Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• atm..  try using a pull bouy to assist with your swimming..   it is a float that you grip between your knees so when you fc you basically pull your legs through the water without kicking.  It can really help with strength development in your shoulders and upper arms and is a useful exercise.  It is more like OW swimming as the wet suit will give you some floatation and you are not really supposed to use your legs too much...

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Existential essentials for the modern athlete...---------->

Fancy Tri bikes knitted to order, fully-fitted imaginary wet-suits by return, woollen running shoes always in stock.

* Business plan c. AH . I just know this is going to be the route-to-the-loot, Hen *

• image SD! 

Someone who thinks the same way as me! (How worrying).

• kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

Been doing some more reading about Paris, and am definitely up for it in 2009. Sounds great. My father-in-law missed out on getting in the ballot for FLM, so I think he'll be up for entering too. Probably going to turn into a bit of a family holiday, with my wife, baby daughter and mother-in-law coming along to support. Thinking about options for accommodation - has anyone tried booking an apartment there, rather than stopping in a hotel. Seems like it might be a better option than a hotel if we're staying a few days.

• Graham - quite a few people on this thread last year stayed in an appt I think but I can't remember who.... hang around and keep asking and am sure someone will be able to help. 
  • Hello all. back again - this is getting going then eh?

Have just had 3 weeks virtually off training for a 'rest' after  FLm and Edinburgh. Have a marathon at beginning of Sept. and hoping for a sub 3-30. Just been to physio and- shall we say - sitting down is a bit painful!! Trying to detox after 2 weeks' hol is killing my head too!!!

Ok roll on 15th Sept (?)  when i'll really feel this is happening and can book accommodation, travel etc.

Good luck with training all.

Molly XX

• Hello all, anyone interested by this: http://www.running-project.co.uk/welcome/, possibly the kind of commitment and crazy thing PhilPub would enjoy!?!?!

• Ha ha Angelique, that looks fab image

...and can hubby remember where we met?
  • Hello Graham,  there are people who will book apartments and there are web sites devoted to that.  I've not done it myself.. I look for a decent hotel near the Arc so that it is within staggering distance of the start and finish and avoids using the Metro. 

Molly..  sub 3:30 is good going..  image    

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Hi AH, fitness feels ok actually, I'm glad that I have been x-training. I am building up slowly ish, but am finding it difficult to fit the running back into my life. Will step it up a bit once the summer hols come.

SD, the water is less scarey actually, we aren't doing any breathing yet, and I do feel more relaxed in the water. How's your swimming coming along?
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning all.

sub-3.30, Molly? Great! Looks like the drinks are on you .image Get out there and train while we work on the bar list....

I saw that thing in the paper Angelique and wondered who they got to do it. J3ff's right...sounds like a Phil thing.C'mon you Londoners, anyone going to do it?

Shiva, that's great! i'm sure relaxation is the key....It's just hard when it all goes to pieces and panic kinda floods in.. I did my first length, crawl, and was delighted. Haven't made it 2, yet, but I'm keeping at it. I hope that , at some point, it will all come together.I'm trying to be in the pool very early in the morning so I can watch the good swimmers...err..in a non-creepy way...Meantime, it's breast-stroke since I've entered a Sprint Tri and have to get up and down the pool, somehow.I've been cycling a eair bit and realise that I'm not doing the amount of running I need to do the Half I've entered. Summer's full of other things..visitors/returning family...and I go on holiday, tomorrow. ( Paris. I'll check it's still there and say hello to minx from all)

How's the training going, CJ? Is your foot holding up? Not tempted  to enter and hope for the best?Redpanda, have you decided between Paris and Rome, yet?

Today, I will be mostly packing...image

• Hello - flying visit. Really busy.  Son won both his races yesterday at sports day so is a very happy 13 year old.  Winning involved a medal and a podium presentation ceremony (twice!) in front of that all important audience - all the girls in the school!  Soooo much more important than anything to do with the club or English Schools or anything image image.  That's my boy.  He's got another tri tomorrow.  This time the bike'll have new bloody everything so there shouldn't be any chain/gear nightmares.

Sorry you didn't need to know any of that. But I'm so proud of my boy!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

imageAnd why not!  Hope the weather's good for your chick's Tri.

I've just seen 2  boys...about 10 and  14 ...doing the butterfly up and down, and up and down, the pool...perfectly.They looked like dolphins. Amazing to watch.

Tutu, got your bike yet?

• Butterfly's wonderful when it works.  I can do it but I'm more like a Lancaster bomber than a dolphin.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've seen a couple of guys doing it , AH,and although they looked amazing and very powerful, it did look like a huge effort....ploughing through the water and sweeping everyone aside in their wake. These boys made it look easy and a load of fun. Really, they were like wee fish..

• Training went well this week, thanks for asking.  Took some advice and decided for easy 3m on Mon, post race.  Fast(ish) 2m on Weds and then pushed it up to 4m today, easy pace and so far, so good.  Foot holding up better than expected, which is reassuring.  Always feel nervous when moving out of comfort zone!! Appt with physio next week just to check that all is OK!

Hope swimming goes well, not my favourite past-time! 

Re Paris - don't like to enter as superstitious!  With my luck, would enter and then go down injured next day, so will wait until I've a better idea of how it's all going.  Am thinking ahead to autumn distances and events, but just thinking at the moment!

Hope you have a good holiday and bon voyage!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Glasgow Half ( and 10k ) 7 September CJ image Biggest Half in the UK,as far as I remember and almost flat. With added bagpipes.

* Trying to cram too much stuff into 1 suitcase. Thought of early morning run but couldn't bear the idea of twisting my ankle or something daft before leaving for hols so I've wrapped myself in cotton wool 'til the taxi arrives*

• Saw Tutu today.... both dangerously close to entering IMCH. image

• Sleepless night. We both entered.  DV!!! Allons-y!! (I know they speak Deutschshshch in Zurich but I can't speak German...).

Off for a calming bike ride.

• BArry K's entered Zurich, too!
  • Hi all!

I'm so slow on the uptake - this is my first post on this thread!

Afraid to say the Hen is correct - me, her and Barry K have indeed all entered IronMan Zurich 2009 - aaarghh!! What on earth are we doing?!

atm - hello! picking bike up on weds, very excited but also very scared... never ridden on road by myself before.. also scared of the inevitable bum-pain I will have to endure. Just sitting on it in the shop for 5 mins not even going anywhere hurt sooooo much image - lucky I  bought some sexy nappy-like padded shorts! 

not sure about paris 2009.. depends on things like if i get into london (wouldn't do both again, although it was quite an experience!) and how much i end up spending on this IM... 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all! Thought I'd pop in and say bonjour to the new thread. My internet abuse has been minimal lately due to work commitments, and unfortunately my running has been even more minimal due to ITBS in my left leg. image I've never experienced it before but after trying to complete another 400m interval last Tuesday in around 74 secs, I knew exactly what the pain was as soon as my foot hit the track. Ouch! So I'm stretching, strengthening, and sweating it out down the gym and on the bike for the foreseeable future.

Looking on the bright side, I'm booked in for a duathlon in a couple of months so my cycling could do with improving anyway. Tis a bit frustrating though, having to cancel a couple of races, especially as I haven't done a 10k since August last year and I thought I would've thrashed my PB by now. Oh well, it's a marathon not a sprint, eh? Next target running race is a half in October so if I look after myself I should be in reasonable nick for that.

Good luck all for Paris 2009. I'm up the front for FLM so that's my Spring plans taken care of. NY a definite possibility for later in the year.

Angelique - now that Tate thing looks like fun, but I'd struggle with the 3x/wk commitment. Shame really, since my orange shorts a work of art in their own right!

DV - Just reading back, I have to admire your playlist for the marathon. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway?? After about 80 mins of running doesn't the keyboard solo in Riding the Scree put you off your stride somewhat? [You gotta love a bit of prog!] image
  • Hi everyone..   FANTASTIC..!!     How exciting that so many people have entered IM Zurich!  image

Just put in the hours training, respect the distance and you will have a great weekend..  the pirate support is amazing......

Pirate training plan:    swim a bit, bike a lot, run a bit.    It works everytime.     Top tip..    buy a wet suit now, and get in the water this summer and get used to it.   It is really different to swimming in a pool.

PhilPub.  Riding The Scree is one of Banks' best keyboard solos..  LOVE IT.   Another great one in the same style is a track called You from his first solo album, A Curious Feeling.  Well worth checking out if you don't know it.   I have that on my iPod too....!

We are all going to have to meet up in Paris for a pre-Zurich beer..  image

• Thanks DV. No idea where to get a wetsuit from, better start thinking about all these things I guess! Do you wear your pirate tri-suit under your wetsuit then? I have a lot to figure out! I remember some talk (on the Paris 2008 thread perhaps?) about ladies wearing bras under tri suits - could somebody remind me what the concensus was on this please?! They look really tight so I wonder if a bra is needed or would even fit under all that lycra!!!

I even got my lovely little pirate logo today to make it that bit more official and keep reminding myself that I AM going to do it!!!! I really am! 

• I bought my wet suit from TriUK, who are based in Yeovil.   There are loads of different types - basically the better swimmer you are, the thinner the material and less bouyant.  I am a rubbish swimmer so mine is a little thicker and will support my body-weight in the water.

When you swim, you basically pull yourself through the water, hardly kicking or using your legs at all.

Men just wear their shorts or swim shorts under the wet suit.  Women wear their tri suits (or shorts and top) and that would include your sports bra.  No need to worry about it getting wet.  You will dry soon enough on the bike.  The wet suit is skin tight.  Nothing is left to the imagination at all....!

The wet suit needs to fit correctly, or you could end up with bad chaffing on your neck, under arms and shoulders.   They can be a devil to get on...   but there will be people to help you get it off afterwards.  Using some body glide, baby oil or other such non-alcohol/petroleum lubricant to prevent chaffing.

So.. you do the swim and run to T1.  There, you change out of your wet suit into your bike kit.  Make sure you dry your feet at least....

Excited yet...?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    DV - I could go off on a serious tangent here. Maybe I should enter an Ironman and we can have a chat on the bike leg! With three older brothers I was brought up with prog/Led Zep/Pink Floyd/metal etc and it doesn't get any better than early Genesis IMO. Selling England by the Pound is my fave album of all time. I have A Curious Feeling on vinyl somewhere but haven't listened to it in ages and have nothing to play it on these days. Guess I should pick up the CD.

Tutu et al - You're all nutters! I had no idea so many of the Paris lot were actually signing up for Ironman, but I'll be following your escapades with interest... without geting dragged in myself, you understand. image

Anyway, injury 'rehab' time for me, so I'm off down the pub for some Abbot Ale.
  • Just a bit! Especially when talking about the finer details like that... man in bike shop was showing me tri shoes which are quick-dry for your feet and let lots of air in etc, didn't buy any yet but may do.

Love the imagine of running up to a team of people and saying "help me strip!" and have them unpeel your wetsuit, haha! I will need one with maximum bouyancy I'm sure. 

• Sorry to hear about the ITBS Phil, I had it for a few months last year, a right pain.. just persevere with all that stretching etc, worked for me...
  • PhilPub   blimey.. small world.   Have you heard of The Musical Box..?   Not the song, but the band..?  I was Tour Manager for five years and we reproduced the Selling England tour all over the Northern Hemisphere.  We also did The Lamb and Nursery Cryme/Foxtrot tours.    Did you ever see us..?   We have played at the Royal Albert Hall four or five times.   I am a huge Genesis and Tony Banks fan.  I have had a very eventful life in that regard, but this forum is not for talking about that.....    PM me if you wish.

• Tutu.. you will need to get clipless pedals and shoes for your bike..   you will need to get some over-shoes for the winter or you will find that those air holes will freeze your toes when the weather is cold.   You should also invest in a turbo trainer so that you can ride your bike indoors.  The turbo lifts your bike off the ground and has a small wheel that provides resistance for the back wheel.  You can cycle along to DVDs etc...    it is MUCH better than an exercise bike.  You will find that everyone uses them in the winter.

You are about enter a whole new world........!  image