FLM 2009

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Night Nurse - since you qualify for a GFA entry you write to them with proof of your time (print out your official result from FLM).  You then get sent an entry form later on in the year which you simply fill in and return.  The address for GFA entries is on the website. 

Well done!

CG - just read back re your MRI scan.  Hope the damage wont be long lasting.

AA - How are those puppies?  We just got a lab puppy a couple of weeks ago,  after losing our old dog in November.  She'll be able to run with me by the winter.

• hello to everybody .iam hoping to be doing the marathon next year have only been runnin for two years now but have done four half marthons and 2 10k so far .golt loads of races planned for this year doing the bristol 10k in two weeks so realy looking forward to that as did a six mile training run last week and did it in 57mins and 30 seconds.my half marathon time at movment is 2:28
  • HampoHampo ✭✭✭

Hello

signing in for 3.30, was training for 3.45 but missed loads of training and managed to get to 26 miles at 3.50 and then collasped, cannot remember what happened but apparantly i will be getting my medal. I am a man on mission for 2009 if successful through the Ballot. I will hopefully get in and do it again

• Hi DOT. It was worse that they had the urinals this year because you were all too well aware of what all those men in the queue in front of you were going to be doing!

I entered on behalf of Mr C and from what i can remember the information was pretty much the same as what was on the old ballt form i.e. name, address, e-mail address, club and whether affiliated, tel. number, best marathon time run and predicted time. You needed to state if you were bequeathing and input card details. The money will be taken straight away if bequeathing and upon successful entry if not.

Minni - AA showed us some pictures of the gorgeous pups. They are very cute and congratulations on your new arrival - I love labrador puppies.

Welcome to all the new people.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

I wonder if you can ask not to start on the Green start if you have a GFA place? Not only were there virtually no loo queues at the red start, but I got across the start line in well under 2 minutes from pen 4!

NN - looks like I'm attempting the same as you, though I've yet to enter Abingdon. I'm planning 2 months of trying to stay fairly fit, then starting a version of the RW sub3:30 schedule on 30/6 - how about you?

• Just wondering if someone can answer a question regarding my entry for 09.I applied on race day 13Th and a London marathon payment came out of my bank on the 15Th.I have applied every year since and including 04.In a previous post I asked if I was in due to the fact that this is my sixth application in a row and the payment had been taken.One reply I received stated that every ones payment came out.Is this the case or should I start booking a hotel now......Thanks..
  • Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi Stephen, after 5 consecutive rejections since 2004 that simply means on your sixth successful appliction you will automatically get a place for 2009. I'm also in the same boat as you.
  • Hi all

Green start was a nightmare this year - think it was too narrow. And a 15 min queue for the loos was bad.

CG, how did Mr C do? Did he go sub 3?

Minni, pups are lovely. 4 weeks old now and everywhere!! I love running with my dog - really miss it at the moment. No army guys this year - just massai warriors!!

• LOL Minnie I remember the army guys, hmmmmmmmmmm image
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

No payment has been taken from m, only details of a future payment plan.....! In that I have agreed that the money will be taken from my credit card if I am successful.... If you bequethed your entry they may well have taken it straight away....!

10m done today in a slow 1:26:12,

Mark, to be able to do a 3:30 (what we are all aiming for on this thread) then you need to be able to do a 1:40 1/2 Mara, not saying that you cannot, but if the pace is too much, there will shorly be other threads up for slower times......, if it were a typo, you are more than welcome, along with the other new poters of today, great to see you all posting and a BIG welcome.

• AA - Mr C did 3:11 which he was delighted with as only ran 30 miles a week with 3 runs of 20 miles. He's going for the sub 3 at Mablethorpe with a bit more training. Grrrrr - it's not fair!
  • Hi All

I have applied for the marathon next year and have gotten into the ballot (which seems like an achievement already) ha ha.

I am 43 and I  have done a few halfs and my times are around 1.46 - 1.47 with no specific training. I have downloaded the RW 1.40 half marathon training schedule and am doing MK half on 20th July so depending on that run (and the training) I would like to try for 3.30 if it goes wrong I will remove myself to the sub 4 thread . . . .lol

• Afternoon all. Lots of new faces which is great to see.

Well done RFJ for gettig out. Must have been nice just trotting along and not feeling under pressure to knock put a fast one. Haven't checked if they took my money but got a confirm receipt from real buzz so assume I'm in the ballot.

AA - Hope you are enjoying the chill out time. Sounds as if the pups are coming along well and some normality in the AA household.  Sure you'll be out running with the dog soon. I do the odd run with our dog. She's a springer and boy does she run. At least two to three miles to every one I do. Bet Mr AA like me is looking frward to the next few games...especially when we get our 15 points back! Bit more nail biting foryou though!. Thinking of Berlin in Sept - what say you as a ex Berliner???

Gent's, with all this talk about soldiers....did anyone see dear old Nell McA??? Thnking of putting in a team to the First Monster event in Scotland. Nell is normally there....any takers.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Question - What is the first Monster?

(plus you've got your own Army guy on the thread anyway....)...!

• Found you guys - took me a few clicks to work out where everyone was now hiding. Good to see a number of familiar faces as well as some new names over here.

Firstly well done to everyone who got round successfully on last weekend - I could access the forum from the slopes via the Crackberry so kept up to date with the various tales but couldn't seem to post any reply to congratulate and commiserate. Some fantastic stories coming through and couldn't help but be moved by RFJ's words. Double well done to anyone who's made it back out on the road already

CT - outstanding performance. Would love to be able to repeat that at Halstead in 3 weeks' time 

JD - thanks for the pointers. I'm still in two minds as to whether to start off at 7:30 pace and see how I get on, or whether to be a bit more conservative and stick to 7:40 for the first half. Leading option is the former as it builds up a bit of slack for the second half of the race. 3:20 feels achieveable and I've definitely put the long runs in since Christmas so hopefully with some carbo loading and an alcohol free week in the run up I'll be prepared.

With the skiing I haven't been out on the road for the last 10 days, so it's off for some fun (not!) intervals first thing tomorrow morning - can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it one jot!

Finally, I'm mightily confused by this new on-line ballot system. If I'm reading this correctly, unless the apllication is in in the next couple of days, you've got no chance of getting in via the public ballot. Is this right?!

• Lorenzo

The first wave of enteries online has been done. I believe ther next wave starts tomorrow with another 35k online applications to go plus a further 5k paper enteries. Once these are all gone they will stop the process as they will have 120k applications, thats the limit they set. The criteria was applications for the ballot would close early September or when 120k applications had been recieved. Only 35k online place left applicatiions online start tomorrow for these I believe. But be quick FLM have said they recieved 80k applications in 3 days last week !

• Ohps, sorry RFJ, forgot your our Army man So next time around, you'll be running in full kit and give the ladies on this thread something t really wooo aboutimage

Loch Ness Monster challenge, sponsored by First Group, is a 120mile challenge for a team of four. The 120 miles consist of 4 x runs and 4 x cycles and each member has to do one of each. Its in the week before Berlin.... Link is http://www.firstmonster.co.uk/monster.php for anyone interested in something a bit different. Have to consider it as we have just become a First Group rostered agency!!!!

Good to see you are back in one peice Lorenzo from your skiing trip. If only I could have done the sameimage. As 3.30 says, you need to dive in quick today to register online. Especially considering how poor there system was first time around.

• I'm already entered for Monster, so if anyone else is going in for it let me know.

FLM ballott is open again already, I've just entered Mrs. Domsk!

• kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

I'm one of the new faces on here. I've got a half marathon coming up in a couple of weeks (Great West Run in Exeter) which I've not really done enough training for. Got a three month old daughter which is something of a distraction! Hoping to get myself round in something around 1:40-1:45. I did 1:42 at the Reading half a few weeks ago.

I've got my place in the ballot for FLM2009. Can anyone give me some advice on how much running per week is considered to be a good base level of training? I also row, and am hoping to do an event called the Boston Rowing Marathon in september (31 miles from Boston to Lincoln) so that's going to be the main focus of my exercise over the summer, but I'd like to keep up enough running so that I can get into some proper training for the marathon as soon as I find out if I've got a place or not.

Always Aching - Good to see another Reading fan on here! So, do you reckon we are going to stay up?!

Graham

• Online ballot entry FLM 2009 confirmed, now the waiting game.

• Me too.  Now need to go out for my first post-FLM run...

I'm thinking I'd quite like to do some shorter speed work next - improve my 10k time.  My p.b. for a 10k race is 44 minutes - I reckon I should be able to better that quite easily now.

• beattie.

I found that the 10K schedules that they print on RW helped me get my 10K time down by nearly 4 minutes in around 8 weeks or so. Loadsa interval and threshold training - painful but worth itimage

• OK, I wasn’t going to do it, but I succumbed and entered again, because I figure by the time I get to next year I’d regret it if I hadn’t entered. Also it’ll give me 4 consecutive rejections if I don’t get in, and even if I do I can always defer.

I discovered why my heart rate was so high in the race though – in training it was 150 and in the race it was consistently around 163 at the same pace. I’d assumed it was nerves, but on Tuesday I went down with a really heavy cold, so I guess that was brewing on race day and raised my heart rate but I didn’t feel it, probably because I was so nervous. So I guess if I can do 3:26:43 on the back of that then whilst I’m here, I should probably be paying attention to the 3:15 thread as well.

Ho Hum.

• I will be there again - entering GFA asap. 

Planning on doing another marathon in the autumn to keep my mileage going.  Was going to do Abingdon - but with so many other races around that time - my sensible head says its too dodgy (going by previous injury records), so might go for an early september marathon and then I can help marshal at Abo. 

Have done no running at all since flm.  But will go along to club tomorrow night - some 4 mile races are coming up in the next few weeks, so need to concentrate on a bit of speed work!

• Lorenzo - 7 30 pace sounds about right if I remember you were simialr times ot me.  My problem was I set off with 7 30 in my head, but got carried away and did 7 - 7:10 for the first 6.  The extra mins in the tank were lost.  RW mag said something about dont run fatser than 5% of your pace - which isnt very much.  So, I went far too fast.  My advice (and plan for Dublin) is stick to 7 30 definately no quicker and if you slow it will be still be only to 7 45 and you will still get around 3 20. 

Went out with a friend and did 7 miles. Started at 9 min pace and then levelled at around 8:45 pace.  Felt comfortable.  However last mile we really started pushing it and by the end for the last 400 metres we were sprinting at 6 min pace.  She tried to sprint past me - but that was a red rag to the bull and I had to push the hardest I ever have but I flew past her.  Never would have lived it down if she beat me.  Felt GREAT.  This did however reaffirm point above - that if you start slow and run at a steady/easy pace there is always loads left in the legs at the end.

• JD - cheers for that. Sounds like a good plan to me. As you say, more difficult is to actually stick with the plan and avoid getting carried away. Have you entered Dublin?

• Domsk..I certainly never managed to get the time back...although the very slow start did mean I got a 4 min negative split...1st half in 1.52..the 2nd in 1.48..

Minni..thanks for the info..re the entry details..

Chris H..thats  awful..hope you are fully recovered..did you find out why you collapsed ?

Joddly..my plan for Abingdon is to follow the same schedule I did for FLM ..and hope to get near the 3.30 ...I followed the P&D schedule up to 70 miles a week..although it sounds alot..there were actually only 3 weeks that went up to 70..it averaged 60 ish..it is based around 1 long runs..and 2 medium long runs of up to 15 miles each week..the other runs are 5 mile recovery runs and a tempo run of up to 8 miles..and of course 1 rest day..I find do better on higher mileage..it compensates for my hatred of fast running..LOL!!

I do think it is hard to predict marathon times off of half marathon times..my half time of 1.39 at Reading in March and 10 mile of 1.14 predicted a sub 3.30...I did 3.40

Hi Graham..so do you live in or near Exeter..I shall be watching the GWR..or may help out as our club Southwest Roadrunners helps organise it...we meet on a wednesday at 7 at the Arena if you fancy coming along..groups to suit all abilities
    albee I see you havent run since FLM ..pretty sensible I would say..I am following my recovery schedule for the training schedule..which was 2 5 mile runs last week and should have only done 5 miles yesterday..I felt it wasnt enough.and started on my usual 8 mile route..and felt rubbish...just really tired and it shattered me for the whole day..
  • Fed up now, haven't been able to run since FLM due to achilles injury.

I know that the physio on Wednesday is going to say at least two weeks because that's what she said last week and it's the same.

I need cheering up!

• Take care Domsk and be patient, cross train if you can and you'll be fine.  Went out this morning for my first run since flm. an easy and enjoyable 6.5 miles in 52 minutes.  Left calf is still tighter than right and right thigh feels stiff - but no real problems.  That said I think I'll go along for some physio and massage to be safe.   Although after my shower - I couldnt get in the car to leave for work because I got cramp in one foot and then when that was fine it was in the other foot!!! Where are those bananas.

While in Tuscany I read Paula Radcliffe's my life so far.  Not a thrilling read and a bit repetetive at times - but as a runner very interesting and inspiring.  Mind you I can barely stay in a 'cold' bath for 3 minutes, nevermind trying an ice bath for at least 12!!!  I do recomend it for runners as a good read.  

• I have entered Dublin and sorted flights and accomodation etc. 

I chatted to a chap that did 2 56 in London.  this is his race plan - which worked for him  - he was aiming for sub 3.  3 weeks before mara do a race/time trial of 10k to half to test your speed and calculate your marathon finish time and your pace - so if 10k 42:30 - mara will be around 3 20. 

Then race plan - first mile = race pace  plus 30 secs, second mile race pace plus 15 secs, then thrid at race pace then four onwards aim for a few seconds quicker than race pace to get back the early seconds lost.  The theory is that running at race pace (or quicker) when you are not warmed up very quickly depletes the glycogen stores.  For me - to get around 3 23 (avg 7.45) - it will mean 1st mile in 8.15, 2nd, 8.00 then 3rd at 7.45 then rest at 7:40.  sounds good to me, and more achieveable than what I ending up doing in London - go off as fast as possible and hang on for 20 miles!