Options

Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Options
    I (randomly) picked up Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson.....not usually my kind of book but enjoyed it so much I've read her jackson Brodie crime books.  They are fantastic and I highly recommend them.  The first book (behind the scenes....) is basically a history of  a family from the conception of Ruby right through her life.  The Jackson Brodie books...Case Histories, One Good Turn and When Will There Be Good News are dark, funny and totally entertaining.  In fact my only disappointment is that I've now finished them....image
  • Options

Sounds good GFB, I'll look out for those.

Hi Hattie. Ken Follett has written loads of good stuff, I've read a lot of his. I read the 'sort of sequel' to Pillars of the Earth, called World Without End, but I found it a bit dull in places and went on a bit too long, not as good as Pillars of the Earth. Whiteout is another good one of his.

The Glass Lake is probably one of Meave Binchy's best, but I haven't read many of hers.

I'm reading Birdsong at the moment. Not sure if I'll like it because tales of war quite often give me nightmares!

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Newbie to the thread.............. I've read birdsong, which was okay but not particularly memorable.  Recently I've read a couple of books by Lionel Shriver, who wrote We Need To Talk About Kevin.  She's a really good writer and her other books are worth searching out.
  • Options

<waves to Mr W from over the top of book>

• Options
    Hi peeps, I'm into Stephen King but I try not to read two in a row.  I like to read factual books inbetween.
  • Options
    FM I've read a quite a lot of Stephen King. My favourite was The Green Mile, not a horror story, really enjoyed it. Salem's Lot scared me to death (the book and the film)... that was King, wasn't it?
  • Options

Yeh Iron Squishy, Green Mile is both a good book and a good film (a rarity for SK films).  Mostly I think films spoil the imagination aspect of books.

Salems lot is a good vampire story.  By the way, have you read the Dark Tower books?  If so, what do you think of the ending?

• Options

Apologies, Iron Squishy, The End of Mr Y was my suggestion. My friend didn't like it either, maybe I have weird taste? image

I've got 2 books on the go at the mo. Just started Eclipse which I'm really enjoying, thanks to all who recommended the Twilight books!

Also reading The House of Doctor Dee by Peter Ackroyd which I'm finding a bit of a struggle. There's one strand in present day with a man moving into the house his father left him in Clerkenwell. It's a strange house which may be haunted and it used to belong to Docor Dee a real-like scientist/magician from Elizabeth I's time. The second strand is Doctor Dee himself but this bit is written so oddly and the character himself is so unlikeable that I'm finding it a bit painful. The modern-day bits are easier to read but the main character is no more likeable. He's not even horrible in an interesting way. Still I'm half-way through now so I'll have to finish it.

Happy reading! image

Just spotted a spelling mistake... or three! Why isn't spell checker working image

• Options
    I'm currently reading another Ian McEwan book 'On Chisel Beach'. It's looking like it's going to be a quick read as I started it en route to uni this morning and read on the way home and I'm on page 51! I bet I'll have finished it tomorrow!
  • Options
    I read Mr Fussy last night - talk about twist in the tale!
  • Options
    I finished The Nineteenth Wife a couple of nights ago. Can't remember who it's by, but it's on 3 for 2 in Waterstones. Really enjoyed it.
  • Options

Little Nemo - don't worry about Mr Y, Crashie read it and enjoyed it, I think it was just me!

Bit short on books again now, just finished Birdsong which I thought was okay but as Mr W said, didn't have a great impact on me.

• Options
    Just finished On Chisel Beach. Ian McEwan has a knack of writing so well that the story is made so much better, if you know what I mean? I must get some more of his books. Not as good as Enduring Love, but I enjoyed it.

For school I have to read 'Children of Winter' by Berlie Doherty as that's what I'm reading to the kids after Easter.
  • Options

In the middle of What To Do When Someone Dies by Nicci French....not bad at all....read half the book in one day...have been busy since so haven't got me head ina book for a few days.

Do you ever wonder what you'd do without a good book to read....I go from one to the next and one of my favourite things is to find a new author who has a load of books out that you can just go through!! image

• Options

Just read 'The Boy with the Striped Pyjamas'. Yes, it is a kids book but I enjoyed it, maybe a little subtle for kids.... or maybe they're brighter than I used to be image but don't know if many of them will get the "Out-With" place!

Just started reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Will let you know what it's like.

• Options
    Oooh Squishy I have read that, I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    I like the boy in the striped pyjamas image

I just read some chick-lit as I was in the mood for it. I've got 'Mister Pip' to read next
  • Options

i didn't think the boy in the striped pyjamas was a kids book and really don't understand why it has been marketed as such

like squish said - i think kids would need all the bits expalining - like where the servant is really a doctor etc

i am reading "three men in a boat " it's hilarious

• Options
    i hated all the sex bits in bird song
    but thought the descriptions of the nitty gritty of life in the trenches were excellent
  • Options
    Working my way through Val McDermid's books which inspired the tv show Wire in The Blood....having never seen the programme I thought i'd just give them a go. They are reasonably gruesome in a serial killer kind of way but excellent reading. 
  • Options

GFB - I've read all of them - brilliant and gruesome. image

Just finished reading Black, White & Gold - Kelly Holmes book - really enjoyed it.

Bedside table is currently littered with half a dozen marathon books, to which I am referring randomly!

• Options

Lurks, I agree with Birdsong, the beginning was dull and I don't think he needed to go on for so long on that particular part of it, but the life in the trenches was very well portrayed. War books give me nightmares, but I do like to read them, it brings me back down to earth and makes me appreciate what we've got.

Never Let Me Go was quite good.

I've just read a Harlan Coben, lent to me by Debbo called 'Hold Tight' which was excellent. To be recommended. In fact, I've enjoyed most of his I've read.

• Options

Finished The Handmaid's Tale last night. Never read it before and it was on 3 for 2 at Waterstones.

I read last thing at night, so some of the switching back and forth between times confused me, and the comment about naming the Aunts after home ec. products just passed me by totally! I'd read it again and it'll probably make much more sense then!

• Options

Passage to Juneau by Jonathan Raban.

Not quite fnished yet but a great laid-back travelogue.

• Options

Reading 'We need to talk about Kevin' - so far it's as dull as dishwater - which is strange as it was recommended to me by someone who is usually spot on with their recommendations...

I'll give it another 30 pages before it gets chucked in the "will read one day" sea chest.

• Options
    Corinthian, it's a bit of a weird book, but worth it in the end.
  • Options

"We need to talk about kevin" has a huge twist at the end my wife read it recently and loved it.

Just read "Booty Nomad" by Scott Mebus

Kinda of a love story for men, V funny!

• Options

Whatcha all reading now?image

I've been reading a few val McDermid's books...they seem to run on a theme....serial killer, a bunch of lesbians, guts and gore. LOL

I'm going on my holidays in a week so am not reading the books i have in the house at the minute.  I've got the new Lee Child, a Nicci French novel and the latest V McD.

Any recommendations to tide me over till I go away?

• Options

Have you tried Kate Atkinson's crime books? Just read When Will There Be Good News? and loved it.

Currently reading a Mark Billingham book which is quite good, plus rereading an old Georgette Heyer one image

• Options

Just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Another 3 for 2 at Waterstones and another one I liked a lot

There's a few references to a couple of well known books throughout it, but I've never read either of them, so they didn't spoil the twist in the end for me. I'm not sure I'd have got it even if I had read them