Options

WELSH RUNNERS!!!

Comments

• Options
    I shall indeedy.  It's all about getting a job now so as soon as that happens, I shall duly grace you with my presence and cook a famous PO roast dinner  image
  • Options

Looking forward to that. image

Any interesting South African dishes you can introduce me to? image

• Options

Plenty actually - I can bring along my brothers recipe book of "South African Dishes"

I can also introduce to you a REAL braai (aka BBQ) but that obviously entails cooking outside in the middle of winter.  I'm South African so we do that all the time (we are pretty sad like that) - so could bundle up and keep me company in the cold  

I can also introduce you to some South African booze  image

• Options
    hello - I am learning to smile while attempting to run up the hills - it nice living in a valley even if its an urban one - you might be breathless by the top but the views form only 10 mins away are ace - when I can get all the way to teh top I will go for wilder terrain
  • Options
    PO I did ice it immediately with a nice cold Magners over ice in the very homely Sun Burnt Armsimage
  • Options

Lindos in October is lovely, isn't it BRT, there's something about the Greek islands in October image

TT, you know anyone with your surname called Darren? 

• Options

Tis indeed PM come late Sept / early Oct most people there don't have screaming little banshees in tow & the temperature is low enough for you actually lie by a pool & get a tan.

Imminently booking something in Vilcha bay again  for next year :0

• Options
    < shakes thread >
  • Options

Hi all, not been on this thread for a while now. Who is running Cardiff on Sunday? I am and Im trying to dodge all the colds etc going round at work!! Nightmare!!!

• Options

I was but not now, pulled a claf last Monday image

What time are you hoping for? 

• Options
    Only 20 minutes left ............................. come on boys,
  • Options

I certainly now NOT, I am under trained due to my ankle & also the effects of two long weeks lead by a pool.

I have also got a cold this week which is playing havoc with my Asthma.

Felt even worse when my race pack landed on my door mat on Tuesday.image

But good luck to all of you that are running !!

• Options
    PM Im hoping for less than 2hrs 10. Sorry to here from both you and BRT that your not able to go. Im getting close to pulling out as I have had to work 9 days in a row just to ahve the weekend off, Im exhausted. But will be there unless one of these buggers I work with pass their germs on!
  • Options

Good luck Matt and anyone else doing the Cardiff Half 'multi terrain' race. I'mooking forward to it (especially the grasscrete and other off-road sections...) and am in perfect shape for yet another PW. 

A repeat of my last Sunday's Gwent League XC  'race of shame' could be on the cards 

Horses have been shot for less... 

imageimage

PS  One date for the 2009 Welsh Club runners diary - 13th/14th June (Welsh Castles Relay)

PPS  On the subject of pain/glory, great to see the Talybont Sleepwalker Marathon is back on (29th November) !

• Options
    Thats the way oft look on the positive side lol, Come on bet ya quicker than me! image
  • Options

I think he slapped you across the chops with his gloves oft image ..................... game on?

Sorry to hear that BRT 

• Options

...at least I've still got me own teeth PM !!!

Keeping the negative theme going, was told last night by someone (who should know..) that the course has been remeasured and a few more changes made. Looks like all that OMM/navigation training may come in handy after all !

Have a good one Matt - GWS BRT

T..

• Options
    Are you doing the OMM OFT?
  • Options

Hi Hanneke - no entry this year am afraid (did in 2006 and 2007)...

There was a good reason for this at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was (injury, inability,  being even more rubbish at MMs than I am at road running or something ?).  As a result I'm not doing and sulking.   Also feel sorry for the kit which will be sitting in a nice dry loft next weekend, rather than getting the bashing it deserves...

Teasingly, entries are still being taken for the Long Score.  Was discussing last night with a fellow forumite, over a beer (which is always dangerous..).  Getting the hip/knees even more trashed by the Cardiff Half should bring me back to reality !!

Have a great time - which class are you going for ??

• Options

Medium score... It is going to be  my first, I am joining a friend who wanted to do it. Think I would have gone for the A or B class myself... but hey, it will be a great expereince and see what I can find partner wise for next year image My friend is quite a bit slower than me and not competitive...

You can still do it though, also have a look at the forum, both OMM and FRA, as there are always people asking for last minute replacements when partners get injured and the like?

• Options
    He is actually shitting himself, as he fears he'll be dragged around at high speed by me image But I ain't all THAT fast image
  • Options

Good luck Hanneke !  You'll both have a great time. Nothing compares.. 

We did Long Score last year and Medium S in 2006 ; and got well and truly trashed both times.  Being injured did'nt help (both of us, both times..).  This was'nt the problem though - score events being 60% mental was the main problem (all that decison taking, route planning, navigation - my brain could'nt cope..), 20% physical (opportunities for running were few and far between - when we did run it was very much of the headless chicken variety !) and or course 10% bog snorkelling...

Having vowed not to even think about a last minute entry, goes without saying we are now in (!) c/o a quick phone call today. C Class , Long or Elite were the options - being crocked and not fit, and a chicken (headless..) we've gone for C

Which just leaves the minor issue of the Cardiff Half in 12 hours time. Sorry joints..

• Options
    Ohhhhhh great stuff OFT image hmmmm, so maybe we get to meet at Borrowdale and beyond! How would I recognise you?
  • Options

I'll be the good looking one Hanneke (Mrs OFT laughs..). 

Easily spotted what with my limp, Innov8 mountain slippers (see photo top  right) and generally looking terrified and worried whilst in the presence of real 'Mountain Men' and Mountain Women. 

I empathise with your partner - please be kind !!  I'm running with a person who eats sphagnum, does 3000' hill reps and was raised by ferral mountain goats on the slopes of Crib Coch.   I learnt to run on a treadmill.  Just hope he can fit all my 'gear', spare clothes, books and stuff in his rucksac...

Seems like a fair few of us will be heading up from Wales to the Lakes District next week - met up with two other pairs yesterday within secs of hobbling round the fine Cardiff Half (which was also off road for much of the course !).   A week of rest, frozen peas and carbo loading now follows..

Thanks for prompting me to enter !!!

• Options
    What are you 2 up to then, it sounds a little out of the ordinary?
  • Options

Only the OMM PM, the Original Mounatin Marathon, formely known as KIMM...

Yes, there seem to be loads of people from South Wales travelling up for it, I am bagging a ride with a lad from our club and a lass from MDC, who are also doing it. Whoever I speak seems to be in it this year, funnily enough!

Well, I shall be looking equally scared OFT, as I am still easily intimidated by those mountain goat type wirey fell runners! It was intimidating at the start of Langdale... and it was even more intimidating last weekend, at the National Fell Relays! I feel like such a beginner and soft slowcoach!

I will be carrying the tent, my mate will carry the stove and cooking pots... faor deal, right? image Must source some food to carry with me for the Saturday night... some pasta and sauce???

• Options
    Oh and OFT, my mate and I will be wearing fetcheveryone tops, if they will be visible underneath our waterproofs, we shall be easy to spot... his is the black and red variety, mine is red, with fluo yellow sleeves and white stripes along the side...
  • Options

You see, you say only the OMM and then mention, cooking pots, tents and Saturday night? 

Is it through the night, do you have to run with a buddy and carry camping equipment with you?

You make it sound so much more than "only the OMM" 

• Options
    Yes, PM, we will be camping 'wild' overnight, somewhere in the middle of nowhere and have to carry our food, cooking utensils, stove and tent with us on our backs, as well as warm clothes and waterproof stuff and emergency rations and some water...