Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

TD- Morning stiffness is good , though perhaps if it is at the wrong end of the lower limb, it is not so good image

Make sure you are not pushing off your calf muscles too much. ON sand there is not so much resistance/friction as the ground gives way under you . You will probably have to take shorter steps on sand methinks. If it is on grass , it shouldnt make too much difference. Perhaps it is just showing up technique that needs to be tweaked , and which is usually camoflaged by runners image.

Downloaded the map of helsinki course. 7 Bridges image How did I not figure that out before now. GOing to have to google earth them and see what they are like. !!! Doh!

By the way...how did you get the little "half" symbol on your    keyboard?

• ALT and 0189 = ½

¼ and ¾ is just showing off image

NGUG - going daft in my old age.  Mrs TD is running the Brussels Half Marathon 2 weeks beforehand, not Amsterdam.  No time goals are being discussed.

As for the barefoot running thing Fizzy, arrgh, SO MUCH PAIN.  I had to cut short Tuesday's intervals, had to drop the last 2K off an easy run last night.  My calf muscles are so sore.  Am not sure i will try barefoot running again until after the marathon, by which time the ground will be so wet and cold I probably won't dare to.

It was very enjoyable and not at all painful while I was doing it (apart from the obvious little stones and stuff under foot). But I am shocked at how much it has impacted the Soleus muscle. I'm not going to run tonight and tomorrow is a rest day, so hopefully that's enough to recover.

BTW, all bridges appear very flat on Google Earth for some reason image

½ ½ it works fab. That is soooo useful. Thanksimage

• Fizz - you'll be okay just ignore those d'mn bridges.  They are really just bits of the road - flat as pancakes.

Tricky - d'oh!  Has Mrs run before seem to remember she has?

Vicarious running through Mr NGUG this weekend.   My waterbottle and Garmin will go missing againimage wonder what he's going to do when I am a runner again.  Crosstrainer for me again oh whopeeimage

We will have to start another list of spouses who are now runningimage

Mrs TD
    Mr NGUG

have mastered the ½ , so do tell how to do the  quarter image
  • ALT 0188 and ALT 190 of course ¿ That's ALT 0191 if you are interested image

NGUG - yes, Mrs TD is the finisher of 3 marathons now.  She's working hard on another degree so has less time for running, hence choosing to only train for a half this time around.  Am amazed that you can make do with just one drinks bottle in the house.  We must have about 10 of them breeding in a cupboard or something. 

My two days of rest seem to be doing the trick after my adventure with barefoot running.  Calf stiffness is beginning to get better.  Hope I'll be alright in the morning for a run.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Woah! Back up the truck!
    I can't do the half-thingy...
    I'm pressing ' Alt' * left? *and then typing the number =...nothing image Please explain.....slooowly. What's with the capitals? Do I have to do everything at the same time?
    What worked for me was holding down the ALT button, then on the keypad I pressed 0189 one after the other............. ½ and hey presto . The fraction doesnt seem to pop up until you release the ALT
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • ¾ how educational this thread is... slow but educational...image

TD - well done to Mrs T - doing a degree too with two kids sounds like a busy lady.  We do have other water bottles but I get a bit possessive about my FLM one - managed to get him to take an alternative this weekend - he said "Is this the one I took last week" to which I said "yes, I think so.."image - sad individual I am.

Physio tonite so hoping scary Helga type woman will sign me off - no doubt after pulling my leg in various weird positions and getting me to hop around a bit first.

Looks as if I am getting some Skins from my dad for my b'day in September.. cant wait... might see if he can get them a bit earlier so I can take them on hols with meimage 

• Glad you've put your foot down about the water bottle - it's important to put down a marker about such things!  Good luck with the leg pulling tonight by the way.  Sure you'll feel better once you've handed your sick note back in.

On a separate note, does anyone like my new, "not scary looking" avatar?

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Very nice Tricky! Have you cartooned yourself?  You'll be able to buy those nuts soon, part of Albert Heijn's Excellent brand...

NGUG when I did London in 2006 there was a bloke running barefoot in a karate suit next o me all the way round...

Still resting here, ticking over on two club nights a week before building back up to either London or Paris.

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

Evening everybody.

Was just browsing and had to have a play.......... ½, ¾  image

Small things amuse small minds, hope everybody is well.

• well im only fractionally inyterested in the latest posts!!

ran 8 miles at 9:50 pace yesterday as per RW program, felt strong even after my race friday so pushed the pace on the last two miles to 8:30 with the legs ok today

tomorrow is1 mile jog, then 3 x 1 mile fast, with 400m jog recoveries, then 1 mile jog  the fast miles are at 8:00 min/mile pace cant wait!!

Finn the bridges thing---- i say just get over it!!image

• Tricky - does look like the pics of you?? V.non threatening friendly looking avatar not like your last oneimage  Not healthy me not running getting obsessed with water bottles...

Mr P - hi!  OMG 42kms with no shoes ouch.  Tough man (or cripple??)

DD- how's it going?  Still running with RP etc.?  Are you doing Berlin or was I just imagining that (entirely possible).

Scary Helga physio did twist my leg and told me that I must start running again!!!   This is must not a may.   Wheeeeeeeyeee!!!  3kms tomorrow followed by 5kms on Sunday (wowwwee)imageimageimage  Thinks my right leg is weaker than my left so probably why I slightly pronate in that foot.  Lunges and squats and more exercises for my glutes to make sure it doesnt reoccurimage

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭

NGUG....Everything fine thanks, apart from the running. Nothing but injuries and bad luck. On a good day still run with RP, but she getting out of my league now. Still hoping to do Berlin, fingers crossed.

Good luck with your recovery runs. 

• Depyurdee - forgive the cruel joke at your expense, but hasn't she always been "out of your league"?! image

Sorry about that, it just came out, Turrett's-like.  All injuries and bad luck doesn't sound good, espeically if you've got an October Marathon in your sights.  What's up?

NGUG - great news.  Glad you get to run away from Scary Helga (is she related to FizzioFinn?).  Don't let your running enthusiasm over do it as you start running again. Have fun firming up the 'tush.  Didn't we have a conversation a little while ago about doing 'bridge' exercises with feet up on a Swiss ball, to strengthen the Glute Meds?

Main difference between me and the avatar - boyish hair. In real life, I look slightly less manga-fied but my arms really do stick out from the base of my neck.

• DD - sorry to hear about your injuries are you resting then?  I have had three weeks rest and have been climbing the walls....

TD - will be taking it gently couldnt bear the thought of being on the injury bench again so will be sensible.  Scary Helga I dont think is related to Fizz - I am sure Fizz smiles sometimes Scary Helga doesnt believe in smiling... Come on then video of glutes exercise???  Lost cause isnt it.  Can you remind me how to do it? 

He he re avatar.image 

Nevergiveup Girl wrote (see)

DD - sorry to hear about your injuries are you resting then?  I have had three weeks rest and have been climbing the walls....)

So is climbing walls, cross training then?image    I thought you were resting image

Whazzup Dawg?image

• Well okay you're right Fizz resting = crosstraining I would be totally unbearable (rather than just unbearable) if I was doing absolutely nothingimage

• Gold PigGold Pig ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky BELGIUM wrote (see)

Depyurdee - forgive the cruel joke at your expense, but hasn't she always been "out of your league"?! image

TD...You're an hard man, i have got feelings you knowimage But you are right.

Fizz...had problems with the calfs, probably too much too soon. When i was just getting back into the swing of things, i managed to sprain my ankle 10 days ago. Was doing the city 10k which was an athletic stadium start. There were 2000 runners on 4 lanes of track and i started near the back. It was very slow, so i cut in field and when i went to get back on the track, my foot caught the the steel tubing that formed the kerb of the track, and i ended "arse over tit". Thats it in a nutshell, still got swelling and bruising and really pissed off. 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hello, chums...

Poor DD! Welcome to the injury bench...

Not that I expect to be there much longer imageFoot nearly better..A gentle trot, this weekend, looks likely. I've got new shoes...lovely' Cinderalla' moment in the shop...Paris, here I come.! Err...slowly...

See you, there, Mr. P.
  • Come on ATM dont be shy - pic of the new flash trainers thenimage  Cinders... imageimage

First 3km at gentle 9 km/ph at lunch time - wooohhhoooimageimage felt absolutely fine.  Someone said (may be Finn) actually feels more difficult sometimes stopping yourself from going faster.  Hip absolutely fine feels really normal again.

No ju jitsu tonite both me and Mr NGUG too knackered - too many nights last week staying up watching Torchwood... work too manic too.  Burning the candle at both ends not a good idea.  Will go to ju jitsu on Friday earlier session so we dont come home circa 10.30pm without having eaten (not such a nice club though). 

• Evening everybody.I got from T'Egypt Sunday evening after 2 whole weeks of doing nothing.I did behave on the food and drink but still put weight on.I've got a 3 mile race in 3 weeks and really need to get some running done but lack motivation.

• Nice to see you are back safely Howie, no messing around with the militants.  "Treated" myself to a dose of intervals tonight. 4 x 1m around 6:40mm (4:09m/km) pace. Thought there was a fair chance of image

You can see it here if you like graphs and stuff. NGUG - something else you can do with your Garmin if you want to give it a try....

Welcome home Howeyz.

Dawg thats really toughimage. Commiserations. Do some balance work as part of your recovery. Standing on a flattish cushion on the one bad leg- to retrain your damaged balance receptors. I hope your heal quickly

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

http://www.runandbecome.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/s/s/ss09-saucony-w-guide-2.jpg

image  Friday, Friday....

• ATM - you know when I re-read my posting I was thinking to myself may be I have got the  new "shoes" bit wrong and in fact she has gone and bought some Jimmy Cho shoes or something like that.. no I was right in the first place image  I used to love my Sarcony shoes have Asics ones now which are a bit wider.

Welcome back Howeyz - nice and cloudy and rainy here - does it feel as if you have never been away yet?  Normally takes a day or so for me.image

DD - sorry to hear about the ankle sounds like an icing needed there.  Hopefully it should heal quite quickly?

Gym this afternoon for me.  Feel okay after yesterdays 3km.image