FLM 2009

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your injury RFJ. Hope you aren't on the bench for long.

Lorenzo - Sounds like an epic battle which can only make you stronger. I know there is someone on the sub 3 thread who has had a lot of problems with cramp so may be worth asking on there although to be honest I don't think he has found a solution as yet. The heat must have been particularly hard as it has been so cold and you haven't had a chance to acclimatise. Plan the next campaign and take any lessons on board but don't forget to congratulate yourself on completing a marathon when others may not have battled on. Well done.

• CG - cheers for that. In hindsight I think there were 2 problems. Firstly I didn't adapt my race tactics to the conditions: aiming for a PB on an undulating course in hot weather was just plain daft and led me to go off too quickly - lesson learnt for next time. Secondly, looking through various websites, whilst it's clear there is no single reason for getting cramp, I suspect I was suffering from salt deficiency and would be worth looking at taking some sodium and / or potassium supplements in the days before the race. I'm not a big fan of taking supplements, but I'm even less of a fan of pulling up sharply with an excruciating pain in my calf!
  • Bad luck guys - tough conditions out there today as I discovered doing the Marlow 5. Finished in 33:38 which is a PB, but it was a slower pace than the Shinfield 10k last week - the heat just killed me. The fact my heartrate was still at 120 15 minutes after I finished says it all really.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done BOTF.

Lorenzo I am booked in already for Abingdon..... but wont be doing the south downs. Good analsys so soon after as well, and some very good points.

• Ran Prague marathon today, was blooming hot too and I forgot suntan lotion so sporting some very red patches!

Treated it as a LSR as Edinburgh in a fortnight, having said that ditto don't think I'd have done much better if tried to race, and wouldn't have enjoyed as much.  finished 4:01 and took in all the sights, ran over 4 or 5 bridges inc Charles Bridge which was great.  Found the underpasses wearing going up and down all the time, but the cobbles were OK.............  Great start in the Old Town Square.

Lorenzo - Sorry you didn't get that sub  3:20, it has so got your name on it, just not today..........

• BOFT - well done on a PB in the heat.

Smiffie - well done.  You need to rest now for Edinburgh.

RFJ - sorry to hear about the injury.

Lorenzo - what can I say!  I know how you feel when all the training was suggesting a cracking time.  The consolation you must take from this, is that you tried and gave 3 20 a good try.  That is how I feel about my marathon - I now feel that I am happy with 3 28 after going off too fast but at least I had a crack at sub 3 20 (well 3 15 in truth).  The same goes for you  - if you had done say 3 30 comfortably you would have kicked yourself that you didnt push yourself more for the 3 20 that you know you can do.  What I have learnt is that I know from my training that I am capable of 3 20 and I will get it some day when all the factors are right and after lots of experience.  If  you compare marathon running to other race distances, say 10ks or halfs, it takes loads of races before you finally get your race strategy right.  Have faith Lorenzo and learn from this one.

As for me - I did the Beverley 10k in +25C.  The heat was sapping.  My time was 43:50 which was about 2 mins down on what I was expecting, but comparing my time to other ladies I was well up on my peers.  I was only 30 secs behind a lady (who is 3 10 marathoner) that I am always 2 mins behind. so I am pleased - plus 1st ladies team and 2nd in my age group so £35 richer. 

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Will get x ray results back tomorrow too, but that may well lead to an MRI scan on my foot, still not 100% so will see where that goes..... lets face it Im just falling to bits..... left calf, right foot, no brain.... fat body....!

Well done in the conditions JD

• Lorenzo - unlucky. Every marathon we run we get a different experience. Next time will be different again- hopefully in a better way.

Smiffie - well done. Nice bit of sight-seeing too!! Did you fly home in your race kit again!!?

RFJ - sorry to hear about your injury. Thought of you yesterday. We had a great hour - all very exciting. Absolutely gutted by end. My poor lad went very quiet for a while - letting it all sink in. He's been a bit lucky though - I remember standing at Elm Park watching Division 3 football 0- least he's had a few years Premiership! 

Not too much running for me. I did Shinfield 10k last Monday 43.20 - think I was still pi$$ed from day before... far too much wine!

Did a lovely 9.5 miles cross country with my dog this morning.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Missed you then AA at Shinfiled, both BOTF and I were there.

I know what you mean regarding lower tier footie, I remeber being at the Cottage when we lost to Torquay 2-1, they were 92 in the league and we were 91st.... and about 1500 peeps in the ground....!! Hope Reading can come straight back up.

• LOL AA - I took baby wipes with me as had to have booked out of hotel again............. so change of clothes and baby wipes its the high life we lead!

Alchohol does good things for your running!  Hows the puppies, bet they're so much bigger already? (that sounds so wrong)

Good luck with Xray results RFJ, think I've got those last two injuries too image

JD - Sounds all to the good, especially as you were up on the usual competition faces, well done.

• Site says ballot closed

If so why cant the successful applicants know sooner than October ? Thats over 5 months away !

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well got the x ray results back, showed nothing too much othet than some general deteriation of the bones, So Doc wants a second opinion from the Fizzy before decing what to do next.... OK seems fair, till I go and book the fizzy appoint, have to wait till the 27 May.

Have been advised to stop running and all non impact gym work too, but am alowed to swim and do upperbody weights.......... not a happy teddy, so heres to piling on some weight unless I can stop eating........!

Off to find out swimming pool times......

• 3.30 - agree with you. It's barking mad!

RFJ - do you have to stop running until you've got the second opinion or is it beyond that? Hope it's not the latter - keeping fingers crossed for you.

• 2nd scan tonight, ultra-sound this time.

Still haven't run since FLM, going to need new trousers soon!

• Lorenzo

I am still coming back slowly from a severe case of  lazybastard - itus. Ran 5.5 miles one day then upped to 2 8 milers back to back. That was stupid, I have ran 4.5 today will be up to 5 during next week. Am doing the Wycombe half on 20/7 (week before I go for some warm weather training in Dominican) so had better get a spurt on ! Looking to be around 30-35 miles weeks by October time

RFJ - Good luck at the fizzy

• Hard luck RFJ - a bit of cross training is good.

I have just ordered a racing bike.  I am bit scared at the thought of how fast it will go.  the man in the shop said it has full Shimano 105 brakes and gears - didnt mean much to me, but said anyone in the know would be impressed.  I am now looking at duathlons!  there is one near me at end of July. 

• If I had the time to do the biking I'd like to do a duathlon at some point, but I'm not sure the wife would appreciate me spending even more time out exercising. For some reason she seems to like spending time with me. Strange woman!
  • Crikey - is this suddenly turning into a duathlon thread? If it is, count me in as I'd love to do one, so if anyone has any suggestions for one down south then please shout. The closest I've come was the excellent Rowers Revenge triathlon which had 4K on a rowing machine rather than a swimming leg, 25K on the bike and then 6K (I think) run. Tough, but great fun especially transitioning from the rowing machine to the bike! If anyone is near Marlow at the beginning of October, then I'd strongly recommend it.

JD - go for it. No idea whatsoever about the technical side of a bike, but it sure is interesting to switch the Garmin to cycling mode and seeing how fast you can go using pedal power!

My legs are still stiff from the weekend's exertions, but may try and get out for a couple of miles tomorrow morning. Still harbouring thoughts of the South Downs Marathon in a month's time.

• Did the first of the Thames Valley summer 5K series yesterday at Wargrave. Was aiming to try and break 20 minutes for the first time, and I was on schedule at 4k, but the final hill was just a bit too much and I ended up with 20:07 on my watch. Still a PB though by half a minute and a full minute faster than I did the same course last year. When we get to one of the flat courses I should get under 20 I think.
  • Got GFA application in post yesterday. 

On another planet after last night - sorry to all non football fans.  Wembley here we come - the premiership beckons!  The atmosphere was tense until we scored, then party time in the second half.  the mexican wave was a real spectacle and the pitch invasion was fun.  Cant wait now until next Saturday.

• JD - I'm not a diehard fan, but having studied in Bristol I have a soft spot for the Robins so might not be speaking to you post Saturday! Are you going to Wembley for the self styled "most lucrative game in football"?

5 and a half this morning and hope to get out on my bike for a bit of variety some time this weekend.

• Defo wembley.  Cant wait.  think I might fly along when I do my 8 x 500metres this afty.  Never done 500metres at intervals before, but that what it says on a half mara schedule that I am loosley following. 

Hull is buzzing!

• 6.65 with the club at 7:30 pace - a very pleasant run along the Jubilee and Thames rivers image

Rest now until the Staines 10k on Sunday.

• Some good running here, I was hoping to do the Staines 10k but my injury would never allow me, I knew that two months ago.

Now been three months without a run, it's so depressing.  The leg is getting better slowly, just the push off and impact landing that causes discomfort.   I really need to be running in 6 weeks  to have any chance of a 3:30 for NY in November, but I can't see it to be honest.  Makes it difficult coming on here reading about all the good times when I haven't managed a stride in anger since Feb!

• Right - Abingdon entered. 3:20 here I come!!!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Lorenzo, see you there all being well.

You must be realy pulling your hair out MF, Ive only been out a week so far and its driving me mad.....!

• RFJ and MF - Having been what you've been through and (hopefully) now coming out the other side, I really feel for you.

I ran the White Peak half today and feel like I am getting back some form at last. Wasn't an all out effort as I have some sort of lurgy but happy with 1:37 and a few seconds. My fifth fastest time ever and plenty left in the tank.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Great effort CG....

Still dont know whats wrong with my foot..... and it starting to bug me, and still another 10 days till I see the physio..... and thats only for a second opinion as Doc doesnt know what it is and wont send me for a MRI scan in case its a waste of money if there is nothing to show.....!

Off swimming in the morning all being well.

• CG - 1.37 on the back of feeling under the weather and (I suspect) not the flattest of courses. Sounds impressive to me!!

RFJ - fingers crossed things turn out OK

MF - I've not had the same kind of injury as you, but as someone who gets frustrated if they're not functioning on all 4 cylinders for any more than 24 hours, I can only multiply that by 100 times and imagine your frustration. Whatever you do, don't rush back too fast.