Options

Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Options

Just read another Jodi Picoult 'Change of Heart'. Quite enjoyed it although I struggled to keep a straight face and take it seriously after the words "He's not the messiah" !!!!

Another Stephanie Meyers..... The Host. Really enjoyed it. A bit weird but another great read. I'm now a big fan of Meyers, can't wait for her to release some more.

I'm now making a list of all the recommendations, and I'm off to search on Amazon.

• Options
    Is that a new one of hers Squish? I read 'My sister's keeper' which I enjoyed but then read one that was a bit far fetched and didn't enjoy it. Have a few more of hers on the shelf to read, might give on of them a go soon.

I finished 'Enduring Love' which I really enjoyed and am now reading (and have almost finished) 'The private lives of Pippa Lee'. It's okay but not thrilling...

Looking for my next 'must read' - i might have a look back through the last few pages for a recommendation...
  • Options

I've just ordered about 6 recommendations. They better be good or else! image

Aitch, I think she wrote it before Breaking Dawn.

• Options
    What have you ordered Squish? I have Salem Falls to read, think it's quite an old one... She's written loads...

I have been making notes on a post-it! image

• Options
    I bought The Host (before I knew about the Twilight books) and got about 10 pages in....then sold in on Amazon.  Now I've read the Twilight books and loved them i want to try and read it again....is it worth re-buying Squishy?
  • Options

i am currently reading "a fine balance" by rohinton mistry

i had never heard of this author or this book, my husband was helping out at the scout jumble sale and one of my mates told him to buy it and give it to me as she thought i would like it

well,i love it
    i would compare it to "the grapes of wrath" but an indian version.  it is set in the 70's just around the time of the partition so the same sorts of themes emerge - people having to move around in order to find work, of people finishing up living on the streets and then being treated badly for living there.  some of the lines could have come from either book "we are only here for a little while to make some money and then we are going back home"  the words of economic migrants anywhere, and how many get home?
    this is all overlaid by the corruption in the local and national government of the time and more chillingly by the way the cast system operated in the rural areas.

it's big, i am only half way through, but worth finding, it's such a good read

• Options

a fine balance

can't believe i have never heard of this writer before

• Options

GFB, I enjoyed The Host. I wasn't sure either in the first few pages, but really got into it and couldn't put it down.

I've ordered

The End of Mr Y (just started reading it)
    The Time Travellers Wife
    Steinbeck, I think I ordered Grapes of Wrath

Can't remember what else, but all recommended on here. Thanks guys.

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Rohinton Mistry is fantastic - my mum recommended him to me as she's right into Canadian writing, living in Canada

I've read two but I can't remember what - I have a terrible memory for books - one was short stories

• Options

i am currently reading the Kenneth Williams diaries, they are very good!

lurker - i thought partition was in the 40's, or does it skip across a few decades?

• Options

been re-reading some of Augusten Burroughs not in the right order Possible Side Effects, Dry and Running with Scissors.  I'm going to look for Sellevision?  and I see he has written one called A Wolf at the Table but reviews suggest he has written it in a darker style without the characteristic humour of the other books, about the abusive relationship with his father.  while a lot of the things he writes about in Running etc are shocking they aren't the same as the  "please daddy no.." t ype books that I find really unappealing as entertainment  (and wont read) so I'd be interested to know if anyone else has read A Wolf at the Table and what they thought about it. 

• Options
    Hi all,

I'm almost finished the Diary of Anne Frank.
    After watching the TV drama a few weeks ago, I went out and bought the book.
    I cried my eyes out watching the last episode and I think the book will have me filling up as well.

I vaguley remember reading it (or a verison) when I was at school.

Anyway; that's my book of the moment.
  • Options

i think it was the fall out from it affecting families and i got mixed up

fantastic book anyway - really recommend it, could not put it down

• Options
    debbo - that's weird, i had not realised he was canadian and i have a couple of favourite authors who are canadian - margaret attwood and robertson davies (am sure your mum will have read him, i think he is a canadian institution all by himself) and i get teased at book club for picking canadian authors
  • Options
    I went to the book stall yesterday and got 'On Chisel Beach' by Ian McEwan, 'Notes from an Exhibition' by Patrick Kale and a couple of trashy Adele Parks books for back up. £1 each, they were, and in very good condition!

I have been told to read 'How to talk to a widower' by Jonathan Tropher. Anyone read it?
  • Options
    I've read it Aitch....it's fantastic.  Also read Notes from an Exhibition which i loved as well.
  • Options
    SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Just finished the 4th Shardlake novel 'Revelation' by C.J.Sansom. He seems to invoke the feel of Tudor Engand. I've read the 3 preceding novels too.

I thried to read his 'Winter in Madrid' and found it heavy going. I felt the end of this book was a cop out. It seemed like he got so far and could not think of a good ending and rushed the last chapter to get everything out of the way.

• Options
    Oh thanks GFB image . Sound like good choices then, My friend gave me 'How to talk to a widower' this morning so I think that might be my next read. Hoping to finish my current book this afternoon... It's better than I thought it was going to be actually...
  • Options

on the running-related front, this is really very good indeed, although it should come with a health-warning....

May Provoke Desire to Take up Fell-Running

• Options
    Has anyone ever read Perfume by Patrick Suskind....I'm ordering books for my holidays and I saw it recommended....any thoughts?
  • Options
    Great film - book is supposed to be much better, more sensory. Try An Interpretation of Murder (sorry can't remember author) read that on holiday, great.
  • Options
    I finished 'How to talk to a widower' - very good. Surprisingly funny!! Got really into it so read it quick
  • Options
    The End of Mr Y is well weird. I'm almost halfway through it but struggling a little bit.
  • Options
    Half way through The Host and really enjoying it...I like her style of writing.
  • Options

Currently reading the Brilliant

Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox.

Awesome stuff - in the genuine original sense of the word. This woman broke the Channel Swimming Record at 15 and again at 16.....  I have got as far as her swim across Glacier Bay dodging Icebergs and plate ice in front of the most amazing view in the world......Is inspiring me to get back in the water (just when you thought it was safe).....

• Options

Ooho

For Valentines / anniversary my lovely hubby bought me an e-book so have to do some book buying in a whole different way. Whilst loving the idea of being able to carry 400+ books around in my handbag I am slightly taken aback at the idea of not having real paper in my hands.

This may sound an odd comment but I often choose a book on its feel and smell, as well as the content.... image

• Options
    Read perfume a while ago I think it was lost on me or I was trying to find more meaning than was actualy there.  Interpretation of Murder was really good.  I read The Outcast on holiday which is a fasinating look into the middle classes of the 50s.  A tad depressing for holiday but never the less really good.
  • Options

Lista

If you liked An Interpretation of Murder try one called The Dante Club, similar sort of intellectually/historically but don't let that put you off! Good read (sorry I am crap at remember authors). 

• Options

I'm afraid I gave up with The End of Mr Y. Just not my cup of tea, well weird and the Mouse God thing did my head in.

I've nearly finished The Lovely Bones, really enjoying it.

• Options

Hello everybody. Squishy pointed me in this direction so I thought I’d pop in and have a look at what people are reading.

I’ve just read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and I loved it. Can anybody recommend any more of his?

I’ve also just started a Meave Binchy called The Glass Lake that I picked up from a charity shop. I’ve not read any of hers before either because I thought they would be a bit flowery and romantic, if you know what I mean, but it sounded quite good on the back cover and I couldn’t find anything else I fancied, but I’m really enjoying it. Has anybody read any more of hers?

I’ll pop in from time to time and see what everybody has been reading. I can pick books up from about 45p - £1.50 from the charity shops and 2nd hand book stall on the market. It’s a bit pot luck what’s there, but I can generally find a couple that I’m interested in. I'll write a few of these authors down and look out for them.

I’ll post on here if I find anything good, but I expect you’ve read them all. It’s great to have some new authors. Thank you, H x