Ahhh..... regrets...

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Got my number this morning. Was fit at time when entered and hoping for a good time. Things went pear shaped over the summer with a torn calf/achilles...

Just to rub salt in this unfit persons wounds - i've been allocated an 'elite' number..

At least i'll be on tv!!!!!! Might do a Frank Bruno for the first 1/2m...

if i buy a URWFRC vest then i can try and promote it....

PS - no need to reply -letting off some very scared and negative thoughts.. as the name goes - i remember when....

Comments

• Big chance of fame- go for it.
    Whats the worst that can happen.

Barkles
    ( Sponsored bt Dr Pepper- Cola it aint)
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    The reason why I'm not doing it this year is because of the crowds. I'd love to do it from the front because it can be a very fast course. What sort of time would you have to have to get an elite number?

What time are you aiming for now, and what were you aiming for then? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to as it's quite personal!

By the way I was quite pleased to get an "elite" number for the Great Scottish Run on Sunday, but the quality of the field is not the same as the GNR.
  • When I can get to your standard Drew then I will be well happy, so am more than intrigued to find out the answers to your questions to "I remember when..." if he, or she, wishes to fill us in on the details.
  • Don't either of you sleep....

Don't mind answering the questions, though I cannot remember the time I put down, i suspect around 69mins, as I was aiming for around 67/68mins.... Now I am not sure, got a few races coming up before so if they go ok then i'll be pleased with sub 1h15 (ish) - since the injury the main target switched to the Manchester marathon the week after GNR, in an attempt for the qualifying time.......

Plan was to use the GNR as a training run - ... unsure what to do now......
  • What time!!! Loks like I have a long long way to go yet then :)

As for getting an elite number, wow!

I cant comment much at all on what to do, I havent been running (this time) for very long, but would be intrigued in what sort of training you do, and you too Drew. As I am getting around top 10% in races at the moment but want to improve just dont know whats the best training.

Ta.

Oh yeah, I dont sleep too much during the week, make up for it the night before a race though.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    NN, to answer your question regarding training. I've got a very simplistic approach to training and have 5 key workouts which I aim to do over an 8 day period.

1. VO2max training session, eg 6x1200, 5k time trial.
    2. Tempo run at 10k pace or slightly under. The "tempo" part varies between 4 & 6 miles
    3. Long run at marathon pace, between 15 & 21 miles
    4. Speed sessions of either 400m or 300 repeats off 2 minute recoveries
    5. Intensive weight training sessions every 3 days

Combined with all of the above I also do conditioning/recovery runs which increase the mileage, currently between 55 & 60 miles per week.

I'm constantly reviewing my training programme to ensure that it's working for me. But I've still got a long way to go!
  • Drew, thats great thanks, I dont really like races over 10 miles, but if you dont do them then once it gets to sept/oct you may as well say the season is over.

I will have to start some long runs also like you have mentioned, have been concentrating on speed this year.

Thanks for the info.
  • Fascinating Drew!

I've long been of the opinion that most of us who are training to improve our times (as opposed to weight loss/ general fitness)train at much faster speeds than the typical schedules would suggest. Have you ever experimented with easing off for a time?

IRW: is your schedule similar?
  • Sorry for being slow in replying - work just always seem to get in the way.

Training varies depending on time of year, as I guess I am still (though moving away from) a track runner. (1500m-5000m).. Winter is Cross counry racing and long reps (1000m reps building up to 10 with 1mins rec, 1mile/2000m reps up to 6 with 90s rec).
    Throughout the year there is a long run on the moors every Sunday, anywhere between 1.5hrs to 3/4 hours (if we get lost).

Spring summer tends to be track work 2/3 times a week, reps between 150m to 800m with either fast pace/long rest or more reps/less pace/less rest..
    If it would be of interest then later today I will put on sample weeks from Summer/Winter etc and how reps build up throughout year...
    Tends to be whatever coach tells me to do, with some argument if its too hard....

I have got a good and long background through, having ran from being 11 (18 year ago) year in, year out. Have always had the speed, and the years have probably given me the stamina..

Reason for moving to road is niggling achilles/calf over last few year, and always said I would do a marathon. Currently run road races e.g GNR at end of track season off little extra training, so have always wondered what I could do.... Will not know by the GNR, but am hoping to find out next year..

Prospect of being classed as an elite runner scared the *&^%$ out of me last night - as I am not at the level I wanted to be at... My problem is that I do quite a lot of local races, and hate getting beat off people I usuall wouldn't. The GNR will give so many people the chance to do this.... don't know why it should affect me so much though, just need to get a grip I think...
  • Hi IRW, thats great to know, and if you could post the info it would be superb.
  • Will do - sorry for the 1/2 page ramble - didn't realise it was quite so long.... hope you didn't drop off while reading...
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    DB, my biggest problems are:

1. I've been running seriously for less than 3 years.
    2. I'm 43

This means that I don't have the time (or patience) to let my running peak over the normal 10 year period (like Paula Radcliffe) or younger runners like Korsa King.

What I'm trying to do is constantly intensify my training to reach a peak in about 2 or 3 years. My mileage will probably have to reach 70 + over the next year or so.

As a result my training routine, subject to injury, will remain pretty constant through the autumn/winter period.
  • I just feel very pleased that we have some very fast runners on the forum who are happy to share their training tips with us.

• Yes its excellent, and so I take it that those times on the URWFRC site are real, when I first saw them I thought someone was having a laugh to be honest, when were these times set, and for how long have you been/were you at this standard for?
  • 10k time set about 4 years ago - finished 7th in the race won in about 28:50 or something daft like that...
    1/2m was in the GNR 7/8 years ago, and surprised everyone... have only ran about 3 ever..

Like I said, predominantly a track runner, and only do the odd road race - been at a decent 'track'standard since 14 really, moving through the age groups into Seniors... Still got some track ambitions left, but running out of time now.... would love to do 4mins for mile.
    Road races used to run for a change of scenery, but am planning on having a serious crack at them. People have always said i'd do better at the longer distances, and have always wanted to do a marathon.... Dreading the prospect though of the pain.... Track races are easy, as you know the pain is only going to last for x number of minutes at most... not 2/3 hours!!!

Current fitness is under review!!! and will be discovered in the GNR. Tore achilles/calf 3 years ago and still have scar tissue from that which has stopped me getting back to top fitness since... Have had very good physio though over last few months, and, for the first time in 3 year, do not have any niggles - touch wood....

Its been very depressing being injured, as it was my first serious injury.... and unfortunately for me came when, according to the books, I should have been at my peak...... ah well... (ps sorry for the ramble... again)
  • Out of interest what is the qualifying time for elite women? 've not done the GNR since 98 after being stuck in traffic for hours with a baby at home needing feeding. At that time the elite seemed a world apart, but not so much these days.
  • I'm not sure to be honest - wasn't expecting one this year - hence the surprised/nervous response when I found out I did..

I will try and find out though - there are some women local to me who will probably be in the elite field, and I know a few of the organisers who can possibly help....

If I find out, I will pass it on..
  • It's very motivating to read about the faster runners and its great that they are happy to share their experiences and tips.

On a lighter note IRW, if you feel that you aren't going to meet the time that you put down then pop a Rhino suit on at least nobody will know who you are then!!!

Only joking....like all the others am envious as hell!
  • IRW, Steady on mate I didn't say I wanted to do it, well not this year, having a bit of a motivation crisis and so am going to concentrate on short races, speedwork, x country and the triathlons I've enered up to Christmas, by then I am hoping the feeling will have passed and I'll start the London training.
  • Since I have told work colleagues, they have been giving me so many options on what to do -shake all the hands, do a Frank Bruno, die my hair, dress up as Mr Blobby - all liable to get my banned from the event for many years to come - they're even offering to sponsor me on how long I can lead the race for - don't think i'll be going for that one.......

Hope my 'thoughts' do help, but since 'joining' these Forums my motivation to progress has gone through the roof - what people go through on a day to day basis impresses and inspires me so much, and makes me feel humble.... Although the training I do may sound hard/fast, I am sure that everyone on these Forums is putting in as much effort if not more in pursuit of their 'goals'...

• What a guy....very cute puddy tat pic too! Good luck!
  • Monique,

Motivation is so hard to get back, isn;t it... I have really struggled this year after my first injury... Doing my 'usual' runs at a slower pace is depressing. I made the mistake of trying to jump back into things, and aggravated the same injury Doh!.. I am feeling more motivated, and these Forums do help - are you using the races to get some motivation back... I am finding it so hard to get into the swing of things, and am unsure how to get it back.... would welcome on ideas on how you are trying to?

Don;t worry, I wasn't going to put your anme forward for the race... I was curious myself, as to the male 'standard'....
  • Re: Drews statement about me being a young runner, with plenty of time to peak.

Dont feel very young today! My knees feel akin to that of a geriatric 90 year old! And thats not because of any gross amount of pain. Its that i've just realised what a sorry state I've let my CMP/PFP get into. I've had it for 6 months for crying out loud! I probably wont be able to run across the road at 43, let alone do a marathon!
    I feel very let down by my GP & health insurance. It was only suggested that I see a podiatist about 2 months ago, my orthotics have only been here a fortnight, the Orthopaedic consultant is NOW only authorizing physiotherapy. God! If only I had of caught this earlier! And now I want to tr for 10km PB before an enforced layoff into the bargain. Dar I say it, running can really suck sometimes. Whilst it can make you feel on top of the world most of the time, sometimes it can make you feel as frail & defenceless as a child.

Rant over. Thankyou.
  • I find that the trouble with getting back in to training after an injury etc. is that we tend to obsess about how we used to run and feel totally demoralised that our performance doesn't match previous runs. I personally have found that by trying hard not to take it too seriously, enjoying the runs and the benefits to your body can actually bring you back as fit and mentally stronger than before!
  • I am using lots of mental tricks to help build up confidence, I don't mean trying to swallow 8 crawfords cheddars in one go, but telling myself that while feeling rubbish and slow it is making me mentally tougher, because the running isn't as easy. I think I didn't take enough of a break after London and then Blackpool was a marathon too far, but I am enjoying the off-road routes at the club and I did manage 4 lengths of front crawl this morning without swallowing too much water.
  • Wolfy,

the cat is far cuter than me, though today he's being a git... working from home and the keys on the laptop seem to be greatly impressing him..... appears to be trying to press them all in a random order.

Apologies if I am coming across as a 'loon'. The effort and dedication most people put in really impresses me...
  • Now on my third serious comeback. To be honest the best thing to do (depending on how long you've had off!) is to forget all your old PB's and start a new set - you're not allowed to do this if you've only had three weeks off. So you can use the following:

1. Personal best (the time your prepared to admit to since coming back from injury).
    2. Age best - useful as you move up the vet categories.
    3. Lifetime best - the victoria cross of running.
    4. Course best - good for hilly courses.
    5. George best - only for use when you've totally given up running and devoted your life to alcohol abuse instead.

IRW - I wish I could run as fast as you, do you think if I try setting my pants on fire it might help?
  • I like the George best best. I also try to run my usual routes the opposite way round, not me , the course. Also have recently been doing them on a bike which is much quicker.
  • Monique - if you're really committed to getting a PB, take a shortcut.
  • Wolfy,

again cannot agree more - my 'name' says it all. Fell/trail running has helped this year. I have done some, and the atmosphere is so laid back and low key in comparison to road and track races.. love them..