chocolate

2»

Comments

• http://www.ife.co.uk/ExhibitorLibrary/798/thumb_CarrotOrangeSliceSmall.jpg

Well in that case, have some carrot and orange cake.  I just did, for breakfast.  image   (had to get in quick before the kids pinched the last slice).

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I love carrot cake!

I still doubt it would fool my chocolate receptors today.

• What is the point (and the logic..??) of anyone giving anything up for lent...??

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

to feel virtuous Dark Vader!

plus, I was eating far too much choccie.

There is always lots of chocolate lying around at work, and I was coming to work and starting to graze on it before 8am at times.

Hoping to rein the habit in a little - not give it up for good - I agree, life's too short!

• What is the point in training for an Ironman when you could be at home eating chocolate and crisps? image
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭
    hear hear Blondieee!!
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

just need to prove to myself I CAN exercise some restraint...

I'm quite certain I couldn't give up coffee however.

Did try it once a few years ago - it was dreadful. i couldn't function and found myself falling asleep in the middle of conversations.

• Doesn't this come under the area of self control?  K9, you can control what goes into your body - a self discipline; DV controls his training schedule, another form of self discipline.

• I had one of my slightly drunken profound thoughts a while ago about why people were encourage to give up rich food etc for Lent.

Came to the conclusion that as this time of year is known as the "hungry gap" in allotmenting circles, ie not much growing really, just a few spring greens, you're also at the end of your stored onions and poatatoes, and if you managed to dry beans etc they'll be running low too. Carrots & stuff will be getting limp if you buried them in a clamp. I don't know about the storage of meat before refridgeration but would guess if you had any salted down that too would be running low, your chickens probably wouldn't be laying as often.

So...if you have a religious reason to eat less, the little food you have left is going to last longer.  Would people have been eating richer food during winter and like us could stand to lose a little weight?

Just a thought though, feel free to shoot me down in metaphoric flames!

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

Ok well, for Lent I will give up fast food.  This will be fairly easy as I hardly ever touch the stuff anyway.  image

• Kwilter..  that is very thoughtful.. didn't people just eat other types of veg though..?  Cabbage, sprouts, parsnips etc...  also, the use of glasshouses extended the growing season...

As for meat... I seem to recall that it was very much a luxury and not kept for very long after the kill.  Seafood was cheaper....

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Thanks Blondieee - just got my diary out - lent is NOT 40 days and 40 nights....it's flippin 45.

This is worse than I thought. 

That wikipedia article says something about the Sundays not counting...does that mean I can have chocolate on the Sundays???

Mind you - I've just scoffed a large slice of bakewell tart and a few toffees and fudges. Don't really need any more sugar right now!

• PH - Yes!  I am glad someone agrees with me.....Walkers arent the same since they changed them

MMmmm Kettle chips.....Christmas treat - only another 10 months image

• Crisps, mmm. No need for fancy flavours, ready salted is my choice. Walkers lites or Smiths salt 'n' shake.

The first sandwich I made as a kid was a tomato sauce and crisp one, haute cuisine!

Kettle chips are way too hard for me - like those brown reject crisps left at the bottom of a bag of proper ones - they're just wrong.

As for chocolate, there's a creme egg in the fridge but I'm being good...

• Smiths salt n shake - do they still make them?
  • I've given up chocolate for Lent too.

So far, my list for the confessional includes:

The spoonful of  cocoa powder I threw into a venison casserole just to prove that it would work.

A cup of hot chocolate (instant) brought to me by someone at work. I drank it while chatting to her, then remembered ...

Two pains au chocolat. The kids persuaded me to buy a dozen of them. I was about to bite into one when eL Bee! said, "That *is* the chocolate-free sort, isn't it?" I ate it anyway. And then had another.

Those are ALL forms of chocolate that I wouldn't normally think of eating. It's besieging me! 

• Barking

i coupd rant for blood hours about what they have done to crisps

tis a travesty!

• Indeed it is! 

Noone else seems to believe me.......

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

well...

confession time.

Sunday evening I could stand it no longer.......................once the idea that maybe i could have Sundays off had set in I couldn't shake it off

and then I cracked.

50g of G&B maya gold, 50g of G&B white chocolate, a few choc chip cookies lying around at work, and a piece of galaxy caramel later..

felt decidedly sick, but almost 'myself' againimage

back on the wagon again now of course.

• I was always dubious about religion, then somebody told me I had to give up chocolate for lent and that decided it for me.... I am now an atheist image 

Well actually probably more Pagan worshipping the great God Chocolate, his representative on Earth Cadburys and the final part of the Trinity, the holy Aero bar image