Options

Sunday 17th February 2008

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

But I want you just the same..

Been playing this music all week, memories....

WHat: I hope a long potter, shuffle shoes and me

why: I feel the need

last hard: getting text friday from my daughter who is in vietnam and feels ill

last easy: cheering club mates

happy sunday guys,good luck racers and all training for toughies

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    on the dot of midnight, hey how often do I get to start a daily thread??
  • Options

nice one wabo!  i've have no idea on those lyrics though.

good luck everyone racing today.

18.2km for me - 15km of that with the wellington marathon clinic.  nice chatty group, a decent enough pace for me and the long run went so much faster than it does on my own.  i'll definitely be going back. 

• Options

Wabo
    Great timing!
    Hope you get more comforting news from your daughter soon.

What:  Plymouth Hoe 10
    Why:  Opportunity to cruise the red light district of Plymouth with a clear conscience
    Last hard:  4 days
    Last rest:  1 day

Rather looking forward to this race, 10 miles is a good distance.

Enjoy your races & long runs everyone.

• Options

Just read back at yesterday's thread -

BR & hilly
    I'm enjoying your McPostings, but this forum would be a richer place with more regular contributions from your good selves.  Otherwise we may forget that miles make champs!  We have this thing called broadband in Devon, which enables you to post from your own home without going out to buy chips!  Hopefully this radical technology will reach Dorset soon.

Blisters
    Looking forward to hearing about your new training thoughts.

• Options

Morning all

Wabo - hope your daughter feels better

Good luck all racers today.

What: 5 miles (as soon as I've had a mug of tea and some toast)

pm: 10 inc 5 mile tempo run

Why: Focusing more on LT runs than VO2 sessions till nearer the marathon

• Options
    What: Sunday morning track
    Why: It's Sunday morning

Lyrics today: Have to have a think....
    Lyrics yesterday: Autumn Almanac by the Kinks

I know it's not autumn but I do like my football on a Saturday, and yesterday was a double dose of glee for me. I will leave you to guess why.

Good luck to all racers and get-well-soons to the sick and injured. And to everyone else: get out there and enjoy it - going to be another goodie. Bit brassic though.

RFJ Congratulations on your correctly attired XC PB, ably shout-assisted by RFJ jnr.

Blisters Hey, nice outing your honour! And great report. 48 seconds sounds a sizable chunk especially as I seem to recall you have bagged a wide selection of PBs in recent times. Or am I wrong? Sort of swizz about the 2 seconds but I note what you say.

Wabo Hmm sciatica. Oh dear missis, yes, get it sorted. Hope there's happier news from your daughter soon, she's probably right as rain by now.

200 Both your last posts made me smile. (LOL would be pushing it but high wit quotient sir!) Good luck with your race, try not to get distracted by the siren calls....

• Options

sharkie - the arsenal and barnsley results by any chance?? me too
    got the reps done with a bit of a runny nose but throat no worse and then relaxed watching athletics and footie. thing about the oranges is you need to eat them near a bath so you can get straight in afterwards. i suspect the same is true for the grapefruit but i may give them a try anyway TR - on your head be it image

welcome to jen and tiny tia who arrived yesterday

blisters - first pb of the weekend i think!! 30.02 or 29.59 whichever its still a blinking special result

good work at the XC RFJ and jnr. did i miss imski's?

mava and SGQ coming on a treat

scoobs - at first i thought you meant you were doing 13 after the 10 mile race!

good luck everybody with today's races, should be some great reports; NN, 200, AJH, scoobs, tia, hilly and BR and now i've forgotton who else

wabo - good decision, hope you get some joy with that sciatica, been going on a while now

M - amazing how it's so much easier to go faster in the group isn't it? hope it goes well today

WP - just when things were going so well too, hope you recover quickly. did they tell you what to do with the horse pills, are you sure you have to swallow them??

what - 10 miles with julie
    why - she makes me go faster
    last hard - fast bits yesterday
    last rest - 11 days
    lyrics - possibly

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    sharkie, I knew those lyrics yesterday were familiar, love the kinks!
  • Options

Imski reporting in, clink...

First well done on a good big PB by Blisters, good racing by RFJ jr and sr too.
    mava making a spectacular turnaround from being ill to knocking out a confidence-filling 20 miler

on the injury-front: probably overdue indeed Wabo, hope you find help and improvement & WP: sorry to hear about work-incidents taking out the running. Double bad luck.

Welcomes to tia and Jen.

Yesterday's xc on the lovely grounds of Nurstead Court. A lot firmer than expected so change to shorter spikes.
    I feel the effect of going back into higher mileage this week (50 miles covered tuesday to friday) after the cut-back week so not confident at all.
    Start gun goes and after the start/finishing straight we turn right and it's a beautiful moment: the whole field thundering down a hill and it's a deafening sound of a herd of runners charging downhill. Then long drag uphill (not too steep) feel I got carried away at the start so consciously hold back and then down that hill on the other side of the field. Turn right and up to the infamous 'water splash' which is best just atacked hard. Not as cold as previous Fitness league fixture here in December, when they had to break the ice before the race. Then it turned bad for me: a lot of running in bumpy grassy fields with very uneven footing I just couldn't find. Never really twisted my ankles but nearly went over them practically every step. I think my unability to keep my ankles stable put a lot of stress on my calves (been tender all week after last weeks race effort) and when my left calf cramped up 3/4 into the first lap (of 2) I pulled out.
    Bit annoyed about a DNF, but didn't want to risk real injury in a race where I never got into proper race mindset for in the first place. Running is a lot in the mind, and from that aspect I'm disappointed, but from the physical side of things I'm sure I did the right thing. Not much point coming out of a race mentally stronger but injured.

Calf tight and tender today, but fingers crossed no real damage done. Probably another week of relatively easy running needed next week.

What: rest (might try and sneak out for a recovery jog)
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: monday

• Options

Morning all

What - 7 miles

Why - It's sunny again!!

Last Hard - Um...8 yesterday although not 'hard'

Last Rest  - Friday

Hope you all have brilliant days and run's

xx

• Options

Morning folks,

Blisters, what a fantastic PB and time a tribute to your hard work and gutsy attitude.

Imski, sounds like it was a good decision to pull out. Its sometimes all to easy to carry on and end up doing some real damage.

Well runnings to todays racers - its perfect racing weather.

What: same 7 miles as yesterday

Why: its a stunning scenic route

Last hard: Friday

Last rest: Thursday

Went to a guitar shop in The 'Toon yesterday cos I am rebuilding a sorry lump that I found at a car boot. The place was stacked with guitars and all the assorted bits and pieces. "I'd like to buy some machine heads" I ask in anticapation of being shown an Aladin's cave of bits. "We don't stock them". You could have knocked me down with a feather  image . I was informed that I could find them on the world wide web dead easy. I trudged out of the shop almost tripping over my pet lip.

Have a goodly day.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    10M more for me.

Flipping achy legs too - 20M on new scoobies I guess, although I pushed the 2nd 10 abit into thw wind y'day.

I'm off to do some stripping - sadly its just paintwork. Good job really though cos the NE wind has left me with a walnut and an acorn !

All the best to the racers !

Clink - enjoy the grapefruits and the bath.

Imski - tough luck but very wise. My calf cramped on me 5 miles from my hotel when I was working away last year - it was freezing so I ran back, and lost 2 or 3 weeks and DNS the GSR.
    Self massage and stretching helped my calf - plus easing up the running real slowly.
  • Options

Morning all,

Managed my slow 5-mile jog yesterday, pace quicker than previous day, but still having to be `oh so careful` with how I run.

Then went to my 2nd claim clubs presetation night, good evening a two course meal had, some beer and a disco, funny enough I had to pull out of the disco as my right leg was hurting me! but I did survive long enough to do the twist with one of the ladies! image lol

What:

pm: 5-miles same routine as yesterday, looking out for improvemt or not as the case maybe. and thinking I will probably will not be over this knock to jog around the nationals next weekend and will be photographer for my club instead!

Why:

Being cautious with things and wanting no further damage to my wrecked frame of a body! image

• Options

Afternoon,

Imski - right decision, I think.  I can't get to grips with cross-country, though!

Wabo - hope you get a good text soon.

What: 7.5M d&d
    Why: recovery run, but feeling strong, so a bit further than normal
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday

Felt good setting off this morning, so immediately decided on the 7.5M loop instead of the 5.5M one.  Took it gently, especially up the hills, as I did do 13M yesterday.  So, slightly surprised that the fifth mile was 7.39 - probably about a minute quicker than I expected!  And the seventh was 8.03 (big hill in the sixth, so slowed down considerably for that).  All in all, I ran well within myself and it was a faster time (by 1.40) for that route than any other I have in my SportTracks database (I've run this route 7 times in the last 10 months, apparently).  Cool!

Have a good day.

• Options

Morning all,

good luck all those running the Plymouth Hoe 10 - it was my first ever race back in 2005, and it passes right by where I used to live on the Hoe!

Great result yesterday Blisters.

Imski, sounds like a good decision.

What: 2.5 hours easy bike
    Why: base and regaining handling skills since I haven't been out on my race bike since November
    Last hard: 2 Feb
    Last rest: 3 Feb

Good runnings all.

• Options

Race report from the Plymouth Hoe 10.

Got there in good time, nice running weather - cold,  sunny, slightly stiff breeze.

Softish PB to beat - 68:26 - race plan to run 6:40 pace.  This gives very nice check points - 3 miles 20:00, 6 miles 40:00 & 9 miles on the hour.

Set off on an initial loop, down hill, up a bit & back to near where we started - 6:26 - usual over-pace start!
    mile 2 - 6:40 - spot on
    mile 3 - 6:41 - 19:48 so far & on target
    miles 4&5 - 13:30 - missed a mile marker, pace slipping a bit, but double the split would give mme a 67min PB
    mile 6 - 6:26 - getting hard, 39:44 so far & back on target
    mile 7 - 6:48 - still hard & getting slower!
    miles 8 & 9 - 13:39 - still off pace, just over the hour, so slightly down on target but in PB territory!
    mile 10 - 6:37 - to finish in 66:51

First PB of the year, 1:35 off the old one, pleased with that.

LSR tomorrow afternoon, back  to marathon training.

• Options

Lovely report, and nicely raced there 200. That's not the slow plodder you make yourself out to be.

• Options

Sounds good 200, blisters - pb's all round!.

Imski - I think you're absolutely right about the head part of running.  Right decisions don't always feel good.

Wabo, hope the next bit of news from the East is a reassuring one.  Sciatica is nasssty.  Hope you can get it sorted.

Didn't manage 6 this morning - grrrr - got short on time.  Seems to be the story of my life at the mo.  Overlooking that for the moment, it was a lovely run in a magic-frosted world.  Definitely worth it just to be out.  

With only short stretches of time (less than an hour, translates to less than 5 miles) to play with I'm struggling to get variety into the runs.  I did manage to do two longer speedy bits rather than just sharkie bits at the end.  Had to walk through a dizzy spell, about three minutes. I am getting confidence that while they may happen while I am running, they are not actually running induced, hence I am much happier about resuming my run once I rediscover which way is up.  Legs worked well, and I had pretty well forgotten the incident by the time I got home.

Now over in Brum for son2's concert tonight.  Traveling over, wondering how the Draycoters are faring.  Hope all is well with them. 

• Options

Blisters
    Thanks, one day I'll do the first mile at a sensible pace!  I only make myself out to be slow on the sub 3:15 thread, where by comparison I am!  In reality I'm not bad for a Vet 50, 3rd in that category today.

Sharkie
    In case you were wondering, there weren't any over-friendly financially astute "marshals" out on the course.  Possibly a little early in the day for that sort of thing?

• Options

Afternoon

Well done to those training and racing today...lovely weather for it image
    200mins well done on getting a new pb.

The Lytchett 10 mile race for me today and considering it's my club's race, I have to say if it weren't for the fact that I get cheered on all the way round by fellow Striders, I doubt I would run it! The course is hill after hill and with next to no actual hill training in my legs it made for a tough run.
    I was ready for the HUGE hill at Dolmans (7 miles) but unprepared for the following inclines on now energy sapped legs. I hate to say I had to stop a few times to stretch out my left leg, not sure if it's my quad or ITB, but feels bliddy tight on the uphills when I try to push the pace.
    I was however pleased with the final 2.5 miles downhi;ll finish and was able to pick up the pace finishing strong image

I don't think I'll be running this one next year as I'll be in mara training (for London) and will enjoy marshalling on the route encouraging others up those bleeding hills.

Briefly saw BR and Hilly cooling down while I was in the finishing mile, they looked happy.image

Will log on later to catch up with others

• Options
    Forgot to say, despite my moaning (sorry) my time by my Garmin was a 2 min improvement on last years' time for the course...NICE
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.  What a beautiful day it is in Kent again today.  Fab.image

Wabo - hope you can get the sciatica sorted.  Hope junior in Vietnam feels better soon.

Imski - sorry to hear about the DNF but I'm sure you made the right decision.

WP - sorry to hear about your accident.  Here's hoping you're back to normal soon.

Sodahead - loved the tripping over the pet lip line!

Wow 200 - well done on that PB. A goodly chunk off a 10 miler.

Stickless - glad you are dealing with the dizzyness.

As for me...

What: a 5 mile walk along the very muddy Darent Valley Path from Sevenoaks to Shoreham
    Why: it's a lovely day for a little walk and wanted to scout out some possible cross country running routes
    Last hard: yesterday would qualify
    Last rest: Friday

Wouldn't have wanted to run today after yesterday but the walk was lovely.  Some of the route is a bit muddy to be running this early in the year but there are some lovely uplifting views along the way which I'd love to try to fit into a morning run once it gets a bit lighter. 

I feel so lucky that although I live in a town I can walk into full countryside in no  more than 10 minutes.  Fab.  So different to my old stomping ground in Streatham.

Have a great sunday.  Looking forward to some more race reports.

• Options

Afternoon all,

Imski:  Bummer on the DNF, but sounds a wise choice.

200:  Well done on the PB.  1:35 is a great improvement.

tiny tia:  Welcome back, and well done on the 2 min improvement.

• What:  20m for a 90m comeback week.
    • Why:  Incredible bouncebackability or stupidity.  Feels like the latter at the moment.
    • Last Hard:  N/A
    • Last Rest:  N/A

Have a good one.

• Options

Afternoon

Wabo - Hope the Sciatica eases off, not pleasant and you get good news about your daughter

Imski - Sorry about your DNF, but wise decision

200 - Well done on your pb.  massive improvement

Tiy tia - Sounds a testing course, and a big course record, they count too shows you are improving year in year out

AF - Nice long run. <<<Thud>>>>

Wonder how the Draycote lot are doing

What: 18.6 miles
    Why: FLM
    Last Hard: Do you need to ask!!! Ok today.

2 laps of my 9½ mile route ok i know that doesn't add  up but i didn't run right by my house  just the end of the road, and why didn't i run that little extra to make it 19, would be nice, but didn't have the energy  tried to keep HR low throughout but HR started to drift at around 13 miles so still some work to do do saying that none of the miles were over 70%WHR
    This was meant to be a cut back week (oops) managed 49½ miles

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all,

Well done on the PBs, Blisters and 200 mins, great going to both of you.

Imski, wise decision and never easy.

Tiny Tia, well done on your 10m race.

• What - Good long run off being tired, aimed for 15m (wanted 20 but that was alway unlikely) instead got a paceyish 17.75 miles in 2:24:33 (8:09 pace). most of it on the track going round and round and round and round...
    • Why - all in prep for the 6 hour track challage in March..... and mara trg
    • Last hard (Naughty) the last 2 days
    • Last Rest - Fri

Take care all, back up to see Mum on Tues for 2 days, she seems to be off her food and still tiring a lot. (Thanks for all your continued support)

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done 200mins and Blisters on your pbs.

Sorry to hear you DNF, Imski, but sensible decision I'm sure.

TT - you looked in control in the last mile.  Sorry to hear you had problems, but good to be faster than last year.

Lytchett 10 report

As Tia sas, it's a hilly route as my splits will show, but the long sweeping downs allow you to keep the momentum going.

i was 2nd lady having run neck and neck with the first lady until mile 9.  She was less than half my age and managed to stretch out her young long legs on the down takin 10 secs out of me.  I tried to get back to her, but alas she had me beat.  Pleased with my result as I did 65.05 on this course the year I did 2.56 marathon.  Shows me I'm about in that shape againimage

• Options

Today's post is brought to you in conjunction with McDonald's coffee - a satisfying potion...

200 mins - I think they're waiting for the Penny Post to reach Dorset first.   On the way to today's race  were slowed by a horse and trap sauntering along the A road to Poole!!!  Well done on your pb - closer to 180 than 200 I think.

Blisters - well done on the pb.

Imski - hard lines but sounds like you did the right thing.

TT - well raced

Rundown - yes far more consistent, and I feel fitter than ever as the following will show

Lytchett 10...

I wanted to be as close to a guy who had beaten me the last couple of times out in Dorset.

1. 5:22 (178 HR)
    2. 5:48 (183) - in with the right pack but they keep surging
    3. 6:04 (183) - keep with them and this feels comfortable
    4. 5:35 (184) - I could def keep this HR going all race
    5. 5:33 (184) - one or two drop off, including the one who beat me by a minute last 10m race
    6. 5:50 (186)
    7. 5:50 (186) - these 2 are average as I did not take a split - I managed to drop the guy who won the last race (a 72 min HMer) and also another elite vet
    8. 5:46 (186) - my HR shows I have left enough to up the effort with a conservative start - leaving rivals behind, and also people I had not planned on being rivals for a while yet
    9. 5:26 (185) - downhill to finish and not really in distress at all
    10. 5.28 (186) - feeling so good and strong

Finished 4th in 56:46, my 2nd fastest 10 mile ever, and my pb was on a pancake flat course in Yorkshire, whereas this was undulating, especially from mile 5 onwards.  This is 1 min faster than the time I wanted to beat, and counts as a `breakthrough' race for me, lifting me up a notch in terms of whom I will target in future races.  We think this course is 90 secs - 2 mins slower than a flat one.  I'm really very pleased and don't think I've run as well since late 2003 / early 2004.  Maybe this has something to do with taking more detailed advice from obscure internet gurus...image

• Options

BR
    Great time, splits, etc - but even better to feel the confidence oozing from your report!
    I feel the need to know more about your obscure guru, or is it down to the McCoffee?

• Options
    I daren't be too specific or else the wars of 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 will reigniteimage
  • Options

Hi All

There are appears to have been a spate of really brilliant 10 milers today.

I did my first 20M today so I have got that barrier out of my head .

What: 21.6 miles in 3:15
    Why: Needed to get the 20M barrier out of my head
    Last : Not sure if today counts as hard (average pace , just hard to keep on going)

P&D : Advised early pace 20% then later pace 10% . Missed the early pace by 15 sec and CNBA to pick it up later on . Oh Well.

And I have n't got a clue on the lyrics again.