Porthkerry Plod 5

Comments

• Well done for not finishing Nam.
    I've seen too many runners carry on when it's far better to stop. There are plenty more runs,but only one set of lungs!
    The Waterfront 5K is nice and flat.....until you get to Cadaxton Cons!!

See you there folks!!! 

• well, i enjoyed that- great course and great marshalling - a proper multi terrain route!

Nam - relax, wrap up warm and have a pie - and some bovril!

• Andy Morton wrote (see)

Well done for not finishing Nam.
    I've seen too many runners carry on when it's far better to stop. There are plenty more runs,but only one set of lungs!

I just couldn't settle my heart rate at all, it was full whack from the start, feeling like I was sprinting when I was going really slowly.  And my breathing was fast and erratic.  I actually felt full-on whoozy as if my blood pressure was dropping as I struggled up the hill.  There just wasn't any point... I clearly wasn't well enough...
    Mr Phil [still fond of pastry based items] wrote (see)

well, i enjoyed that- great course and great marshalling - a proper multi terrain route!

Nam - relax, wrap up warm and have a pie - and some bovril!

TT cooked me cheesy mash, chicken and bacon!  Yum! image
  • well that was interesting!! very good race with great organisation!

bit embarrassing having stewards watching me slip and nearly fall a couple of times!

came home in about 40mins i think which was reasonable! when's this 5k that you talk of??

well done everyone!!

• Andrew, it's the Ty Hafan 5k in Barry. image

link to thread

• thanks Nam, really enjoyed today and its a nice addition to my usual training!

how you feeling after your efforts today? i admire your commitment to give it a go regardless of illness!

• Well that was a blast. image

Very slippery in places, but excellent marshalling, couldn't believe how many there were on a grotty day like today, a big well done.

Smashed my PB for this distance, so well please.

• Well done Daz image  Was speaking to Che after and he said you had done some kind of superhuman speed round the course

I have now showered, done some washing, and filled my trainers with newspaper cos they are dripping! 

Nice to meet Daz, Che and Mr Phil - and thanks to Che, Mr Phil and PJ for the shouts and encouragement - big (( )) to oyou all - I nearly died when PJ shouted from the road across the hill - wasnt expecting it at all and was just trying to stop bringing my lunch back up at that point.  Going to have to give this eating while running thing a go - I could have murdered a jelly baby when you offered chuck, but I think I would have thrown up on your feet image

Nam - Im glad you DNF, not cos you DNF, but it wasnt sensible for you to go on, the state you were in by then I would have been calling HDU had you turned up on my on-call....was the right decision
    Not sure I could have gone much faster, I only looked vaguly like I was running at the second hlf because I hadnt hammered the first half.  On my own I was getting faster and faster, which is good near the finish but would have killed me earlier

There seemed to be lots of people taking photos - somewhat worringly! Does anyone know who they were/if they are going online somewhere?

And can I echo Nams thanks to the organisers, if anyone who reads this can pass it on - the course was well marked, even found my way up the second hill through the woods on my own(!) - lots of tape, arrows and dots on the grass, and plenty of marshalls who were well organised and were really friendly and encouraging, which I appreciated enormously especially in the last 2 miles - much better than the 2 5ks I have done, so many thanks to everyone involved image

• Crikey there were rather a lot of image in that post werent there?!
    Lets see if I am still grinning when I cant walk on tuesday lol
  • I thought Che was a "she"... image
  • barking wrote (see)

There seemed to be lots of people taking photos - somewhat worringly! Does anyone know who they were/if they are going online somewhere?

Yes lets see the mugshots... Glad they caught me when I was still smiling... imageimage
  • No, Che is very definatly a "he".  And tall!

I dont think I was smiling up the top of the hill - there were lots of pics being done up there, I am a drowned rat....

• Che took a photo of you towards the end I think Barking.... You were looking very strong!

Have replied to your post on the Ty Hafan thread btw!

Daz spotted me in the car park looking puzzled as to why I didn't have phone reception.  He was looking v good when he passed my marshalling point!

• TT took a pic of him "flying"... image
  • Just back home, great race, well done to the organisors and marsahals. Was feeling a little off this morning, and to be honest just found it hard to motivate myself, slipped and fell up the first climb which did`nt help . Still got round in 38 mins so not to bad I suppose. well done to all the others that took part. Cya all next year..
  • Someone has to ask,it may as well be me.....any sign of the results yet please?
    Last year 119 finished.I reckon there were a lot more this year.

Is it 2009 yet???imageimageimage

• This will be my nemesis race for next year... imageimage
  • for some reason, i pressed the wrong button at mile one on the watch, and stopped it all together! Not sure what my time was - probably around 40 mins, but will have to wait for results as well!

• I might attempt it next year instead of marshalling.... The hill I had to walk up to get to my post scared the hell out of me though image
  • Thanks for the positive comments, glad you 'enjoyed' it!. 

The mugs shots will probably be on our website after tomorrow.  Sorry Daz, you were so quick I didn't get one of you, but hey you looked good!  Barking, have a couple of you which I can email if you like.

Nam, yes, I'm a he!

• i can't put the whole spreadsheet on here, but if you email me your tag and number I'll stick it on here

winner in 29.40

I have Daz at 273 - 20th place in 36.33

Barking, 129 in 62.16

• any chance of finding me che?

phil protheroe - brackla harriers

can't remeber number - 290 odd

ta!

• Mr Phil, 38th in 38.53!

Andy Morton,  60, 280, 41:55

132 finishers 

• Hiya Guys.

Can I just jump in here.

Thanks for turning up today. I think the weather forecast put a lot of people off and it wasn't half as bad as they expected.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it, and I hope all the pre-race nerves were justified image  That second hill is a killer, I wouldn't want to race up it.!! Mind you I don't like racing up any hills.

Che did you get the coveted spot at the top of the hill?

• Hi just the one, yes, I was at the top of hill, and I had a camera! Well done for organising such a great event!
  • Well done Daz!!  Blimey!!  And Mr Phil!!  image

And Barking could have gone well sub-60 had she not run with a "patient"... image

Oh Che, sorry for thinking you were a girl.  image

• that's alright, must have been the delirium!  Are you okay?
  • yes I did 30 miles on the turbo trainer to make up for this mornings disaster...  LOL image
  • 129 out of 132 image
    Nearly managed that coveted "last place" spot then

Note to self - must try harder image

Were there lots not turn up then, cos there were 200 and someodd on the numbers running today?

Well done Daz, Phil and Andy! Impressive stuff!!!

Nice to see you JTO image I agree that the 2nd hill is horrible - seems to go on for ever!  Good excuse for a nice long walk tho, in my case!!  I was quite glad when it started to rain, to be honest, I was overheating by then

CD thanks - I think I have email enabled on here.

Nam - stop doing yourself down - you got me my first negative split !!!

Andy Morton wrote (see)

Is it 2009 yet???imageimageimage

I think it may be 2009 before I can walk again image

• bloody hell - is 2009 only next year?

where is the century going??