Options

Paris Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Welcome back atm image.  Sounds like you did looooaaaads of training while en Paris.

Still rather shocked about IMCH.  Still haven't officially told my husband.  He won't mind at all, as long as I find a way of paying for it which... ahem... I haven't. Yet.  Am dying to immerse myself in a bit of reading and understanding and planning - but just no chance while we finish the end of term rush of a million things that need doing. You know how it is.

But I have been for a run today - the first in almost three weeks, what with doing my ankle and knee.  I can report I can still run. Hooray.  Of course I've been able to do useful tri training while not running so all is not lost.

If I win the lottery... i'll do Paris again next year.  It was  a lovely w/e.  I'd second the notion that you should stay until Monday so that you can celebrate with everyone after the race on Sunday!imageimage

The tragedy about IM is that some  people seem to be too bloody ill after the race to feel like really celebrating.  But it must be good because the pirate party is not until Monday night - so it's compulsory to stay until after that!!!  Quite a lot of running, biking and swimmming to be done before all that though image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

AH - hello! I've been thinking about my ITBS, how it came on and how to avoid it in the future... I don't think it's a straightforward overuse injury, more a case of trying to get back into fast running after a lull. This is from the literature I've been swotting up on:

It's an unwritten law of the universe that runners must run on a track counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise), rather than clockwise. This means that for the person who trains excessively on the track, ITBS will almost always strike in the left (inside) leg, because the left tensor fascia lata and its bands must control a greater deceleration of adduction than the right (outside) hip.

As Walt Reynolds puts it so eloquently, 'When a person runs on a curve to the left, he/she will compensate for the outward-pushing centrifugal force by leaning slightly to the left. The faster they run, the greater the lean must be (that's why very fast track sessions pose an increased risk for ITBS). As you lean into a left curve and your left foot hits the ground, pronation is exaggerated compared to running straight ahead, since the left foot tends to land more toward the outside and thus must roll to the inside to a greater extent than usual (there is more frontal-plane - side-to-side - movement than usually occurs). As this happens, the left thigh accelerates inward (adducts) to a greater extent than normal, creating a need for greater deceleration than usual by the iliotibial band and stressing the ITB considerably more, compared to running straight ahead. If you must run on the track, you should alternate back and forth between clockwise and counter-clockwise intervals.'

So, short of doing half of my track reps in the opposite direction to everyone else (or getting them to do the same!) I'm planning on a fair amount of easier pace running, and tempo running on the road before I get down the track again.

In the past couple of days my leg's started to feel completely normal, and I've got the hang of some new funky stretches and strengthening exercises ("Walt Reynolds' ITB Special"!) so after another bike ride at the weekend (subject to weather/wedding hangover...) I think my first run back will be a tentative try-out on the treadmill in the gym on Monday evening.

Re: Ironman, yes cost is a big factor for me. My poor old bike probably wouldn't take a few thousand miles of training without collapsing so I think a major investment will be required on equipment even before any travel/race costs etc. And I fancy a nice bit of carbon bling. image
  • Options

Oooh - Phil - sign up sign up sign up! Go on go on go on.  Be quick - it's nearly full!  Would be GRRRREEEAAATT to have you on board the PSOF!  We have to then be the thread that's provided the biggest number of virgins to Zurich.

Go ON. image I'm very very very broke at the mo - seriously so - but sometimes you've just got to bite off more than you can chew and chew like mad.

Go on.

• Options
    Sorry Phil, got carried away there. Thanks for all that ITB stuff. Makes absolute sense biomechanically.  But do you do THAT much training on the track?  Anyway - it's one explanation to start with.
  • Options
    A word of warning for anyone doing Paris in 2009.  It seems like there is a higher than average chance you'll decide to do an Ironman in 2010.  I think we're up to five peeps doing IMCH next year as their first IM and another who's going back for more.
  • Options
    B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭
    Wanders in ........ contemplates IMCH ................... RUNS AWAY VERY QUICKLY
  • Options

Hahahahaha...... are you sure Mr Rubble?! It'll be a lot of fun, honest!!

By the way, was it you who did a full marathon as part of your training for Paris this year? I think it was. Can you remind me which one you did - wasn't it around Feb time? I'm thinking of doing the same next year. Thanks!

• Options
    GO ON PHIL!!!! Can tell you want to! image
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    AH - tbh, it just fits what happened in my case, right down to the "Ouch!" happening towards the end of the bend as my left foot landed. In terms of a root cause, the physio I saw identified that I've got relatively weak hip/thigh adduction (or abduction, one or the other... whatever makes my knee go in when I attempt a one legged squat, anway) so this is what I'm addressing with the exercises. No, I don't do a massive amount of track work, once a week at most, but I went from 65+ mpw for mara training to very intermittent running due to illness, Glastonbury, etc, so attempting quick 400 reps when I did, in hindsight, appears to have been a bad idea. I'll certainly be building back up to the quicker stuff very slowly.

*Runs away from IM discussion slightly more gingerly than Mr Rubble...*

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Afternoon, all..

Well, Rubble. I'm older, slower and definitely broker than anyone I can think of...and only have an ultra-heavy mountain bike..and can't swim more than 25 metres..etc etc..* add your own reasons why I shouldn't have *..but I've entered and I expect to see you on the list anytime now...

And to think that Howeyz is lying sunning himself in Egypt while the Paris thread goes collectively mad....

I 'm still doing Paris. *I love the race and I'm running for a charity in the name of a friend. * Fortunately, I'm too ignorant to appreciate the effect of doing both...I'm going to adopt the DV plan of ' bashing on, regardless'.  *Tell me, DV...I'm not a member of a Tri club ( might join). What's this ' 1 day licence' I need for Zurich?*

**Hen, a lottery win would be tremendously useful. Failing that, hard graft seems to be the way out of this...Pity I never was as obsessive about making money as I've been about various other things..* Mr. atm chews carpet ***

I'm still knackered from my holiday  so I'm having a complete rest tomorrow before an early-morning plod on Sunday...and total immersion in IM literature and lore Monday.

• Options

I bought a lottery ticket today! Would be very handy indeed if I won....

I've not heard about this one day licence thing - licence for what?! image

Soooooo happy you are joining us atm, yay!!

That's six from Paris '08 now...

• Options
    I think the license is required in lieu of being a member of your own national triathlon federation.  I think it said on the website it is 50CHF but I could be wrong about that.
  • Options

No harm in being a member of the BTA really, seeing we should get some value out of it this year.  And any races you do are slightly cheaper.  They run insurance things and stuff, too, although I've read some dodgy stuff on the forums about one of their suppliers.

<Adds BTA membership to IMCH shopping list image>

• Options
    tsk, I knew nothing about that! Just checked credit card online and I should have guessed it would work out more than I thought to enter image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Sorry to wander off Paris slightly...but...

Phil, you can run fast and bike fast. Within a year, you'd be swimming like a fish! AND * hard sell coming..* Speedo do orange.

As you know, Tutu, I know nothing about any of this..but I think that the insurance provided by BTI doesn't cover stuff abroad...I will be looking at all the small print when I wake up a bit. On the other hand, it does cover accidents etc whilst in training, here, and for that reason alone I'm joining and getting some.

Just htought. ...I wonder if my general personal insurance, including the stuff that comes with annual travel insurance, covers ' competitions'...of any sort....including the Paris marathon? Running isn't on the ' hazardous' list but the element of ' race' might make a difference..I am going to check.Insurance is a funny old thing. Anything that increases the insurers' risk has got to be spelled out ...even if they don't specifically ask you.

Thanks Barry. Again, I suspect it's mandatory...to cover public liability etc..but it won't provide personal insurance cover.

DV, come and talk to use about insurance ...before Registration for Paris opens and we have to focus on running!

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I go away for a few days and everyone enters an IM. Definately not for me, too scared of water still. But I am learning to swim properly at the mo...
  • Options

Insurance...  races of this tupe require insurance.   if you join the BTA (British Triathlon Association) you are covered by insurance for training and competition.  If you live in England, you will join Triathlon England and you get a membership card with photo ID.  When you register, you give your membership number as your insurance policy.   If you don't join the BTA, you will need to buy a one day licence.

In view of the amount of training involved and that you may well decide to compete in other tri's, it makes sense to join the BTA.

Plus.. you get a nice car sticker...!   image

Have a look at the web site..  it will tell you all you need to know.  

British Triathlon

In a nut shell.. you will NOT be allowed to take part without either BTA membership or the one-day licence.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've read the site, DV. Still not sure...

1. BTA membership or 1 day licence for IMCH ---> prerequisite for entry and provides Public Liability Cover. Right?

2. BTA membership does not provide personal insurance cover outside the UK? Got to buy this yourself * possibly from BTA partners Towergatetlc *

British Triathlon is delighted to have developed through its business partnership with Towergate tlc, individual travel insurance to covers those home nation members participating in triathlon.  To find out more, or to obtain a quote please call 0844 892 1076

Right? What does your current membership cover?

I confess I've never considered whether foreign races...as opposed to just running for pleasure whilst on holiday...are covered by either my own personal accident policy OR my travel insurance. *I'm talking about personal injury/loss...not damage/injury I may cause someone else. Two very different things.*

• Options

My membership card says:       This licence is endorsed by the British Triathlon Federation for the purpose of competing in international competition.

On the web site, the insurance information is:

Membership Insurance

Insurance benefits included in the individual membership fee in respect of Triathlon England, triathlonscotland and Welsh Triathlon (the Home Nation Associations) is summarised as follows: 

Public Liability 

This recognises that any individual member who joins a Home Nation Association could be found negligent in their duty to participants, spectators, facility providers or the public and as a result be held legally liable for an accident, injury or damage to property or individuals. 

Individual members are insured for Public Liability to a limit of £5 million per case. This includes claims arising from triathlon activities at home or abroad. Individual members are insured while training for and/or competing in the sporting activities of triathlon, duathlon and related multi-sport activities which are formed from a combination of swimming, cycling and running. 

It is important to note that the insurance covers your legal liability and legal costs and expenses in the event of negligence only, and does not cover deliberate acts. 

Principal Exclusions 
    • Property in control or charge of the club
    • Ownership or use of vehicles
    • Liabilities assumed under agreements/contracts
    • The first £100 of each claim (the policy excess) which the individual member is required to pay.
    • Abuse/Molestation
    • Please note the limit of indemnity is £5 million per case and members competing in North America or other high award areas should take notice of advice on whether they need further cover.
    Persons Entitled to Indemnity
    • Affiliated members of any Home Nation Association
    • Day licence holders of any Home Nation Association.

This relates to your activities in training and competition.  It is obviously not the same as travel insurance.  If you lose your bag, that is something different.

• Options

Hello all- again.

Can anyone tell me whether  an entry form can be downloaded and posted to arrive at 'Marathon HQ' for 15th Sept. reason i'm asking is that if i'm lucky enough to get a sub 3-30 in my Sept marathon i can get a 'preferential bib'. This cannot be  obtained when applying online.

Has anyone been able to register for the newsletter yet?

Need food- recently put on nearly half a stone during an over-indulgent holiday. it has to go!!!

Hope everyones training going Ok.

Molly

• Options

Why would sub 3:30 be preferential..?   I don't understand....

• Options
    I think 'cos you can go to the front of the pen and not get stuck behind slower runners. the prestige would be good too !!!
  • Options

ok.. I just looked..   any women sub 3:30 is an 'elite'...???

Hmmm....

Well..   sorry, I don't know the answer to your question..  but, why not just email them and ask for a form you can send in.

How is the training going..  is sub 3:30 on the cards..?

• Options

I go in the 3:15 pen and I wouldn't call any of them slow...!    It only takes about 30 seconds to get to the start line...  

The prestige would be cool though...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV, all those details refer to Public Liability...i.e. you cause an accident, someone gets hurt, you damage their bike etc.

I mean cover for the neck you break yourself/transport home/your own smashed bike etc Accidents abroad are usually under travel insurance/private injury policies...but I suspect ' race' /' competition' incidents are excluded. Gonna check...

Molly, if you can find him on the forum somewhere, Barnsley Runner might be able to tell you how to apply for a Preferential bib. I think he did it, last year.

• Options

atm..  I don't know..   give me an example and I will forward to the BTA and ask for their comment on whether I would be covered if such an incident arose...    its not something that I have thought much about...   in virtually all these events, when you complete the entry form, you sign to say that you accept liability for yourself...    the Public Liability covers others who get hurt...   if you wanted to insure your bike, I suppose you can... 

Its a good question...

• Options
    Thanks for that. I've done 3-32 this year at Edinburgh and FLM so hopefully...... Ok off on 'Barsley runner hunt'  'Elite for FLM is 3-15 so the french must just be kind.....er..?!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Molly, you only have to show evidence that you've done sub-3.30 within the last 2 years so...er...if you're a woman...you're in! * Details are only on the French version...here* As I remember, there was an active link to the Application Form  download on that page by opening day last year. But, as DV says, you might want to drop them a line.

DV, scenario: You misjudge a corner on your bike, no-one's fault but your own.You trash the bike and your back...plus 2 broken legs. Swiss hospital for..err..3 weeks. Switzerland is not in the EU. £££££ + Need air ambulance back to UK. etc etc..* must work this up to a trashy TV movie , in due course* OR, Other rider ploughs into you...negligence or unavoidable accident. You want to be dealing with YOUR insurance, not theirs!

It's an everyday problem if you're simply riding a bike on holiday and have the standard travel insurance package. But ' competition/race' will make a difference..I think. * Yes, I'm that obsessive image *

• Options
    Right, I'm very confused about the insurance thing but can I quickly check - when I entered IMCH it gave me the option to buy some sort of insurance and I bought it!!! Maybe should have paid more attention - but is that the one day thing?? Hope so!  Was so tired at the time......