Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Hi all ...... Ran this one in 2005 + 2006 and have to say it's one of my favourite Half Marathons.

Great value ( t-shirt + medal ) and  Boy!!!!! do you earn them.

Views are superb...... running along the bridge, seeing the water below is great. The hill at 9miles....... well i can only say head down, don't stop get to the top and a nice downhill to recover.

Missed this last year to enter another event  but if you want to test yourself this is a tough one but well worth the effort.

I will be here this year and hope to see you all there, one " Not to be missed "

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo........ who's up for this one ?image

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Hi Cybor.

I have entered this one too. Not run it before but liked the idea of going over the bridge. Makes the race a bit different to the normal ones. I am hoping to be in shape to bag myself a time under 1 hour 30 mins. We shall see how that prediction goes......

• I have entered this one, had a place for last years race but injury prevented me from crossing the bridge so really looking forward to it, just hope the hill is not as bad as I have read, will just turn up the music and battle on .

Better get a bit of hill work in before June

• I like unusual road races so have entered this one too.  First one after my first full mara (Edinburgh next month) which I was a bit nervous about (could have picked a flat one instead!) but got a couple of 10ks in between Ed and Humber, so hopefully should be halfway recovered by then!

Will try to take in the superb views along the way, thanks for the "heads-up" on that Cybor! image

• up for this...

it will be my first half after edinburgh but the drive from glasgow should be worth it

• The hill is awful! Did this last year and really enjoyed it. Might be there this year but don't get back from two weeks hols until 24th so might not be a good idea!
  • alright peeps ..whats the story of this hill,please supply details
  • It's just not very pleasant!! But it's do-able. Just take it steady. It starts at about nine miles ish I think as you approach the bridge to go back over. Just goes on a bit really!!
  • Hi,

I did this last year as my first half and had been given plenty of advice on how to tackle the huge hill at 9 miles.  Because I was prepared for it I didn't find it too bad - I made it up all in one go unlike so many other people who were walking up it.  I will be entering again this year.  image

• I think the locals call it "Heartbreak hill" but i may be wrong image

I also believe it is a Full one mile hill,

You won't run fast up it...... but what a great feeling when it tops out.

It's not my local half  ( Sheffield is) but this really is a great run and one you will be

proud to have completed.  

When you catch a view of the bridge on the way home( last 2 miles ) you get to understand the size of this bridge. 

Enjoy......... 

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Blimey, thats a challenge and a half at 9 miles. A whole mile uphill. But i would imagine its quite inspiring if you pace it right and pick people off as you run up it???
  • I see a couple of Humber Halfs are doing Edinburgh.

I have had to pull out due to injury so if anyone would like a FREE return ticket to Edinburgh leaving York on Friday 24 May and returning Monday 26 May then just let me know and you can have them.

Enjoy Edinburgh 

• I'll be at Edinburgh and then doing this.  The Humber half was one of my slower halves last year in 1h50.  It was a bit warmer than other times I've run and the hills didn't help - first one ws fine with the water station at the top (cups) whereas I walked/ran the second rather slowly.  At least after that it goes downhill a bit before last mile or so over the bridge (keep an eye out for the photographer 100m or so from the end of the bridge when running back, Hull side - got a nice enough photo there!)

Little bit congested at the start, but variable scenery.......built up area, bridge, built up area, countryside etc.

Nice enough medal although no date on it so could have been a job lot from previous years?  The ink on the ribbon also came off quite a bit whilst being worn around my sweaty neck, so be careful there.

• If i remember correctly ( i think it was this one ) in 2006 they put the water bottles out the night before at the station points and some went missing that night image
  • My third time at this one, wont mention what happened the first time ha ha. But i love it, and im one who hates hills but its a great race and a fab challenge, the "killer hill" is a bitch but when at the top its all down hill to the bridge........ tho beware going back over the bridge...... thats a climb too and goes on for a bit. Atmosphere is good with big ish crowds at the finish.

• I'm one who hates hills too, but having just done the Sheff half yesterday I'm on the look out for another race and it seems to be slim pickings in the north until September time so I might just have to get myself registered for this!

A full on one mile hill....towards the end....sounds hellish, but guess I have time to get some detested hill work in so no excuse!

• Is there a course profile for this anywhere?  All the races I'm lining up over the next few months seem to have big hills in them.  Bring 'em on (he says meekly)
  • Hi all! Looking forward to welcoming you all again this year.  "Cardiac Hill" for your info is 0.98 miles long and climbs 200 feet before you start the run back to the bridge.  Sorry to hear the ribon smudged Scott - we'll have to check that. We'll try and work on the weather!

Grumps - Rotary Club of Hull. 

• I'm tempted by this one. I do say that every year, I must admit. If I'm not on holiday, I'll do it. And I should know in the next few weeks image
  • looks like this might be a good one but not shure about the hill ,did sheffield but that is flatish want another half but no local  till september  
  • Thanks for the info on "Cardiac Hill" Grumps, looking forward to it.as i have said before...... have run it twice and always enjoy this friendly event.

I will get my hill training in this Sunday at Eyam Half so should be ready at 9 miles to take it onimage

Get Ya entry forms in people...... you won't regret it image

Enjoy 

• I liked this, unitl mile 9

• Hips - are you going to come along this year? Mr & Mrs and Little HTA will be there. (also are you doing Anglesey this year?)
  • Just completed my first Eyam Half.... Very Tough but i felt strong in the legs so i'm now ready to start training for the The Humber Half image ........ Lets have that hill at 9milesimage
  • Is anyone driving from the Sheffield area over to this race who could offer me a lift?  I made the assumption that the trains start early enough to get me there and now I've checked I find that they don't.
  • Hi Barry,  I've already gor a car full but if any of my group drops out i will give you a shout.

• Stagecoach used to do a service to hull called the 505 don't know if still on but worth a check.

• did this 2 years ago as my best friend lives in area.  Havent really done enough training but still tempted as i'm over that weekend anyway and will only wish i was half way up Gravel Pit (thats the hill at 9 miles)!!  Does anyone know if time limit? Probably looking at 2h 30 - 3 hours.

I thought the climb back onto the bridge was worse than Gravel Pit by the way!!! I was prepared for Gravel Pit but not the slip road and half way across the bridge after it image 

• oh god...... dont mention the return trip over the bridge ha ha

• What have we let our selves in for? New personal worsts?