Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Afternoon.

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave. Amazing. You must, must, must read it.

• I'm reading Regency romances at the moment. Don't ask!image
  • Just checked Amazon for the Bodyline book Corinth. Quite fancy one on the same page called the Sledgers Handbook image

Moomoo...image

• Don't worry Moomoo, we all do it! image

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

I think I've come across the book before Kwilter - best one I heard was off Merv Hughes to Mike Atherton after he'd let one another pass the bat outside off stump:

"If I bowl you a ***kin grand piano will you play that you ***kin Pommie Poof?"

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

How about "Why are you so fat?"

"'cos every time I f8ck your wife she gives me a biscuit!"

• aitch - notes on an exhibition - top book, i did not want it to end

corinthian - boy 3 will be getting that for his birthday - sounds right up his street

• not boy3 - he is 9, boy 1 who is 14

• Does anyone remember the Bodyline tv series that came out YEARSS ago?  I loved it and it really explained alot about cricket...I've been a fan ever since (can't wait for the Ashes!!)
  • Yes, I remember watching that thinking...surely that's just the way the West Indies bowl innit? Whinging Aussies image

My son was old enough to watch the last Ashes series here, and loved it. (good series to watch for your first cricket introduction) so we're all waiting for this one to start.

Today I'm mainly reading a quilting book, so I can work out what to do for my next project.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Yes, I saw that too, "Which one of you baaarstards called this baaarstard a baaastard?"
  • Still slogging through Spares, but am sprinting through The Straw Men by the same author...

Has anyone read The Other Hand by Chris Cleave?  I saw it in Waterstones the other day but had no cash on me.  Amazon seems very polarised in reviews....apparently it looks like one of those love it or hate kind of books. 

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    "Which one of you baaarstards called this baaarstard a baaastard?"
    One of my favourite quotes of all time; I thought that noone else in the whole world had picked up on it. it's good to know I'm not (quite) alone image
  • I am FREEEEEEEEEE of uni now so plenty of opportunity to read read read! image
  • Who's read Jodi Picoult's book 'My sister's keeper'? I just blubbed my way through the film! It was interesting to see how they made it into a film. Parts were a bit iffy but on the whole I thought it was good. A difficult book to turn into a film, I thought...
  • PS For anyone who loved 'the time traveller's wife', I saw a trailor for the film and literally go goosebumps and eyes welled up a little so it looks like it is going to be a brilliant film!

PPS I REALLY don't usually cry at films! Books yes, films no, but look at me go!!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Just read Azincourt by Bernard Cornwall over the weekend. Makes you glad you didn't live in the middle ages.
  • Just finished the last Twilight book. Sad that's it all finished now, I really enjoyed them image
  • MF, I'm planning on taking that on holiday with me. Glad to see it's a good read
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

I was planning to read it on holiday too, but I was ill over the weekend..... My daughter has read it now too (one epic evening read!) and thought it was really good too.

It is skillfully woven around the battle of Agincourt. The historical background is amazing. I never realised that (the numbers are arguable but the consensus is 5000 Engilish vs 30000 French) that the battle has such uneven odds.

• A one evening read....that's got to be a sign of a good book!

Just don't tell me who wins OK? image

• BOING!

Nearly time to start choosing books for the summer holidays. I normally take 1 serious book, 1 trashy book and 1 somewhere in the middle. Although as I'm flying Easyjet they'll all have to be lightweight image

In the meantime I managed to track down Cormac McCarthy's The Road at the library. Only a few pages in but I'm finding it strangely beautiful which I hadn't expected. Thanks to everyone on here that raved about it.

Happy reading image

• Aitch - just butting in here! I read the Jodi Picoult one a bit ago and I enjoyed it but I wasn't sure about the twist at the end! It kind of put me off reading any of her others but I just finished Salem Falls which was very enjoyable. It had another gripping plot but it wasn't too weighty a read.
  • I've got Azincourt in my suitcase ready for holidays...if I keep it out, I'll read it before I go!

Currently re-reading the Earth's Children series by Jean Auel for about the 20th time.

• Hello book club.

Aitch I have read a Jodi Piccoult called Change of Heart I think it was. I'd definately read some more of hers, I enjoyed it and I found it sad. I'll look out for that one. I much prefer books to films, I'm always so disappointed with the characters when I see the film as they look nothing like I imagined.

My boyfriend bought me Twilight on Saturday and I'm half way through and LOVING it. It's just brilliant and I can't wait to read the others. Are their 4 in total?I know they've made that into a film. Is Edward REALLY REALLY gorgeous? I can't see how they can find a man so beautiful by the picture I've got of him in my head. I'm in love with him myself ha ha.

I need to pop to the charity shop for a mooch as I'm away in a couple of weeks staying at my mom and dads, although their bookcase is pretty full so I'll have a rummage through that too.

• Yep, 4 books in total and I enjoyed all of them image

Read Azincourt while we were out at IMCH and really enjoyed it. definitely PMSL-time at Sir John's views of the French (sorry Nemo, it may not be suitable for those of Gallic extraction...)

After our raid on Waterstones pre-holiday, I have also got through:

The Shack (W. P. Young): bloke with dead daughter meets god. Interesting, though in places the theology overpowers the story. Oddly moving, though I'm not religious.

Breath (Tim Winton): aging paramedic reviews his boyhood as a surfer. Fabulous; absolutely fabulous

Company of Liars (Karen Maitland): Oddball group of nine flee the Plague. OK; too many people died and I could see the twist coming a mile off.

The Other Hand (Chris Cleave): middle class Brit saves Nigerian woman and their lives are joined again a year or two later. Beautifully written, really enjoyed it til the end, which struck me as contrived.

The Sweet Smell of Decay (P. Lawrence): Unlikely duo have to solve gruesome murder in 1664. Didn't do it for me at all. Didn't seem well written, didn't much care if the characters lived or died.

Netherland (Joseph O'Neill): Story of strife in a marriage, set between New York and the UK; involves alienation, depression and cricket. This may not make it sound too appealing, but I absolutely loved it. Keep a dictionary handy...

• ...alientaion, depression and cricket. Yorkshire fan living in Australia by any chance Crashie? image
  • OOooh a book thread! I didn't know about this, goodie!

I liked My Sister's Keeper too, but agree with Kinsey about the ending, seemed a bit unnecessary. Have read one other by her, "Mercy". Also good, but a bit samey in that it took an issue (euthanasia in this one) and did a fiction about everyone's angst around it.

Haven't had the chance to read back yet so apologies if I'm repeating someone, has anyone read "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson?
  • I liked GWTDT and will read the other two in the trilogy*. It would help if there weren't so many closely-related people in the plot though...

...and yep, we both sussed the twist fairly early on image

* I'm assuming that there are another two books as it says something about a 'trilogy' on the cover of TGWTDT, though neither of the otehrs has jumped off the shelves of Waterstones and assaulted me...