FLM 2009

Comments

• now stop being a competitive dad was that theimage 'Fast Show'  where the dad always wopped the kid at tennis?

Week today Prague, then fortnight til Edinburgh................  Are Halstead & Prague on same day?  Prague is going to be a LSR so I can race Edinburgh though as I couldn't race 2 so close together and get the best from both...............

ROFL got companion for Peter (balls off) rabbit.  Went to rescue centre and got girlie who is a l-i-t-t-l-e overweight to say the least!  But I've now realised she'd be twice as big as Peter even if she wasn't so overweight.  Peter is a confused little boy, seems to have forgotten about Op and is confused/happy in equal measures, explain that to the kids! "oh he's just happy and wants to keep hold of her", hmmmmimage

Boy bunny on Right!

• kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭

Got myself round the Great West run yesterday in 1:48.09. Not quite the time I was hoping for, but fairly pleased given that it's a hilly course and I'd not really done the training I should have. I was on course for matching my pb (1:42 from Reading a couple of months ago) until 9 or 10 miles, but then my legs started to get very heavy! Got caught up by the 1:45 pace runners at about 11 miles, so was hoping to stay with them, but got a really nasty stitch coming up the last hill which has never happened in training, which scuppereed that plan. Not sure what that was about!

Am resigned to Reading being in the championship next season. To be honest I think Fulham deserve to stay up far more than  we do, so good luck to them.

• A rather warm outing at the Shinfield 10k this morning. Was hoping to get somewhere near 41 minutes, but the heat put paid to that. I was on schedule until around 5k, in fact I beat my 5k PB by about 10 seconds, but struggled to keep the pace from then on. RFJ caught me at around 8k and I did my best to stay with him, but couldn't quite do it, and finished at 41:38 on my watch, still a PB by 2 minutes or so. 10C colder and I guess I'd have had a chance of going sub 41, but I do not run well in the heat. The end result was my pace in this 10k was actually the same as I ran the Maidenhead 10 miles back in March. Still, I knew I'd lost a lot of ground since then, so give me a few weeks of proper speed training and hopefully I'll be sub 41 before too long image
  • Sounds a good run there BOTF, like you say you've lost some ground but that will come back....... image
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good run and a great PB BOTF, it was warm out there and was great to meet you at Shinfield 10K.

Jnr did the 3k fun run in 12:34, in a very poorly organised event. The 10 K was much beter... really wasnt in the mood for it till 6k, hence picked up a negative split... 20:48 (1st 5k) and 20:36 (2nd 5K) to finish on the watch in 41:26, so have to be happy with that.

Well done Graham

• Smiffie - sounds like you've got a busy couple of weeks coming up. Is Prague on the Monday? Halstead is on the Sunday.

I might be mad, but am contemplating running the South Downs Marathon in the middle of June - rave reviews on the site, but will it be too soon after Halstead? Will wait and see how I feel.

• Pragues on Sunday too................., better be my flights are booked for then................image
  • Great 10k RFJ - well done.

Smiffie - like your rabbit bit.

Lorenzo - will be watching out for your race report.  Hope the adrenalin doesnt make you off too quick.  As for doing a second marathon so close - all I can say I have only managed a 10 miler up to now since London - although I am very limiting myself mentally as well becuase I have a 10k on sunday and I feel under pressure to have a good race.

As for Hull City - we have two games against Watford before Wembly.  The price of tickets for Wembley is disgusting - £75 each - so a family of 4 plus accomodation and travel - we could have a weeks holiday abroad for that - but of course we will be there (fingers crossed).

• Julie, can you let me know where you can get a holiday for 4 for £600 please, I need to book soon.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Camping Domsk.... thats what we will be doing later this year..... for £300 all in events and all, mind you it is in Somerset.... if you call that abroad!.....

X trg for me today..... still waiting on results, but as you can see is not affecting my running other that I am holding back from running every day.

Those prices are disgusting Julie, I can remember seeing Wycombe in the 3/4th div play off several years back and was £15 on the day......! (Last time I went to Wembly actually... but then neither Fulham or Wycombe have got there since...) 

Take care

• Speed work tonight - 10 x 440m, and I certainly felt yesterday's exertions for the first few. Put together a decent set though - 1:37, 1:39, 5 @ 1:38, 2 @ 1:37 and a final 'sprint' in 1:32. And all the accompanyment of a military band who were going through their paces in preparation for the Windsor Tattoo later this week image
  • BOTF

Hayes and Harlington used to run in white vests with a blue hoop

The orange and blue quarters were as a result of a weekend in Dublin where Ian and I ran the marathon (about the only time I beat him) We were there with 4 other club members who had come along to support (and try to drink the Guiness factory dry) after the race over a few Paddy Whiskies we decided we needed an away strip and for some reason we came up with these colours and they stuck as our club kit !

Yes Ian works a lot in France I havent seen him for a couple of years now

3:30

• BOTF - good spped session.  Last night I did a 2 x pyramid session (30 secs, 0.1 mile, 0.25 mile, 0.5 mile, 0.25 mile, 0.1 mile, 30 secs - all with one min recovery).  I usually do this on a dinner by myself but last night was with a club mate.  It was incredible how much faster I went sprinting with/against someone esle.  Feel like I my speed is coming back now - just need the endurance to kick in. 

Still stressing about the Beverley 10k on Sunday.  Although my incentive to get round quickly is that Watford v Hull city are live on sky, kick off at 12. 

• I wont be running anywhere near 3 hours or 3.30 - Will be happy to get 4.30 ! Ive never run a marathon before but have a place running for charity - and even though it is 11 1/2 months away Im so excited.  Wanted to run it for years but have spent the last 10 years having 4 kids, Ive now reached 40 and decided its time to do something for myself

So bring it on !!

• Donna

You have nearly a year. If you feel now you could do 4:30 apply yourself now - put in the miles but increase slowly - build up a good base mileage and follow a schedule and you will surprise youreself

You have a year so come on you can do it....... Donna Connor - A woman on a mission for sub 4 and beyond

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!image

• Is that your real name Donna Connor - if it is its great!  Sorry - welcome and I agree with the previous comments.

My advice - buy a Garmin watch - you can pick up the older version a 201 for about £50 - it will the best £50 you have ever spent.  Then download a schedule from Runners Wolrd website and work towards that building up the mileage and doing speed work and hills, so you are ready to start a 16week scedule at Xmas.

• Hi all, can I play too? I have a deferred place for next year, I only entered this years as it was online entry and I thought I would start my 5 rejections going. And of course I got in first go, which is a bugger as I am actually training for IMUK this year and couldn't do both.

I have run walked 1 marathon in 2004 in 4:37, and from my half times (pb of 1:36:42) should allegedly be capable of around a 3:20 (according to McMillan any way).

I would be very happy with a sub 3.30 though, and would really like to go sub 3.15, which would be a GFA for me.

• Hello.....in need of some advice please.  I am trying to get my GFA time for London, I am running Edinburgh in a couple of weeks to try and achieve this.  Do you think I should still apply on line as if I don't the last 2 failed attempts won't count.

• Yes I think to cover yourself you should apply.
  • Hi Julie

Yes my name really is Donna Connor ! (I give staff in call centres hours of entertainment with that - and statements like 'your name rhymes' !! - it's courtesy of my hubby - quite catchy dont you think? image

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to let you know how im getting on, increasing my run on Sunday to a whole 4.5 miles (I feel silly saying that reading what some of you people run !) but you have to start somewhere. Doing a race for life in maidstone next weekend and then gearing up for the British 10k in July - this heat kills me though, and it can be abit demoralising when you think you're getting somewhere and then the heat comes and wipes out all your good times but I will plod on.  have a good weekend everyone.

Donna

• We couldn't do our usuals runs last night because of the Windsor Horse Show getting in the way, so we decamped to Dorney Lake to do a trial run for The Dorney Dash. I just couldn't get going though at all, and stopped at halfway. I just felt tired and heavy legged, and my shins were hurting as well. Hope things pick up before the Marlow 5 on Sunday.
  • 2 days to go - forecast of 21 degrees and sunshine, but some on the Halstead thread have been talking about 25 degrees - ouch!

Still going to be aiming for sub 3:20 but a bit less confident now - not sure whether it's nerves or the thought of the heat when all my training has been early morning and so closer to 20 degrees Fahrenheit than centigrade.

Light couple of miles tomorrow morning then will watch Lorenzito #2 play in his first ever competitive football match before saying welcome to the world to my day old nephew.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

All the very best Lorenzo, hope all goes well and to plan.

Some new peeps on board, welcome one and all.

I have had a good week, foot still causing some alarm, but still no pain when running, so will carry on..... Alton 10m planned for Sunday so will be close to 35-40m for the week with a whole load of x trg too.... hoping to get this weight down and the hot weather is helping so far.... just dont like racing in the heat...!

Take care all

• Hope it's not too hot Lorenzo. Have a good one!

Welcome to all new people. You will find a wealth of support and advice on this thread.

I accidently agreed to run a fell race with a friend this week which was fun and will have done around 40 for the week tomorrow.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Alton 10m for me..... 2.5m and a calf tear / strain, put paid to that, so walked back.... now on the bench.

Well done CG

• Just back from Halstead - in a word, disaster!

Set off at 7.30/7.40 pace with the aim of getting 3:20 but never felt particularly comfortable and then the combination of the heat and the ups and downs (not exactly hilly, but enough undulations to make you feel them) got to me. At 17 miles, my legs were telling me they'd had enough already and then cramp set in. Ran / walked for between about 19 and 25 miles which put paid not only to 3:20 and sub 3:30 but anything remotely respectable. Managed to pick it up in the last mile but by then it was more about simply finishing and getting sub 4 than anything else. Made it back in about 3:57 which is my worst marathon performance bar the 3 Forts last year, but can honestly say I've not struggled as much in any run as I did today. Only consolation was that it was a lovely course, fantastically marshalled and the best organisation I've ever seen.

As you can imagine I'm very disappointed with this performance, not least because the training was going so well up to the taper. Looking back might have overtrained a bit with 7 or 8 20+runs since the new year, or maybe I didn't prepare enough for the heat. Might be time to try out the Camelback that my in-laws got me last year, but has anyone got any other hints as to how to avoid cramp (specifically calves) during a race?

About to go and have a bath and reflect on what next.

A depressed Lorenzo!

• PS : RFJ - aren't you a Fulham fan? You must be over the moon!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, firstly sorry to hear you did not get your goal, b ut well battled, it is such a great event and if not in FLM next year will be doing Halstead, but the weather is Hot there normally. Well done....

And YES I am a FULHAM fan...... one happy teddy (sorry AA - but you went down fighting with a big win)

Left calf now sore...........image

• Am now seriously considering South Downs Marathon (for the enjoyment, rather than the time) in a month's time and Abingdon in the autumn (in a bid to break the elusive 3:20).

Anyone else up for either of these?