Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• yeh.. come on all you Paris virgins or marathon virgins...  this is a fabulous race..  loads of advice and experience...

Come and join us..   image

• I really fancy trying a marathon, though I only took up running 4 months ago, I am getting a bit better, and am doing my first half at the end of September. I really don't know if I would cope with 26 miles though, it would take me all day! Or could I ????...
  • Redpanda

I took up running last October and Paris 08. Do IT its the best feeling of achievement in the world.
  • Hi Jay. I can imagine it is a feeling like no other, and such a fantastic achievement. Its something I have always wanted to do, just the once to say I have done it...I doubt I would want to do it regularly though! The only thing that is putting me off a bit is the level of training required...I imagine it is pretty hard core? I train 4 times a week at the minute, averaging about 20-24 ish miles per week (builidng up to more though). How does this compare to marathon training?
    I would not be looking for a fantastic time, just to get round alive!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Redpanda, there are plenty of training schedules for 4 times a week, You'll make it and you'll have a great time. Once you put your mind to it, your body will fall into line...You can definitely do this. image

• Oh wow, that video made me really want to do it!!

How do you go about entering, do you just do it online nearer the time? It looks fantastic, I love Paris anyway, I will probably go for a week and make a holiday of it.
  • It is done online...  first come, first served..  just fill in the details, pay with plastic and you're in..   you need to send in a medical certificate...  this is a farce really..  some doctors charge for them, some don't.  The wording is actually on the web site and your doctor just needs to sign it.  Many people forge them and there is the legend of the guy who turned up at the expo with a double-glazing sale bumf letter and they didn't event look at it but still gave him his number.

It always sells out and this year will be quicker than previous as the FLM ballot results will be out earlier.  Thus, those of us who really want to do it book out place immediately.   

Entry opens on 15th Sept for a race date of 5th April 2009

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

'Knew you'd like it, Redpanda. So,next... You enter, you train, you run 26+ miles and we all go to the pub. image 

I'm doing the Glasgow Half in September. Where's your race?

Really, DV? 'Must make sure I'm welded to the pc on the 15th. I really, really want to do it.

• You enter, you train, you run 26+ miles and we all go to the pub. image
    See... It's as easy as that.

this will be my third Paris marathon, I've entered for London and will do the 2 if I get in, Tutu's inspired me image

Late September there's the folkestone half marathon, I've done it every year and it's definitely PB potential HERE
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Ok, this is the thread from now on is it.

I hope to be back, will do my 5th Paris Marathon on 2009, have managed to build my long run up to 8 miles again, toes holding out so far, but am only running 3 times a week. I am cycling 70+ miles a week and one day of swimming lessons too, so keeping myself in shape hoping to be able to run the Hastings marathon in december.
  • I like the sound of going to the pub! I doubt we would be able to afford to get too drunk in Paris though LOL. I will definately give it a go. Thanks for your help.
    My half marathon is in Macclesfield at the end of September, a bit nervous of that, so i dread to think how I would feel before a full one.
    Is the weather normally pretty ok?
  • PS...have just looked on the website, and am confused (it does not take much, lol!), and it say's something about collecting bibs in advance? The dates it said to collect are actually after the event? Have I misread something? Also, how much is the entry fee approx?
    Thanks
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Redpanda, you have to go and collect your bib* number* on the Thursday, Friday or Saturday before the race.They don't send them by post : you pick them up at the Expo. Last year, the Entry Fee was 53E...if you registered early.  *If you look here , you'll find lots of info about this year's arrangements.But they'll be much the same, next year. You can also look at the googlearth 3-D map of the course etc via that page* I expect the details will be updated before September.

So, you enter online and pay by card and, then, send your Medical Certificate by post. * Or, if you have nerves of steel, produce it at the Expo'. Personally, I felt happier lodging it asap and knowing they had it...* As someone else mentioned, some GPs charge for certifying you as fit to run; others don't. Either way, you have to have a Medical Certificate to run in France. The required wording is also in the Regulations.

The weather, this year, was perfect....not too hot...Last year, it was boiling. We were all glad to be sprayed by the Fire Brigade. How will you feel? Dead excited!

Good luck with the training for your Half.

• Thanks for the info ATM....you sound well aquainted with it all.
    One more thing...I know this might be a bit of a contentious issue with some, but in your experience do they allow you to run with music?
    I am not sure I could sustain 4 or 5 hours of running (or plodding) without some tunes...even with the crowd support!

Thank you
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I enjoy poring over the race details cos I can't run for toffee..image 

The same debate about music rages in France as it does here. As far as I'm aware, mp3 players  have not been banned. I've run the MdeP twice and have taken my ipod. Like you, I couldn't face the idea of all those hours without music.I find it so helpful. I was, therefore, surprised to discover how little I needed it/used it. Honestly, I found myself much more interested in what was going on around me.  *I'm not quite really to abandon it yet, though.. * In due course, our naff playlists will be revealed. Some big S Club Seven fans, here image Tragedy!

• I've used my iPod in the last two Paris maras with no problems...

The weather is hugely variable..  this year was perfect, while the south of England had snow.  Last year was 32 degrees, or something like that...  I remember a few years ago I ran in thermal leggings, hat and gloves as it was so cold..!     So.. its very unpredictable.

For expo, I always go late in the day and then there are rarely any crowds or queing.

• Hi ATM!

I quite agree with you, the music is like a security blanket, I could not face the thought of running all that way without it, even if I turn it off on occasion. on the one hand its nice to soak up the atmosphere, but at times that amound of running is bound to get tedious (well to me anyway), and especially if I am "on my own", I will need something to sustain me!
    Altogether now..."Reach for the stars..."!!

Cheers
  • I did Paris this year, as my first (and last) Marathon. I realy enjoyed it, the crowd supprt was generally very good and the route is right through the heart of Paris.

The only negative point I would say, is that once you get beyone about 34kms, you go out towards the Bois de Boulogne (sp) and the crowd support disappears....right when you really need it!

TW

• Hi TW

By that point I will probably be in a world of my own (and extreme pain anyway!), doubt I would even notice LOL!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I think that's a fair point TW..It does get a bit lonely. There are far fewer spectators between 34 and 41 kms, Redpanda ,but various local marathon committees offering sausages/wine/cheese etc...* ..with plenty of takers, bizarrely...* And then, suddenly...although mabe 'suddenly' is not the word  after 26 miles...you're back into a crowd with a really nice home straight...for your 'Chariots of Fire' sprint to the Finish. image

Surely not your last, TW?

• Yes, cracked 3.30 (by 27 secs)..so can tick that box and walk away with a smile on my face.

I had heard about the wine/cheese/sausage thing in the park..but I completely missed all of it..but by then I was in my own world of pain.

TW

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

No wonder we didn't meet, TW. I was sooooo far from the Finish at 3.30.....image In 2007, I completely missed the Eiffel Tower. Saw it this year, though. I must be improving...

• Ha ha, thats hilarious, wine and cheese? Never heard anything like that in all my life!! Still, probably quite welcome by that time I should think!
  • I had the wine, last year and the year before, only because the old chaps looked so happy and were so encouraging, My name's Jeff and I'm an alcoholic image

• I think there were at least two wine stalls handing it out.. the Marathon du Medoc has had a stall at about Mile 21 for the last few years at least and the last two years I have noticed the Marathon du Beaujolais (sp?) within a mile or so of that.  They hand it out in little plastic beakers and you can have what you want.  Also.. cheese, bisuits and sweets.   I've never had the wine, but always take a handful of sweets... the sugar is very welcome by that stage.

*hic*

• I got caught out with the wine, thought it was juice.  Spat it out not what I wanted espically as I don't drink.  It was at the corner near the race course.

• Hellooooo all

DV - have been horribly behind with all the IM stuff. Wow - just read it. Are you still feeling imageimageimageimageimage?  Really well done.  I can't believe you couldn't swim this time last year.  That's amazing.    But I don't believe your 'not training' enough thing.  I bet that, compared to what we do for marathons you did LOADS of training.  Do you mean that compared to other IM people you didn't train much?  For eg, a 50M bike followed by 15M run.... you must be doing a fair amount for that to seem like a walk in the park!  How are your energy levels now?  Are you back to normal? Done any exercise or is that a million miles away from your mind at the mo???  How's your blister?  Shall I stop asking questions?

I must read a load of the other reports.  OMG I mustn't get pulled in, although I have to confess that I see the IM as the ultimate fitness goal.  Tutu - maybe in a couple of years?  Then the year after we can do the London to Brighton ultra as if it's a walk in the park! (yeah - right).

The pirates and their support crews sound aMAZing.

Chaps - am not sure I'm up for Paris next year. <Hen hides in case she's booted off thread.> With Florence at the end of November it might just be too soon for a little Hen like me.  I'd have to start training straight away and I think I might need a rest from a year of almost non-stop marathon training. May even do more tris or something.  But I'd also like to do things like the Midsummer Monroe and some silly off road stuff without it getting in the way of marathon training or something.  Will see. 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, Hen. * What??? No Paris??? Arghhh..It'll be a dawdle... I see exactly what you mean about the need for a rest. Tri-training would be the very thing...image . I still can't ' crawl' a length but am really enjoying the swimming/biking/running thing.I'm glad I'm comitted to running Paris for a charity to avoid doing something really daft...I'm completely bowled over by the Tri reports and have ruled nothing out. Yes, that daft . *

I blame Darth Vader.

Paris or no, you're not going to abandon the thread, surely! * I'm too old to multi-task efficiently so post some of your Florence progress reports, here, please...*

No exercise for me, today. Off to son's Graduation. 3 down, one to go...Dire warning to Barry McK: children are a luxury lifestyle image

How's the Half training going, Redpanda? I'm doing one in September, too, but real-life, including holidays soon, is kind of getting in the way...

• Hi ATM

Training going ok..ish. Trying to build my miles up slowly..but have a 10k on Sunday so not wanting to do too much this week. Feel incredibly nervous of 10k, I always panic about these things, daft really! I am not sure I will be able to do the Paris one after all (gutted).
    My friend who also wants to do it has commitments. It would not be a problem if you did not have to pick that damn bib up the day before. She would probably not be able to get there on time before they close, and I take it they wont post it? Otherwise she was planning on flying out on the Sat night, but it just does not look poss now, gutted.....Unless you know of anyway to get round this problem?
    We have decided to go for the Rome one now, but I am not sure it will be as good (much as I love Rome). Worried about hills too! Damn French bureacracy!
    I know what you mean about life getting in the way...everything in moderation I say!
    xx