New Forest Marathon

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
Was down in the forest today, and thought of this event, in 2003 was my PB at 3:42, this would be my first mara as a V40 too..... mmmmm more than tempted, just need to wait for entries to open and a leave pass from Mrs RFJ for all the training again, suppose best get London out of the way first....!

Comments

• I'm thinking of running this years New forest Marathon. What sort of course is it? PB potential? I have only run one marathon before (Snowdon - 3hrs 46mins last October) I am looking for the right course to break 3hrs 30mins.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Its a undualing course with one big hill on it at 19m as far as I can remember, I too will be looking at 3:30...
  • Do you two know when entry opens?

cheers

• I dont know! Does anybody know when entry opens?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Just looked at the website and they say Entry forms available from April 2008..... but not a specific date in April.

So will have to be patient for a bit longer...... hope its soon though

• I am checking the web site daily for my entry. I will e-mail and ask.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

They have just put up an anouncement, should be soon, they seem to have had some issue with the course, but have now been resolved acoording to the web site... so not long now all being well.....

Of to London tomorrow for the FLM....

• Hi RFJ,

How did your London go, i managed 4.57.37 after the 5.16.34 on the track in Crawley a couple of weeks ago.

I am just about to check the New Forest website to see if entries are open yet, as the missus wants to do the half,may see you there,

Take care, Trevor.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi Trevor, 3:43:53 after a 4:31 at Crawley... well done, thats a great effort

As a result of a meeting today i will no longer be able to do this, which is a right b****r, so have just entered Abingdon instead, but really wanted to do this one, never mind may be next year.

• trev

will be doing new forest

fellow flyer

• Hey, deads

Well done for Rotterdam, was it a lot cooler than last year? Catch up with you soon.

RFJ,

YOUR lONDON TIME WAS A LOT BETTER THAN CRAWLEY, WELL DONE TO YOU TO, YOU DID FANTASTIC.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks Trevor

what else have you got planned race wise?

• Hi RFJ,

HAVE JUST MANAGED TO WORK OUT HOW TO GET A NICKNAME UP, AND THIS IS WHAT I WAS CALLED WHEN I WAS IN MY TEENS DUE TO THE AMOUNT OF GYM WORK I USE TO DO.

HAVE GOT THE SHAKESPEARE MARATHON NEXT WEEK, LUXEMBOURG THE FOLLOWING WEEK, A HALF IRONMAN IN JULY NEAR TRENTHAM,RACE THE TRAIN IN AUGUST, HOPEFULLY NEW FOREST IN SEPTEMBER AND PALMA,MAJORCA AND BEACHY HEAD IN OCTOBER.

HOW ABOUT YOU?  AM THINKING OF TWO OCEANS NEXT APRIL (11TH) IF I THINK I CAN AFFORD IT.

• trev

weather was a lot cooler this year, it warmed up near the end which was nice, able to sit around in warm weather is nice.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Trev - I have just got Abingdon planned for maras, entered FLM on the online so will wait with baited breath...... would like to do the midnight sun mara again if I can aford it.
  • Postal entries now open for this one. Entry forms available on the NFMA website. I sent mine today!

Get your entry in Deads!!!

• Rushing to work to do it now OBL, 50th marathon for you this weekend if my memory serves me right..

GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE

Kevin and his friend Trev will be running it to.

• OBL, Good luck for your 50th marathon, i am just 9 behind you at the moment. And aimimg fo 50 as well.

Deads, Sent of mine this morning and for Gill to do the half.

• Hello Deads and Tonka Boy

Many thanks for your good wishes. My plan changed - I'm doing number 52 this Sunday! I found a couple of extras, Bungay was my 50th 3 weeks ago then I did a xc one last Sunday. That means the hat-trick has turned into four in a row Deads.

It looks like this years New Forest M will be my friends 50th (unless we find some more in between).  As it stands it will be my 62nd.

The New Forest is fantastic.  It will be interesting to see the new part of the course this year. It will be my 7th NFM in a row. (I sound like a statistics geek don't I)?

Keep up the good work Tonka Boy.  See you at the 3 Forts Deads. (Don't wait for me this time though)!!

xx

• 20 weeks and 6 days to train for a sub 4 attempt! Anyone using the schedules from on here? May be getting a garmin/nike+ in the next few weeks to make sure my gmp runs are consistently paced.
  • OBL

4 in a row.......... MAD. See you sunday then. I hope you like this 1

• OBL, i was hoping to meet you with Kevin at TI before Shakespeare but did not get there for 8.45am so missed you all, well done on your 52nd marathon. GOOD LUCK AT THREE FORTS,

I was hoping for 4.45 and due to the heat, i struggled from 17 doing the old walk/run routine and finished in 5.17.33 a little disapointed, but glad to have got round and number 42 in the bank.

Deads hope you have a good three forts as well, catch up with you soon.

• Deads - You are quite right, I am mad, but it feels great!  I am sure I will like the 3 Forts, and I will no doubt recognise some of it from the Stinger. I wonder what the weather will do.

Tonka Boy - sorry you didn't get the time you wanted at Shakespeare, it certainly was hot out there. I somehow managed 4.18, which is much better than I could have hoped for. I was really ready for it and felt good all the way round. Like you say, each one is another one in the bank.

We should at least mention the New Forest, as we are on their thread.  It seems ages away but it will soon come round. We hope to get down to the forest in the next couple of months as it is one of our favourite places to be. I always find the NF marathon to be very special and one of the hightlights of my year.

Happy running everyone.

• OBL, Thanks for last post, after snow at Thames Towpath and rain/hail in FLM i really was not expecting Sundays weather and it just seemed to have floored me from mile17.

You have a good one at 3 forts, a few years back i did 4 on 4 consecutive weekends, Paris, Flm, Shakespeare and then 3 Forts, so have funimage

• Thanks Tonka Boy, I am sure I will enjoy it. Not sure from your smiley if you enjoyed the 4 in a row or not?!?

The Running Wilbury - So sorry, we seem to have ignored your post. Unintentional I promise! I probably didn't comment because I don't know anything about training programmes or Garmins! It's not because I'm thick (although I might be a bit) but I have never felt the need to monitor my progress. I just run how I feel, and nearly always within my comfort zone - lazy eh? I hope someone can offer you some advice and I hope your training goes well and you achieve your goal.

• The New Forest Marathon was my first marathon way back in the mists of time (85?), and somehow did a reasonable time. It was either there or the next years London that I did 3.55.

I too love the forest,and will be interested to see how they've changed the route. Am I right in thinking from the inference on the NF website that the full course is just two laps of the half?

Will probably 'warm up' for this by doing the NF10 in July. Any of you guys doing that?

PS Whatever happened to the fantastic Poole Marathon?

• Running Wilbury,From what i read about the New Foerest marathon course was that they have only changed a bit of it, making an off-road bit 3m instead of 1 1/2m, due to congestion but do not think it is 2x 1/2 marathon course(i hope not)

I did the Poole marathon a couple of times late 80's early 90's, i thought from family that live down that way, that due to the amount of road closures it was becoming harder each year to convince the council and police that it was viable.

As OBL says i only run to how i feel, if good then pace is ok, if bad then pace is slow(nothing new there then) i have friends who have Garmins and swear by them, one said that he did a good run one day and down loaded it???? THEN WHEN HE RAN IT NEXT HE COULD THEN RUN AGAINST HIMSELF, GOOD THING IS HE STILL CAME IN FIRST.

NF 10 clashes with a local race that we do for our club, so not for me this year, unfortunately.

• Hi all,

Just been looking at the NFM website and it does state that both the half and the full routes are one lap - thank goodness!  I ran the Gosport half, that was two laps and I hated it.

Will be going the the full this time - my second Marathon so I am hoping for a decent route.  The scenery should hopefully be rahter less urban than London anyway!

• Ran this 2 years ago and definitely different routes for the half and full, although the first few miles are the same and then the route splits. Staggered starts for the HM and full so no congestion problems. Lovely route and good support through the villages and a nice little off road section on good forest trails. Just save a little for the hill at about 19 miles.
  • The 2008 New Forest Marathon and Half both have new courses designed to minimise road traffic problems. The Full and Half Marathons start in New Milton town centre and follow the old route until they split at 3.5 miles, The Marathon continues on a 13.1 mile loop which includes three miles (5 km) of good forest track and much scenery before rejoining the Half Marathon course to the finish. The Marathon has now  been classed 'Multi-terrain' since UK Athletics rules do not permit any event with more than 2.6 km off tarmac being called a 'Road Race'. The Half Marathon is all tarmac but still very scenic and now on quieter roads. Both races finish back in New Milton as before. see http://www.nfma.org.uk