FLM 2009

Comments

• RFJ - Be careful with that foot injury as that sounds like how my stress fractures started. Pain at night is the classic sign of a stress fracture.

Had a fantastic time at Sheffield Half today. I was supposed to be pacing a friend around for a sub 1:45 but she wasn't feeling well so we took a very leisurely stroll around in 1:50. Have to get back into proper racing mode now for White Peak.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks CG.... I was wondering.... still Okay at the moment, 10m in a steady 1:21:53..... (no pain) but more than aware that something is not right... doesnt help falling down the stairs after my run....... now have a few carpet burns too....

Good running AA and CG

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

6.25m in 44:52 to night, still no pain in foot when running.....!

Just got hold of tickets for Fulham on Sat, time to pray........

• RFJ - Hull citys last game is now on sky.  They need to win and Stoke to lose, otherwise it will be the trauma of the play offs.  But last year it was the relegation battle so us in 'Ull are still pinching ourselves that there's even a possibility of getting to the promised land. 

I did 4 x 1mile yesterday with 3 mins recovery - 6:58, 7.29 (head wind) 6:47 (ok admit bit of a back wind) and 6:51.  Very pleased.   I am training now for the Humber Bridge half marathon at end of June and a local 10k on 11th May - Beverley which is really popular now - over 1000 runners.  This is always a high pressure race with big expectations put on those from the club who are 'chosen' to run as opposed to marshall.  I am in the ladies team and expected to get the LV35 prize - no pressure at all then.  Last year I ran this but it was 3 weeks after London.  This year there is an extra week and I do think I have recovered quicker this year.  I still dont think a PB will be on the cards - I am saving that for a mid July evening race. 

• Hi Guys.

Just got back from a steady 10 miler with 3.30. Nice easy pace with plenty to chat about. I do love running with someone at a pace where you can chew the fat - as it wereimage No worries about beating the clock or negative splits, just good steady running, marvellous stuff!

Seems I broke my Timex GPS watch/arm band thingy whilst out cross country running on Friday, so a new Garmin is on it's way as I type. I opted for the 205 as opposed to the 305, because as I said to 3.30, with my pidgeon chest, every time I run my heart rate monitor just keeps on sliding down and I end up wearing it as a beltimage 

Enjoy your afternoons,

Hoggy.

• Im in for 2009, first marathon!

Anybody training for this for sub 4:00 in Dudley/Wolves?

• Just started a new thread in the training section called "Sub 3:30 Marathon - hows it done ?" if anyones interested

As Hog says a good run today - nice to get out with company

3:30

• Where is the best place to stay the night before in London?

Also, where are there showers for after the race?

• So, how are the injured getting along?  Good news about the drainage Swayer.

I'm a 'bit' more positive this week, been down the gym regularly, weights and the bike, and am now able to use the cross trainer for ten minutes or so.  The leg still hurts but it's a pain that isn't too painful, doesn't make any sense but it's hard to describe!

Anyway, I had one of those moment yesterday where you do things without hinking.  I was going to the bank and it started to rain, next thing I knew I'd jogged about 50 yards without realising what i was doing!  No real pain from it, so hopefully it's a sign that things are slowly getting better.  My NY schedule starts on July 14th, if I can get back running lightly in six weeks then that will be perfect, but if not then another two and a half months should hopefully see me ok, even if that would mean a sub 3:30 at NY could be beyond me.

Two and a half months now without running, it's been so frustrating.  Just need to make sure I don't try and come back too soon.

• I'm very jealous of all you who are running! 

Here's my injury update;

I went to see a consultant yesterday who told me he doesn't think that I've torn my achilles at all, he thinks that it might be a calf tear. So I'm off for an MRI scan on Friday with a follow up on Tuesday. Either way it's 4-6 weeks recovery. Apparently my 5 hours of football with my daughter in the park at weekend didn't help.

I'm going to buy a bike on Friday before I get fat.!

Hey Caterpillar, I'm glad to hear that Sheff was good. I've done that one a few times with it being my roots.

• Back on the fast stuff last night - a 2.5k leg of a club relay, with much of it on very wet and slippery grass. Finished in 9:41 running solo as the nearest runner was 30 seconds faster than me and started 50 yards ahead. Still, if I can run that solo in those conditions then I still think I'm looking good for a sub-20 5k, and maybe something sub-41 at Shinfield on Monday image
  • MF - TAKE IT EASY - Dont come back to quickly. There is still lots of time before you need to start the serious stuff. After two and half months, another few weeks wont hurt ...in the non injury sense of course.

Domsk - Good news on the achillies. Hope the MRI goes okay and doesnt show anything horrid. Speaking from very recent experience, a calf tear will heal in about 6 week. I am four weeks into mine and whilst I can still feel it and running is a no no, its certainly feeling a lot better.

As for me, calf as above. Just taking it easy. Might try the bike at the weekend as I feel I am starting to stick on unwanted weight. Today, MRI scan on my knee and will have to wait to see what that brings. Can feel it whenwalking up and down stairs. Was hoping that with no running it would go away but alas no. Fingers crossed.

Good running BWOTF. Looking good for a sub 41 on Monday. I was meant to do the Lymington 10k the following weekend but think thats out of the question. Got my pb there in 2005 - 42.10

Hogmonster - hope the new GPS is working well.

What odds - 15pts back today, win on Saturday, promoted as champions!!!!

• Swayer, I hear the Football League may deduct a further 30 points for Leeds having the temerity to appeal, meaning relegation to League 2!
  • Swayer - sorry but I agree with Domsk - League 2 dooms.  As for Hull - come on Leicester, beat Stoke and after we wap Ipswich we will be in dream land.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

heres hoping that we will still be there...... come on Fulham

Regarding the pain in the foot, have seen doc and had xrays, she is confused, in that she covered her bases, could be Arthritus, break, ligament/tendon damage... she advised that I take it easy, but carry on, so have done 2 days rest with a bit of x trg will run tonight as planning on a 5k on Sat and a 10k on Mon... so will see how it goes....

• Out with the club tonight for our first foray of the summer(?) into Windsor Great Park. 6.37 miles in 47:11 @ 7:24. Second half was much faster than the first however, and my heartrate was rather high. I definitely feel I've regressed a bit since the marathon, and there is still some heaviness in the legs. Still looking ok for a PB at Shinfield on Monday though I reckon.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

BOTF - I will be at Shinfield on Monday too, Will be wearing blue and white stripped vest with red shorts and a red bandana, Number 390. Would be good to meet up.

6m for me tonight, a steady 48:21.

• Datchet Dashers vest and black Skins shorts - haven't got my number to hand at the moment. I'll look out for you image
  • BWOF

Member of Datchet then - I am with Hayes and Harlington. Been up to the marathon on you bus a few times. Ian Robinson still at your club

Gary

• RFJ - Insist on an MRI. I had at least 5 x rays and none of them showed the stress fractures but clear as day on the MRI. Don't mean to be doom and gloom but I have had a year of injury and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
  • MRI scan done today, find out results on Tuesday.

Going to buy a Boardman Bike next week.

• Is anyone running on full steam out there?

My legs are still very haeavy - although I have done two sessions with club this week and enjoyed.  On Wed did 9 but it was really hard and couldnt get anywhere near the pace I had leading up to London. 

Planning on 12 on Saturday - but nervous about the distance - daft I know but I want it to be easy and I know it wont be.

• OOOOH new toy alert!

Just got back from a quick 5.2 miler whislt wearing my Garmin 205. It's sooooo much quicker picking up a signal than my old 101 - highly recommended! I've just been playing with all of the different graphs and tables that come with the CD, you can see the highest/slowest speed and even the elevation - great fun. Completed the run in 35 1/2 minutes, so a fairly good speed session. Also, I'm 'being good' regarding my diet, and so far I've lost 5lbs in two weeks, so I'm well chuffed - slow and steady as they sayimage

DOMSK, good luck and fingers crossed for the results on Tuesday and what Boardman bike are you going for?

Julie, I'm sure the planned 12 on Saturday will be fine, just enjoy the run and forget about times etc.

• Hoggy,how long does the Garmin take to pick up a signal? I've got a Time Ironman which takes around 3 -4 minutes. I became obsessed with my GPS during the FLM training, to the point where Mrs.Domsk regretted buying it for me.

Not sure on the bike yet, it'll be a racer but there are 3 specs to choose from. I know the guy that runs the company so I'm sure he'll convince me to go for the top spec!

• JD - I'm still in training mode with 9 days to go to Halstead. Think I'll have suffered from a double dose of pre-marathon nerves by the time I get to the start line - one for you and everyone else at London and then one for myself!! Just hope it results in double the amount of adrenalin and inspiration.

Winding down this week - was over in Ireland on business so managed a couple of 6 milers: one alongside Galway Bay and the other in the roads near Lough Ree. Managed to pick the sunny times of the day to go out on each occasion so it was very pleasant. Day off yesterday, a fastish 5K this morning and will go for a 10 miler tomorrow morning before heading off camping with the crew (a trial run for the new tent!)

• 3:30 or bust wrote (see)

BWOF

Member of Datchet then - I am with Hayes and Harlington. Been up to the marathon on you bus a few times. Ian Robinson still at your club

Gary

Can't miss the Hayes & Harlington members in those bright vests!
    Ian is still a member, but we haven't seen him for ages as I believe he's working in France.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Will look out for you the BOTF.

CG - have to wait to get called back in by the doc, which wil hopefully be next week..... however, did you SF hurt when you ran..... must admit the pain is going quite quickly so may be fortunate (I hope and Pray).

Rest day today, and doing WCTT or BPTT tomorrow. (5K) That will tell me how the legs are if I go flat out, if not it will be Monday at Shinfield.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Muddy fantastic day.... (copied from trg thread....)
    This morning up and early and out the door with Jrr to travel to Wimbledon Common for the time trail, got up there safely and went for a wet and muddy underfoot warm up, gald I took my wave harriers, so did a quick change into them befor ethe off.

The plan, was Jnr to run a PB and do it by himself, leaving me to aim for a sub 20 attempt (in my dreams....)

Got off to a good start and held back a bit and worked hard but within myself on the first lap, finding a solid position where i was not overtaken, nor did I overtake anyone. The second lap, I upped the anti and started passing a couple of peeps, as the hammer went down, caught one guy with 250 to go and he didnt like me passing so sprinted rather quickly away from as did another guy.... the underfoot conditions were not ideal and quite hard, so crossed the line in tact in a course best 20:25 (previous best at WCTT was 20:37) so feel that on a flat / dry course sub 20 will again be a regular occourance once more. 16th out of 87)

As for Jnr, his PB was 23:08, and he smashed it down to a very respectable 22:39, well done for a great race..... 36th out of 87 - not bad for 12 YO)

We then had drinks and cakes at the Windmill before heading off to watch Fulham play Birmingham...., we Won 2-0, in a great game, now have little or no voice left........

Excellent day..... (Mrs RFJ and Daughter went to the shops............)
  • Good stuff RFJ and outstanding perforamnce from Jnr. Just make sure he doesn't beat you to sub 20!

Hoping to get over to Esher for the 10K tomorrow morning - have just signed Mrs L up for the Dorking 10 at the beginning of next June so this will hopefully be a confidence boost. Lorenzitos #1 and #2 are up for doing the fun run so I'll go round slowly with them.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, I have a PB of 19:19, so was there, but try dammed hard to get back there....!