Options

East Hull 20

Comments

• Options

Wanted to say a big "thanks" to the race organisers - excellent, friendly marshalls and super aid stations, a great race. Many thanks.

RFJ, Wardi & Carrot Top,
    It was great to meet you. Really good to be able to put some names and faces together and have a bit of a chin-wag. Hope you all enjoyed the race.

Hoping everyone thoroughly enjoyed the event.

cheers 

• Options
    MM - how did you get on?
  • Options
    hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Well organised today and thanks to all the encouraging marshalls
  • Options

Well we managed to get a great race in- would be interested to hear runners comments , especially about the water stations and first aid, marshalls etc as this helps our planning for next year(please try not to be too negative otherwise I won't get any helpers next time!)

the wind stayed away anyway after I had a word with the important one upstairs

cheers

john(race director)

• Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭

Hi John, the event was a MASSIVE success in my view and I will be back to have another go, Marshals, water, time at set places, general organization, sweatshirt EVERYTHING great !!!!!!!!! in my view

Even the wind wasnt too bad and you cant do anything about that LOL image although after about mile 10ish it was head wind as such but hey it was agreat work out and as it was my first competetive race at distance i got a new PB and 20miles on my running CV well done East Hull Harriers 

• Options

I thought it was a great race - no real complaints about anything. I came in about 2.50, so a 'somewhere in the middle' runner. First time I've done the race. Good course, clear mile markers, but boy, the last three miles were hard work. I understand we had it easy compared to last year though!

Big thanks to the marshalls/water station crew who were friendly and encouraging throughout. It looked like a windy job to be standing around for so long, but there were lots of shouts of encouragement, smiles and claps to help me along from most of the marshalls. The end came just in time - very pleased to see the 400m sign! Maybe would've been nice to have the finish clock mounted higher up, so visible from earlier on?

Yet another top as a prize - nice and warm, but very, very red...it will probably be worn at the London Mara and discarded at the start. (That's part of the 'not another bloody shirt debate' though, and not really for here).

Overall, congratulations and thanks to everyone there. Job well done!

• Options

BR,
    How the hell are you mate? Long time no hear.

I found it impossible to keep up with the daily thread, but wanted some forum support on the run up to London, so have been posting on the good for age thread.  Details of todays outing are over there.

So how's life treating you down south? How's Hilly? How you are both well and enjoying life. Are you doing London this year? Let me know how you are getting on - hope to catch up with you at Blackheath, unless you are doing Bath Half, in which case I'll see you next Sunday.

cheers 

• Options
    This was my first time doing this race and I'd do it again. I thought the course was lovely, nice and flat (can't believe someone has put in a review saying it wasn't flat!) with good views. The marshalls were all really friendly and encouraging, especially towards the end when I was struggling. The sweatshirt is nice but an unfortunate shade of red which probably means it won't get worn much. I didn't use the water stations but they always offered me water. I also found the other runners really encouraging which was novel. I paced myself really well (if I do say so myself) so over took a lot of people in the latter stages and they all said well done. A great warm up for London.
  • Options

Read your report - excellent pacing and you seem to be looking good for around 2:35 or better at FLM, especially off no taper.

We're not running FLM this year, but Paris the week before.  We'll be watching though and looking out for you.  Hilly ran 2:14 at a 20 miler last week and I did 2:04, running at just below marathon effort overall.  What is your target for Bath?

• Options

Great race, really well organised. I have to say that the Marshals were probably the most encouraging that I've come across.

I found the last 3 miles very tough and I'm not looking forward to the extra 6.2 when London comes around.

Thanks to the organisers and everyone who gave their time up to help out today. 

• Options
    John,
    I thought the race was excellent, thank you for putting it on. If you could get rid of that tricky hill in the final mile that would help!
    I thought the husband and wife team marshalling either side of the underpass were second to none (my neighbours so I have to say that!)

Just a thought though, possibly a rubbish one but I'll air it, For me the highlight of the race was been in a group of 6/7 all targeting a sub 3 marathon in a few weeks time all doing the race as a bit of a dry run, running at 6-45s. Now i suspect most runners will be doing a marathon, would it be worth 'selling' the race as a pre marathon warm up and have actual pacing groups. You already have runners from all over the north of england, you could become THE premier pre marathon race? - and I guess its testament that its such a good race that that is the only way I can think to improve it??

Good to meet Wardi and a few other forumites
  • Options

BR,
    Paris sounds a great idea, it's meant to be a brilliant race. Sounds like yourself and Hilly are both running well. Good stuff.

Target for Bath is to run a PB by as much as possible. Will be racing a clubmate/training partner and we're very evenly matched at this point, so no doubt it'll be run as hard as possible ; - ) 

• Options

many thanks for the first few comments- i quite like the pacing idea- i'll take it to the committee!  -  as for the hill .............................. just think of it as another method of overload training, youll reap the dividends.  - sweatshirts?? any ideas on colours then for next year, or what do runners reaaly like these days, I am prepared to listen. You all deserve summat for running the race. Could have been worse - already had complaints from horse riders at 7 and 12 miles- nuff said eh?

cheers

john " i'll sleep well tonight " savage

• Options
    I overheard a rider complaining at about mile 12. Miserable so and so. Any news on when the results will be published? As for sweatshirt colours, black is my favourite.
  • Options

John,

Just like to echo the comments on it being a great race. Think I was just behind one of the horse incidents at the start of the loop - can't deny I hung back before the rider got the hoss under control! Still, can't believe you have had complaints - if you have, I'd like to complain about horses getting in the way of runners in the Hull area...fools

Water stations, marshalls, course, friendly other runners, all bob on. The only 'negative' comment I would make is that either my Garmin 305 was way out at times or the mile markers were a little out - a couple measured 0.9 miles and a couple 1.1. Can be a little befuddling that, so if that could be tidied up it'd be even better than it already is.

• Options

Hi John

I really liked the race (my first 20 miler) and like the sweater aswell - it will not be discarded at London!  Marshalls very good, at the beginning.  I have to say this because the one small gripe I have is that at the back (3 hr 24 and a bit for my time) I found the last 3 miles very hard.  In the last 5 miles I passed 2 marshalls who pointed the way to go, but couldn't find it in themselves for a couple of encouraging words.  This would have really helped.  Didn't affect my enjoyment though, and would do it again (if I'm ever daft enough to do another marathon). 

• Options

Hi John

I thoroughly enjoyed the race and will be back again next year.   The marshalls and organisation was great throughout.

One comment - at about 19 miles coming off the track (which I assume was an old railway line) I made the stupid decision to try and jump the small yellow barrier (it was only about 10 inches high!) and got instant cramp in both legs.  The two marshalls sprang into action helping me with the cramp and then helping me to my feet and wishing me well.  I would be grateful if you could pass my thanks to these two marshalls in particular - I appreciated their kindness very much indeed.  Apologies if any other runners were given less attention for the couple of minutes the marshalls were looking after me.

I still got a PB - but then I've never done a 20 miler before!!

Thanks

• Options

a good race thoughly enjoyed it, i found the second half hard work in the wind.  Good to meet up with you marmite and apoligies for not acknologing a forumite at 10m/13m ish really having a battle with the wind by then.

no majour complaints, well organised, everything went smoothly, a very good race. Some of the mile makers did seem a little out (towards the start perticularly), i would personally grade the cource flat to undulating, their are a few bobbles in their, but potential for seriously fast times.

I'll defo run it again in the future

• Options
    I think that was me Carrot Top if the person shouted 'hey carrot top from runners world!' in a bit of an embarrasing fashion!  Was just taken aback to actually see someone as I'm always miles behind.  If this isn't me you are referring to please ignore!
  • Options

john:

alternatives to a another t-shirt:

the (my) problem with t-shirts are that it's another t-shirt...although i guess i could just not take one if i didn't really want it. i did proudly wear mine out tonight though. and it is pleasantly warm.

but because it's another t-shirt, it gets added to the pile of other t-shirts and ends up being used for: sleeping, painting, mending the car, gardening, getting torn up into rags to clean the bike, getting used as as something to keep warm in prior to a race, carted off to the local charity shop.

anyway, how about: some gloves, a beenie hat or socks? could you could get them with a logo on?

or a runner's water bottle? or a mug a la snake lane?

i'd be interested to hear what others think.

...off to bed now, to sleep the sleep of a tired man...

• Options

What a great, fun well organized race. I do not have one sigle complaint. Excellent. Loved the sweatshirt at the end.

Three cheers for east Hull Harriers.

• Options

keep 'em coming - i'm beginning to feel better already

cheers

john

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

John, Would it be possible to email you?

If you email me I could reply, as your profile does not allow email.

• Options

Great  run !!!  Really  enjoyed  thar  town meets  trail  atmosphere ,  marshalls  all  very  helpful  and  enthusiastic

Well  done  East Hull -  definitely  be  back  next  year

Cheers

• Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing the results, I know it takes time but any ideas when they'll be out

Apparently they where on show directly afterwards in the club house but missed my chance to view them

• Options

Hey, John Savage - you already have one interested person for next year's race image.

I've been running for almost 2 years.  Had never done anything athletic before, ever.  At school I was the one always trying to get out of PE lessons.  Did Race for Life in 2006, and since then I've been hooked on running/racing/chatting to peeps in the forum.  I'm slow (10 min/mile is my best race time, and I took a while to get up to that!), middle aged, and not stick-thin, but hey, I love running image.  Anyway, having done two half marathons (with another two to look forward to this year) I'm now (tentatively) thinking, hmmm...what about a marathon?  A 20 mile race looks like an excellent step up from a half to a full marathon, and I was only saying the other day that it's a pity there are not more 20 mile races around.

Will check the results first though (to make sure I wouldn't be last by too long image).

• Options
    Hehe, looked at last year's results and see that there were 4 finishers over 4 hrs.  If I could maintain 10min miles, then I should finish in about 4.  I might even have gotten a bit faster by then image.
  • Options

oops, dodgy maths - used the RW calculator for a recent 10 mile race time and it predicted just under 3:30 for 20 mile image

• Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭

RTG - you'd be fine mate, this is an excellent event and well organized, I think the weather was almost perfect yesterday although there was a fair breeze during the 2nd half of race but not as bad as last year apparently (wasnt there then)

This really is quite flat with undulations in places as such that make you work a little (I'm from Lincolnshire Fens so ups and downs are noticed more), as a regular Full Mara runner I'd say this is an ideal prep race for a full mara and at the VERY least it could be used as a long training run with lots of company

If you only ever get the chance to run one 20miler I'd say do this one image