Options

The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Options
    Congratulations to all of you.  Enjoy FLM image
  • Options

Quality. Well done. Report on 5 Live this morning whittering about world records being shattered in the swimming - don't know what the word is that describes what you've done to this one. Hope the marathon isn't too much of an anti-climax.

• Options
    What a staggering achievement. I can't imagine how deep you all had to dig to do this. Just amazing.
  • Options
    excellent news to wake up too ...  well done to you all and lets hope for the snippet of TV coverage!!
  • Options
    well done all you record breakers

trust you had fun FLM's as well

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic achievement - looks like we will have to invent a sub 3 forum team run of the year award. Hope you are not suffering too much in the marathon. Mad.
  • Options
    Outstanding - well done everyone who took part!!
    xx
  • Options
    totally brilliant image
  • Options
    I'm gob smacked and awe struck!  Fantastic news!  Well done to all who ran and to those who were officiating!
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Just got home from the marathon (and a few pints afterwards!). Neil's illness finally caught up with him, but he put in a great effort and we all made it round.

Now it's all over need to say thanks to several hundred people:

- Nick, unbelievable effort to organise this (and not bad running as well!)
    - Nick's parents, who also spent a lot of time helping out
    - family and friends who came and supported, sometimes at silly times of the day
    - witnesses, I can't believe how generous people were to volunteer to do this
    - Lillywhite's, it was a great venue and they were very generous in allowing us to use all the facilities
    - everyone who posted on here, you kept us going
    - everyone who donated, it's going to a great cause (there's still time to add more donations!)
    - last but not least, the team, who are all legends and whose banter kept us in good spirits despite the circumstances.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but you know who you are!

Might have a rest day tomorrow. Maybe not though.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    By the way team (Crab in particular), no t-shirts were on offer today. Kempez gets a notional one for pipping me by 0.08M on the treadmill though - whatever target I set he just kept beating it.
  • Options
    Amazing. Well done to all of you.
  • Options
    TickTockTickTock ✭✭✭

Excellent running by you all. Amazing world record. And long may it stand.

and Padams sorry for being one of those strangers shouting out your name in the marathon today!! You must have felt like a star ( or at least slightly scared by the random stalkers/lurkers who spotted you).

• Options
    Well done to all of you. A brilliant achievement!
  • Options

How was FLM..?   Did you all stay together..?   What about times for that..?

Totally remarkable day.. and I'm sure you will all sleep well tonight..

• Options

Just wanted to echo all Padams' thank  yous - witnesses, supporters (both in person and online) and donators we really couldn't have done it without you all. Awesome stuff - as others have said, it quite literally kept us going at times.

Just need to add one more and that's to Dan from RW who's been a stalwart throughout..... these pages won't quite be the same in a week or so's time. (Sent you a text - could you email me some of the best pics when you get a chance - GWR have requested some.)

The team (or should I say "Nick and his mates" as those eloquent folks from Guinness dubbed us on our shiny new record certificate) have been truly unbelievable. Won't dwell on it but here are just a few facts that you might not have been aware of that pretty much sums up how great these guys did:

Phil and Neil both ran massive pbs in Paris marathon less than 5 days before the WR.
    Despite being dubbed (by someone who knows a thing or two about mental endurance events) as "the hardest thing he's ever done" Rach and Kempez kept up their pace unswervingly throughout the whole thing even though neither of them has ever run further than a half-marathon before - and in Kempez's case he's never raced longer than a 10k! Orinocho did a comfortable sub-4 marathon today on absolutely NO SLEEP. I think I'm right in saying that Crab and RB averaged faster than their 10k pace throughout which unbeliavble (though I'm sure in Crab's case this is due to the fact that he doesn't try in 10ks) I could go on easily..... 

FLM was...... overall slightly better than I expected it. But given that just three hours before the start I was desperately trying to keep my guts down both on the treadmill and afterwards in front of a gaggle of witnesses and supporters, that doesn't mean it was exactly pleasant. But we got round. Gav (RB) hacked round in 3.17 then Crab and GR were 3:40-something, Orinocho was 3.51 and then Njord, Padams, Neil and I stumbled our way to about 4:16.  

I'm sure Padams and Crab will between them work out a way to extract the final treadmill  stats from Crab's lap-top and post em on here (but when they do - don't forget to change the fact that I only ran 14 min on my final stint by accident - don't wanna be robbed of those coupld of seconds on my avg pace!)

And that (on all sorts of levels) is it from me..... flying to a sunny beach tmrw morning, and pretty pleased the fact too. 

• Options

good one Nick and (once again) well done to you and " your mates ", both for the record and for today.  Un-bloody-believable!  Incredible stuff from you all.  image

Now go and have some rest all of you before you collapse!  I dare say some/all of you will be out training tomorrow because it's a Monday, fresh week and all that!  Nuts, but brilliant talented and so damn humble to boot.  Incredible.

• Options

Hail Hail

back home in sunny Glasgow.  Can I just pass on my thanks to everybody aforementioned.  But also,

Everybody who came in as witnesses (you all know who you are) - to put up with sweaty, smelly, grumpy (Crab) folk like us for 48 hours is beyond the call. 

The masseuse whose name I didnt get.

Nick for organising the damn thing - thank you SO much for letting me be a part of it.

Crab for getting lost during the marathon - I dont think I could have handled his 8 (!!!!) pit-stops.  GR is a braver man than me!

Right - curry time.  More details later.  WELL DONE TEAM!!!

Oh aye.  Our next WR attempt is something to do with knitting scarves, but its Crabs baby, so sshhh.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one lads and ladies. Having seen a lot of this event I can only tip my hat at how well you all did.
  • Options

Hear hear RB. Massive massive thank you to all the witnesses and to everyone who came along and supported.

It was a pleasure to be part of the team and quite an inspiration to see some of those speeds being ramped up on the treadmill. Loved the Kempez and Padams battle, and CRaB's running commentary during his own stints.

I've uploaded some pics that Gobi took on the Friday evening shift:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rach_e/sets/72157604483588853/detail/

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done to you all RECORD BREAKERS, well done an awesome achievement.
  • Options

I Just wanted to echo what the other guys have said. A huge, huge thankyou to all the witnesses and to all of those people who came to support us and posted on this thread. Your messages of encouragement really helped to keep the team going so thank you! Again thank you for all the donations that were made for this sterling cause!

A big thank you to NTS for making all of this possible and the hard work his friends and family were putting in to get this whole thing of the ground.

NTS thank you  for asking me to get involved in the first place. I feel very fortunate and proud to have been running with some truly inspirational runners! All put every ounce of energy, tears, sweat and even blood in Rachels case into the challenge to rack up the mileage!

Rachel, Neil really incredible performances and tread speeds with those stinking colds you guys are truly relentless!

Loved watching Crab and Rb battle it out between each other and the what seemed effortless running at such speeds from Padams!

Well earned rest day for me tomorrow i think!

• Options

Wow! What a blast that was.  Wonder if I'll ever enter the hurtbox to such an extent again?  Write it down on paper and it makes no sense - you'd be laughed at. It happened though but it would seem GWR and the BBC deem knitting and dressing up to be far more impressive. Wasn't about (self)publicity but TOMMYS is a blidy worthy cause and so many people (not just the 11 legends and a grumpy, skinny w@nker with a funny gait) gave so much to make this happen it seems a real shame it wasn't embraced.  Graham Poll did one marathon not very quickly though.  Enough already but you see the point.

Echo the sentiments above about the people who did so much from the goodness of their hearts.  Every bit as noteworthy a keeping a treadmill turning in my book.  Thank you soo much to each and everyone of you.

I'm gonna single one runner out for special praise and that's GR. Well into coffin-dodgery and prepared to sacrifice a good shot at his ultimate FLM for the chance to take part he developed painful blisters within the first session.  Never asked for special dispensation and churned out session after session as fast as he could and much faster than he had expected to do.  He was struggling within the 1st mile of the marathon and doggedly refused to wilt for even a moment.   I think it's fair to say he was hanging on for dear life from at least mile 8.  That's an awful long time when TBH there's little or no vested interest in the outcome.  Takes real NADS that.  Great to see. One tough cookie son - most impressed.

padams Remember the/my rules?  Measure a distance, run it and be judged on the results.  I'm getting my T-shirt whether you like it or not ;o)

As you WeRewolf.

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

More sincere thanks from me to so many people who have sacrificed time, effort or money to make this a success.  An awful lot of work has been put in behind the scenes - running on the treadmill really was the easy part.  

Nick, Cherry and Guy - humbled in particular by your efforts. 

Team - at times I was inspired, amused, offended, and embarassed.  Privilege to run with you.

• Options
    JUST GOT HOME,WILL CATCH UP TOMORROW BUT WELL DONE TO THE TREADMILL WORLD CHAMPIONS
  • Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

Just signing out for tonight.
    Echo all the comments that have been said thus far. Thanks very much to all supporters of this both online and at the store. They kept us going through moments that to be fair were bliddy painful.

NTS You are a star. Have a great holiday and cheers geezer for letting me be a part of such a wonderful experience. Big cheer goes out to the flu man Neil who despite feeling carp throughout, just nailed it everytime. I promise I won't try to turn you in Edinburgh image Shout out to Padams and Philpub, 2 of the most honest, sincere and genuine people I have met.

I will be lucky enough to meet a number of these folks in bonny Scotland, but CRAB, you have a right gash taste in music!

Well done All.

P.S.  Tweetyateallthepies- I was running when Mini Tweety pulled the sign out. Was one of the very  memorable moments of the weekend. image

• Options
    Fantastic - just home and found out the news. Well done
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
  • Options

odeon, i am humbled you think that mini's sign was a highlight of the weekend.

a tremendous effort by all concerned.image