Options

benign parathyroid tumour...

Comments

• Options

The locks on the loos weren't working in this ward. I was interrupted twice.

It's really annoying, you're feeling at your worst, and to have a member of the opposite sex wander in on you while washing is just awful (for both people). I can see that the staff need to be able to get in if there's any problems, but to disable locks is not the answer. Maybe a shower cubicle & loo within each bay would help?

• Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Surely locks that can be undone with a key would be better.  Then no-one would wander in by accident.

Anyway, glad to hear you're improving.  

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

locks didn't work on most of the bathrooms where i was....not sure my solution was an ideal one though - get c.diff and get a bathroom reserved for your use only and i got lucky and had one with a working lock!

glad you're getting out and about and good luck with having the first batch of staples out tomorrow.

• Options

Everyone in my household walks with a slight limp due to having one leg marginally bigger than the other because dad did not agree with locked doors in his house - the result... the foot against the door s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d from the lavvy

Good luck Kwilter - I don't post on here much but have followed your story from the beginning... the very best to you!

• Options

LOL Corinth, and thanks!

Just back from gettiing half the stitches out. Not nice, but I enjoyed the walk to and from the GP.

• Options
    is your head still on?
  • Options
    Just about, but I've not sneezed yet. image
  • Options

Stay away from the pepper grinder!

Same as Corinth here, have only posted a couple of times but noticed your new name yesterday over on another thread and came over to see what was new.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery from the surgery and fingers crossed for a totally positive outcome. 

• Options
    There has been a big push here to install single sex toilet/bath facilities
  • Options

I've just opened the appointment for my follow up...my mother in law's birthday, April 6th.

Back in from lunch out with a forumite, and I've had 3 cards delivered today, so thank you all for those and the ones I've had earlier.

Everything seems to be getting better and less painful each day, but my neck and shoulder are still a bit stiff. Hopefully once the second half of the stitches are out later today that'll improve as well.

• Options
    Glad to hear all is going well, take care and don't rush things.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of getting a tattoo done when it's all healed? You could have a bolt at each end of the scar image
  • Options

Thank you, I'm not getting a tattoo...yet image

Didn't get all the stitches out on Friday, but got the last few out this morning instead. Everything's healing nicely, which is great, I was worried that I'd be left with a huge red scar across my neck. It looks like it's going to heal into a fine line if the other two scars are anything to judge by. The vertical part of the scar goes behind my right ear and is hidden by my hair.

The main side effect I'm having now is numbness in my shoulder and ear, stiffness and restricted movement in my shoulder and very tight skin around my neck. I'm off to see the consultant next Tuesday, so I'll ask first how long this will last for and secondly if he might refer me for physio.

Does anyone think I should be signed off from all domestic duties, specifically ironing for a while longer?

• Options
    Everyone'll just think you had a face-lift....
  • Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Kwilter - I have the same numbness, stiffness and tightness of skin around my scar too.....it's just over 4 weeks since my op and it is improving slowly but still there. I had a massage today as part of my spa day and even though the therapist didn't massage my shoulder or neck very much, it has certainly helped loosen my shoulder a bit and i have slightly more movement than before.
  • Options
    BB ✭✭✭

Glad you are healng well kwilter. I for one defnitiely think you should be signed off all domestic duties you don't want to do for...probably about a year or so ..I can provide a certifcate to this effect if it helpsimage

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    oooh can I have one too please B? image
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    I think ironing is particularly contra-indicated in your case, Kwilter. My recommendation would be that you should be waited on hand and foot, 24/7, for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Being signed off from domestic duties should be a given.  x
  • Options
    Excellent, I'll point Rattler in this direction when he gets home. I've unloaded the washing machine and put the damp clothes on the airer, and I've got to pick up some milk & potatoes later but that's it for domestics today.
  • Options

Kwilter I was thinking about you today and wondering how you're progressing.  Any news on the appt to get 'results' yet?

I'm glad the stitch removal went well and you really are healing beautifully superficially but don't be fooled into thinking the rest of it is as straightforward - I'm sure they had a good rummage around in there and you need time to fully repair

• Options

I've been signed off for another week, and the note finishes when I see the consultant, so he'll be able to do me one for longer if I need it.

From what nurse L has said, "they" have a head and neck case conference on Thursdays, so I'll probably have been discussed last week, as my review appointment is next Tuesday. I'm hoping he'll say "we removed X lymph nodes from places a, b and c, and X-n showed mets. This is all we need to do now excpet a thyroglobulin test in June, so we'll hand you back to nuclear medicine/oncology for that and you just need 3 monthly follow ups from now on"

I've still got the numbness in my ear/neck/shoulder, and sometimes I'm getting a burning/stabbing pain along the scar, especially if clothing is brushing it for long. The swelling is going down almost daily, and as an added bonus, my dodgy toe isn't troubling me at all with all the voltarol I'm taking. (remembers it's time for the next dose)

• Options

Eyup Kwilter

I have previously lurked on this thread because I've come across you on other threads (and I noted your change of forum name), but felt odd about posting as I haven't done so already (if that makes sense).

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi and send you my best wishes and hugs if you want them.  ((( )))  Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and positive outcome.

Lady P xx

• Options

Thank you Lady P x

All hugs welcome

• Options

((Kwilter))

Much the same as Lady P said.  Have lurked on this thread from time to time but have never posted directly,

Hugs to both you and Rattler and all the best for a speedy recovery. 

• Options

Wibbling big style today as I'm off to see the surgeon for his verdict in an hour. I suppose I should get dressed...

I need to remember to ask about a sick note for work and a referral to physio as my neck and shoulder are still very stiff.

• Options
    UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭

((((Kwilter))))) Hope it goes well x

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    ditto what the cats ^^ said xx