South Downs Relay

SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
I've never done it before but am having a go with the club this year.  I've got legs 4, 10 and 16.  What are they like?

Comments

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    Blimy, someones gotta be doing it, its a team relay with 6 people in each team, I'm not running it all on my ownsome
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    Our club has three teams doing it - I've never down the actual relay but I haved run a couple of the legs. From what I've heard of the event itself, you'll have a ball!
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping our team hasn't got a 6 oclock start, I'm not a morning personimage
  • UltraCasUltraCas ✭✭✭
    At least doing leg 4 you'll be able to have a sniize in the bus before it gets to your turn to run!
  • Hi Sunluvva - this really is a fantasic event, exhausting but great fun and great scenery.

The one really important thing is you do need to reccy the legs in advance, all of yours have some complexities. I have done each of these in my time, but some a few years ago but I hope my memories are accurate.

Leg 4 from Itford Farm to the A27, is about 7.5 miles. The first mile after you cross the river is a bit confusing before you start climbing up the downs. There is a very long slog up the 'Yellow Brick Road' (a straight concrete farm track), and the turning where you cut down from the top of the downs is easy to miss. This is the longest and hardest of your legs, but glorious views from the top, and there is usually a refreshment van at the lay-by where you finish where you can buy tea and a bacon sandwich.

Leg 10 is half the length and mostly downhill - nice. The way through the village and across the river isnt immediately obvious so needs to be reccied. Also, the last half mile along the river is flat and in view of your team mates so no slacking!

Leg 16 from the Sustainability Centre to Old Winchester Hill is a lovely, gently undulating run except for a bugger of a hill half a mile before the end, and team mates often come and stand at the top to watch you.

There are some maps and details on the site http://www.southdownsrelay.co.uk/index.htm

I'm sure you will love this event. I am looking forward to it. Still waiting for my leg allocation though.

(ps 6 o'clock is the late shift for this one!)

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    Sounds lovely skip, i'll have to get some maps and just get down there and run the legs.  It'll be good to get some quality hill training in.