Nike+ Sportband

Comments

• HI I'm wondering how  the sportsband calculates your distance travelled? Also how do you calibrate it? Is it by putting the length of your stride in...

• Hi, I've just got back into running and bought one of these gadgets from Ebay. It was a bit of an impulse buy, and therefore I didn't realise that you needed a Nike+ shoe to fit the sensor in. However, judging by one of the posts here, it appears that this isn't essential after all. Can anyone confirm that it will work on regular running shoes and if so where should it be fitted?
  • I have one without Nike shoes I bought a shoe pouch for it from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Pouch-Red-Nike+iPod-Sensor/dp/B0015GCHOU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211017626&sr=8-8 although I think you can get cheaper. I find the Nike plus fairly accurate but not great and the pace I think is next to useless as I ran a steady 10min mile pace on a treadmill and my pace varied from 10.40min mile to 16min mile on my sensor!!! Did a recent timed 5k in 29mins and nike plus said pace was at 10.20min mile. Its ok for price though and to give a rough idea though

Bon

• I use these with any running shoe, details of how to fit on the site:

http://www.istrap.co.uk/

• I use this type, I find it holds the sensor very secure to make sure you get accurate readings, I have bought a second one recently as I now have the Nike+ Sportsband and a Nano which I use with two different pairs of trainers.

http://www.iskins.co.uk/shoe_pouch.htm

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Pouch-Nike%2BiPod-Sensor-Compatible/dp/B000PGQ1AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211057185&sr=8-1

N.B. Much cheaper postage on ebay.

I did a 10k race on Friday night and the distance came in as 5.5 miles. Anyone else have problems calibrating or maybe I'm not doing it right? How long do you walk for - a mile?

• Thanks for the replies. I'll go for one of the cheaper straps and see how I get on. Looks like there are some problems calibrating these gadgets so that they show accurate distances. I think I'm right in saying, though, that most pedometers aren't that accurate in this respect.
  • Just done a 6.75 mile run. Nike plus froze in middle and had to remove sensor to get my i-pod working again
  • This looks like a bargain for £40, reading the posts I guess it works better on road or treadmill where you can keep the same stride lenth.

Has anyone used them for tail running?
  • I have used my Sport Band for 4 weeks now and up until recently I was well impressed with it!  Having previously just run to keep fit I started taking a serious interest in what I was doing and have since managed to run 14 mile in just under 2 hrs ... motivated by recording my results! 

I have calibrated the pod and found it to be accurate off road on trails etc.  (Certainly within .5 mile over 10 mile). 

However ... it has suddenly stopped uploading data to my 'Nike + Profile' and hence I have lost a 5 km PB, - totally gutted!  I am now waiting for Nike to get in touch on what is wrong!

I will add to this thread when I get a result.

• Ok... a Nike + Pro from their forum has been in touch with the following ...

"I'm sure you burned far more than zero calories on your run! However, in order to receive a "calories burned" figure in Nike+, you need to enter your weight in the Nike+ Utility. To do so, dock your Link and, when the Utility applet appears, click on the information icon ("i") in the bottom right-hand corner of the applet. On the "user" tab, enter your weight. Once you've done so, you'll see how many calories you've burned going forward. Unfortunately, this information will not appear retroactively on your existing runs.

About your other issue . . . first of all, congratulations on your new personal best! I'm sorry that the Nike+ Utility didn't recognize this run when you docked your Link, but I suspect it will do so the next time you upload. Once in a while, the Utility will not recognize a new run, even when one is available. Usually, by recording and uploading a quick test workout, you can force the upload of a previous run. If you find that this situation occurs more than once or twice, though, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the Nike+ Utility. To do so, navigate to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and select "Nike+ Utility" from the list of programs. Once it has been removed, go to www.nikeplus.com/downloads and download and install the appropriate version of the Utility for your computer type. Usually, this will resolve any issues you're experiencing."

I cannot fault the quick responce which I will try out tomorrow.

• I've just bought one off ebay and also bought a 'runaway' pod which clips onto your laces and is plastic so is also waterproof. It cost £4 plus postage - much better than getting nike + shoesimage

They also have them listed on amazon as well as ebay.  Just need to go for run and test it fully - i cant wait!! 

• All working again now after the minor blip! image

• Some pretty good reviews, think I'm going to pick one up image
  • Lizzie MLizzie M ✭✭✭
    I want one how much are they ??
  • £39.99 is the going rate for the wrist band with a pod to stick into your trainers.  Top tip, log onto the Nike + website first, create your profile and look at the general set up for the softwear as they have a few good demos etc there.  At least then you can get a feel for the system and guage if it is for you. 
  • After watching me complete two 10k runs, my mummy being proud and all that bought me a pair of Nike+ trainers, sportsband and socks (because "you need proper socks"). You wouldn't think I am 30 would you?

I have been looking at the Nike+ stuff for a while, but was put off withit only beinf designed for the iPod Nano (I own the Classic), so when the sportsband came out, I came interested again. Seems my mum beat me to it.

I haven't actually used it yet (I know a week old and I still aint used it - what is wrong with me?). But I will be at the weekend as I am doing a 10k run on Sunday. So after the run on Sunday, I shall be able to give you my full opinion of the device. Although it is promising that it's getting a relatively good reviews

• After calibrating mine I've found it to be pretty accurate. A run, which I measured on Map MY Run, of 3.5 miles was registered as 3.6 miles on the Sportsband. Taking into account the inaccuracies of my map plotting, and I reckon that's more than acceptable.
  • I have been reading this with interest, I really fancy one.  I am only a novice, and not about to be setting any world records, but it would be nice to have a rough idea of my progress and indeed the mileage.  I am a bit useless at all things technical though, so can anyone tell me

1) Are they fairly easy to use?

2) Where is the best place to buy them from?

Thanks

• I am not competitive - I always came last in races and I always will.

But I am competitive with myself. I always want to run faster than I did last time, and that's the reason why I got it. To help keep track of my run times and speed etc

• Yes, I am the same as you Mike...Its just me and my watch!  Please let us know how you get on with it, as i might get one too.

Thanksimage

• Redpanda: I am a beginner too... I find it absolutely FAB for motivation! Knowing my fastest mile (7min12), fastest 5k (23:07) and fastest 10k(51:11) is just AWESOME!!

Also its a sinch to use... Its, essentially, a USB pen drive. You install the software, sign up to the nike site, run with the thing and plug in. VERY easy! And the tutorials on the site are very good!

Other plus's are challenges you can do and goals and training schedules too.

Buy from Nike. Overnight postage! Half hour charge and out for your fist run!

BTW: I dont have Nike+ trainers. I use my Asics and you can get a pouch (ebay!) that will attach the sensor to any trainers.

I highly recommend!

Regards,

Dan

• Okay, I used it for my first run today, and numpty head here forgot to turn it off (I forgot to keep hold for 3 seconds).

I also got confuddled (it doesn't take much) with the distance. I am used to running in km, but it's in miles. Does anyone know if you can you change this?

Apart from that though, I thought it was really good.

• Mike, when you connect the stick to your PC a window opens ... click on the 'i' in the bottom right corner of that winder and then you have options to calibrate the sportband and also set your measurements / weight etc.

• Cheers NorthernBloke - All sorted now.
  • Help!! I bought mine at the weekend for some motivation but cannot get it to upload the runs. I have tried to uninstall as previously suggested but am getting quite frustrated with it all now....any ideas?
  • wobbler wrote (see)
    Help!! I bought mine at the weekend for some motivation but cannot get it to upload the runs. I have tried to uninstall as previously suggested but am getting quite frustrated with it all now....any ideas?
    If you follow the quick start guide here then it should upload them automatically. If you've installed the nike utility, try uninstalling it and following the proceedure from the start again. Make should the sportsband isn't plugged in when you install the program. 
  • ps, does your computer detect other usb devices ok? e.g such as memory sticks, cameras or mp3 players
  • imageThanks for answering Craig and for the link, will give it go later. My computer does accept memory sticks, that why I couldn't understand what was happening!

Will read, digest and take it slowly!  When I read the tutorials on the site it looked idiot proof.....but there's always one and it looks like I am here!

• I have recently bought the sensor for my ipod but i dont have the shoes for it A few people have said that you can buy something that clips to your laces and saves you buying nike+ shoes Can anyone tell me what they are called and where you can get them And any other useful information about them