Beaverbrooks Blackpool 10k Fun Run

toying with the idea of this run but cant find out much about it has any one done this ? is it any good ?looking for a fast course to beat my pb

Comments

• I love this run and do it every year.  Excellent chance of a PB but make sure you start near the front.  It has a brilliant atmosphere. It's a very flat out and back course from the Hilton hotel, down past the pleasure beach and back up again.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    It's dead flat and it's my PB course. I think there is only one turn in it. I ran the first ever one when I used to live in the area. But only start near the front if that is where you should genuinely be as it causes problems for other runners.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

SECOND TIME I WILL BE DOING THE RACE THIS YEAR  AND ALL SERIOUS RUNNERS START NEAR THE FRONT  IF YOU DO NOT YOU WILL GET CAUGHT BEHIND THE SLOW RUNNERS  THATS IF YOU WANT PB . I HAVE DONE EVERY RACE IN BLACKPOOL INCULDING THE MARATHON 3 TIMES WHICH WAS TOUGH   BUT THIS IS FUN I HOPE TO GET UNDER 38 MINS

• As the course starts on the road by the Hilton Hotel and finishes on part of the prom that is lower, the gradient of the whole course is negative. I don't believe there is any uphill parts, unless you count the new speed tables between central and south piers. Great for a PB IMO.
  • Yes this is flat and I cant wait. Its not going to bother me if it rains and blows a gale.  It will be flat and fast!  That dont mean i will be fast! Far from it! Im just glad we dont have any hills. This is a fun race (If your not at the front) so enjoy and i hope you all have a good run! 
  • Mr Bleen and I will be there! We have booked into the Hilton for the night as a special treat, too. Is the run mostly on the road or are there sandy/track parts, does anyone know? We do most of our running off road. Do you think this will cause us problems?

• The entire route is on the road/hard roadlike surface. The only sand you're likely to come across is the any that has been blown onto the course. Which in Blackpool is quite likely but it'll only linger at the curbside.

As for problems going from off-road to road running, if road running doesn't agree with you, you'll just run slower. But you'll still have a great time and more of it to enjoy the event.

• Thanks, skovers! Much appreciated. It will be worth trying to fit in a couple of road runs before the event, then, which we will do.
  • Hi everyone,

Its my first time doing the 10k Blackpool run so i am abit unsure how this all works. Should i get anything in the post like - directings, running number etc?  I not will numbers and that be sorted on the day?  How long before the race do you suggest getting there?

Thanks  

•  Hilary

When you filled in the form, there was a slip at the bottom you had to put a stamp on, this is used to send you your number, which usually arrives about a week or so after you sent it. If you entered on line I presume you collect your number from the Hilton Hotel, this is where the registration desk will be, down in the gym area.

As for when to arrive, most people arrive about an hour before to get parked, warmed up and last minute ablutions. Race starts at exactly 11 but you usually start lineing up, up to 10 mins before the race starts.

Hope this helps.

• Hi  - I wonder if it would be worth checking.  I filled in the form online and got my number a few days later.

This is a nice one as your first - it was my first a few years ago and it's always my favourite. 

• Weird coincedence we recieved our numbers through today, finally.

Thanks for your help and advise. 

• I will be there also and not done it for a few days - looking forweard to it  - however a friend has aked me - if you can enter on day - anyone know
  • Yes you can enter on the day at the registration desk at the Hilton Hotel. But I'd get there early as it gets busy.

• HI,I have just recovered from a torn calf muscle, I completed a 5 mile race yesterday and now know I am able to complete a 10K course.  I hadn't registered in advance due to this, is there still plenty of places left , safe in the knowledge I can travel on the day and still get in?
  • Hi Mike. I entered online through this website on Sunday, entry was accepted although I do not yet know if I collect my number on the day or if it will be sent through the post, whichever it is, it will be better than registering on the day
  • Hi, I'm entered in this and looking forward to it.  Hope to beat my PB.  However not sure where to start. 

The info that came with my number says there's a special section for "serious" runners under 40 mins.  I'm a "serious" runner and will run like mad all the way, but my PB is only 57:30 (which I hope to beat) so a bit slow but still don't want to get held up with fun runners / walkers.  Any tips / suggestions from people who've done this before?  I was thinking of starting somewhere just behind the under 40 minute-ers.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

• I run about a 50 min 10k so I'm like you don't fall into the fast lot. Last year they had 3 groups fast at the front, then a man with a sign for fun runners at the back, so i lined up between the 2 and still got caught up with the people who ran 200m then started to walk. It was my only gripe last year on a very good event. So I like you will be lining up just behind the serious runners.

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I've done this run a few times and finished in times ranging from 46 to 50 minutes. I've got caught up with walkers and fancy dressers every time, no matter where I've started and to be honest it is a bit annoying. There are generally several thousand runners but the field spreads out a bit after the first couple of kilometres so you should be able to get into your stride then. Don't forget though that it is classed as a fun run so might not be accurately measured as I don't think it has a UKA permit.
  • Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like the best place for me is just behind the speedy ones!
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

Is anyone doing this that was there 2 weeks ago at the half/full mararthon. I think there will be a lot more runners in this as it is a fun run   but i will have the t-shirt on i got at the last race and i am runner 31                    

so good luck to everyone

• Hi,

Does anyone know what time entry on the day closes?

Cheers

• This will be my first 10k, my pb time is 55.07, so i will probably be overtaken by monkeys, kebabs and the like....aslong as me and mine have a good day out im not too fussed about beating my pb,  have fun everyone running.
  • Dont forget the sotos 10k on the 29th june in fleetwood lanc,presented by wesham roadrunners

• Thats the day after my birthday, not sure if it would be wise to try running that day, lol.
  • I will be there tomorrow this is my 9th time now and enjoyed everyone the is allways really good. It is going to be really hot tomorrow so we will get a great tan, see you all there and have good run.
  • Was very hot and did it in 59.46, was overtaken by a penguin.

But considering the weather im happy enough with that.

be doing it again next year!! 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Yes it was very hot  I finished in 40.01  but I did the 2005 mararthon and it was even hotter then
  • It was a scorcher today very tough 5 mins down on last time - don't think the heat helped - plus still suffering from London marathon. (i hope thats the excuse I can use)

didn't enjoy the que at the end for the water

now 2005 - that was hot - I did the half - couln't have imagined what the marathon was like 

• It was very hot but a great day did it in 44.12 not bad got held up at the water stations but just so much fun.