Watford 10K

Ran it last year - super scenery but I recall lots of pushing and shoving at the start as the path is not geared up for lots of runners in one go. My heels were clipped a few times by runners that were too eager...............

I also recall a tussle over T shirts as those of us bringing up the rear missed out!! Hope there are enough for all - 60 mins for a 10k is not too bad and still deserves a T shirt!!??!!

See you there.

Comments

• I've done this one a few times and have entered again.  Its a nice course.  Has a cross country feel to it.   I remember a bit of rumble regarding the t-shirts last year.   Thats bad for those who don't get one.   Hopefully the organisers have ordered enough for all participants regardless of their finishing times.
  • OK I'm in for this one again, this is my PB course and town of birth so i'm gonna go sub 45 (if i dont still have the effects of FLM in the legs!)
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

If I can EOD I'll probably do this........

Chilli - I've also got to see if I survive 13th April!!

• Good luck to those running FLM - I have entered twice and been turned down so will try again as soon as they open up 2009.

H

• Hello Mitts, thought you might be around.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭

I've done the half several times but never the 10k.  It's described as 'challenging' - would anyone like to expand on exactly how challenging it is.  image

• Hi Sezz, i have done this previously, it is more a variety of surfaces and some realy pretty bits thru woods, i find it quick it is a litle congested to start. I will be my first orgamised race after the FLM.
  • Hi all, just some clarification needed.

Saw this and thought it could be a good run to fit in while visiting family on the bank holiday, also saw that it had 1k kids run, again great news.

However, it seems on the entry page that it is £6.50 for the kids 1k run, surely that cannot be correct!

I assume that this is a mistake and look forward to hearing the correct entry for;

• a 1k race
    • a race to encourage children to participate in our great sport

Sorry if I didn't understand the entry and look forward to a reply.

Thanks

Nige

• Sorry, a re-direction of my rant...

Just read the organisors site and good discription of what is offered for the £5.00 entry fee including t-shirt medal etc.. great news.

Runners World, why didn't you add this to the description? And why are you also charging such a large amount for on-line payment?

Thanks again

Nige

• Sezz, it's not too tough.  It's obviously an MT course, so not a PB course unless you've not done a fast course or have just upped your fitness level dramatically; it's just a bit up and down and not always the best surface.  Worth doing for the bluebell carpet in the woods, if it hangs around long enough (it's out already).
  • I've done this on a few times.  Ran London on Sunday, and this is also on my radar.  I love this race as the course offers something different to road racing.  One year the rain gods were out in full force and everyone was left soaked. 
  • Hey Sezz.. its certainly not a walk in the park but its not that bad. I'd never run any races before last year and this was my first...55 minutes - not too bad for a MV50 novice! It was hot for a couple of weeks before the race last week and it pee'd down the night before so it was cooler and a few big puddles (ankle depth) - actually quite refreshing in a funny way! Some of the paths are a bit of a squeeze till the field thins out a bit and the bit I found tough was the hill a little bit after the water at 5- 6k. Because the route winds up and down and in and out of the woods you can never tell whats round the corner but most of the hills are not that long. Lots of Marshalls telling where to avoid sticky out branches and tree roots etc, generally well organised I thought. just make sure you head off towards the start in good time.

I was done in at the end.. but its not really surprising for me, is it!

If you don't mind a bit of mud and a few hills you'll love it.

• Oh yes i remember that big deep puddle too (more of a shallow pond realy), makes a nice change a bit of multi terrain, particularly a water splash. Still got last years T shirt, though i wish they would make them the of new materials rather than cotton, the FLM goody bag T shirt is realy good, they should all be that good, organisers of races take note.

• Yeah, you are right Chilli, it was a small pond! image

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm in again for this year. Maybe I'll get the T shirt too this time! (I did get an orange last year.. which as I recall I thought was the best orange I'd ever had)

• I'm in! See you there!

I ran quite a poor Watford Half a couple of years ago so I am going back to (somewhat) exorcise the demons!

• Anyone got their race number yet? I paid online with RW over a week ago and still nothing in the post....
  • My Race Number was issued last Friday 25.4.08 but I entered some time ago as I ran last year and was on a mailing list.

I ran the Bracknell 1/2 in sun and 2 cracking thunderstorms yesterday so I am looking forward to Monday - hope the muddy pond is not too deep................

Is anyone else still waiting for their numbers??

• Got my number (452 if anyone wants to say hi) a few days ago. Hope the bluebells hang on this year - last year the hot April put paid to most of them by May bank hol. And it wasn't so much a pond, more a lake, if I remember. I also remember the problem at the start - there was a hairpin bend after a few dozen yards which I'm sure could be avoided.  And I was too slow for t-shirt last year but too fast for the Hertfordshire Constabulary who, on my way there, gave me 3 points in exchange for £60. This all sounds very whingey - I don't mean it to - I enjoyed it last year, it's for charity and I'm coming back for more.
  • I ran the Bracknell Half at the weekend too.  Ended up soaked.  Looking forward to the shorter distance this week. 
  • Watford's riddled with speed cameras, watch out!!!
  • Watford's just riddled and you won't catch me frequenting there... but then again I am a Luton Supporter image Not a bad race this. I usualyl do the Silvertone 10km the following evening though so haven't done this for a few years, plus my left calf is knackered at the moment 
  • Being a Luton supporter you've suffered enough then Brooksimage
  • Re race numbers..I had a very nice email back from the organisers yesterday...

"The first batch of race numbers went out a week ago but your entry just missed the cut off for the first batch. Your race pack was packaged this evening and will be sent tomorrow on a 2 day delivery post. You should receive it on Thursday."

...so...panic not....look out for the numbers onThur!

Plenty of rain again today so the puddle / pond / lake / small ocean should be full by now! - mmmmm!

• I hope the puddle / pond / lake / small ocean will not disappoint us!!
  • I'm in again this year.

Last year I still had FLM07 in my legs, this year it is all about the 10Ks so I'm really looking forward to this one, although I have just found out I will be out partying the night before in Brighton (do I drink or not?!)

I remember the puddle last year, I was very girly and tip toed though it! I really hate wet socks, I should man up!

i hope I get to see the bluebells, everyone talks about them but I haven't been luky enough to see them.

Heres hoping the weather brightens up! Good Luck

•  Good to see that a few people are concerned about the speed cameras, but surely you won't be running that fast!  Always leave in plenty of time for your races and then you won't need to speed.

Great to get clarification that my number is on the way as have not got it yet.  Hoping to go for a good time for me of about 47 mins and then push on in a couple of weeks to a quite flat race at Sudbury Court (18/05/08), where I reckon PB's can be achieved.

Anyone doing that race?

• Number arrived today (692) as predicted by the organisers... so it looks as if they are all on the way now.

I think there was just the one day of rain last year just before the race... this year there has been loads of rain so Paula... I don't think tip toeing through is gonna be an option!! image

Also on the horizon is my local race (literally 3 minutes walk from my front door) in Wheathampstead on the 18th... now that will be muddy! Completely off road. Not a huge event but a great atomosphere!

see.. http://www.wheathampstead.net/10K2K/index.htm

or enter online with RW..

Graham

• Hi All

Had a little jog around the route and...........

Just to dissapoint those looking forward to a little splash in the "puddle" someon has very inconsiderately dug drainage channels into the nearside bank..... no water this year, well not on the road anyway who can say bout from above image

Good luck everyone

Robin