Friday 7 March

Hmm or maybe I've missed tht thread?

Comments

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the lyrics... I know something that sounds like it image

Scoobs, we've been starting late this week so yes you must be the first.

Roll call for Duchy: you can add me, but I don't know my number! I've written them down on a sticky so should be able to find you one way or another.

Forecast: the gale force has moved to Monday, but it's not going to be a picknick on Sunday either. Trust me to bring the rain!

What: no running, short yoga stretch session
    Why: taper
    Last hard: no idea
    Last rest: most of the week
  • I know the lyrics  image

At least I think they are lyrics.

What: 6 miles easy at lunch time

Why: just pottering along

Last hard: Yesterday - being told that the procedure to fix my achillies was a "surgical compression" with a 80% success rate and my leg in a pot for up to 6 weeks. Frankly, its just not worth the risk as there is no real guarantee that the limb will get back to (1) where it was two years ago or even (2) where it is now. So I have declined the procedure and there appears that there is little else that can be done with chronic achillies tendonosis.

Last rest: yesterday, I was walking out to the running track and I just did a U-turn. Serious case of CNBA

Have a goodly day.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning scoobs.  Nope, not missed it. As usual I've been waiting for someone else to start the thread.

morning all.

What: 6 miles hardish (10.26 pace, av HR 145)
    Why: it had to be done
    Last hard: bits of that were - uphill against the wind
    Last rest: yesterday

Couldnt' feel my achilles at all while running and it's no worse for that run.  I'm beginning to wonder whether I've just knocked my leg and it's just a bruise I can feel.  Don't remember doing it but since I'm almost terminally clumsy that's no great surprise.

Off to a meeting this morning then home to work from home this afternoon.

Have a fun day all.

• evening from a very windy wellington

what: very hard but very slow 10k.  averaged over 6.30 per km yet found it very difficult, even getting a bad stitch at one point.  i just dont get why my running is so extremely up and down right now.
    why: accumulating miles

sorry to hear things aren't so good soda - not great news from the docs. 

• I've been up in Glasgow this week, so quick skim read.

Melissa - sorry to hear gramps is poorly, he is over here? You're coming over soon aren't you? Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery

Mava - sorry to read about your achilles, flippen things.

Wabo - hope FIL is ok.

Blisters - sounds like that tready run was good! Unlike mine!

Ran tuesday lunch time here - 4.75 miles, cut it short due to very sore legs. I hardly ever cut a run short - grr!
    Wednesday I ran on hotel tready. Started off at a nice gentle 6 mph, along comes this chappy who puts his onto 6.5 mph, hmmm. I put mine to 6.5 mph, he looks over and puts his to 7 mph - grrr. So I put mine to 7 mph too (so very childish i know!), HE then puts his to 7.5 mph. WELL! What a show off! I am now in a race it seems. So I put mine to 7.6 mph and convince myself to NOT look at what he does - his doesn't move (I looked). I then hang on for grim death for as long as I possibly can before cooling down and stagger off to the pool whilst trying to look dignified (It didn't work). Meanwhile I also noticed how absolutely FAT I have got as they stuck these HUGE mirrors infront of the treadies. I knew I'd put on weight. But flippen hec!!! 10 stone? I look like a great big fat hefferlump these days. Oh dear, much wobbling was occuring as I was running. I've decided to call that run a tempo run in the name of serious training.. hmm

Anyway I then had to go to the Gala dinner so squished my feet into some high sandals. The problem is that my little toe nail has merrily be going a rather nice shade of purple since Bideford. Little things can be very troublesome. And it rubbed right up on the straps which meant I had to kind of limp my way around the rather grand museum where the dinner was held. Oh well.

But the highlight of the eve? Michael Openshaw - ran for GB in 2001 in the 5000m. His PB is 13.24 - I mean flippen hec! That is SERIOUSLY fast! Guess who was sat next to him? :0)) I got to bore him stupid all night. He he! Very nice guy from Durham who managed to successfull avoid me the next day as I talked running all night. :Heaven. 0)

What: Rest until Duchy now
    Why: I know this is not my marathon so why do I seem to have developed the following ailements (sp)?

Right hamstring is cramping up for some reason
    Calf muscles have turned into concrete blocks
    I am 20 stone
    Achilles? We won't go there
    My little toenail is refusing to behave and just drop off - ouchy ouchy

Happy running - I have the brolly packed.

:0)

• morning

hi scoobs, great story, did you get some training tips from him ? hope you enjoyed glasgow

oh soda, sorry it wasn't good news on your achilles, hope you can find a way forward

TT - bad luck at reading, hope the doc gets it sorted ot for you

happy 50th wabo! hope your father in law makes a qick recovery
    get well wishes to mels grandpa too - i think recovery from a small stroke is generally pretty good so hopefully he'll get back to his active self before long

mava - i don't know what yor job is but could they not give you an assistant, or a share in an assistant when things are heavy?

good luck melli tomorrow and everyone at the dutchy - Nightnurse, 200, tine, AF, scoobs
    and to tigerrunner at ashby. hope you all get good runs

had a great 14 yesterday
    nice confidence builder. aimed for 8.30's and trundled along comfortably at 8.15s  average, managing the faster finish. hopefully it means the lurgy didn't do major damage. starting to taper after this week

what - 5 easy
    why - recovery
    last hard - 3 days
    last rest - 2 days

• Morning all.  Was hoping my new shoes (intended for FLM) would have arrived by now in time to break them in for my 20 on Sunday, but sadly not.  Old DS Trainers it is then.

tinebeest
    If you go on the Duchy web site, they have a list of runners with their real names & numbers, so you can get your number from there & add it to our list.  Unfortunately they didn't have the foresight to include forum names.  Were you full or 20?

Updated forumite roll-call for the Duchy, please copy & update:

Marathon
    Hippo  10
    Shades  24
    tinebeest  ??

AF  332
    Night Nurse  342
    200 minutes  359

Any idea about a good meeting point?

• Morning all,

Glad to see conditions improving for weekend racers.

What: 22 miles on the canal towpath

Why: Need to get my long run in before Sunday and weather looks perfect for it.

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Aw Soda, that's miserable. I'll e-mail you my two bits on the subject.

Scooby - love your account of the gym battle. One of the reasons I won't touch the treadies. One of many. Rest well. I know, and similarly dislike the feeling of being huge. The running bad patch I was in left me bulging, and by way of penance I continue to wear the too tight trousers as a reminder not to nibble, and to eat only one meal at a time. I shall make sure I wear a very uncomfortable pair when I go shopping tomorrow...

Mava, hope achilles improves, and work improves.

Me? somewhat crashed and burned yesterday, picking up the charred bits today. It is going to be a hard weekend, with houseguests. Ok, I like them, they are old friends, shouldn't make me cringe, but we will be doing things, instead of spending time staring at soothing blank walls. Return to bed today would be very attractive today, and probably wise, but also not very possible.

Even knowing I was feeling carp, determined to get out, see if a bit of wind and weather and the possibility of kingfisher would do me good. It was like running through sand with a forty pound pack on. Horrid would describe it. I was determined to run the shortest loop (3 miles ish). Ended up walking. Determined to run the length of Newton Road, to the pillar box (aka Paula) and the lamp-post (aka Jane). Made it, at a sedate pace which nonetheless left me gasping and my eyes crossed and blurred, legs leaden and crotch numb. That was enough.

No kingfishers, but I had to admire a wren that flew through a chain link fence, no hesitation, just a fraction of a second without a wingbeat. I know how I wince running through cattle pincers, and with good reason, I wonder whether it winces too?
  • Hi folks,

What: 2.8km swim; spin set on turbo
    Why: first multisport race of the season on saturday - Clumber park Classic duathlon - 10kkm/40km/5km
    Last hard: wednesday
    Last rest: 6th March

Good luck all those doing the Duchy!

Why are so many male commuters deluded? If your belly rests on the handle bars of a knackered old mountain bike that weighs more than you do with gears in such disrepair that even if you make like a amphetamine-charged hamster you still only travel at 5mph, you really are not going to be faster than me so there is little point in squeezing past to take up a position ahead of me at a red light. Granted, I don't appear much like Vicky Pendleton, but I don't look like Vicky Pollard either, and I'm on a wonderfully light single-speed road bike which goes like a (melli-) ferrari. Get the hell out my way. image

Blisters - I do like your posts. The training does improve the rate at which you can shunt blood between the muscle groups but I think a lot of it is mental - you just get used to how it feels.

Melissa - 2hours in total! I don't think a two hour run at that pace after that turbo is possible! It was 15min hard run (L4-5 - about HMP) followed by 65 mins on turbo including 2 x 20mins 'max' (10-15 beats above L5 - about 10mile TT HR so probably could have gone a little harder since a 10mile TT takes me a bit longer) followed by 15 mile hard run. The rest was warm-up and cool down. This is dualthlon specific so you may well not do a session quite like that. Sure you'll do some other equally hard ones though. Running hill reps followed by a turbo 1-7 is always, er, fun. Or a 5hr+2hr bike+run image

Soda - sorry to hear your options are not upto much. What is the risk of doing nothing? Rupture?

mava - better achilles news for you.

Scoobs - Could have been worse - you could have had Michael Openshaw next to you on the tready and treadmill man next to you at dinner image

Stickless -are your houseguests past the age when you could play 'dead lions'? Take care.
  • I ended up working late last night and didn't even make it to the hotel check in before CNBA kicked in.
    On the plus side, nice few pints of Guinnes were consumed with my irish workmates.

What: rest
    Why: early start and more travelling today
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: tuesday

Pretty rubbish training this week, but we'll call it tapering for the xc relays on sunday. We should have a good team out so I'd better run fast...

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    200 mins: we registered in block through the club, and we're not on the list yet, because that was last updated the night before our race coordinator sent our details in. So no nr. Yes,full mara for me.
  • tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    Ok, just checked there has been an update, they've mashed my name a bit, but I should be 104.
    Can't edit previous post image
  • Morning all,

Had trouble with Virgin media yesterday, so unable to get on-line all day or watch anything on tv, how annoying is that!

The bodypump class went well wednesday, I quiet enjoyed it, think I will try and do the class a little more as it does work muscle groups needed for running.

Thursday managed another good session on the x-trainer, and a 10min trot on the treadmill as requested by physio, all good no discomfort so thats good news.

What:

pm: 25mins x-trainer, 25mins bike, 15-20mins step machine plus powerplate and core exercises.

Why:

Cardio day today big style.

RFJ

So so sorry to be reading whats happening, thoughts with you at this difficult time.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

[Creeps in]

Hello folks.  Just popping in to report that I have decided to can my 4th London Marathon.  Came down with a heavy cold a couple of weeks ago, the day of my first 20-mile run (but fortunately I'd finished the run before any symptoms appeared).  Made a bad call to carry on training regardless, and ended up with a chesty cough that made me vomit every time I attempted a run.  Stopped training as felt utterly exhausted.  Got over the worst of the cold, but had to can step-back week 12-miler too after 6 miles as threw up due to remains of chesty cough and catarrh.  Luckily threw up in park and not someone's front garden.  Attempted 20-miler the following weekend, after a couple of weeks of very little running.  Started to suffer big time after about 12 miles (didn't help that my first couple of miles were a touch too fast), then tripped over a tree root and pulled my right hamstring.  Not severely, but enough to force me to run/walk home totally 16 out of the 20 miles.  On top of this I was feeling completely run down, no energy, tearful, permanently tired and demoralised.  I was certainly no longer enjoying my running, and every session felt like a chore.  I was tired anyway from the illness and the demands of juggling a job and looking after a very lively one-year-old - so finally, after much soul-searching, decided to ditch FLM.  I am not the sort of person who could ever be content with just finishing, or finishing a long way below my potential best.  If I can't do it 100%, I'd rather not do it at all.  So I'm just concentrating on getting myself back to full strength and running for enjoyment for the next few weeks, and will reassess all goals then.

Much happier now that the decision is made, but can't help feeling a complete wimp too.

And definitely not worthy of a place on the daily Training thread!

[Creeps out]

• Morning all,

Soda, bummer about the achilles, hope you can find something to ease it.

Scooby, yes, I'll be in Plymouth next week. Will call/e-mail. Your story was hilarious!

Melli, lol at the guy overtaking at lights! I've been trying to ride sedately back and forth to work lately, to preserve energy for training, but most days someone does something like that, or a car comes too close, and I am forced to sprint after them, swearing all the way. The training session sounds brutal - the 15M hard run would take me well over two hours!! I think I'll avoid duathlons. I've got some hard sessions in this current block though.

Stickless, speed and strength to your legs.

Minks, sounds like a very good plan. It should always (at least mostly) be fun, or else what's the point? Love the new photo of Kit by the way.

What: 3k straight swim
    Why: base + down week
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 3 Feb (but one coming on Sunday, and I can smell it....)

Good runnings all.

• Morning..

Re meeting place for Duchy...200 as we all have to get our numbers in that reception / hall place ..why not meet in there ? you and I will have our club colours and easily spotted bright yellow SWRR written in black...I guess we will all be in there at 10...we already know hippo and scoobs so no problem saying hi to them....

Tinebeest what sort of time are you hoping for ?

Scoobs..guessing this is your first 20 miler for London ?..hope all goes well

I am on annual leave this week..and as usual sleep is right up the creek ...my body seems to be on night shift mode..I have spent the last 2 nights up until 4 then going to bed till ..well ....today 11 image..if I go to bed at what would be a normal time I suffer with the most awful restless legs..they just wont keep still..and it gets quite distressing..had this for years ..but seems to be getting worse...doctors recognise it as a real condition now and I was prescibed drugs for it..but I seem to have got used to them ..and they dont work anymore ...I have tried everything over the years..from warm bath before bed to running freezing water on my feet...everything works ..SOMETIMES !!!..other times there is no flipping relief...feel shattered to day...glad I just have a recovery run scheduled...

What : 8 miles easy

Why: scheduled recovery day

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Yesterdays lyrics Pride by U2

Todays, not likely

What: easy 3 miles or nothing
    Why: cut back week ahead of Barry 40
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: 26th Feb
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks for all messages / posts.

Am safely installed in North Yorkshire (Internet in Library) and wont be going south for a few days yet, so have cancelled all races in south (BPTT and Finchley 20) but have got a late entry to East Hull 20, so will be racing in very unfamilur teroritary.... No 385 if any one is going would be great to say hi.... (blue and white stipped vest with a red bandana....)

Mum is fighting on and heavily sedated, will be back at the hospital soon. Running is proving to be a great escape from pressure and stress at the moment...

Yesterday 10 x 400m off 200m rec (1:34, 1:32, 1:34, 1:31, 1:31, 1:29, 1:29, 1:28, 1:29, 1:32) 6.25m in total.

Today 7.5m at MP 57:29 in windy conditions.

Will try and post tomorrow if the library is open.

Regards and take care

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    NN: yoga Hero pose has been rumoured to be good against restless legs, not sure not tried it myself. I usually get it when I am a bit dehydrated when going to bed. Weird.
    What time I hope for? Erm- arriving between 9.30 and 10, total *running* time I’ll take anything under 6 hours and be happy with 5.30 or below image

RFJ: at least the running is providing some relief, but big hugs for you and your family- this must be such a tough time...

Minks: you are worthy of the DTT, what nonsense was that? It was a wise decision. No use to run London with all that, then lose the will to run for the rest of your life!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Clink - Glad to see that the grapefruits worked. What’s the Tergat time ?

Mel – I though that description of the cyclist was me – except my tummy doesn’t protrude. I was chuckling the other week as I ran along Southsea – there was a cyclist on a mega-bucks bike down on his aero-bars - with his stomach resting on the crossbar.
    At least when I get my (cheap) bike after FLM it will have a decent engine.

Minks – tough luck on the deferral – it upset me at the time.

200 – 20M race in new scoobies ?

All the best to the weekend racers, hope the injured folks heal up quick.

Just done my best mile of TI swimming so far – nice and controlled with an average of 19 or 20 strokes per.

• Melissa lol - typo for the second run - it was hard but not that hard. It should have read 15MINUTE hard run. HMP-10mile pace is not possible for 15 miles image

Hi Minks - shame about FLM, but it is supposed to be fun so if the amount of training you wanted to do had become a burden (or impossible) then it is definitely the right decision - and not at all wimpy.

NN - I've had restless legs in the past so sympathies.

FJ - take care and I hope the East Hull 20 goes well.

TR - from the photo, I think not!
  • Afternoon.

Minks ...sorry to hear about having to miss London.

Good Luck to all running this weekend Duchy, East Hull, Ashby 20 etc.

What: 10 miles easy

Why: miles required.

Last Hard: 2 days

Last rest: 7 days.

• RFJ you are doing so well holding things together, running is YOUR thing so it's important you keep it up and get that relief time

nightnurse - must be a real pain to get set in nightnurse sleep mode when you're on hols. are you sure you aren't a little overtrained/overtired with the restlessness?

been having a tough time minks but it made the decision for you really, can't fight stuff like that o get yourself well and you'll be enjoying the training again when you're fresh and recovered.

TR - blinking heck i hope i haven't set off the webcam thingy on this new computer, just had another grapefruit! i forgot how much i liked them till you started me off on them again.
    tergat is looking like 1.34 at present, i may be going for a kitchen sink effort

just seen in this week's AW that hilly has been rightly credited with her 1st lady status from last sunday

• Melli, LOL, have been thinking 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger' but also PHEW that it was 15 mins and not 15 miles.

Another restless legs person here, although mine is an inherited one relating to caffeine consumption. As long as I don't have any after about 5pm, I'm fine, but with my mom and gramps it has got worse with age and my grampa can't even have chocolate at all now!!!

• minks - tough decision, but I guess the right one, especially if you feel better having made it.  Definitely still worth a place on the daily thread - don't go away!

soda - that's tough news

Lyrics - I can think of one song with those lyrics - more spoken than sung and off an album that we had another song from recently.

What: rest - from running, but will do some weights later
    Why: Friday
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Tues

It's a recovery week this week, so I'm not sure what I will do over the weekend.  It will either be 11-12M very slowly with some friends on Saturday and then Sunday off, or it will be Saturday off and a 10k time trial on Sunday.  The time trial is probably better training, but the long run with several friends would be more fun.

• Afternoon all,

Soda:  That prognosis sounds a bit grim - I don't suppose a 2nd opinion's much good if he's the top man?

Melli:  Good luck at the duathlon; be awesome.  You don't seem to have tapered much - isn't this a key event?

Minks:  "I was feeling completely run down, no energy, tearful, permanently tired and demoralised." Sounds like normal marathon training to me.  image  A tough decision, but the right one I think.  Spring Mara to get your GFA back?

NN/200:  I'll keep an eye out for the vests.  I assume you look like your photos as well?  I don't, and may well have changed into a large cockroach.  70mpw and you still have restless legs?  You need more mileage image

RFJ:  Glad the running's helping - good luck at the EH20.

We had lyrics from this band/album twice this week - yipee!

• What:  13m medium-long run 
    • Why:  Taper  image
    • Last Hard:  Tuesday
    • Last Rest::  N/A

Good luck to all racers, good training to the fit, healing vibes to the lame and lurgied.

• Tinebeest..yoga ? how does the hero pose go ? I used to be bendy..but not now LOL !!

Clink..no it doesnt have anyhting to do with training..I have always suffered with it...and I have tried every trick in the book..cutting out caffine..running LESS...there is no way I can more though AFimage.its hard to explain....but it is very annoying when your feet move on their own..it sounds funny but its not...it keeps me awake for hours..one reason I had to give up early shifts..no good if you dont go to bed till 4

Mel..yes it is indeed inherited..and as I have found has got worse as I have got older..the last 2-3 years being particularly....my 14 year old son gets it just occasionally...I havent told him it will get worse..as he gets older...image

Minks.you have made the right decision..if you were happy to just "get around" then ok..but you are a runner and want to do the best time for you....going  into it  knwoing you are undertrained is pointless....there are plenty of other races around...(although you wouldnt think it at times)

Good new about Hillys placing from last week..at least it is well and truely in black and white now..she must be pleased with that result..

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hi
    Good luck this weeks racers.
    For me - hoping to get out for an hour later. Yesterday was a write off, lets just say I'm in a very similar position to RFJ and need something to keep me occupied. to-ing and fro-ing between here and Kent I imagine for the next week or two.

Laters

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

RJF, things sound tough.  Glad you're able to hang on to the running though - it's important to look after yourself too at this difficult time.  Hugs to you.

AF, hopefully I should be able to defer my place, but if not I'm not sure what my marathon plan will be.  Not even sure I want to do another one for a while, actually.  I might focus on some other distances instead.  Having run 3 consecutive FLMs (2004-2006; didn't run 2007 due to birth of my son) I feel a little 'marathon-ed out'.

NN, thanks for your support.  I know that I would not have been happy just to get round.