Sunday 16th March 2008

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

RFJ - Great race from you and a lovely set of splits
    Trini - Well done, i'm Gobsmacked

Scooby - Thanks, The following weekend i'm planning on doing a half in Paddock Wood (with some other FLM'ers) I think its ok as long as you don't race it . I felt like you today want to get that last long run d&d

hilly - Well done shame about the imposter
    Scobos - Wow what a run, i'm impressed with your splits full stop

FL - Hope are ok. You got bitten!!!!!!. Hope ankle is ok  as well

• Scobos must have posted as I was typing..wow THOSE SPLITS !!!..makes me look  like a snaill..image
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

x- post

NN - I am stumped for words, my jaw is literally on the floor
    "and finished feeling really strong..and as if I could have gone further..(I didnt ).."

Wow, i bet you are pleased with yourself i'm working next weekend so will either have to do the long one on Sunday after my shift and a sleep or on Monday, but that was a cracking run and such even 2 halves

• Brilliant run there NN! I fancied 20M today but the accumulated distance has taken its toll this week, so cut it short at a plodding 16M.

Pammie - yeah, the flaming goose. It wasn't a bite as such, just a nasty peck to my gloved fingers, but quite funny all the same!

• Scobos, many thanks for the Edinbrugh info.  I'll look at a map now.   And well done on the series.

M, sounds like you had a really good race there, and your real half M time is due for some serious revision, but also sounds as if you took the event far too seriously - missed out on all the wine ?

BR, I thought you and hilly were going to do the French one with wines last year ?

RFJ, well done at Stubbington

Trini, sounds like a great day

SS, yes, I only feel warmed up after an hour, and really don't like the first hour of most runs, though if I do a short run in the morning or at lunchtime, I can usually get into a second run much more easily.   Which is, I suppose, why I prefer the longer distances

hilly, and you've been clocking up the miles recently. I bet your legs were a bit tired as well.  I'm sure the 10k times will come in the summer after your marathon. Haven't you just moved into a new house, or are just about to, which will need expeditions to B&Q ?

What: Bath half marathon
    Why: I felt I should test my current form over a standard road distance, and after a few weeks easy in the middle of ultra training
    What I learnt:  Its f*cking stupid to expect to run to expectation 10lbs overweight

Left home in pouring rain, and still raining when I got there, and had to wait c 30mins for a bus from the Park & Ride.  The 'runner's village' field was already a mud bath, but much worse just before and after the race.   I asked at the baggage store tent whether I could leave my stuff while I went for a warm up, but was told no, not possible, so I hung around for a few mins, before getting ready to warm up just before the  race.  At just this moment, an announcement on the tannoy said they were delaying the start for one hour... A lucky escape, as I was talking to a chap afterwards who had had to spend the extra hour shivering in his shorts and vest !   Everyone packed into a few marquees, but still not the ideal prep for a race.  Eventually the rain stopped and the hour passed, and I got to my starting zone, feeling quite up for the race. I hardly looked at my watch, but I know I was racing just about as hard as I could but the pace just wasn't there. Even so quite shocked by the slowness of my final time : 1:51, pretty much a PW, and no excuses available; except:   of recent times:
    2004     8st 2lbish    1:37
    2006/7:   several races @  8st 7          1: 43/1:144
    now:   9st 3lb (despite my best efforts esp since Xmas)     1:51 
    It kinda fits, and follows The Competitive Runners Handbook charts pretty exactly - ie for half M reckon 1min/lb.    So a) I'm not going to do any road races till I'm at a proper weight  b) hopefully the high mileage weeks to come will sort the problem

• ha bloody ha scooby

trini-amazig report

TMR-ooh, fighting talk

Hilly, I think you are hard on yourself too

7 miles for me on the tready

I am even faster on the tready these days-most odd

• MikeB - very well done on your race.  A number of intelligent runners we spoke to afterwards reckoned an extra 40 secs for the conditions.  I too think hilly is being harsh on herself as she ran 7 secs faster on that final km than the previous 2.  Out of interest, what sort of taper did you do for this race to pull out such a good performance from your training this year?

RFJ - yup I'm quite observant!  Well done on your race and perhaps you felt a weight lifted from your shoulders knowing your mother is at rest so you could run well today.

NN - that must be a great confidence booster - both the run and the weekly mileage.  16 more than I did this week.

Scobos - excellent long run - how does that compare with similar runs you may have completed about 4 weeks out from previous marathons?

Trini - impressed at your Gobi+ start for your race

Wardi - great to see you back so strong

What: warm up running in the wrong direction then 6.23 miles @ 6:15 pace, mostly @ 166hr
    Why: pacing and marathon preparation.  166hr, marathon -10bpm blah blah, 2 secs per bpm blah blah

Eastleigh 10k is a good course - the hill just at the right point at 3k then a long sweeping downhill for 3k.  Reminded me somewhat of Leeds Abbey Dash.  It appears that it tends to suffer from the wind a bit.  In that respect it's a bit like races around the Hull area in that if you get an area near the coast which is flat then it is susceptible to winds.

The prize ceremony seemed to take forever with so many categories, Hants Championships, SEAA championships and kind thoughts from the worshipful Mayor of Eastleigh.  Just to clarify for those who seem confused - there was no one running in drag - it was a man running with a woman's number.

• TmR - sorry it didn't go to plan.  It was La Rochelle we were thinking of doing last year, not a 26.2 mile fun runimage

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    evening all,

Scobos - yipppppeeeeeee - I was wondering how that one came out.

Wardi - really pleased to hear it.

AF, that's going to be some awesome character you develop... well done!

Running duck - bravo. That's a lot of hard racing.

Hilly, I'am beginning to get steamed up with this. You run like the champion you are, and one way or another someone else toddles off with the prize. Stink stink stink. About time you got the credit you have earned.

RFJ - nicely run!

Me? The final leg of the Turing Trail relay.
    After a fraught lead up with one of our runners injured (resulting in me rejoining the team) and panicky telephone calls this morning trying to explain to a Bulgarian visitor that gale force winds and driving rain were not generally regarded as reasons for not running in this country, and the challenges of locating lost runners, the running seemed somehow straightforward by comparison.

We had a good view of our 5th runner approaching, performing some intricate dance with curious changes of directions as he attempted to stay upright while avoiding the deeper pits of high-quality well-churned agricultural mud. I set off in misleadingly kind circumstances - springy turf underfoot, well, squishy turf, and sheltered with only the roar in the trees indicative of what was in store..

That all came to an end after a mile when we left the friendly cover and set off along the flood wall into the teeth of a hostile gale. It was extremely difficult to make forward progress. I found myself recalling advice given me by my rugby playing son - get low, and put your shoulder into it. It sort of worked. There can't be many more exposed corners of lowland England than the fens, and the top of the floodwall leaves you a perfect target for the gusts.

I say we - I was quite alone at this point. Others amongst us had been my style of runner. Just me and the river and Ely cathedral in the distance. That was the trouble really. Eyes down, shoulder to the wind, count the steps to the next stile, look up, and there away on the skyline its familiar profile, maddeningly, mockingly, looking always far too small and insignificant.

More river, more wind, more stiles. There was one curious period of about 40 seconds when the wind stopped. I could stand up straight, my ears didn't ache, and I almost dared to hope that the change would be permanent. It wasn't

Just when the road bridge came into view so did a figure approaching along the floodbank at a goodly clip. It was the Mr, come to rescue me and give me a shoulder to shelter behind for the last bit. Very welcome indeed. The lap of the playing field at the end was not entirely welcome - well, half of it was with the wind - but the sight (and sound!) of my teammates was a treat that gave life to dead legs.

55th out of 60, well, no one is going to boast about that, but we are who we are and can only run with the legs we've got. All of us on that team were running out of a very genuine admiration for the great man. All of us are mathematicians, and some have very close working connections with Turing. We ran with solid purpose and consider the job well done.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    So how'd I forget Trini and M! Extraordinary runs, the both of you. Hope that when you do run the flat race at some point that you cache in on all the progress you have made.

NN, Scobos, fantastic runs.

TmR. Sorry it didn't go. Sometimes you need to do something like that. Run, get really p'd off with the result to set the resolve. Good luck with the getting into fighting trim again. I haven't made any progress either, though I don't suppose the extra four pounds can have made me *that* slow.

Oh, and although I spun the story out and made it sound like at least a half, it was all of 5.4 miles. It was, in its way, quite enough!
  • Well done Stickless on the relay leg
  • Evening,

Back at work after a wet and windy Bath half marathon

Started as utter chaos, queues of people lining up for race numbers that were sent out too late(including me). Runners Village a quagmire of liquid mud - not the organisers fault of course, start delayed by an hour and most people drenched and freezing. By this stage I was cursing the race and swore this was my first and last Bath Half. Raced started at 12, exactly an hour late but have to say, all was forgiven as it really is a fabulous course which more than made up for the start chaos. I'm sure there'll be complaints and hopefully things will improve for next year as it really is a race worth doing. Position as yet I have no idea of but time was 72.30 which I'm fairly happy with, with 4 weeks till London.

Will have to read back tomorrow - luckily last night shift before 12 days off.

• mavamava ✭✭✭

Stickless - wonderfully run and wonderfully reported. 

NN - I'm speechless.  Maybe one day I can find long runs comfortable.

And to all others well done. I did read all but my short term memory being what it is as soon as I find myself on another page I forget.

• BR, my last week's training:

Mon - 4 x 2k (indoors at Lea valley watched by amazed GB sprints coach - I could tell what they were thinking!) - 6:25, 6:30, 6:33, 6:26 - off 90s / 200m jog

Tues - 10 miles (65)

Weds - Long run (worked last weekend) 21.9 miles in PB 2:19:51 - three equal laps were at 6:45, 6:15, 6:05 pace

Thurs 10 (67)

Fri Rest, not planned but ran out of time

Sat - 6 miles spectating at Intercounties, long and very tiring day

Sun 10k race + 5m jogging

weekly total 70 miles.

This year I'm keeping the mileage a bit lower (90 will be a big week) just to see how it works!

Off to Portugal in the morning

• Interesting Mike.  Is Portugal for a training camp?  Nice for both of us to meet you again and I hope to watch your vest disappear (slightly) into the distance whilst I'm down hereimage

Rundown - sounds really bad once they've fleeced you for £34 (although maybe you got a free place with your times).  A friend of mine ran 71:20 and also observed that his was picking his way through slower runners on the 2nd lap.

• Thanks everyone.  I'm still feeling over the moon this morning.  Not sore either although my legs are definitely tired.

I'm going to try this weeks HM pace run (2 x 5k) at 1.43 HM pace (4.53 per km) and see how that goes.  Assuming all is well with that I might give that pace a go for Nelson.  I am nervous of reaching for too much in one go and seriously crashing and getting nothing though. 

Mel - such good news that your Grandpa is doing so well.  I hope your flight back was good.

Well raced RFJ

Wow - congratulations Trini that sounds like a quite astonishing "not race"! 

Well done AF and NN on your 23 milers.  Anyone would think there was a marathon coming up or something....

well done hilly - i'm sure they'll get that medal sorted out.   

well done runner duck - 5 halfs in 7 weeks is going some.

well run mike - your sub 32 will come i'm sure.  congrats on a good run anyway.

TMR - I've lost 22lbs in the last year and its certainly made a huge difference.  I'm sure the higher miles will bring rewards both in terms of lower weight and training effect also.  i expect you'll be flying again in no time.

BR - the prizegiving at my race took forever also - a bottle of wine for the winner of each race (nothing for second or third - not even a mention) then a 1/2 case of wine + another prize for each of 15 different categories of fancy dress winner.  This is an event that is very clear indeed about where its priorities lie!

• Well run M,

BR - It was a free place but know of others who payed and abandoned. Organisation was a shambles and I'm guessing they'll get some well deserved flack, but hopefully they'll learn from this.

Mike B - enjoy Portugal. Haven't you already been once this year? Interesting your trying the lower mileage approach this year.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Mike B - thanks for your views on the race conditions.  It's just me, had I run a couple of secs quicker I would've been satisfied.  I just need to see a certain number and 39 isn't that number for 10kimage BR was telling me to sprint down the last bit, but I didn't quite clock what time I was on.  In fact I was disgusted with myself for thinking I'd run 39.40 as I'd forgot to stop my watch - lol  BTW very good time today and I'm sure that sub 32 in there on the right day in the right conditions!

Rundown - shame about the organisation at Bath.  I've done it twice and have to say it was spot on on those occasions.  Maybe there's a different organiser?  Well done for running so well under the circumstances.

Stickless - thanks!  Well done on your relay leg and glad to read you were pleased with the job done.

Wardi and NN, good long runs and confidence boosters.

• well done stickless sounds like you had to really tough it out there

nice one rundown glad you got over the initial madness to have a good run.  i'm terrible at letting start issues affect my whole day.

• M. - great half - sounded like you really enjoyed it.

Trini - unbelievable report - an amazing performance - enjoy your recovery.

Scobos, AF, Night Nurse - huge long runs.

TMR - still very respectable - sure we'd all like to run like we used to but just put your time in the age-calculator - always makes me feel a little better.

Stickless - congrats on your relay performance - as you say, a job well done!

Rundown - great time - shame about the organization of the event.

Mike B - very impressive!

RFJ - you must be very happy with that 10k.

Wardi - very pleased to hear the long run went well.

Hilly - 39.00 1st W40 - what can I say - FAB - there aren't too many women over 40 who can run that fast, enjoy!

What: 3 miles easy bushtracks - not that easy really, I was still so tired after my 20 miler on Saturday, I fell up the steps up the hill. Never mind, no harm done. Went to my sister's 60th birthday party in the afternoon - had a very enjoyable time.

Good running everyone.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

NZC - thanks for your kind words.  There's plenty of life in me yetimage

MikeB - having looked on the results website they seem to have removed any rogue runners and I seem to be the first F35-44, so have emailed the organisers.  If we don't hear anything by next weekend we'll let you know so you can make further enquiries.

• TMR..not ideal race preparation..what a nightmare an HOUR delay..in that weather too ..sounds pretty damn grim to me..there must have been alot of cold wet runners...sorry to see you werent happy with your time ..I assume Bath is flat ? maybe too flat ? I found the endless flat roads in Cardiff draining..and ran no faster than on local hilly courses.

Stickless..lovely descriptive well written post ..as usual...well done for getting well and truely stuck into your leg of the relay..and those shorter races are harder I think than the longer ones...I have a 10k on Easter Monday..and I know I will find it more challenging than a half marathon...you have to run faster ..

Rundown..fabulous time at Bath..

Mava..the run its self was comfortable..till I took my blood stained trainer off to find a blood soaked sock..the nail on my little toe had been digging into the toe next to it..."that's hard core mum " said my son...sarcastic devil..he had been sat on his x box the whole time I had been running...

• It never ceases to amaze me how race organisers can be given the privilige of hosting a county or regional championship and then make a mess of awarding the medals.

This is not to cast doubt on the capability of the Easteigh 10k, as the problem today was caused by somebody committing the crime of running in a female number even though he must have known it would mess up the prizes.

However on a number of occasions over the years I have seen...

1. Me getting a Yorkshire medal as a senior in front of a vet clubmate who got nothing despite him beating me
    2.  Online entries for county championship races which don't have a box to tick to enter them.  I put in the additional notes that we wanted to enter the champs and having to contest the awards at the end of the race.  (However HH did such a good job with this we joined themimage)
    3.  Hilly still waiting for her Vet gold medal from the South Yorks HM championships from Doncaster in March 2007.
    4.  The witholding of a county gold medal at the Askern 10 as there were no `senior' females in the race and a vet had the temerity to win.

It seems that unless you nag people to get their finger out of their backsides then medals don't get awarded.  One would think that the medals would be there to be awarded on the day (as they were today - full marks to Southampton RC).

Note - no criticism of the Eastleigh 10k today - they did as well as they could - this is a general running observation - I've seen slackness in Yorkshire and Dorset.  I wondered if other areas suffer the same malaise?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Very nice racing folks.

Well played Hilly.

Now you are Southern based yourself and BR should take the trouble to travel a bit further East and do the Chichester Priory 10k which is now in October - its the fastest course around and attracts speed merchants from far and wide, so there's lots of folks to run with even if you're a real gun.

• TR - thanks - it's one I'd looked at doing.  It's part of the inter-regional champs, the same as Leeds Abbey Dash.

I think that and the Wimborne 10m will be the autumn goal races, with maybe the Christchurch 10k in Dec as a backup.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    BR

Chekout the results from last year - folks run fast there.
  • Good grief..never seen results like it ...
  • Yup I'm amazed.  When I ran my pb at Leeds I was 43rd.  In that race I'd have been 84th!!

I'm in!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ha Ha,

Bizarrely I ran my slowest ever 10k there last Feb when I was training for my first (aborted) FLM.

The course is mainly flat with a couple of slight rises and so the last mile or so is very slightly downhill, its one big lap with no tight corners and so is very fast.

10ks don't really float my boat but I know that the local folks who want fast times go there.
  • Chichester last year was a bit of an anomoly, since it included the UK intercounties as well as an inter-area match. Really meant we got a great field out.

The equivalent race this year is on 1st June in Coventry apparantly.