What keeps you going?

2»

Comments

• and it wouldnt matter if you did have to start again
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I'm 35, a british hindu asian and until recently have been overweight all of my life mainly due to the lifestyle and all the lovely rich gujrati food. Many of my relations suffer from heart disease, diabetes and other effects due to weight ie bad backs, leg-joint problems and extremely bad bhangra dancing which is more akin to Disney's Phantasia cartoon involving hippos etc etc.

What keeps me going is knowing that I'm doing all I can to make sure I can make the most of my life with my wife and kids.

NRG-B

• CollinsCollins ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone, I hope you don't mind if I join in??

liked this quote from BatFink

"If you're having trouble getting motivated to go for a run, go for a run to remind you of how good it makes you feel, both whilst running and the afterglow once you're done!"

I sometimes really struggle to go out when I know it is a "running day", part of me desperately wants to go, because I know it is really doing me good and part of me just gets really scared - of what? I don't know!

Any tips? It's a mind thing surely??
  • Kitanda - hope your FIL is still fighting the good fight. I lost my own mum to bowel cancer (she had breast cancer some 24 years before - so remission IS possible). It's a horrifying disease, and is hard to witness a loved one suffer. Be strong and never be afraid to hold his hand or dry his tears.

-----------
    What got me running.. was being 16st 7lb.. at 5 ft 3inches.. And trying to run for a bus... need i say more...

I am now 2 stone lighter (well just over 2 stone actually) and run 5k's ever so slowly.. but i still do it. :D I am sure my times will improve as I get lighter. But see results in such things as having lost 4 inches off ONE thigh. :D
    --------
    Collins - as for getting out there.. have you tried laying out your clothes / shoes the night before, and running first thing in the morning? I did this when I first started and was 'shy' of running in public. It worked a treat, as soon as I got up, i'd dress in my 'gear' and be off as soon as I'd had a glass of water.
    I also 'diary' my runs onto my family calender, as it's important to me, but we live a busy life. That way when I say.. i want to fit a run in, there is room in the day for it. :D

Good luck all! Keep up the great work.. you're an inspiration to the likes of me!

• CollinsCollins ✭✭✭
    Hi Folks

Well I just managed to get out there and put one foot in front of the other. I managed 6.2k. It felt really tough going and then when I checked my watch when I got home, I had shaved a minute off my usual time for that route. Strange eh?
    I think Purple Hugs is a great inspiration. To be so determined and to get such a great result is fab. I am also planning to read Jane Tomlinson's book, as I think if she can get out and run with what she was going through, what kind of excuse have I got - NONE!

When I ever do a run, I am going to do it for the Arthritis Research Charity. My niece has arthritis in both knees and has been told she will need them both replaced in 10 years time. She is a single mum to a 5yr old. The arthritis charity's slogan is "Run for those who can't" and it is great inspiration.

I need to make my runs a priority within my life and get my family's support. Instinctively, other things get put first, but my own health and wellbeing are important too.

Keep going everyone. Whatever we do, at least we are able to do it!!!