Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think about doing Paris next year instead of London. Would love to do FLM again (I've run it once in '06 and been rejected in the ballot the last couple of years) The odds of getting a place for next year are looking pretty slim, so maybe I should enter Paris as early as possible, rather than waiting to hear about FLM. If I do get lucky and get a place in London I can defer it for 2010. I'd hate to wait to hear about London and miss the boat on Paris too. What other spring marathons do people recommend?
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Come to Paris, graham...Unless you make it to the final leg of the Tour de France, you're never going to have the Champs Elysees closed to traffic just for you. It's too good to miss... (Several people adopt your strategy of applying for FLM and postponing if successful...Others, run both  image  *Come on down, you lot ,and talk graham into that! * I've only run twice, both times in Paris, but I often pore over the description of Seville...)

I don't think they'd agree to post it ,Redpanda ,but your friend could write, now, and explain the problem * address on Mara homepage *. My friends were in the same position for the Semi...work commitments. I was allowed to collect their bibs on production of photocopies of their passports, copies of the medical certificates they'd already lodged and their letters of authorisation. I don't know if the same would apply to the marathon , itself but it would be worth asking. Good luck on Sunday. I know what you mean about panic...but you know you can do it. *And once you've done 5k , you might as well head for the Finish as go back to the Start. And 5k's not far...just 2.5 and the same again...and 2.5k's not far, at all. You'll do 10, no problem.*

• Thanks ATM

I will ask her to contact them and at least then we will know one way or another.
  • ATM - you won't get rid of me!  And I'd be delighted to bore you all with Florence image.

I have just spent far too long reading the IM Nice reports.  Oh god.......

Need to cut the grass before the rain really comes.

• Aaagggghhhh imageimage - just had a call from the guy servicing my bike... the fact that I can't get onto the small ring is because the chain set's b*ggered.  So:

New chain set + means new something else + new something else = £70 parts + £30 labour = £100.

Plus the service charge. NOT what I need right now. 

Hmm - probably won't be able to afford to do an IM at this rate.  Perhaps for my 50th birthday - got a couple of years to go so enough time for me to come to my senses.

Wonder what aged people do IMs up to...

• I wondered when the 09 thread would start.Count me in.I

've entered next years FLM but i get the feeling i'll be unsuccesful for some reason.The last time i looked there is 3 weeks between them both so it's possible to do both.A good idea 9 months before but maybe not closer.

Any way i'm off to Egypt in the morning to train in heat(or simply practice carb loading)delete as appropriate.

I'm still fancying doing a tri but cycling spoils my running at the mo.It just confuses the legs i think.If i learn to swim while i'm away and don't over indulge i'll try one.

So i rang the local swimming baths the other day to ask about lessons and said"hello is that the local swimming baths"

The voice replied "it depends where your ringing from"

I'll get my coat.

See you all in a couple of weeks.H

• Artful - There is a 70 year old in my running club who is trying to do IMUK , he has not yet completed as his swim is bad and keeps getting pulled up at either T1 or T2.

Back to topic I will probably be down for this as I was doing to do Berlin for charity but they no longer had places but suggested this as an alternative.Also I have all ready deferred FLM from earlier this year so it will be both or lose out on my place. 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hi, Joe. Welcome to the thread.

You'll be in good company with your Paris/London plan. Looks like J3ff and Howeyz are thinking of doing both too. I'm in the older-slower-but-saner-than-them corner. Who are you running for?

AH, I'm secretely glad that attempting an IM is hugely expensive.I love your fear of ' getting pulled in'....lol..vice/sleaze/drugs etc are resistible but extreme exercise remains an ever-present threat imageStay on your guard, girl!
  • Well, I even dreamt about IMs last night image.  I think the thing to do is settle for a half IM next year and start saving for an IM the following year.  I really think that after Florence and three maras this year I'll be all marathoned out for a while and will need another challenge to work on.  But it means I'll have to lots of half marathons with everyone training for FLM/Paris etc etc image.

So. Tonight the hunt for a nice half IM commences.  There are quite a few around these days.

• Actually.... cakes are another thing that are hard to resist...  They're a BIG problem.  I do all this bloody exercise and am always 'well insulated'. Not fair.   I obviously eat far too much. image Hey ho. image
  • Hmm, Joe - hope I manage it before I'm 70.  Sounds like your club mate has really steely resolve to keep going back.  I hope he makes it soon. He deserves to.
  • Hi All

I am running  for get kids going .

The irating thing for my club mate is that if he makes it to the run he will be home and dry as sub 5 is a walk in the park for him.

• Oh God... have wasted SO much time today researching/analysing half IMs to do next year.  But have ID'd a couple of potential races in June and a target time (sub 7 hours min, 6.45 - well pleased or 6.30 ecstatic.)  It's a long old time to keep going, isn't it? image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sounds great, AH. Where are they? Found any for next autumn? Have you done a Half IM before? It IS a long time but it would be fun/a challenge...You could do the Prague Half-mara in March ( one of the  ATM-lets would turn out and cheer you on )to keep you in the mood.

Joe, if you don't make a particular time in the swim/bike legs, do they pull you right out or simply stop timing you?

• There are cut off times , I think they are around 2 / 2:30 for the swim , 11/12 for finishing the bike and 17 for the whole thing . But I have never done one so not entirely sure.

• Hmm, Paris 09... May be tricky as will have a small baby to look after! image Travelling away might be difficult. But would heartily recommend Paris as a great experience, I had goosebumps quite a few times at the adrenalin of it all. Music is one of those marmite things - some swear by it, some hate it and are annoyed by others doing it. I didn't take my mp3 and found the atmosphere enjoyable without. You're on your own for several hours, that's true, but there's people cheering and about once a mile there's a band dressed as cavemen playing drums, or hunters playing horns, or off-key jazz bands, plus there's a tunnel where everyone shouts. I also found it easier without music to keep my sort of inner dialogue I have while I'm running going, just monitoring how I feel, my pace, am I thirsty, that sort of thing. For me, I found plenty to keep my mind occupied, but I can see that some people find it easier with upbeat music to keep you going, and keeps their focus away from any niggles...

I've entered FLM though...

Not sticking too rigidly to my schedule at the moment, been a bit hectic. I seem to be finding it hard to do longer runs in one chunk, without stopping. Did a fast 12 last night but did stop in the middle to get my breath back. Oh, and now have a new big toe nail, 3 months on from Paris!

• In some tris they'll let you carry on unofficially if you miss cut off times - particularly after the swim. But in others it's a big no no.

ATM - Prague - must go there.  We've employed most of the female population there as au pairs at some stage!  Am hoping daughter gets into the orchestra she's auditioning for as Prague is one of the places on the list of possible tour venues next summer.

No - longest tri I've done is an Olympic - Windsor and Seaford.  I think you're right  - half is a superb (enormous) challenge, but doable.  There's one near here in September.  But the other local one, in June, seems to be a goodie because it's relatively flat on the bike and a load of the run is on nice trails through the New Forest so lovely for knees.  Or less awful for knees.

Son is now powerwashing my bike.  He's too embarrassed to ride it  in its current muddy state.  I'm not complaining.

Barry - has Mrs McK got a bump yet?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Oh, it wouldbe heartbreaking to be pulled off the course after the swim....or the bike....* I can't believe I'm even thinking about this kind of thing when 25metres front crawl still eludes me...Nearly got there, this morning, though image *Prague is ...full of music. ATM-lette is ex-orch and goes to lots of concerts, there.I hope your chick gets in. It's a really lovely city.Watch Kolya and get in the mood...Just you wait for the mind-blowing adrenalin rush of a new baby, Barry.image It'll be great.All set for the weekend, Redpanda? It's lovely weather up here.Things look good for your 10k. Do you have a time in mind?
  • Hi ATM

I am a bit worried about Sunday, I always get worked up, stupid really. It is only my second 10k, I did the last one in 58 mins, so I would like to beat that, but I don't suppose it will be by a lot, if at all. I will be seriously miffed if I don't do it any faster!!

Weather would have been perfect for a run today, but its rain forecast for Sunday (what a shock in Manchester eh?!). I bit miffed about the early start of 9-30 as well argghhhhh!

Where do you live then ATM?
  • AH - yes, she has quite a bump now! image We know she's a girl (have I said that already? I think I did on the 08 thread...) and so far everything going very well!

Good luck for Sunday Redpanda! I'm one of those odd folk who quite likes running in the rain but I guess you must be used to a bit of rain in Manchester.

• I hate rain!! I am not from the North West orginally, and I have never really got used to it.
    Thanks though, I shall let you know how it goes at any rate.
    x
  • You'll be fine RP!  I always get reeeeally nervous before races (although not marathons, funnily enough) but they're OK once you get started. 
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

You'll be fine, Redpanda. Could be another PB. Have a good carbo-loaded dinner tonight and a nice rest tomorrow. You'll be raring to go by Sunday morning. Will you use your mp3 player? 'fess up...what's on the playlist?

* I'm from the West of Scotland. Rain? hehehe  We have 40 different words for it ( Eat your hearts out, Innuit)' Just as well I actually like it....*

I've spent a couple of days reading all the Nice reports. Amazing. Just amazing...

• Ah, bonnie Scotland, I have no right to moan about rain now I know that LOL! I can't help my nerves, I really wish I could, a bit of adrenaline is maybe good though eh?!

i certainly will have music, I need all the help I can get! I have loads of dance music on it, and funnily enough I have just given hubby the laborious task of uploading some more stuff onto it, uptempo rock sort of, you know, the Boss, a bit of U2, T Rex, the up tempo stuff! I got so fed up of listening to the same thing, I thought "I need a change"!

What do you guys listen to??
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Currently...Crashlanding( Clubland 7), Let's see how far we've come( Matchbox 20 ) Love kills( Freddie Mercury), Maria ( Blondee) Jump ( Pointer Sisters) Gwen Stefani ( Tick Tock)

Well, I need a relentless beat to keep me going and I like to sing along...Just as well I run in the middle of nowhere.

My name is ATM and I have no taste.

• "My name is ATM and I have no taste."

Wrong there I'm afraid - You like me therefore you have excellent taste image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

lol..

Erratum: My name is ATM and I have excellent taste in J3ffs. * This thread's got class, eh? *

• I ran this years Paris mara listening to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (Genesis) and then a selection of stuff from Pink Floyd, Kasabian, Keane, The Jam, Blondie and assorted others.....

• I just wondered....Do you have enough battery power to run a marathon with an MP3 player or similar? I am not sure how long the charge lasts, but I would not like to say if mine would still be working by the time I got round!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

ipod nano and shuffle last more than 4 hours...image

I finished 2007 to Edith Piaf singing La Marseillaise * I'll get me coat...*