Sunday 16th March 2008

ok this is long - sorry 

Round the Vines is a fun run with 21 and 10k options.  Its 2/3rs off road (some trails, some fields, some rutted tracks, some gravel paths).  Its not measured.  80% of people walk.  It has no timing and only the top 10 in each race get told their place.  I actually had to ask the starter where the start line was - apparently it didn't really matter. He pointed vaguely at the middle of the road and said over there somewhere. We gathered "over there somewhere" and off we went.

0-5k - 24.43. I set off far too fast as always - catching myself about 300m in and making myself slow down. So many people went past me in the next few hundred metres but i knew I'd be seeing some of them again. The first 2k was on sealed roads, then off into our first vinyard. Every vinyard had a drinks station with water, fruit and wine. Underfoot wasn't too bad and I grabbed some water and kept on. About 4km I caught two of the girls that had passed me early on, both struggling noticeably already. Must have been a long day for them.

5-10k - 25.04. I'm feeling good and strong but getting frustrated with the constant changes of terrain as we go from one vinyard to another or from track for cars onto path through the vines. Very pretty though. I guy with a camelbak passes me and I latch onto him and run at his pace for a while. We get chatting and he tells me he's from Palmerston North - a city about 90mins north of the race. We catch a girl in black who looks very familiar. As we go past I realise its a girl from my club - someone who normally beats me very solidly.

10-15k - 24.33. We go through the half way mark and camelbak guy takes a gel and then says he normally picks the pace up a bit in the second half if he can. Lets go for it I said. We head out onto lap 2 and pick the pace up marginally. We go past another girl who is slowing. Hey - I might get a top 10 finish at this rate. At about 13k we hit the walkers. Its like hitting a wall. They are strung out 12-15 abreast taking up the entire path, road whatever they are on. The fancy dress costumes are lovely - some of them very funny. Unfortunately they must have been concentrating on their costumes rather than the race director when he mentioned keeping left. I spend the next 2-3km alternating with camelbak guy shouting "runners coming through". I run smack into the back of one girl as I shout runners coming through and move to the right - just as she moves to the right (sorry sorry sorry whoever you were!)

15-20k - 24.40
. The gravel path towards the end really drains the energy from my legs but I'm keeping ploughing on and amazed I can keep the pace up pretty well. Finally we get back out onto the roads towards the finish and i start to try and pick the pace up again. Camelbak guy does the same and pulls away from me.

20k-end - 2.22. Oh. My garmin says 20.5km total. So i'm guessing the course is a bit short! Still its great to be finished and to have finished feeling strong.

Total 1.41.22 and 6th lady.  As I walk around after the finish I work out that if the course was only 20.5km that would still equate to a 1.44.20 half. Oh my god. My seriously stretch aim for Nelson in 6 weeks time was to break 1.45. To effectively do it on that terrain and with so many people in the way was really unexpected.

So that was Round the Vines 2008.  What a day.  Bring on Nelson.

Comments

• pammie - well done on your long run.  sounds to me like another 3 hour one might be quite good for you though - given it will still be 3 weeks before FLM at that point.

NN - I think in this case the wine is for the 80% of the field who walk the "race".  I sure dont get it for Paris though!

kenobi - good luck with it all - i remember the waiting on the house sale bit!

good to see you posting AJH

congratulations scobos and mrs scobos too. sounds like a good race.

• Well done on your series (and race) victory, Scobos.

Encouraging race, M.

Re. wine in marathons, any race that does this should be denied a permit and not have the temerity to advertise itself as an athletics event.  In fact I believe there is wine available at 25 miles at Paris.  How very 1894 Olympics...

What: 6 miles @ MP + 15 secs then pacing hilly at Eastleigh 10k
    Why: training my body to access energy sources more efficiently

• M. - what a fabulous run ! Sounds great fun and a super encouraging result too. The terrain will have made a big difference time wise.

Fab long runs yesterday for folk.

Good luck racers today

I am on home duty today - better half's birthday - but may be able to get a trot in at some point.
  • morning

yup, I am posting on here on a non racing weekend

(wimped out of a 20 miler yesterday-just too tired)

RFJ-hugs to you, and that story is lovely

hope you are ok clink

Blisters, glad your dad is ok

TR-all sounds pretty stressful

special thoughts to Welsh poppy

I expect iIl be down the gym for a bit of tready running today

next race--------next week

Next marathon-not till April

EEK!

• bloody amazing run m

and congratulations to Scobos

• Hi all,

just popping in - I'm sat in Bristol airport and my laptop is about to run out of battery and of course I only have a US plug so nowhere to plug in. My Grampa is doing really well - he made the breakthrough to walking with a zimmer frame on Thursday and that has made a huge difference. It's hard to leave though...

I've only read today so must say WOW!!!! Well done M! That's a fantastic time and what a breakthrough! Can't wait to see what your time on nice terrain will be.

I haven't done much this week - short hard run on Tuesday and 12.67 steady hilly miles yesterday in the pouring rain. I've kind of needed all my energies for grampa and family, but am ready to get back into it when I get home. Will catch up on everyone's exploits then.

Good runnings everyone.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

well run Scobos.

M. great run  - you must be really chuffed. 

Good luck all racers today.

What: nothing
    Why: rest
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday

I would like to run today but my legs have been so dead recently I think I should rest.  The next  week and a bit might be a bit heavy too - Folkestone 10 on Friday and then I want to do another 20 miler on Monday or Tuesday after easter as my last long run before tapering.  Scotty is happy doing a 20 miler two weeks out from London but personally I'd rather it was closer to 3 weeks so I'll have to bang one out a few days after a race. image

We might head off up to Knole today to watch the Sevenoaks 10k but we both decided we didn't want to run it!   It's going to be lovely and muddy for them today, judging by the state of the grass yesterday.

• Morning all,

Very quiet on the thread today, guess most people are racing.

Watched the grandprix this morning, enjoyed the race, but I will not say the result as people on here may have not seen the race yet! image

What:

pm: gym session: core muscles + 1hr cardio split into 5-mins rower, 25mins bike, 30mins x-trainer all at a steady/easy pace.

Why:

Distance day today and physio tommorow.

• What: 17 miles (6:40/avg)
    Why: Long run of week
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest:  Friday

• Afternoon all

Well run M.

RFJ - many condolences, but as said a nice final memory.

What - 6 miles
    Why - miles
    Last hard: Friday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last lyrics - weeks

Reports should trickle in later, look forward to it
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

M - Wow-ee. That is so fantastic, better things to come from your half. Great report and the camelback guy sounded like a good one to run with

Yesterdays lyrics - Amazing - sung by Aerosmith

What: 4.07 miles @65%WHR
    Why: Easy run and defeating the CBA demon
    Last Hard: errmm Yesterday

Same route as Friday where i did my first sub 10min average and expecting to be a little slower after yesterdays effort. Well i was by 7 seconds and considering the wind and rain were battling it out i'll take that with open arm, and it was at a slight lower HR. How weird is that.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

RACE Report Eastleigh 10k 

Well, did not know what to expect here other than I wanted to do better than Stubington 10k in Jan.

It was wet, mild but chilly in the wind.

2k warm up (Great spotting by BR who recognised me by my East Hull sweatshirt from last week so had a little chat on warm up before meeting Hilly, great to meet you both).

Then off to the start, we had our bigest team of the season out today with 9 male runners, aim was to get into and score for the A team.

1k - 4:03 Good solid start, and lay in 3rd place for club behind 2 better runners with 2 close behind.

2k - 4:06 Consolidated good start and still in same positions at 1st Km

3k - 4:07 Mmmm this this good no dramas, but very wet still.

4k - 4:30 Spot the hill, worked hard and stayed with the group, the two club mates behind I cant see, so dont worry about them too much.

5k - 3:56 Quickest K so far, and pass club mate on way down hill (wwwwweeeeeeeeee)... Half way 20:46.

6k - 3:59 maintain the pace nicely through the water station, get told to press on and take the old one in front of me! Clubmate that is, who is 15m ahead.

7k - No time, was too busy overtaking clubmate, this now meant that I was 1st for the club, something I didnt expect, would I blow up had I put too much in.....

8k - 8:03 combined time for 2ks, happy with that, trying to push on and get away from club mates, darent look back.

9k - 4:04 still maintaining a good pace, what are the others doing, I am still overtaking other runners as have done since 3rd K with only being overtaken once or twice....

10k - 4:13 and head on into the wind, i am dying now, the legs are tired and I want to finish, look over shoulder for once and cant see a club mate in sight (check other shoulder No), good, get taken in final spirint but also take a guy too.

41:06 (unnoficial) 20:46 for first 5k, 20:20 for second 5k and 2 mins quicker than stubbington, not a pb, but very happy with that especilly as 1st in for the club.

Finish off with 2k warm down (bumped into BR and Hilly again just before that).

Well done M sounds fun

Well done too to Scobos and Mrs Scobos, well done.

Take care

• Wow, M, you are doing brilliantly, congratulations!

RFJ, great run from you too.

What: doing my duties at the local sport relief event. Ran a few miles trying desperately to keep warm. What atrocious weather!

Was really impressed at all the people who actually turned up. There were 3 events, the 1 mile the a 3 mile and a 6 mile. I marshalled on the 3/6 mile course, was slightly nonplussed when a woman wearing high heels and carrying a handbag turned out to have a number on by hey, she was doing it!

I think about 7 people finished the 6 mile and they were all smiling when they passed me for the second time, so that was good and I felt happy that our running club had organised.

Currently trying to warm up as 2 hours getting drenched has left me a bit chilly!

• Morning all,

M - great run and report

RFJ - great race, how far off a pb?

Quick report from a 'not race'!

Trinidads Twin 3000 ft Peaks of El Cerro del Aripo and El Tucuche have only been conquered in one day by one person before Saturday 15th March 2008. That was some year ago and Glen had taunted us for a while about it. Glen, now 60 something, wanted to give it another shot, so we got a few like minded runners together (9 of us) to have a go. Our goal was inside 12 hours and daylight. Shouldn't be tough, but the conditions could make or break it.

3am alarm after getting back from Jamaica at 11, was not fun, but got to the start and meeting point for the 05:30 ascent of Cerro. Easy bench trail to start with and got into easy pace with the lead 2. Heading itno the rainforrest and the going underfoot was very wet. Slowed to a crawl up the steep and wet climbs with vines, brush and other nasties trying to grab your shoes every step. Got up onto the main approach ridge for the 1 hour slog in heavy canopy to 2 'false peaks' which are pretty disheartening when you realise the huge dips and climbs back up that follow. Soonn we get to the final soggy climb to the peak at 3084 ft and Trinidads highest peak. 2:02 to the top and in the lead group. We wait 10-5 minutes for the others to arrive, quick photo for histories sake and then head down at breakneck speed. 1:36 down. Total 3:38!

Well ahead of schedule we sit in the cool stream for a few minutes, feed and pile into the SUV's for the 2 hour trip to the base of El Tucuche at the western end of the Northern Range. Change of gear and I swap the heavily treaded Merrells for NB trail running shoes. Cerro is wet and very rain forrest, Tucuche will be baking hot and mostly dry.

12:30 sees us head up the trail to towards the Col that takes us onto the long ridge towards Tucuche. The climb is hot and unrepenting. I settle into a steady pace with Erle at the front and we just heads down it, one foot in front of the other for the straight one hour climb. We get to the Col, turn left and hit a gradually ascending bench trail which will take us the 10k to the final base of Tucuche. With a quick pace on the dry trails we are again well ahead of schedule when we hit the final short, sharp climb to the peak of Tucuche. 2:07 for the climb, a clear 30 minutes better than the best we had planned. 10 15 and 20 minutes later the rest of the group apear, another celebratory photo and we are ready for the descent. Nothing to lose this time and I felt the need for speed!

After a minor diversion and a 100m climb back to the track I set the pace and blasted the bench trails, just ahead of the next 3, OK it was a race now! Two of the following three probably could have got past me, but they prefered to run together. My solitary approch to running didn't hold me back. I had an absolute blast. Got to the Col in 45 mins, 21 minutes faster that the up, then slip slidding and running for another 45mins to the finish. Just 2 minutes later the next group came in and we high fived and celebrated.

Twin pleaks nailed with total start to finish times of just under 11 hours and best on trail time of 7:15.

One of the benefits of living an a small island are there are still some 'firsts'. First Englishman to do the Twin peaks in under 12 hours, one of only 9 to complete the task and also I'm officially the fastest!

Another tough day in Paradise!

What: Beach then easy 6 miles later

Why: Comrades is still in 3 months time

Last Hard: The mud in Cerro!

Have a great Sunday!

• M - great run - you must be confident heading towards your half - still 6 weeks to improve even further!!!!

RFJ - that's a great run

Trinirunner - well done - that's some challenge!

What: 16M
    Why: half-mara training
    Last hard: just done it
    last rest: Friday

Today's run was a tough one.  Three reasons for this 1) The wind 2) The rain 3) The bottle of red wine I drank last night.  I remember thinking, as the third glass gradually emptied, that I would pay for it the next morning.  Somehow, that didn't stop me.  Only good thing is that I spent the evening with one of today's running partners and he also drank a full bottle, so at least we both suffered equally!

Have a good rest of day.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fanatstic run M, bet you can't wait for a flat road race to see what you can do.

Great stuff Trini, I do enjoy a bit of climbing so thoroughly enjoyed your report.

Good run SGQ, might as well drink some before the price goes up!

Fab run RFJ, sub 41 is very good running.

lol BR. Perhaps you should consider the Medoc Marathon. I am told that the 'feed' stations proffer fine meats, seafood & pate which, at the runner's discretion, can be washed down with a glass of Grand Cru or Cotes Du Rhone. Beats Gels & lucozade and gives 'staggering to the finish' a whole different meaning.

Kenobi.. ref. 'blocked' websites at work places. There are some clever proxy sites that can circumvent such blocks. If you want any more info give me a nod, not that I would encourage such crafty defiance of course {O:

As I've had no shin twinges since Wednesday I decided on a 20 miler today as a fitness test of sorts. Very windy but thankfully only a couple of squally showers.

20.3 miles in 2:34, no adverse reaction at all. Considering I couldn't run across the road on Tuesday this is progress indeed. happybunniesrus.
  • Afternoon all,

scobos:  Congrats on the series win.  Sounds a tough course.  Well done to Mrs S too.

M.  Well done at Rounds the Vines.  Great time, and the spirit of the race sounds fantastic. 

BR:  But what if your coach tells you you need ethanol as a catalyst to access your energy stores?

IM:  Good News about your Gramps?

RFJ:  Great run and pacing.  I'm sure someone was watching over you. 

Trini:  Awesome stuff.  As you say, it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it.

• What:  23m
    • Why:  "Character Building"
    • Last Hard:  Tuesday
    • Last Rest:  N/A

Keep the faith!

• Hello

M - superb run and report

RFJ - good stuff - I'm gonna have to try to keep up next time I see you at TT

Trinni - I'm not reading your report - I glanced at the end of it - saw the bit about running on a beach... and decided that I'd just be way too jealous to read the whole thing...

• What: 15 miles in howling wind and rain
    • Why: Did 50 miles on the bike yesterday (plus a swim, plus a run)

Sorry I'm still not around much.... hope everyone is doing OK!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one M

Well done RFJ - nice time too ! you deserve an up turn.

Well done to Trini - runner too.

Some nnice training been done too (esp Hollywood).

8M for me this morning - legs ached but felt frisky enough to av 7:30s which was a surprise.

Been finishing off the painting and just ordered the carpet - so next weekend should see the decorating finished (after some bedroom furnirure assembly) - hooray !

That means I can start car shopping - but I'm going to order my road bike next weekend so its ready for after FLM.
  • Hello everyone

M - Wow!! You must be so pleased. Well done.

Scobos - BIG congrats to you!

Trinni - Phewee! Crikey! Great stuff. You sound really upbeat too! Well done.

SGQ - I'm with Wardi, might as well have it now as it is cheaper! Good that your running pal also had a bottle so you were even stevens! :0)

RFJ - FAb 10k, congrats to you.

Wardi - phew, very good news indeed. A happy scoobydoobydoorus for you.

Clink - if you're around, hope all is ok?

Hi Hipps. :0) Are you getting the shakes what with ''NO mara till April''? Is the kitchen floor clean per chance?

What: 13 miles
    Why: tick tock till London
    Last Hard: Last Sunday
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Very slow long run today. After having had the last 2 weekends racing and doing 1.55 for the half 2 weeks ago and then the Duchy 20 at 9.36 pace or something, it felt strange running so much slower today. I ran very easy at around 10 1/2 min miling. But even though the pace was slower it still didn't feel much easier - odd?

Does anyone else find that they are only starting to feel warmed up after about an hour of running? I just start feeling normal after about 6 miles or so! Weird....

Pammie - I'm going to do 18 miles on Easter Monday as my last long run, so I think you'll be fine as we have 3 weeks to taper then.

I'm not sure what to do as a taper!! There is this little 10 mile race the following weekend and the idea to do it has popped into my head, but would that be a bad idea?

Gosh I wish it was next weekend now so that I could get my last long run done and dusted! I'm hoping that I will have done enough to get me round.

Hope all that have raced have raced well, will try to get back on later.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Hi

Nice to meet you RFJ.  Well done on your race and nice negative split there.

M.  well raced.

Scobos - well done on your series and race win.  Hope you got a nice prize.

Trinni, well done and enjoy the beach.

Eastleigh 10K for me. 

Race didn't go exactly as I wanted, but have had a couple of sleepless nights and a failed job interview so maybe body and mind wasn't quite up for a fast race today.  Couldn't get my HR to even 10miles HR and know I couldn't have carried on at the pace I was going for 10 miles today.  Finished in 39.00. was 7th lady and 1st F40.  Got the silver medal for SE area, but think it should be gold as a man was running as a female who finished before me, but I guess they'll sort that.  Also got £50 in B&Q vouchers.  So anyone doing a spot of DIY can buy them off me for £40, what a bargainimage  Not particularly pleased with race, but worked as hard as I could.  Others reckon we lost about 40 secs due to the wind, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself, but that's me!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hilly, with the hill and wind I would say about 40 secs would be right, as I did 4:30 going up the hill and the last K was 4:13, so on average from my splits that would be about right for me. Sorry you didnt feel up to it, but still came a way with a result even when not feeling great, well doen.

Well done Trinni

• afternoon!

what: fleet half
    why:   marathon training
    last hard: today!
    last rest:  yesterday

really enjoyed fleet today (after a bit of a chaotic start - people clambering over fences and gates to get to the start line because of bottlenecks). it's my last in a series of 5 halfs over 7 weekends (the first being my first ever half!) and i got my best time so far so very happy.

scooby snax - the long slow runs tire me out more than the speedier halves. not sure if it's because i'm on my own and therefore think about it more and have to make more effort to motivate myself with them.

well done, hilly - sounds excellent to me image. like the idea that the man in drag got listed with the ladies!

• Hilly,

I think you're being harsh on yourself.

I feel gutted for a different reason. Had a cracking run, and am certain I would have broken 32 for the first time ever if it hadn't been for that ******* wind.

If you have no joy with the Southern medal let me know and I will have words with the relevant people at the Southern 12 stage.

Times come and go. You won the Southern Champs and no-one can take that away from you ever.

• just thought - i only like the idea if they manage to rectify the mistake!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

wow Trini that sounds amazing. Well done.

RFJ - good 10K there

hilly - great even if your heart wasn't in it.

Wardi - good news there

Scoobs - I love your posts.  But it is depressing that your slow slow slow runs are so much faster than my fast runs!

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭
    Wardi: yip: the Medoc marathon was the one I was thinking of. Good to hear your homemade homeopathy therapy worked (fight like with like= treat pea shaped lump with frozen peas image )

RFJ: well done!

Hilly: A man running as a woman?? Dear me! If that example is followed it will create a few problems for the marathoning elite in years to come... Still a nice result, don't be too harsh on yourself, keep that for when you run as slow as I do image

Scoobs: I'm with mava- your slow runs on a bad achilles are still faster than my fast runs! Running slowly may be harder work if you can't keep your form at lower speeds, it's not unheard of.

M.: that was a very nice run, and I think you can set a sharper prediction for a HM in better conditions (i.e. minus straggling walkers and with better terrain).

Trini: well done, nice one for the record books!

runnerduck: that's one heck of a race programme you've set yourself, well done on improving your time!

me: nothing again
    why: lazy weekend, slight problem in medial tibial area that appeared out of nowhere yesterday. Seeing osteo-puncturist tomorrow and will enquire. It's not there when you poke it, only when I walk.
  • Evening folks.

Some nice races from RFJ, M, Hilly, Trini and Mike B, and some nice long runs. Well done to everyone.

Another lovely morning in Kintail for my long run. Headed out, with Mrs S on her bike to keep me company, hoping for a nice, even-paced run. Managed just that and actually had the most metronomic long run of my running life! Legs felt a bit lethargic in the first few miles after yesterday's race then I just seemed to settle right into a rhythm...mile splits were:

So 22 miles in 2.31.28. I'm particularly impressed by my pacing in miles 13 to 19! Felt very good for the vast majority of the run, so well chuffed with that one. Just one more long run to get through then it's taper time!

Spent the afternoon once again biting my fingernails in the cause of being a Rangers fan, but we got there in the end!

Heading out soon for nice meal at the pub to round off an excellent day.

Have a great evening!

• Afternoon or evening, some good race results so far, so well done to all concerned, notably RFJ and hilly!

Had a bit of a weird day for running today. I'd arranged to meet my training partner at 9.30am as I wanted a shorter run (as it was a recovery week). I got bored waiting that ling so decided to do a bit to warm up and try to meet him en route on the trail. When I got to the said trail, he wasn't around so I ran up it a bit but there was still no sign. Realising that I'd missed him, I decided to run back to mine, but he wasn't there either, but it was now 9.36am. I rana aorund the block a few more times but he wasn't anywhere, so a bit gutted at having missed him, I set off on my own.

I learned several things on today's run: 1) I hate running long by myself; 2) never go off-road with trainers with little grip because you slip over a lot and nearly twist your ankle in woodland (aarrggh); and 3) never try to feed grass to geese that are spitting at you, as they will bite you!

I felt strong until 13M then all the mileage of the last few days seemed to catch me up and slow me down, as I've done 36M in 4 days.

What: a plodding 16M in 2hr28 @73% of maxHR
    Why: scheduled easy run
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Weds

MY ankle is sore now from the woodland trip, so a rest day and stretching evening tomorrow is well in order!

Good run, Wardi!

• Evening

Looking good M. you are obviously underestimating yourself..with 6 weeks still to go maybe you should revise your goal time..very well done

RFJ brilliant run

TrinniRunner awesome stuff...an early alarm..heat and the most challenging terrain..respect to you..

Wardi..glad to see your shins seem to be ok..great running..

Holly ..unlucky with the weather good for you for battling it out.......I have been fortunate thisafter noon for my 23 ..perfect conditions..

Where is Clink ?

Nice running scoobs..you are going to make FLM yayyyy!!!

Hilly..that seems a pretty good time to me..sorry you are a bit disapointed..lots of contributing facors by the sounds of it...well done on the prize all the same

I did the dreaded 23 miler today...the furthest I have ever run in training..and due to my shifts this week had to do it on my own this afternoon..after my sleep..rather than this morning with the sunday group...but what a confidence booster it turned out to be..I decided to do the 11 mile route from my front door x 2...AFTER running half a mile up the road and back again..to get that bit out the way..9 mins....22miles left to do..did the 11 mile loop in .1.39 grabbed a gel swigged some lucozade...and set off again...the second 11 mile loop in 1.38..kept a steady sub 9 pace all the way..and finished feeling really strong..and as if I could have gone further..(I didnt )..and dont feel tired now image....73 miles for the week..

What : 23 miles in 3.26 @8.57 pace

Why: I HAD to get that 23 miler done...

Last hard : that was ..mentally...

Last rest : 7 day..