Read any good books lately?

Comments

• Good first lines...

Yes, exploding Grandmother in Crow Road is a corker.

Also Moby Dick - "Call me Ishmael!" and The Towers of Trebizond - "Take my camel, dear", said my Aunt Dot, as she climbed down from this animal on her return from High Mass.

Both books went downhill from there for me, didn't like either of them.
  • I have bought The Shack...but I really don't want to read it...I gave ti to my daughter who liked it....I'm up late waiting for her to deliver soon.....*ho hum!* (she's 9 months pg and has told me she's having shocking pains)....we'll see.................. *paces*image
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    thought i'd boing in on this thread first of all - good luck gfb's daughter ! see you (gfb) in dublin!
  • JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

2nd of all i kinda read....a lot, so will take all sorts of recommendations (must read last 25 pgs!) just finished reading 19th Wife by,,,,,, sorry got it from the library, about polygamy and it's effects, great start but by 3 quarters of the way through i got v bored, could have ended sooner but interesting read.

Just taken out rebecca (D d maurier) seen the film about 10 times so felt i should read the book! Last night i dreamt i went to Manderlay again! hmmmm lovely!

I presume there are many recommendations here for Ken Follett and his pillars of the earth duo? Best books i've ever read (bar Jane Eyre - and old choice but bugger me it's good!)

• ...thanks JW...well nothing too dramatic happening here......I'm off to bed!!  we'll see...eh?
  • ...false alarm!  lol...
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

What about talking books?  I quite like the idea of someone reading to me as I drift off to sleep.  image

Any recommendations there?

I also have Jeremy Paxman's book on Royalty.  He's quite witty in places but again I find I'm skipping pages to get to the more juicy gossip.  His book entitled 'The English' was quite good though.

• Finished The Road yesterday - wow!

It's bleak and scary and it has a v. terse style, especially the dialogue, but it really is a beautiful, haunting book. It's also one of those rare books that makes you think about the world differently. I found myself thinking about the fragility of our society and how meaningless most of our possessions would be.

Highly recommended!

I'm going to try No Country for Old Men next as the film was fantastic. I'm interested to see if any of the weird bits in the film are due to the way the book was written.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I read the road after reading about it on here, it is pretty bleak isn't it?

No country for old men is pretty good, a great thriller.  

Currently reading the Iron Rose by Peter Temple, with the new John le carre next.

• Yep, it's definitely bleak image

I would never have tried this book if it wasn't for this thread, it's been great at getting me to try "new" authors who I would never normally read. Maybe I'll give John Le Carre a whirl one day!

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭

Oh dear! Just came back from my hols where I read a Chris Ryan, Stella Rivington, Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reich.

After seeing what you lot have been reading I feel like I've been watching CBeebies while you have all been watching BBC4!

• Just finished this
    The secret intensity of everyday life: William Nicholson

Excellent 

• Mak's friend - I read loads of crap as well as the odd clever book! I usually only recommend and talk about the clever ones because they're good and there's something to say about them, but crap is great! I just finished an Inspector Rebus, dunno even what it was called, but I enjoyed it!
  • nowt crap about the mighty rebus
  • Very true Pottingshed, and my heartfelt apologies to Messers Rebus, Rankin and Pottingshed for suggesting so.

I was clumsily trying to say it's a shame when we draw a line between the hard going, clever stuff and popular fiction. Some stuff is just SO clever and I for one can't handle it - James Joyce "Ulysses" is one for me. I've got more chance of a sub three marathon than finishing that book. BUT everything else is books, and books is good!
  • Have just started The Virgin Queen by Philippa Gregory, my first historical novel; in a long long time, its excellent.
  • Tracey I agree with you about drawing the line between hard core clever stuff and popular fiction.

You read what fits the need at the present time, there shouldn't be snobbery about books, though I do giggle at some of the Mills and Boon titles. (I work in a library ) 

• I find that there is some great parenting advice in Calvin and Hobbes....image
  • just finished 'Therese Raquin' by Zola but I have to say it became a bit of a forced read after a while.

Now reading a very entertaining biog I found in a library clearance sale of Thomas Paine by Craig Nelson (for those not in the know, Paine wrote 'The Rights of Man' and expressed fundamental ideas on democracy etc that were behind the American Revolution).

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst; every other species of tyranny is limited to the world we live in; but this attempts to stride beyond the grave, and seeks to pursue us into eternity."

Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)

• beebs - I love Philippa Gregory novels image
  • I've just started Shantaram.  At over 900 pages, I could be a while.
  • At the moment I am reading the Rough Guide to Andalucia.

I recently came across a very handy book called Who else writes like...? by Roy & Jeanne Huse.
    It's an alphabetical listing of authors which tells you who else writes like them, as well as other names they write under. Useful if your favourite author dies, or doesn't publish books very often!

• Just started reading The Shack by WM Paul Young. Well weird but so far so good image
  • I really didn't like it, Squishy...struggled to about the halfway point but just decided life's too short to read something I don't enjoy image
  • ST - I'm just under halfway through. As it's only a short book I'll persevere. You're right though, I've given up books that I've hated, because there are just so many more that I want to read.
  • I just read Mansfield Park - the first third was quite good but then it dragged on for the rest and didn't really go anywhere until the last couple of chapters!
    I also like Phillippa Gregory - think I have read most of them - nice to get a bit of history in even if it is fictionalised (if that's a word!).
    I also love Rebus - great books!

• For those that loved The Time Traveler's Wife, whatever you do, DO NOT SEE THE FILM!!! It is utter rubbish. I wish I hadn't watched it.
  • The Bastard of Istanbul by Elif Shafak Really enjoyed it but a sad story. Not sure why I picked it up in the Library  but it has lots and lots about food - in fact each chapter title is a food relevant to the story contained within it.

Just Finished White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - last years booker prize winner. pretty gritty but a good read.

Have just started The Partisans Daughter by Louis de Bernieres. He was an obsession for a while but I didn't even know this existed. I loved his Senor Vivo, Don Emmanuel & Cardinal guzman series - as well as the obvious....

• I'm a real bookworm, I read just about anything, but am currently working my way through Lyndsey Davis's Marcus Didius Falco sleuth mysteries set in ancient Rome, entertaining and educational at the same time as she bases a lot of the background on actual historical fact. Also have found two more books in the Dragons of Pern series which I mistakenly thought had finished some years ago but is now being carried on by Anne McCAffrey's son Todd.  A very creditable job he's done too - I've got Dragonsblood and Dragonsheart from the library, halfway through the first and thoroughly enjoying it. Pleased to find out that there's actually 19 books in the series and I've only read 13 - bliss! Anyone who enjoys sci-fi and imaginative fiction should give these a go, a creation of a whole world with people and dragons, minimal technology , and a structure of society that's a triumph of invention.
  • My neighbour is also into imaginative fiction and has given me a list of books to try, the Sons of Destiny series by Jean Johnson.