FLM 2009

Comments

• Smiffie - Open now:http://www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/?pageID=2&submenu=13&article=31

Your recovery sounds like mine, RFJ. I ran 4 easy miles this morning.

My heartbreaking decision to stop training due to a suspected stress fracture for the second marathon in a row was justified today. My MRI results show stress fractures in 2nd and 3rd metatarsals and degenerative damage. Need a slow steady build up to ensure it doesn't happen again.

• Does this work, I wonder? Seem to remember they blocked it last year.

Photo

• Thanks CG.  MRI Scans sound scary, degenerative damage?

Right off out with friend for 5'sh...........

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good piccy CG, sorry to hear about the SFs, take care.

Well time to pick it all apart again...... same old story for me, fine till 30k then bang, blow up......., in basic terms, went 50, 50, 53, 56 and 12, for the 10k and final 2, tells a story... but really do have to work out why...... for New forest, I may try a 20 week approach of a high base, in other words, this week is a relative rest week then its on to the metal again......

My FLM training was done off 4 runs a weeks with X trg too, well it was rare that i did any  xt rg, so that will come in, plus another day of running, this wil increase the milage, but have to be careful of the knee.

So in theory my trg will look like this

1 x LSR, 1 x Mid week long run (upto 15m max) 2 x speed / interval / hill / tempo sessions per week and a steady state 8-10m as the addional run, with 1 x X trg or 2 if didtch the 8-10 miler and 1 rest day.

The FIRST schedulde was good that I used and will work off the speed stuff again from that and try and keep the pacing for the long runs too.

Oh well thats my analysis...... any prods, feel welcome to add.

• I seem to be fine to 16 then WHR falls..... so guess its LSR's but not so slow to try to build up WHR stamina........... think thats not going to be funimage
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

me..me..me..me..

I will be back for 2009.  Hubby has said he's going to do it too which will push me to train even harder!

Does anyone know the date for 2009?

• Talking of dates I am getting paranoid over the date of the FLM...I remeber a good few years back it fell on the 21st April, my wifes birthday, she was not impressed at all (she is a non exercies smoking person) I remember going through the diary to see when the 21st fell on a Sunday again !

Anyway, have decided to go back to the running club again after 2.5 years. My wife finishes work earlier in the evening now and the kids can look after themselves till she gets in

So, if theres anyone here from Hayes and Harlington RR see you next week !

3:30 (Gary)

• RFJ,

That FIRST schedule delivered a 41 minute 10K.

Given yer average x5 multiplyer for the marathon it suggests you have the potential  to run 3.25.

Of course putting potential into practice is another thing.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that, at Eastleigh 4 weeks ago posted a 41:04........ you are very right about the putting it into practice though......!
  • Afternoon all. Boy, its getting serious already!!!! Starting get picky about 2 secs!

Please to report that the brusing has now started to subside. Still looks hiddeous but have the scan on Tuesday and hopefully some decent news. Got lots of support and sympathy last night from my charity - was their guest at the launch of the Ventura - boy, what a great evening. Alas no dancing in to the ealy hours because of leg...some may see that as a plus...so just sat and drank the night away.

Got an email today from Realbuzz that confirmed my entry and gave me a ref number so at least i know i was successful with the online entry. 

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Can I join, too?

Surprised myself by getting 3:42 while going for sub-4:00 - prob underestimated the benefits of hills in training runs. I'd now love to get under 3:30, but know it'll be tough as I can't do speed.

An early commitment must be the right approach...... Wow - more than a year to go!!   image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Swater, will not be doing NF mara now...... as a result of a meeting today, I will be up in Grantham that weekend with work at a big ball......

So have just entered Abingdon online

Welcome joddly

• Hi Joddly - Congrats on doing massively better than your target.  If you put the right training in I am sure that you will succeed in going sub 3:30 next time out.

New thread new year - please don't tell me I have ot start the LR's yet image

1st post marathon run for me today, leg speed not bad but Quads still wrecked so think will have to take it easy for a while until they recover.

Lorenzo - Your date with destiny is fast approaching - how are you doing?

• Hey - found you!!

Where else would I be - last 5 years on this thread - I'm not going anywhere!! Even though CG and Smiffie did witness my official resignation from marathon running after 10 marathons outside the baggage lorries on sunday I don't think I'm ready to sit back with a cuppa and bacon sarnie and watch it all on the telly yet!!image

CT - well done on an awesome run last week - you'll be joining us on the Green Strat then!!!

Not run since last week - gonna give it a few more days - but not walking like an idiot anymore!!

• Morning guys.

Great to see some familiar faces again.

Been out a few times with 3.30 slowly racking up the miles this week. I'm going to be following the RW 'lose 10lbs in a month' training plan so as I can get myself down to around 11 and a half stone (again). It is amazing how much an extra 7/8lbs can make to your running (extra jiggling of the wobbly bits - ooer!)

We're both doing the Richmond 1/2 in 4 weeks, so a bit less ballast will be helpful image

Speak to y'all soon,

Hoggy.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome back Hoggy, good to see you posting and running.

AA - welcome back out of retirement!!!!!!

Well no rest, was down at the havant Open Track meeting today with Jnr..... so just had to race.... did the 3000m (11:49) would have been faster but the weather was dire.... the backed that up with a tired 6:06 mile, Jnr came first in the 400m (73.3) and pushed out a 22 sec PB to do 6:08 in the mile..... (he is catching me and he is only 12.......)

So about 5m in total for me today.......

• Hi..signing in..spent the last year on the sub 3.45 thread and managed 3.40 at flm.....doing Abingdon in October..and hoping for sub 3.35..and will then see if 3.30 is a possibility..at least I have my GFA..and will get a clearer start next year...I didn't get into any kind of pace till after 10k this year..

Joddly that is certainly well under your predicted time..well done..

congrats to your son RFJ..proud dad I bet

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome NN, your targets are more than achievable i'm sure with the training that you do. And thanks.

• RFJ - Good result for the young 'un. That's some speed for a 12 year old.

Welcome to NN and congratulations on your excellent run in London. Unfortunately the green start was very crowded this year but hopefully the FLM organisers will take on board some of the comments that have been made.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Why was the Green Start more crowded this year?  Was it more GFA entrants, or celebs, or did 'other' runners also start from there?

On the BBC the referred to the green start as 'Celebs and yet more fun runners', I was shouting at the TV, NOT FUN RUNNERS - RUNNERS THAT HAVE TRAINED BLOODY HARD TO QUALIFY FOR THAT START!

• FUN RUNNERS !!!...I cant believe Kate Tarty Lawler..(sorry if she is anyones on heres..sister, daughter, aunty ) started on the greenstart in her pants..only having done 10k in training..I passed her at bout 2-3 miles talk about cheap !..ok she raised alot of money..but to get the pleasure of staring on the green start is just unfair !

Thanks for the welcomes

• They'd changed layout, couldn't even lift your arms.......... sandwiched well in.  Having said that crossed line quickley but got very personal!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Actually Smiffie, I remember us being quite sandwiched in last year.... next to those army boys?!
  • Minni - AA and I were laughing about that at the start. No such luck this year!

I think there must have been a lot more runners starting from Green this year as the toilet queues were worse too. In previous years we have been able to line up at the last minute and the marshalls were quite strict at letting runners into the first 3 pens. Didn't seem to be checking this year. My first mile was the slowest in the first half of the marathon and that hasn't been so in previous years however only by about 10 seconds.

• We didnt get a bad start as such from pen 4 on  Blue start I was under the clock within 3 mins.it was AFTER that.everyone seemed to keep stopping..I did the first mile in 9.50 !...and untill 10k was still just about managing to average only 9 min miling..

I see there is online entry for next years FLM already ..that seems to be causing a bit of a fuss..so what about us ? when do we have to get our entries in by..? and if there is no magazine and entry form what do we do ?

• Sorry to crash the thread, but I'm after a bit of urgent info...

anybody that has already successfully entered 2009 online, what info was required to complete the application please?

Cheers (and good luck with your quests for 3:30!)

• Oh, and Caterpillar Girl, re the Green Start loos queues - sorry, I got there early this year and took the newspaper in with me... image
  • NN, I was in pen 4 of Blue as well. My first two miles were 9's and I never seemed to get those 2 minutes back, partly to blame for me failing to get 3.30, I'm blaming the other 2 minutes I lost on a host of other excuses!