The Official RW Forum Treadmill Record Attempt!

Comments

• Hi All.  I am available for the duration as well.  Count me in for as many shifts as you like.
  • Hi NTS anytime after 11.30am will be fine to call!

Hope to have another session tomorrow of 30 on 30 off etc so will let you guys know how this works out.

• Hi guys n dolls

Gonna have to flag my attendance at the 'see how good we can get at landing in a heap at the back of the mill' session tomorrow.  Real shame as I was bang up for it.  One of my lids has gone and got herself selected for a swimming gala tomorrow afternoon and given what it meant to me to have my parents there for me the decision was quite easy.  Not sure my dad ever pulled the plug on WR practice to attend though!! 

On the scheduling front I'll give people until the weekend to come forward and rule themselves out of any part of the attempt.  Otherwise it'll be assumed that everyone (bar RB) can be available for the full 48hours.  Of course bribery is fully acceptable should anyone want to avoid the graveyard shifts.

As you WeRe.

• Think RB is around for the whole shebang now too which is good......

I'm currently laid up with the man-flu so looking like I may have to hold off a proper practise session till next week. Lots of other exciting stuff re: celeb involvement/corporate sponsorship and team massages bubbling under though - will keep you all posted as and when it become definite.

• Hail Hail

Yes indeed, Crab, if you'd bothered to properly read the posts, you'll have seen that I am now down on Thurs eve, so will be there for KO.  Still looking for a bunk though?  Any offers?

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Broke my treadmill virginity last night with 6 miles at 6 m/m - the fastest I've run in about a year, so I didn't want to risk a second session after a 30 minutes CRAB-stop.  I'll give the double session a bash next week.

Learned two things:

1.  I'm gonna sweat a lot.  Towels, replacement electrolyte, vaseline on eyebrows and grippy soles are the order of the day.

2.  Don't accidentally hit the emergency stop button half-way through the routine.  Not only did I lose time restarting the treadmill, but more alarmingly the treadmill reset the mileage!  I'm happy to admit to being a clumsy, uncoordinated muppet who should probably be running in a strait-jacket, but the treadmill did have the emergency stop button rather too conveniently positioned on a side bar at elbow height.

• Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

NTS- You have mail. Computer died on Saturday so was without any access till last night. Typically, the old one fired back into life this morning first go when I tried it image

CRAB- I have tickets for the theatre on the Friday evening so count me out from 6pm till midnight if possible. Other than that I'm fine for the whole thing. Going to try the session Friday evening 30 on with 30 rest then 30. May struggle to do 6mm for 4 hours (or even 2), as probably will be one of the slower ones.

• May struggle to do 6mm for 4 hours (or even 2), as probably I will be one of the slower ones.

Don't knock yourself. Still comfortably better than I'm able to do Ode!

My PB for 5 miles is only 30.57. Way too slow for the World Record team, hence my retreat onto the bench.

Think I could have ground out a reasonable series of 20 min 5k reps but based on my knowledge of the squad, that wouldn't have been even close to being top dozen quality.

Reckon in the end that you'll surprise yourself with what you achieve. Whatever it is, it's certain to be better than I would have managed.

Dull

• Nice to see your cup 3/4's empty as ever Dull ;o)

So yesterday's practice was a rip-roaring success then?  Seems we're taking this far too seriously and being far too professional. 

So apart from Ode I'm assuming everyone is available for the duration of the event and the only special needs request was from Hezza for his beauty sleep.  If you need 8hours son how about you have them after bashing out 40hours at 6m/m pace?  I think the rest of us can handle the remaining 8hours between the 11 of us! Not sure we've had confirmation from the latest recruit (I can remember her name honest) on availability - certainly seems to be living up to the tag of Lesser Spotted that one.

Consensus seems to be for something considerably less than an hour in stints and considerably more than pairs for the groupings.  I'll try and knock something out over the weekend.

NtS what's the Bobby Moore with regards to the following* :-

Ventilation
    Hydration
    Nutrition (bound to be a Maccie D's nearby I guess)
    Apparel
    Scoobies (I'm sure there was once talk of potentially wearing a sponsor's brand)
    Changeover rules
    Changing facilities
    Potential for onsite power napping
    Transport to FLM start (will the road closures affect us?)

Oh and I'm assuming you haven't overlooked the need for a treadmill and a stopwatch ;o)

* not expecting you to have them all sorted or sort them all yourself (and it's not an exhaustive list) but I guess they all need covering off before the B of B-A-N-G.

As you WeRe.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I thought of a minor technical issue on my way in to work this morning.  Apart from bucket loads of sweat I also seem to produce quite a lot of static electricity when I'm on the treddy.  Electric shocks at ~16kph are bloody annoying.  Is the machine going to be earthed in any way??
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - I find that on certain treadmills as well! I didn't get it on the one I used last weekend though, so it must have been earthed.

CRAB - I don't really need 8 hours (actually, can't remember the last time I got 8 hours!).

• Hail Hail

NtS - let me know if you need any more "friendly" contacts for points 2,3,4,5 on Crab's list of demands.

• Ok - good stuff Crab, though you may have to pencil in an either/or on your schedule as it looks like Heidi may have to withdraw coz of injury (GR - how you doing on that front?). So the man who's already come off the bench more than Ole Gunnar (ie Dull) better ready himself again, though I've also had some tentative interest from a 2.57 marathoner. Will keep you posted as I REALLY wanna get the team done and dusted this weekend because, as you so rightly point out, there's plenty more to do.

Also - just to balance out Ode's request, I'd LIKE to take a Friday night shift if poss as I have a very large contingent of supporters turning up then so I'd like to give em something to shout about.....;0)

As far as your list of your points all of em are being organised even if none of em are actually sorted 100% so far ;0) Static electricity is a new one on me though..... I'll make sure I check that out too.

In short though, there will definitely be some form of hydration/nutrition constantly available - it's just a case of selecting who to get it from and whether they will give a charity donation in exchange for the effectual advertising.

Clothing is still a maybe at this stage - there are all sorts of variables being batted about on this and quite a lot of corporate politics involved. But I'll let you know any developments as soon as I do.

Ventilation is probably my biggest concern. From what I understand, the shop has to be on a constant air-conditioning setting when it's open and that's gonne feel verfy warm for us (I think we can set it cooler when it's shut) so all we can do is fill the window display with fans. So - it might be best if those that don't mind a bit of heat take the day shifts and those that struggle (ie me) take some of the graveyard options...

Guinness are being a nightmare on changeover rules. But I WILL get an answer asap.

Should know onsite facility details after I speak to the guys and gals at Lillywhites early next week - will post on here as soon as I know.

Have looked quite extensively into travel to the start-line and am currently assessing options. Basically much depends on whether we need to be at the start-line early for some sort of celeb certificate presentation. And if so, whether everyone is gonna come to the green start first for that and then head to their own starts or whether only the green-ers do the presentation etc. Basically we have two options though - we either jog the half mile to Charing Cross (well, we won't have done that much running by that stage will we....) and get the train down to Greenwich (which takes about 30min). Or we get taxis/cars to take us direct but will have to be careful plotting a route that avoids road closures. Either way it may mean we need to go 7.30am-7.30am rather than 8-8. Any input on this (particularly the road method) would be much appreciated...

That wasn't that short really was it....?

• Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

Right. Tried the 30 on, 30 rest, 30 on again with the rest consisting of weights press ups and sit ups. I do have a fitness test to pass you know image

1st 30 @ 15kph felt fairly comfortable and tbh honest pmp come Ed if all goes to plan.

2nd 30 did 1st 10 mins @15kph with last 20 @ 15.5. Was working a wee bit towards the end.

I would hope that 4 more weeks of heavy training, no beer will bring the 15.5kph into the minimum speed I would maintain over the 4 hours with a couple of spells at 16kph. This would give me just over 38 for the 4 hours excluding changeovers.  Be nice to hit 480 tho...

• Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭

Evening all,

After thinking my running career was over due to taking 3 complete  rest days with a back niggle  I'm pleased to report that things have improved somewhat and its all systems go again.

Just to test the old back I thought I'd have a bash at the 20mins on 20mins off @ 10 mph (old treaddies down my gym) Only managed two of the 20mins on as i was a bit short of time.I felt i had to work fairly hard towards the end of the second bash however more troubled with a stitch from drinking water after the first burst so something for me to work on.

I'll try the 30 on 30 off next week sometime....still hopeful of gettting somewhere around 38 miles in my 4 hrs however if the team want to go for more miles I dont mind doing less and letting the speed merchants clock up some of my quota

One important point to add is to make sure the treadmill gets set up level at the beginning as i dont fancy running 6m/m on a camber

Back doing a bit 

• Nice little thread going here, shame I am taking FLM seriously otherwise I would have been well up for it! 

Anyway, due to adverse weather conditions on Sunday, my LSR went indoors and I knocked out 22 on your soon to be best friend.  A couple of things to consider / think about but I'm sure you'll already have most of them covered or thought about...

Sweat - loads of it when doing my 2.5hr stint.  I think the majority is caused by poor ventilation so fans will be a huge help.  Also, the excessive sweat meant my shorts stuck to my legs and caused a bit of chaffing.  I don't think you guys will have that problem as the time on treadie sounds to be around the 30 min max mark.

Treadmill automatically turning off - My one turned off after 99 minutes and another one I used a few weeks back turned off after only 60 mins (how considerate).  Check how long the ones you are using go for as this will be a major pain.

Spitting - Some people spit when they run and I do too sometimes.  I didn't feel the need to until I took on a little water.  The water seemed to mix in my mouth with god knows what and I just had to spit as it was all gooey... Again, may not be a problem with shorter stints but maybe a sweat and spit bucket could be accumulated to break the "Most bodily fluids expelled in 48 hours" recordimage

That's all from me for now and my vast treadmill experience...  I will be down to support you at some stage.  An idea on how to get extra dosh - maybe you could have a 2nd treadie (in addition to the backup one) for guest appearances where people can donate to have a go at keeping up for a while, although maybe that's not other's idea of fun... How about 20 quid to control the speed for a couple of mins of each stint (up to a maximum of say 12mph)... Gotta keep you record breakers on ya toes!

• Okay after extensive work with a bit of graph paper and a Staedtler HB over the weekend I have come up with the following :-

NtS - a bit of Friday night
    Ode - none of Friday night

So the if the rest of us just turn up when we feel like it I'm sure it'll run like c(l)ockwork and we'll bag the record.  NtS if it's getting a bit of a long shift on Friday night give me a call you've got my number.

There wasn't too painful was it? 

As you WeRe.

• Hail Hail

Put your heart and soul into it didnt you Crab?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    An HB is too soft for graphs, thats more for sketching, I'd go more for an H or 2H.

Wouldn't fancy holding the spit bucket - even if it gets you ratified by Norris.
  • Spose I have overcomplicated it a tad. I'll see if I can simplify it a bit.

And as for the jerk in the Tango singlet - when I want running advice I'll ask for it okay*?

As you WeRe.

* Don't hold your breath ;o)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not sure I offered any, I thought it was more pencils and spit buckets. I carry neither when I run.
  • Hello all. Sorry if I've not been around (and if I've missed anything). I've been away and have been interviewing intensely (which means an imminent departure from my job - although I am still going to try and get them to let us to use it).

Am rather disappointed to live up to the reputation of a "lesser spotted" so I promise to do better.

All my email accounts have been silent, so it may be I've missed something. NtS - I presume it's the gmail account you're using?

• Oh and CRaB - Gobi's informed me to give you some grief for not knowing who I am image
  • Hail Hail

Rach - I fear that to be "better" than a lesser spotted may take some rather drastic surgery.

First attempt at the 30/30/30 session this morning.  Was rather too tight for time, so it ended up as 2M w/u to gym, 6M inc 5M @ 16kph, 10min stretch, 3M @ 16kph.  AOK, with the only issues being getting up to speed properly (a 2nd 'mill or turbo trainer to allow proper warm-ups will be required), and finding that I cooled down very quickly, and the 2nd (3M) session was done in rather unpleasantly cold wet clothing (I reckon 4 sets of shorts, socks, tops will be needed).  Gonna try some more WRP stuff later to see how the legs hold up to a 3rd & 4th session.

• Rach - so sorry, just looked back and realised you've somehow got removed from the email group list. Will rectify and send you all relevant stuff.

Just got an email from Metro - they wanna do an interview this week. The word is spreading......

Oh and cheers Marders - I did run the `random punters trying world record pace thing' past Lillywhites but as I was saying it I kind of realised that it's not really feasible for obvious reasons (ie safety) but there IS one thing I might be able to do which is similar and would be quite exciting.... we'll see.

Padams - you have mail.
  • Rach E it was the other lesser spotted who I was referring to about being lesser spotted if you see what I mean. Although come to think of it you have been a lesser spotted, lesser spotted of late so I can understand the confusion.  You were the lesser spotted , lesser spotted when Gobi was trying to get his overtop to you at the start of FLM last year.  You've got a bit of lesser spotted, lesser spotted history.  Do you follow?

RB I only own one set of technical cotton apparel!

As you WeRe.

• Hail Hail

Hopefully that will change soon.

• Crabbo - for the schedule, we better put the 12th person as Heidi/Dull as Heidi is carrying an injury and won't know whether she's in or out until March 25th.

Did you get all those emails all right Rach?

The Metro interview went well and they've asked me to send over a pic or two. Obviously we're not gonna be able to get everyone in there unfortunately as we're dotted all over the place, but Kempez and I are gonna practise some treadmill transitions on Saturday in Godalming (near Guildford) and are gonna take some digital snaps then to send to the papers. SO - if anyone else that's within range fancies a trip over to leafy Surrey to get their ugly mug in the paper, give me a shout! I might even buy you a beer after.....

• Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭

Did someone mention beer?

On the train now...

• Ode - Someone also mentioned they couldn't knock out 40x6m/miles too. I reckon there might be a correlation pal ;o)

NtS The art of delegation requires an element of letting go and, I was hoping, belief in my competence might be implicit. If you wanna do the scheduling (if you've got time between getting all the publicity) just say so ;oP

Did some mile reps on the mill this morning but never got anywhere near proper WRMP but they were below OUR WR pace.  Fck those boys can shift can't they?

Stay off the choccie people.

As you WeRe.