The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Sean - getting no joy on the FLM place at the moment but there's one more avenue I can try so will keep you posted.

I think I can answer most of your questions though.....

No - you don't have to stop the treadmill between shifts, as long as there's no discernible break between runners we can hop on and off with the thing still moving. With a bit of practise hopefully we can keep transition slowing to a minimum. Agree though we need to measure how much time we lose to see if it's worth doing shorter shifts or not.

And no - every runner does not have to run four hours each. Theoretically the faster ones could do longer shifts, but that seems a tad unfair and also a little harder to organise logistically.

Treadmill gradient - zero.

Afraid I don't know anything about the current record holders of the 48-hour record except that they did 381 miles, but I do know that the American team that broke the 24-hour record started with hour-long shifts and got shorter and faster as the 24 hours went on, so that by the end some of the shifts were as short as 10min. (I guess that means it must be possible to jump on and off without losing much time.)

• Ah so this is where it's all at.

Thought I'd pop in and say hello,nice to see that this is generating a bit of interest.

I've not really thought about the shift patterns however if i was aiming for 40miles in my 4 hour stint I wouldn't want to be doing any longer than 30mins @ 6m/m and even at that I think i could be struggling on the Saturday,so for me 1/2 hour on mill with 5 1/2 hour break sounds like a plan

RB- "due to family commitments".............nothing to do with cheaper tickets for the flight then;o))........... bloody jocks

• Nick,

Now that I'm no longer running FLM but still having a weekend in London (due to prepaid, non-refundable hotel and similar train tickets...) I can help out with support/eye-witnessing.  I get to London on the Friday, though, so only good to help from Friday afternoon onwards.

• Hail Hail

Cheeky git GR!!  I might have to pace you round the first 500yards of FLM again!!

They're actually the same price as the Thurs eve flights.  More a case of trying to keep Mrs RB as sweet as possible!  Bluddy wimmin!!  (present company excepted Joolsa).

• NtS, If you're really short of women then I don't mind putting in some stints. I should be able to manage c.6m/m on a flat treddy for 30 mins.

I work near Piccadilly so could pop over anytime during the day on Friday and Gobi and I will be in London on Saturday and Sunday for the marathon.
  • Jools - that would be fantastic, many thanks for that. Gutted to hear about your FLM deferment - sounds like a sensible decision though. Hope it clears up fast.

Rach - It'd be GREAT to gave you on board. I'll email you some more details.

• Fabbo! Would love to do it. Count me in for sure image)
  • NtS - 8 March is in the diary.

Rach E - Nice business.

GR - No break longer than 5 1/2 hours okay with you? 

• Morning all,

RB-Only joking mate,You'll never keep women happy.......got to be a bit careful with what i say now. How do you feel about 30mins stints.Would you still prefer to do 60mins?

Jools- Are you sure you know what you're letting yourself in for.....you have'nt met Crab yet! Seriously though it would be great to have your support.....but no Shouting I know what you ex-cox's are like.

Rach- Fantastic to have you on board,but you must promise not to bring that Gobi.......my ears are still bleeding from Wokingham;o))

Orinocho-Yes thats fine with me but I'm prepared to go with the majority decision.

Nick- You're doing a grand job captain.If there is anything i can help with just drop me an e-mail

Still doing a bit

• Lol GR.

Where are we doing this practice on March 8? I am in London, but it's my (shock, horror) 30th birthday celebrations on that day. I'm planning on doing Bushy TT as my birthday treat and already have lunch lined up in Covent Garden (which all the team would be welcome to!).

If you'd like a treadmill to practice on, then I could get us all into my gym (a *huge* Virgin Active, formerly Holmes Place, on the Strand). I'm my company's corporate rep so they don't mind me bringing in extra guests - particularly if I tell them what it's for on this occasion image)

• Hey Guys!

March the 8th is in the diary! Could possibly arrange to use the mills at the gym but these are in Surrey so i don't know how this would suit everyone?

welcome rachE good to have you with us!!! 

Nts-as for using the gym i can ask boss man on monday when he is back in and get back to you. Also matey did you manage to get me a FLM place? You are doing a sterling job el capitaino! If theres anything you need a hand with just ask matey!

As far as the shifts work i will go with the majority, although the earlier you can give me an idea the quicker i can plan my training regime lol!

• NtS - Am I in or not? If so, ditto on the FLM place?
  • Kempez/Sean - I find out on my last option for the FLM places tomorrow so will get back to you then if that's ok.

As for the practise - I'm guessing more people will be able to make a London venue rather than a Surrey - is that generally the case?

• FFS This is where you're hiding and I thought this was based around the FLM as opposed to 'General Running'. Silly me ;o)

Right one skinny one, with a funny gait, according to some a withered arm and according to all Pirates a w@nker reporting for duty. I was thinking pairs and had always envisaged half hour on half hour off for 2-3 hours per pair but I'm up for anything. As with RB I'm more of a champion stayer than a thoroughbred classic winner so I think longer stints might get more out of my wombly legs.   Think I'll do some experimenting on the mill and see how likely a 6m/m is after 5 of them then 30mins rest. 

It really was a gifted idea of mine wasn't it.  Thanks for giving it legs Nick ;o)

As you WeRe.

• Aha here you all are. Great news with Rach E, Jools and PP all supporting and Sean G a keen new recruit - hopefully.

NtS - Re: FLM places, you have mail. Good idea to arrange a practise session, and happy to take part in London, but March 8 is a no non for me as will just be/ planning to be back on the road then - vroom vroom.

I am also more a Kauto Star than a Shergar - ok really a bit of a donkey - and happy to partner up with someone to do 3 * 40 minute slots or a bit of mix and match 2 * 40 mins 2 * 20 mins.
  • Anyone fancy pairing up for a swift lunchtime treddy practice in central London? I'm based on Trafalgar Square and can get use of my gym on the Strand, or I don't mind travelling to the City....

Thanks for the welcomes image)

• I'm going/coming* to London Village on March 13th.  So if anyone wants to try and end up in a heap at the back of a treadmill with me then I may be persuaded to give it a go.  I guess as long as someone has made all the mistakes and reported back their findings beforehand it wouldn't be that difficult to pass on the secret of effective changeovers.  I guess if we pair up Padams and GR and the former runs legs akimbo the latter could start running beneath (pretty comfortably) - probably best not to look up and get a glimpse of the last turkey in the shop pendulating at 6m/m pace. 

NM2 any news on the Hurricane yet?

As you WeRe.

* Delete as appropriate based on your location.

• Suddenly this officiating business is starting to look like a really bad idea... ;¬)
  • Crab - I'll be in London on March 13 too if you wanna give it a go. Anyone else?

As for length of stints - I guess the pairs can sort that out individually once the final team is sorted. I just thought 30/40-minute lengths might be tricky because of the amount of time you'll have to cool down. I don't think I'd wanna be inactive more for than 15 min if I was gonna then jump back on and have to get up to full speed pretty damn quick. That's why I was thinking either 15min or the full hour in which case cooling down is irrelevant.

Still no news on Rocket-man unfortunately...... but I do have another possible new recruit who should give Padams a run for his money. Just awaiting confirmation.....

• Lol CRAB.

March 13th is a potential goer for me.

• Afternoon all,

And to think I only volunteered to take part because I'd heard whisperings of 7.30 pace.....now all of a sudden it's changed to 6m/m....C'mon you lot think of the old boy!

At least we all agree on the pacing strategy then;o)

Crab-I'm just hoping the treadmill is long enough for Padams- he took 30 secs out of me at Bramley in just 4 strides.Sorry cant make 13th away on a 3 day course.

Still doing a bit

• GR - I am glad it just wasn;t me!!

Lured by NTS prospect of worldwide stardom and not even breaking sweat at a gentle 7.30 mm plod
    Then a bit of verbals off Crabby (wonder how many times that sentence has been written) and raise it to a womble 6.30 mm
    Now seems full nads out 6 mm

You should tell them from me it wasn't like this in the war.

Now what is the next milestone with the tesm strengthened by a Samuel Eto Padams type new signing.

• Ouchie - FLM: need to get your running no' if poss.

Sean - really sorry about the delay. Am still in negotiations with the FLM office - I'm kind of cautiously hopeful, but not quite there yet.

Everyone: if anyone knows of anyone else who can't run FLM due to injury and doesn't mind NOT deferring - can they give me a shout urgently. Cheers.

Looks like March 13 is a go-er. Are we just gonna try and practise transitions or make it a full-on effort (ie 15min on/off for two hours)? Personally I'd favour the latter as it'd be good to know in advance what sort of pace I can realistically set off at so I don't die...... 

• NtS, I like the sound of a full-on session for two hours. We could always do a practice beforehand.

Offer of my gym still stands. We could get a row of treadmills there as well I'm sure.

• Hey I was thinking 15mins of giggling at hamfisted attempts of changeovers and realising perhaps the GBR 4x100 squad weren't as inept as we thought but hey I'm up for a full two hour session - esp as the reason I'm coming to London Village is to play football in the evening!  I'll mark it in my (non-existent) training diary as a brick.  Still haven't tried the 30min on 30min off  30min on yet.  I'll try it before the 13th.

Rach where's the gym?  I've heard this Londonium place is a biggish.

OO you were the one who threw down the gauntlet in terms of distance covered with a handicap system based on marafun PB not me.  I prefer finishing position as the yardstick personally - your 1st against my ~200th? Don't go all coy on me now.

I'm officially rooting for Mark Selby in the billiards now ;o(

As you WeRe.

• Oh boy, the marathon is enough for me!  image But good luck and what a brilliant idea! image
  • This sounds mental! If I was fast enough I'd volunteer but can only run that pace for 3 or 4 miles I reckon... in London for the weekend though so will try and come along and watch... will read back and find out where you are etc.

GOOD LUCK MENTALISTS!!! 

• Team

i recently missed out just on the solo week treadmill record, when i attempted it i completed 410 miles in 7 days but then a german attempt completed 430 miles so i missed out on the WR.

i did 48 hours on my own a few years about and did 160 miles.

Good luck guys, if you need a member that has dropped out etc then i woiuld love to take part.

rozzalee2847@googlemail.com

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I 'member dat! Hello Lee! image