Options

Is this man a Fraud?

Comments

• Options
    Just to add some fuel to the fire - the 5k was ( whispers ) a Race for Life. I only mention this as a new thread has just sparked up about the merits or otherwise of this particular event ....
  • Options

Oh FFS not again, it happens every year!

• Options

Shall we take a vote:

1 - Shop him!

OR

2 - Let him be.

My vote is Shop Him!

---

Score so far: Shop him 1, Let him be 0

Check out my running blog at: My First Flora London Marathon
  • Options
    3 Egg him and chuck a bucket of water over him
  • Options
    Shop him 2, Let him be 0
  • Options
    Dress up as squirrels and mug him.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Let's do this properly: 1. Shop him - 22. Let him be - 03. Egg him and throw a bucket of water over him - 14. Dress up as squirrels and mug him. - 15. Pour a bucket of custard down the front of his trousers. - 1
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Bl~@dy formattingLet's do this properly: 1. Shop him - 2. 2. Let him be - 0. 3.Egg him and throw a bucket of water over him - 14. Dress up as squirrels and mug him. - 15. Pour a bucket of custard down the front of his trousers. - 1
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    AAAARGHLet's do this properly:
     1. Shop him - 3.
    2. Let him be - 0.
    3.Egg him and throw a bucket of water over him - 1
    4. Dress up as squirrels and mug him. - 1
    5. Pour a bucket of custard down the front of his trousers. - 1
  • Options

Been keeping up with this thread over the past few days and although memory does not serve me that well, I would agree with others that 'Tommy' has previous form in this area. A couple of years ago I was plodding along at the Great Scottish Run, having started at the back of the 1st group after the elite runners, was about 3 miles in and there was this guy with a collecting bucket dressed as a centurian, noticed he had 'Support Tommy' or similar printed on a piece of paper on the front of his bucket. Thought it a bit odd as I hadnt seen him at the start, assumed he must have started with the sub 1hr 30 runners, which seemed a bit strange for a guy dressed in fancy dress collecting money, and obviously pottering along not bothered about his time....

Anyhow, it was a hot year, knackered by mile 11, pushing it out hard to the finish, blinking through sweat in my eyes, and low and behold there he is again in front of me, pottering along by the side of the road chatting to the crowd! Now it was one of those moments where later you think, did I really see that? And obviously I have no proof (as I say, memory a bit faded!), but I kind of did a double take, thought 'nah thats not possible' and carried on to the finish.

I have passed him again in subsequent years races and I probably notice him more now because of what I thought I saw before, last year I had suspicion that he started in the 10K in Glasgow and joined into the Half Marathon course because of how far ahead of the pack he was before my group went shooting past him. If he really is doing this and its not just my brain going 'hang on thats not possible!' then he is making a mockery of all those people who train hard and set out to complete a challenge, as well as those who collect charity money by running, not to mention its against athletics assoc rules to change a running number / enter unofficially / change race half way through / jump in a car etc! I wonder how long this has been going on for, and how many race officials / charity officials have noticed?

• Options

They guy is fraud.

End of story.

I say "Hang 'im".

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Surely he must be pied first though.
  • Options

Hmmm, if this doesn't get sorted out, then pieing him as he sneaks into some tube station sounds like a very good idea!  I do have a gorrilla suit actually...

Maybe we could get people to sponsor us for pieing him.

• Options

Well, I'm not entering the GSR this year, due to clashes with other runs, but will be tempted to follow the route through the Southside on my mountain bike, digital camera at the ready for any dodgy centurians jumping in and out of cars with bucket loads of money image. The traffic follows the route pretty much the whole way apart from through Pollok Park and Bellahouston, the rest is open to cars.

In the meantime I say Pie the Bam.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Someone could always ask him.

It looks from the RW events listings as though he organises the Inverclyde 5k Santa Dash - his email address is listed too......
  • Options

Right ..... here we go!

Shop him - 4
    Let him be - 0.
    Egg him and throw a bucket of water over him - 1
    Dress up as squirrels and mug him. - 1
    Pour a bucket of custard down the front of his trousers. - 1
    Hang 'im - 1

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Nice one joddly. That satisfies me that he is a genuine fundraiser.

I've always wanted to pie someone though 

• Options
    joddly wrote (see)
    Someone could always ask him. It looks from the RW events listings as though he organises the Inverclyde 5k Santa Dash - his email address is listed too......
    Stop being sensible! I'll never get the chance to wear a squirrel suit at this rate. image
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

make sure you dress up as a red squirrel or you might get culled

Shop him - 4
    Let him be - 0.
    Egg him and throw a bucket of water over him - 1
    Dress up as squirrels and mug him. - 1
    Pour a bucket of custard down the front of his trousers. - 1
    Hang 'im - 1
    Ask him to justify his actions - 1

• Options

Can't believe this thread is still going!  It's a sad state of affairs when an old guy thinks he is doing something positive yet people want him barred from the race and/or the police involved because he probably hasn't the ability to get round the whole course.  Surely a more sensible and calm way to deal with the situation would be for a member of the lynch mob to calmly e-mail him directly (or ask his charity to pass on a message) explaining that what he is doing may be seen as wrong?  Maybe he'll see things from your point of view, apologise, and do his next event in full for a charity of your choice?  If not then maybe you can think about stronger action?

(He's still a clown so pie attacks are fine).

• Options
    You're only whipping up the coulrophobic frenzy, Jake.

Pie him, then slice him into little shreds of clown meat.
  • Options

My biggest problem is that this should be investigated because if someone is dishonest enough to cheat in the marathon and convince all those people he is running year after year then I find it very debatable whether he is honest enough with the money he raises........

I sincerely hope that he is because I hate to think of people raising money for charity and pocketing it......

But I can't give him the benefit of the doubt because his behaviour has been so disahonest

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Here are the official photos. Strangely there don't seem to be any on Tower bridge. Also one in mufti trying to steal Dorando's cup image. Never trust a clown.
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I'm not over concerned about him not doing the full course. He raises money, I'm certain now that the money goes to charity but I still want to pie someone.
  • Options
    Rowan Green (my 100 mile challenge: http://www.justgiving.com/stroke100) wrote (see)

Hmmm, if this doesn't get sorted out, then pieing him as he sneaks into some tube station sounds like a very good idea!  I do have a gorrilla suit actually...

Maybe we could get people to sponsor us for pieing him.

Only if you do a full pieing and dont miss the middle 2/3s out..
  • Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Does for me thanks Buney.

Can I pie you please? 

• Options
    Buney wrote (see)
    does this answer all the questions?

Hmmm - does he really seem to be the sort of guy who deserves all the criticism he has received on here?  I knew he did a lot for charity up here but I didn't realise he raised so much for different charities.  Stiil, he can't complete 26.2 miles so the guys a cheating loser that shouldn't be allowed to enter another event, eh?

(FF - you can still pie him!)

• Options
    fat facefat face ✭✭✭

He can enter as many events as he wants Jake. He's genuine so that's good enough for me.

Does Coops want pieing?