Urbanathlon

Anyone else fancy getting muddy?? Just had a look at the website (www.urbanathlon.co.uk) and it's looks like it could be fun !

It's not cheap at £38 but It's local and it will make a change from the usual 10K.

Comments

• Has anyone done similar? £38 for 10km is steep, compare it with Hell up North.

Does sound good though
  • We have a few teams from work doing it. Looks like fun and the right time as a warm up for Tough Guy.

• Picked up a flyer for this at the Great Manchester Run and it states this is a 8K race, not a 10K as first listed.
  • Think I'll give it a go, I'm liking the sound of the obstacles! It will be something different to the average street 10k!
  • Does sound intriguing - might have a think about it
  • I fancied this, but how can they justify that entry price, £50 on the day!!  Mmm no ta. 
  • I decided against this too.

There was two reasons - price and I am already booked up to have piss up that weekend.

• It is steep, I think they have over-priced it, especially for those who want to enter on the day, I'm interested to see what's in the goody bag for a £48 race!!

The cost aside, I'm looking forward to this next week, I've never done anything like it  before.

• Will see you there Xan. I'm doing it too although a little anxious now! I managed to WIN entry in a race series here in the Midlands. Sooo glad I managed to sort childcare and can make this seeing as it's so costly. 

Should be a great one to spectate too.

• Xan - yep, goody bag should be great. I'm particularly looking forward to the quality of medal for £38/£50!! image
  • Anyone know how to enter online - the RW page doesn't seem to have the option as stated by the Urbanathon site?!
  • What a massive disappointment, the event was OK, very poorly marshaled in a few places which caused many runners to go the wrong way and miss half the course off.

The goody bag was a joke, a massive XL T-Shirt that I could never wear and a bottle of shower gel, all for £38 entry, you get better goody bags at the Race for life's!!!!

Rant over, the actual event I enjoyed doing, something different, would I do it again, probably not.

• Agree with all of that Xan. Good fun, especially the waterslide but I've done marathons that cost less. Wouldn't do it again unless the price was substantially reduced. A choice of T-shirt sizes would have helped. At this sort of event, you do get a few XL's but come on, most runners are going to be in the small to medium range.
  • The water-slide was definitely the best bit !! image
  • Such a let down!!! For the price I was so disappointed. The "obstacles" were pathetic, not challenging in the slightest. There's no way of justifying the £38 entry fee, the water slide was fun but the rest of it was just pants.

If you want obstacles and mud do tough guy instead!!

• I did enjoy it, but for £38 it was horrific value. It was badly marshalled, and I couldn't believe the lack of mile/kilometre markers and the goody bag, considering the price. Then we went back at 2pm for the presentation only to hear they weren't going to do one as most people had already left...... so we weren't very impressed, but if the race cost £10 I probably would have been. I don't agree that the obstacles weren't challenging at all, but I haven't done tough guy or anything like that.
  • Urbanathlon - Fun course which was very enjoyable but soooo much easier than I had anticipated. Held back on the running pace as was worried that my legs would be zapped by the obstacles but it was over before it had barely started!?!?!? Lots of interesting obstacles, the first was defo the toughest and the plastic slide was defo the most FUN!! image water crossings, ropes, tyres, walls, hay bales and hills. Not really a challenge enough for runners I dont think, but a nice day out. Good job it was free. I would have been raging at the end if I'd had paid £38/£50 for a goody bag with a t-shirt, milkshake and shower gel in it!!

• Completed the course this morning in the 10.30 am group,worryingly the 10 am starters i saw off were not sure of the way to go ,perhaps the marshalling was a bit haphazard.Like others i wished there had been some markers along the way to pace yourself,I was expecting more in terms of obstacles considering this was the first in Europe!? The water slide was the best bit no doubt but as for the price i dont think it was worth the £38 entry fee at all..I would consider doing it again as its local but if I had to pay (  I didnt co paid)  it would have to be a lot cheaper as the goody bag was pants.

• IT was a fun run compared to Tough Guy but it might be a good warm up for that. I'll be nursing more cuts and bruises in a fortnights time when I've done TG.
  • Good fun and some nice scenery but the value for £38 was very poor.  Obstacles need to be tougher if they do it again as they were a breeze!
  • I did enjoy the Urbanathlon but the obstacles were too few and far between.  For £38 I expected a lot more from the event, and where was the water at the end of the run !  image

I'm now looking forward to The Prestwich Challenge on 31 Augustwhich I have run for the last 5 years.  It's a similar event, but longer with more obstacles, the goody bag is up there with the best, the T Shirts fit you because you gave them your details before the race and for only £15 it is a great experience.image

• Was interested in doing that one, got the fyer yesterday. Will enter now it comes recommended.

Thanks TJ2

• I ran the Urbanathlon yesterday with a few others (if you are interested) here is what we thought:  http://www.ransacker.co.uk/blog/2008/07/14/team-ransacker-get-dirty/

I think the event really needs to find its feet and decide what it wants to be. At the moment its too easy for Tough Guy competitors and too expensive for someone wishing to give it a try. Saying that we had a great day out, will be back in 2009 but are now looking for something more challenging.

Glad to see you mentioned the Prestwich Challenge Toby; we will definitely try and get a team together for that. Any other suggestions?

• There was plenty of water when I finished, Toby (I know as I was avoiding the milk shake table). Were you in one of the later races?

It's so frustrating still not having the results, isn't it? 

The Prestwich Challenge sounds great. I'll do it if I'm not away for the weekend. 

• I've done the Prestwich Challenge before and it's a great event but much harder than the Urbanathlon. Be prepared to lose the skin off your knees as you crawl through concrete drain pipes. I don't recommend it to anyone who is claustrophobic or doesn't like heights.
  • Just seen that the results for this wont be available until the Friday 18th of ..... SEPTEMBER!!!!  Please tell me I'm wrong!?!?!

Hopefully would have had the results for the Prestwich Challenge by then!!!

• It says the 18th of July on the website, although that's bad enough.