Options

training and booze

Hi all, I am 42 and on and off take my training seriously running up to 4 times a week including a long run on sundays of 14/15 miles.I have a job which causes me considerable stress at times as Im sure you folks have.The problem is I like a drink to counter that and worry that I am wasting my training by so doing. How do you mix training and booze and do you think you can produce your best whilst still having the odd bottle of red?Your views?

Comments

• Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    hi faf, we had a bit of a chat about booze and running a while ago. can't remember the thread title though.

fwiw though, i had a couple of glasses of red wine the night before the marathon and am convinced it helps the digestion as I had a very good race. Obviously I had been hydrating like mad all day and the morning before as well with non-alcoholic beverages! A bottle per evening though would definitely be somewhat excessive unless it's shared with your other half or a mate.

Do you not find the running itself eases the stress though? Am a bit concerned that it's not. Lots of tea and coffee during the day at your stressful job will make things worse so perhaps you could to other areas to reduce your need for a drink in the first place?
  • Options
    A good hard, sweaty long run is one of the best ways I know of getting rid of a hangover.
  • Options
    I ALWAYS run better with a few jars in the tank from the night before! Dangerous I know!
  • Options
    Excellent source of carbohydrates ! A few pints 2 nights b4 is fine. Night before a race ? Hmmm, I just have a single glass of red wine to calm my nerves. But as my mate says, by running regularly it allows you to go out and get totally slaughtered once a week without affecting your weight/fitness. You just run it all off the next day !
  • Options
    Dont get the wrong impression, I dont drink a lot often but I am unsure of how much fitter I would get if I didnt drink at all
  • Options
    Hi Faf.

Alcohol is a poison. You'd feel SO much better if you never, ever touched a drop of it again.

>>V-rap logs off quickly before the flamethrowing starts<<
  • Options
    You may be fitter but completely miserable. You could always have the odd pint/glass of wine and up the training!
  • Options
    I'm going out tonight to celebrate my divorce (hurrah at last) and I'm racing on Sunday, so re-hydrating like crazy tomorrow! I shall stick to beer tonight as they last longer than wine and I don't drink as many!
  • Options
    Bear,

I like the idea of a pint of wine!!

V-rap!! What are you like?? Of course it's poison but what the hell. Every now and then it's nice to indulge somewhat.

Red, red wiiiiine!!!

(UB40)
  • Options
    It's the only way to drink it, Ratbag.
  • Options
    I have seen no evidence in an improvement in performance since cutting alcohol out of my diet but I can say that I have not missed a plan run whereas when drinking regularly I often felt to tired/sick/dehydrated. A little bit of what you fancy doesn't hurt thought....moderation!
  • Options
    I'm with Wolfy on this one...moderation in all things is key. I don't drink at all during the week because that's when I exercise most and I have to drive a long way to work too, but I do like a few beers/bottle of wine on a Friday or saturday night. I try to have a rest day the day after. It's been a bit of a struggle giving up the drink totally during the week but I have seen a dramatic improvement in my running and do find it a better way of counteracting stress.
  • Options
    interesting to hear Tims view, surely stress itself is a dangerous road. I am certain that a drink eases stress, a run does without doubt but I couldnt or wouldnt want to run every night.
  • Options
    I have always enjoyed a few beers. But I definately cannot manage training or racing hard the day after! Enjoy a few pints, but try to moderate it during decent training............. I did say try!
    Oh stuff it, i'm off to the pub!
  • Options
    iM WITH YOU FAF. g+t EVERY NIGHT UNLESS iM ON CALL!! iF i HAVE A HANGOVER IN THE MORNING THEN ITS JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS! i DID USE TO THINK THAT EARLY MORNING RUNNING MIGHT STOP ME DRINKING, BUT NO SUCH LUCK!! tHIS POST WOULD BE MORE WITTY IF iWAS ABLE TO HAVE A g+ t TONITE!!
    sOMETHINGS WRONG WITH THE Computer.Oh yeah. Caps lock. (Ionly started using a computer a few months ago).
  • Options
    Faf, you shouldn't run every night - but you certainly shouldn't drink every night. As Tim says, alcohol is addictive and never more so than when you use it as medicine rather than for pleasure. You'll come to no harm sticking to 21 units a week or less - once you're up to 35 units in a typical week, you've got a problem.

I like a tipple myself, poison or not, but my intake tends to be moderated by the fact that I don't have time to pander to a hangover. I probably drink less in a year now than I did in a week when I was a student.
  • Options
    Same here v-rap (about drinking less in a week now that in a year when I was a student). I generally have one beer a night (every night) its become a tradition! I actually really hate being drunk - not the actual drinking part but the fact that nowadays it will take me a good 3 days to get over a heavy session.

However, running too late at night will also keep you awake as it raises the metabolism at precisely the wrong time.
  • Options
    Living in the land of complete alcoholics, as I do (Dubai, UAE) I like a few vodka and diet cokes at the weekend and sometimes the odd glass of red with my evening meal during the week, but it does make my morning runs a bit harder. Helps sweat it all out though, I find.

• Options
    I've found taking up running again has helped me cut the amount I drink. I've got a lovely bottle of Laphroig in the cupboard - not touched it since June. What a waste!
  • Options
    Sassie, if you don't think you'll ever get round to drinking that bottle of phroggie then I'll gladly take it off your hands next time we meet.
  • Options
    Hi
    I'm a v. new runner trying to replace chardonnay as a stressbuster with running. However achilles problems are proving rather frustrating. Am planning to walk the GNR now as achilles (& lack of prep) will not permit a run. Help!
  • Options
    Nowt wrong with walking. I walked 13miles of the Cardiff marathon last weekend,AND BLOODY FINISHED.
    So see you at the back. We could form a walk/walk pacing group!
    Have fun 1
  • Options
    Cheers benz
    see you there.
  • Options
    Madrin, you've 4 weeks to prepare for the GNR. Get stuck into the ice and calf/hamstring stretches and you could surprise yourself on the day!

But I agree with benz, walking's cool and there will be plenty of walkers among the 40,000 or so doing the GNR - I fully expect to do a bit of it at sub-running pace myself.

Nothing wrong with a spot of chardonnay when you finish - or even during the race if that's what works for you :-)
  • Options
    OOh vrap
    Thought all alcohol was poison!
    Time for my gin
  • Options
    Velociraptor, Benz
    Thanks
    Feel better already- despite being unable to pronounce velociraptor (or indeed know what it means)due to kumala chardonnay. Went for GNR desperados run this am (i.e. the you've left 4 weeks - you saddo)-however I'm sure it's the taking part that counts. Just what time does the 'Get you Round Group' go for?

• Options
    Madrin, the get-you-round group will be aiming for 2:30 (and the pacers are usually very accurate) - that's about 12-minute miles. They use a walk/run technique.

Yeah, benz, alcohol is poison - but "pharmacology" is derived from the Greek word for poison, and medicines are pharmacological products, and everyone knows that medicine is good for you...except that I just said that alcohol as medicine is the slippery slope to Skid Row, didn't I? Oh soddit, anyone who needs to ask whether they drink too much probably does.

Enjoy your gin!
  • Options
    Oh I want to do GNR in 2.5, glad to hear ill have company this time