The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

1252627282931»

Comments

• Well done to you all congratulations you should all be very proud.imageimageimage
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Just wanted to echo a lot of the words from my fellow team mates, especially regarding the sterling effort from volunteers who gave up so much of their time, and at such silly times of the day and in some cases during their crucial FLM taper period!

There were some seriously heroic efforts amongst the team, especially in the face of illness, and at the same time a healthy bit of inter-team competition really spurred us on to keep getting quicker and give it a bit more. I was particularly impressed by those ramping it up to 19kph or quicker, knowing they had another 26.2 to go.

Finally thanks for all the online support.  In contrast to the quizzical "What the hell's he doing?!" looks from nightshift workers and various creatures of the night at 4am it really did keep us going to know that so many people were supporting the cause and checking in on our progress.

Hungover in more ways than one this morning.  The last pint Ode bought me was 7% ABV and boy, did it taste good!  image

• Hail Hail

PP - you got beer?  Dont make me sick.  I had to make do with G&Ts on BA flight home. 

The team all have mail.

• Not much I can add to what has already been said, but just so pleased to have been a part of a very special team effort.  My thanks to all who helped to make this event happen.

A lot of money for Tommy's, a world record, new friendships, memories that will last forever - what a great weekend.

• Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭

Wow what a weekend

I'd also like to start by saying what an absolute privilege it was to be a part of this amazing event so many happy memories.

A hugh thank you to everyone involved in the organisation to get something like this off the ground took a great deal of time and effort from many quarters.A special mention to team Morgan,all the witnesses who gave up so much of their weekend to watch 12 smelly runners on a treadmill,Deb the masseure and all the forumites who popped in to wish us well it was great to meet you all.

I must also say what a lovely bunch of people the other 11 runners are some truly amazing athletes.

It has to be one of the toughest things I've ever done in my life probably not helped much by picking up a nasty blister on the very first treadmill session I was even contemplating doing a zola budd and running barefooted as my shoes were rubbing so badly however once the adrenelin kicked in i forgot about the pain.

Another low point was getting an attack of cramp in the middle of the night whilst stuck on a top bunk in the back-packers hostel I couldn't find the ladder quick enough almost broke my bloody leg getting down

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise to the rest of the team for leaving them during the marathon, we had agreed to try and run it together but i was in such a state it took me nearly 2 miles to catch the bloody Maasai warriors we ran together for about 5 miles but when some of the lads wanted to stop for the toilet i was to scared to in case i couldn't get going again however I ran with stef for a few miles before we were joined by Crab. Rumour had it Running Bhouy was determined to get to the press tent first so he had shot off.By about 6 miles i was in bits i just wanted to walk off the course and had it not been for Crab sticking by me,getting me drinks and generally encouraging me i would have had a big DNF by my name......thanks mate it really meant a lot

It's a bit of a shame the BBC didn't go with it as I'm sure the charity would have benefitted more It appears you've got to dress-up in a silly costume to get the publicity...ah well it didn't spoil a weekend I'll never forget

Thanks once again to everyone that showed an interest

hoping to get back doing a bit when my big toe isn't quite so big

• http://lh5.ggpht.com/GorgeousPig/SALzf9M3H0I/AAAAAAAAARg/k-Nxd4HlCcU/s144/DSCF4282.JPG

We came and watched. Very impressive

Well done to all of you. 

• Found some footage of RB practising our changover technique.  Got a feeling he was expecting to be taking over from kempez and not me though ;o)

As we whirrrr.

• JjJj ✭✭✭

Can't see if this has been put up yet - apologies if it has, but it's only from my phone:

A motley, heroic crew. 

• Absolutely fantastic - well done to everybody.  So pleased you made it and it was an absolute privilege to witness this.  And you still beat me at FLM! (as I knew you would). 

Many congratulations World Record Holders image

Why have I not seen anything in the papers though?

• Is there a website for this.  How did it go?
  • I think (or I hope!) RW will put up a page about it soon John. We covered 496 miles in the 48 hours, breaking the record by 80 miles. A truly amazing experience for all, I think. I didn't run the marathon afterwards (8 of the team did!) but even so, I don't remember being as tired as I was on Sunday afternoon and Monday.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Final stats:

Total distance = 495.76M
    Average pace = 5:49 min/mile = 16.6kph = 10.3mph

Runner Miles Time (mins) Pace (min/mile)
    RB 42.22 240 5:41
    Crab 42.75 240 5:37
    Njord 40.16 240 5:59
    GR 40.10 241 6:01
    Neil 41.88 240 5:44
    Odeon 39.88 240 6:01
    PP 40.89 240 5:52
    Padams 44.35 240 5:25
    The Stick 40.73 239 5:52
    Kempez 44.43 240 5:24
    Orinocho 40.57 240 5:55
    Rach 37.80 240 6:21

Group Miles Time (mins) Pace (min/mile)
    1 165.24 961 5:49
    2 166.99 960 5:45
    3 163.53 959 5:52

The chances of those tables looking OK are pretty slim!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Yep, as I suspected! Oh well, I'm sure you can figure it out!
  • Ridiculously good figures there - oh put up one of the changeovers on you tube last night-will get the link to it later- well done everyone.
  • Just a quick update on the final charity total. Sadly we were hit pretty hard by the fact that local council rules wouldn't let us collect at Lillywhites itself and one crucial sponsor (who shall remain nameless!) backed out at the crucial point, but even so we've managed to collect £19,315 so far and have been pledged about £6000 more which has yet to actually be collected, so not a bad effort. Be nice to get to £30k though so if anyone still fancies chucking in a few quid - the place to go is:

WWW.TOMMYS.ORG/TREADMILLRECORD

Many thanks again to all those who donated or gave us a shout! Same again next year? (Not on your life...!) 
  • Hail Hail

Well done all!!

NtS - it should keep coming.  Folk keep coming up and saying well done and pressing £20 notes into my greasy palms!!  BTW - how about the 7 day record?  With balls of green and white wool to keep us amused!

• What's the 7 day record?

[sorry - I couldn't help myself for asking]
  • Nah nah nah - I have my fingers in my ears - and am trying not to hear you....