got to 13.5 in training and I'm actually quite scared at the thought of attempting to do 20 miles, especially as my last run was my worst ever - the first time I have actually cut a run seriously short instead of completing the distance but with plenty of walking.
  • Hey Im sure you will do fine, it will be OK on the day - arent you supposed to have some bad days before a good one?  I reckon 13.5 is pretty good going too.  I am getting steadily more depressed atm about the lack of stuff I seem to be able to do at the moment, its driving me nuts!!