Options

That Double, somehwere near Birmingham

Here it is, a thread for the few tragic losers who think this is a great way to spend a weekend.

Comments

• Options
  • Options

Awesome spelling, by the way Mon.

• Options

Actually Mon, have you been on the Darkside (Tripetalk) thread about this?  I drove around the bike course the other day.  Do you want details, or do you want to be surprised on the day(s)?

Right - enough serious talk.  I'm off to drink and eat crap (carbs, obviously....)

• Options

(this is wickett, by the way - I just cba logging off after wotsit is done playing.  Besides - it's nice to see a different name up here....)

A proper query for you, Monique - based on your comment on the supporters thread.  Food & drink.  I know it's a bit early to have got a 'strategy' together per se, but what (roughly) are you planning to use for each of the stages if you don't use energy drink/food?

I can kind of see how you'd get enough carbs into the system, and I guess Lava salts should sort out the electrolytes - but how do you make sure you're getting enough protein to stop your brain being eaten (or whatever it is that happens!).  Also -do you have an idea in advance as to the number of carbs being absorbed per hour from the food you use - or just go on the basis of 'keep eating and you'll be alright'.

Although I did JW Ultra on just homemade flapjack, a bagel, water and lava salts - that was just a little run (*cough*).  For this event, I'd be really interested as I'm having a bad time of it with all the 'branded' food & drink.  Just isn't working for me.Thanks
  • Options

Arh, Wicket I use Torq's carbo powder and have some of the protein powder to try- the beauty of it is is that it has no taste so you can add it to the food of your choice, so I have carbo drinks made with vimto or dandelion and burdock for instance, which beats endless bottles of High 5 or powerade *shudder*. The idea of my nutrition plan is to fool yourself that this is a normal day, you just happen to be doing a bit of swimming, cycling and running.

I intend to have loads of choice to try, in my experience of crewing on 24 hour track races you need to provide all kinds of food, one minute a bowl of cornflakes might be just the thing, the next a packet of crisps, In the desert I could only handle  tea, complan and noodles, so I shall include these things as well, everything else made me throw up.

My strategy so far seems to be drink every 20 minutes on the swim, (from my longest so far this seemed to feel about right) similarly on the bike, but have food as well as drink, then the run it's down to drinking and eating the more digestible foods, like bananas, but haven't done my overnight 30 plus mile run to test out what it feels like to run and eat through the night yet so that's theoretical.

Of course with IM, it's easy to ride 112 miles in training without worrying about nutrition. You just have to fuel as if you are about to run a marathon after, the same goes for double I suppose.

• Options

Anyone who does this must be fecking nuts. Glad I don't know anyone that could ever remotely think this was a good idea.

• Options
    I remember saying the exact same thing when I read about Chris Moon doing the MDS, didn't stop me doing it about a year later. Mind you after yesterdays ride from hell in the Dales I am beginning to wonder if I am capable of any of this.
  • Options
    Sorry Monique - forgot my to add the wink. I know there must be something in the water Worcestershire way as apparently there's a couple of guys from there entered.
  • Options

Bloody Southerners, somewhere near Brum? Litchfield is nowhere near Brum.

In terms of tedium it is right up there with brum tho image

Hopefully the roadworks on the bike course will be clear by august.

I'm menu planning already for my "racer", I have to come up with tempting food treats for him as by about 4am on Sunday morning he'll be like an extra from dawn of the dead and won't be keen on sugary pap.....

• Options
    What a silly idea. Like anyone would sign up for an event like this. Sheesh...
  • Options

Whoa, whoa, whoa-there.......  You went riding, Monique????  You mean - 'training'?????

Well, I'd say that's pretty low.  Next you'll be doing this in Tritalk kit and entering the deca image

(I'm just bitter.  I didn't ride at all.  I'm er......... focusing on the run).

What sort of distances are you doing for your 'long' sessions at the moment?  I've been doing plenty of running, but tend not to really go beyond 15-20 in a single run as, beyond that, I just get too pooped to train the next day.  Try to do 2 or 3 of those per week at the moment (albeit, I'll be doing Compton 40 on Saturday, but after that, I'm just going to let the running 'tick-over' for a few weeks).

Swim - Not placing too much emphasis on this yet.  I've done the half distance (so IM distance) a couple of times in training, which always seems ok.  This week I'm hoping to up that a bit, but our local pools never run the sessions for long enough!  Not really worried about the swim though.

Bike - that's the real bugger.  Finding time for the long rides is tougher than the actual rides.  Still doing all the rides on my fat-tyred winter hack and got up to just shy of the hundred the other day (but the strong winds nearly killed me!).  I'm probably ok up to IM distance at the moment, but going beyond that is going to need some real work.  Still, as of last Friday, I was able to cycle to work which is a very hilly 18-mile commute each way, so that should add some strength.  It's just getting in those long rides.....

I'm rambling.

• Options

This week I'm hoping to up that a bit, but our local pools never run the sessions for long enough!

There's an obvious solution to this!

• Options
  • Options

Swim faster!

And your French grammar needs some work too.

• Options

Rubbish.  It's the French that need to change their language.

Besides - swimming fast is uncouth.  Gentlemen plod.  Especially the ones who need every scrap of energy for after the quick splash.

• Options

"Bloody Southerners, somewhere near Brum? Litchfield is nowhere near Brum"

Not sure exactly where Litchfield is but Lichfield is about 20 miles away from Brum image

• Options
    Exactly. That's nowhere near
  • Options

I'm sure I could answer this by reading the website more closely, but.....

Where do the sherpas stand on cooking/camping facilities.  Are they going to be ok to have cooking stoves?  Maybe a tent so they can nap between shifts?

• Options
    good work on entering this!

I shall certainly come and support. well, get drunk, heckle, throw beer cans and that sort of thing, all support is good support though, innit.
  • Options

Having seen the council estate that the run course passes by, you may be in good company there, Oxy.

Please note: Social stereotyping is entirely unacceptable - except when I do it.

• Options

That housing estate is considered posh in the area.

That bike course is gonna hurt

• Options

Wickers - I have a couple of tents and about 3 stoves. I'm keeping one for my racer to sleep in if they so desire and also eat in etc if it's lashing it down.

Only 2 foodstops tho, all other comestibles to be taken whilst moving.

Bike spares, food stores, first aid stuff etc kept in tent 2.

I've checked with the race org and I can service/fix bike and swap wheels if necessary for my racer whilst they die quietly.

Spare shoes/socks etc.

I've even considered a coolbox full of ice and some beer as a first aid thing.........

• Options

I was thinking of treating the bike stage like the early TdF racers - a nice red wine in my bidons.  Should ease the pain of those 'gentle, rolling hills'.

Has your boy been out and seen the size of those freaking hills yet!!??

• Options
    sounds like the council estate kids will be able to assist you with the TdF theme then, I'm sure they'll be well stocked with a selection of amphetamines
  • Options

I live nearby and have done the course but Dave is a Derby lad who trains on much lumpier stuff.

For a single shot ,112 miler, it would be a fairly tough but nothing too mad course. But after 150 miles that cheeky undulation is gonna hurt. Especially as you know it's coming.

We are working on the strategy that we want him off the bike and comfy on the run before that low ebb point of 4am.

• Options

Yes, I'm soooooo pleased they brought in a cut-off for the bike stage.  image

My plans so far are;

6am - start

9am - (latest) be starting bike

1am - finish bike (allows for 15mph ave + 1hr faffing)

1:30am - be out on the run

Beyond that - just hope for the best.

Biggest worry is the bike section.  I expect that could slip by a couple of hours when the legs go.

• Options

To stop or not to stop that is the question.

Food breaks or just keep it moving.

You'll do the bike, easy, the big problem will be after mile 35 in the run. You'll be at a shuffle, with still double figures to go and tired like a tired thing.

I reckon the arse end of the run is where there will be the most casualties.

• Options

You're probably right..... but given how they've worked the cut-offs, you can pretty much afford to walk almost the whole run.  Not saying that's not hard in its own right, but I really see the bike as being the issue.  Slower than a run is a walk; slower than a ride is a stop!  (although, slower than swimming is drowning, but I shouldn't be toooooo tired by that point....!!)

So, if you start the run at 4am latest - you've got until 10pm that night.  That's 18-hrs to cover 52(-ish) miles, which is less than 3mph ave!

However, other DIM races only allow 32-hrs, so you're going to have that at the back of your mind - it's a pride thing!  (although, what other race would use a route with such hilly, dangerous roads.....?).

Ideally, I won't stop (except to pick up food/drink, change clothes etc... - but not to sleep).  I fear that if I stop, I won't start again.  That's the theory.  Ask me again after a few more months of training!!

• Options
    jees, hopefully there will be amphetamines for spectators too!