Options

Sunday 20th April

Comments

• Options

Yep you could still treat it as a long training run, practising fuelling, pacing etc, enjoy the event and then reset your sights for later in the year.

I hear they have a good marathon in Nottingham in Sept you may enjoy...

• Options
    4.16 was my target to beat this year at London FL, when you are in the right shape it should be easy for you!
  • Options

((FL)) can you stomach some peppermint tea?

It's absolutely throwing it down here - the sky just went black and the rain came down! Thunder and lightning next. I guess I'll be riding inside...

• Options

Did you beat it, AJH? Mine was a debacle in 2002 as a result of bad training, eating, pacing and preparation!

BR - yes, I've got that idea in mind; as a practice for the real event..... there could always be Leciester in October instead (blimey, I must be ill if I'm having ideas about more marathons when I haven't tackled my second one yet)!

• Options
    Yep, got peppermint tea, might give that a go - so far, I'm craving ginger biscuits, ginger beer and apples - not exactly massive carb loading, but the next best thing as the body seems to want these foods!
  • Options

I think there's a marathon at Abingdon in October tooimage

I didn't read good things about Leicester last year.

• Options

BR, you could try my game and get a train to somewhere and run back.

20mins, have you tried what blisters calls his "paulas' ie Nike Zoom Air Marathoner.  I really like them as not too light racers

clink, your phrase 'this century PB' has a  nice ring to it; might have to use it myself sometime, if I have occassion toimage; could even be 'this millenium PB"

20mins/NN are you the race organizers ? If so you could staple some chicken wire to the boards to stop them being slippery

IM, sounds like you are well sorted with your plan to stay in the States, so I'm sure it will work out

FL, you'll have to wait till you've been able to eat properly for a few days before you attempt a decent run.  Ginger is excellent for queasy stomachs. You could try ginger tea, too

What: got up early and went to support mates doing a very local 5k.  I felt so virtuous getting out of bed at 8.30 on a non-race Sunday.  And it was worth it !  As well as getting in some miles, jogging down there, around the course a bit, and home again, I won a wonderful raffle prize, a bit hamper of all sorts of 'not good for me' goodies.image   Two of my mates were first and second women so I thought I'd better stay and watch them getting their prizes, and while we were waiting spend the odd  pound coins on a cup of tea and a raffle ticket.  My early morning diligence rewarded image
    So; 9ml gentle jogging;  later: at least 6ml (to get to 100 for the week, up to 14ml (200 over 2 weeks)

• Options
    Hmm, yes, I think I heard that too. There's also Mablethorpe. Abingdon is a bit far for me though; pity!
  • Options
    TmR - nice weekly mileage (and over 2 weeks too) for you, well done for getting out this morning!
  • Options

TmR - Hilly's just had me go on the LDWA website and is worrying close into talking me into some sort of 32 mile event along the Dorset coast.

FL - it's less than 3 hours from Barnsley - nearer than Edinburgh!

• Options
    Yes, but I'm on half term when Edinburgh is on. Abingdon is not.
  • Options

TMR
    Yes, I've thought of the Nikes
    I used to be RD for our 10K, now I just lay the course out.  Chicken mesh could work, but we're trying to make the solution safer & lighter to handle than what we have now - that would move us in the opposite direction.

• Options

FL - sorry you are still not feeling well - hope you recover soon.

Well, Highworth 5M race now over and done for another year.  For the second year on the trot, my Garmin reckoned it was actually only 4.96 miles.  If that happened once, I'd blame the Garmin, but twice and I start to wonder...

It went reasonably well and I'm happy with the time I did.  Course profile on this one is important in understanding the splits.  It's basically 1M flat, 1.5M gently downhill, 1.5M flat, 0.5M steeply uphill, 0.5M flat to the finish.  So, this means it's very quick apart from the first part of the fourth mile.

My splits were as follows:

Mile 1 : 7.13 - feeling good and a comfortable start
    Mile 2 : 7.10 - slightly downhill, but conscious of the climb to come - not pushing
    Mile 3 : 7.10 - ditto
    Mile 4 : 7.27 - not sure what happened here - felt OK but was probably scared of the next mile
    Mile 5 : 7.38 - pleased with this as previous years have had a 1 minute slow down on this mile

So, mile 4 is a bit of a mystery, but mile 5 is pretty encouraging.  Final time was 36.20 on watch - will be about 36.30 in official results.  Average pace of 7.20 is very pleasing.

Have a good day.  Back later to read any other race reports that come in.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done SQG, seems a good race.

Just back from 10m (1:26:12) legs were a bit on the tired side, but Jnr kept me company for the first 4m which was nice.

Take care

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

SGQ - Well done on your race today.

RFJ - Nice running not surprised legs are tired,Well done to you and Junior yesterday

Will catch up on the others later.

What: 6 miles @ 62% WHR
    Why: Getting back into the routine
    Last Hard: 1 week ago

Lyrics: oh yes

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SGQ

I finished my chores and donned the trainers - the blood stains brought it all back.

Approx 5M felt ok but my legs are still MASHED, tight quads, hammies and calves (probably from the cramps whilst swimming).

What a lightweight. I always suffer after races, guess its cos I race rarely, do speedwork rarely, and then start wrting cheques (in races) that my body struggles to cash.
  • Options

Hello

IM - good PB - well fought through to the end. Also glad to hear you are enjoying the US life. What do you teach out there? (Excuse my ignorance - from the few americans I know I'm assuming Harold Wilson isn't top of the syllabus out there). Are you coming back at all? Will we see you in Bala again? Questions... questions... questions...

RFJ - eeek - he's fast - do *not* bring Jnr to the TT ever again.

Well run sgq

Sorry to anyone else I missed....

• What: 101 miles on the bike (just under 7 hours)
    • Why: why?

I'm off for a lie down 

• Options

Afternoon all,

A tired and emotional Trini checking in..

What: Completed the 24/12 run. 55.2 miles from 8pm to 06:51am, - 10hr 51mins.

Why: just had to do it.

Last hard 3am to 4am this morning

Lyrics: Yep, still on a roll.

Of to get some shut eye, will post a report later, and read back.

Have a good one

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Some good racing and training happening, well done to everyone. Hope Trini is hanging in there.

31.25 mile race yesterday.
    Gobi - 1
    Sporta - 0

Finished in around 4:35 BUT, it was hot, around 30 degrees when I finished and up to 32 degrees 30 minutes later. It takes a good mixture of courage and stupidy to hang around in those conditions.
    It was a well controlled run and I felt strong at the finish. Good day on the road. Irma ran well in a hilly offroad half.

For today:
    What: Just under 10 miles at 6AM.
    Why: Running tired
    Last hard: It was a good weekend.
    Lyrics: Nope
  • Options
    brillaint sports and trini
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Well done Trini & Sporta.
    Nice Run too, M, remember those kiwi runners from my youth (and showing my age).
    RFJ: thinbk I must have my events mixed up, found the flyer for yesterday, and as you say, not 'vet' specific. Now where is that vet track meet I found details of???

Today : shopping with my ladies, spot of gardening and 8 miles easy recovery over in the fields in ~64mins.

Enjoy whats left of the weekend

• Options

Evening all,

Sorry about not posting the past few days, have had a complete nightmare time with my PC! I installed PC Guard from Virginmedia, as I decided against another subscription to nortons, mainly as this PC is cart horse and im getting a newer model in the next few months. PC Guard decided to completly freeze my system to the point I could not even uninstall the program, until I lucky managed to get the software off my computer this afternoon by a miracle! grrrrrrr image

Saturdays hill session went fairy well, 8-reps with jog back recoveries, other than a load of dogs to avoid I felt stronger than last week.

Today I ran 11.25miles multi-terrain up the north downs and pilgrims way with 3-other runners, this went well too, I did struggle on the verticle incline up the downs, but this I expected anyway due to the right leg still not being 100% back to full strength, good run though really enjoyable and clicked away the miles very nicely, plenty left at the end as well.

What:

am: 11.25mile multi-terrain hilly route. (7:34mm) ran with a mix of runners from IEK, Blackheath & Bromley and also Ashford AC.

Why:

Aerobic endurance and 2nd Long run after injury lay off.

I was half tempted to do a autumn marathon myself to attempt a elite start for FLM 2009, but to be honest I have doubts I could actually get meself fit enough to attempt the time by this autumn, I could probably get under 3hrs fairly easily which would mean gfa start, but this is the Green start and I heard bad things about the start this year, where as the ballot entry would put me on the Blue start and I know from 2004, so long as I started in zone 1, then I would not get held up that much. Whats your view guys?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Micksta

green start was ok last year. Yeah the celebs are a pain but we still ran 6.45 6.30 6.30 for the first 3 miles last year.

regards

G
  • Options

Micksta - there's also the sub 75 HM route.

Well raced SGQ.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Micksta

I stood fairly well back in blue pen 1, and I was over the line in about 12 seconds. I ran a slowish first mile (7:01 - my watch) - but that was mainly my choice, after that I picked the pace up and had no problems.

Sounds like the green was worse than that. If I go back next year - I'll have to use the green start. But would happily use the blue again.
  • Options

M. - big weekend, 3 mile race followed up by a tough half marathon into the wind! Looks like your Nelson half is looking good. Dick Quax was one of NZ's  the big 3 - Walker, Quax and Dixon. Walker ruled the mile - ran 100 sub 4 min miles. Quax - 5,000m and could run a good marathon, and Dixon ran brilliantly from the 1500m through to the marathon. Dic Quax organised the women's 8km race I did the other day.

Quax also coached - Lorraine Moller being one of the people he helped.

TMR - you've been doing enough training to indulge in that basket of goodies you won.

SGQ - sounds like you had a good race.

Holly - I think you deserve and lie down, also Trini and Sporta - amazing stuff guys!

What: Went to the orienteering in the Waiuku forest. Arrived a bit late so ran my 8 year old gdaughter up to the start, as she had the first start out of our family. Son was off next, then husband and 11 year old gdaughter had quite a wait for her start. Once they were all gone, jogged back to finish to see 8 year old already finished and playing with the other girls that she had competed against, so went for a half hour jog in the forest. Felt surprisingly good. They were all finishers, with lots of stories to tell. You think we can talk about running. You should hear orienteers talk about their events. Their route choices, their frustrations etc. Had a very nice day out with the family -  nice to know I'd done a long run the day before.

Good running everyone. 

• Options
    TR - not with the 2.4x you're about to run at Abingdon you won't.  Fluffy toilets for you...image
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done SGQ on your race.

Trini and Sportaloo - nice running

I'm happy with today's training I did 12 miles this morning at a good steady pace, then went out and did 3 miles this afternoon followed by 40 mins of core, upper body and strength work.  Ended with a nice stretch and a good dinner image

• Options

Som bloody good ultra runs and races done this weekend, well done to the lot of you!

Micksta - regarding your marathon hopes, there's a saying about not counting chickens before they hatch. Not that I want to be the one who waters down your bonfire, but you were only just in front of me at the National XC this Feb and we were both 'taking it easy'. I've come a long way since then but it's been a combination of factors like walking around slowly like a tourist in Prague causing me to get injured and a tummy bug that have laid me low for the last 3 weeks, therefore scuppering my Edinburgh plans. Pick your marathon for a long way off in the future and dedicate your time to base building and leg strengthening before you get any ideas.

Then again, I could all be wrong as my marathon plans have sort of fallen over somewhat.....

• Options

Trini and Sportaloo - good running.

Thanks for the congrats etc., although I feel a bit of cheat as, on reflection, I don't think I put as much effort into today's run as I could have.  I suppose that posting a time like I did is rather encouraging on that basis, but I feel like I should have tried harder.

In a feat of good organisation and efficiency, Highworth Running Club have already posted the results.  Apparently, I came 117 out of 434 finishers.  That's almost into the top quarter - I've never come close to that before!!!  If I'd run 15 seconds quicker, I'd have reached that landmark!

On reflection, I ran a pretty good time without trying too hard, which is encouraging when I think about the Tewkesbury Half in 3 weeks.  I was comfortable getting to the 4M mark at 7.12 pace and could have kept going at that speed if it wasn't for the big hill that got in the way.  Even then, I finished at well under 10k PB pace.  On a flat course, who knows what I could have done?