Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Well, unless its your first ever half marathon........ dont think youll be PB'ing. Ha ha, altough im aiming to beat my time from last year, which i should do cos i didnt push hard enough last year and was a bit timid on the climb.
  • Well had 2 personal worsts at the start of the year so hopefully it wont be that bad !
  • Hi David Robertson5...... Hope you don't mind me asking but a ran the Humber in 2005 ( VERY, VERY HOT)

There was alot of people down that year with the heat ( alot on the bridge ) Was you one of them?

I only ask  as you seem to mention "The return over the bridge" ( Hope you don't mind me asking )

• hi cybor..... not 2005, in 2006 after i finished and got me medal, i ended up in hospital. my own fault though because i was ill before i started so hadnt been drinking or eating before hand...... st johns folk were spot on.
  • Glad to hear you all like our testing course - over 1000 runners registered already! image

There is no time limit, but we do have a sweep coach which collects those who are in difficulties or checks if they wan't to finish.  St. John Ambulance are around the course and full radio contacts are maintained. 

It's not that bad - but it is testing and you need to take thing steady.  See you on the day!

Incidentally the date for 2009 has been provisionally fixed for Sunday 21st. June.

Have a great day! 

Grumps - Rotary Club of Hull image

• 1000 already, that's great.

Looking forward to it and will register soon. 

• This was my first Half and first race last year, the hill at 9 mile was tough but found the return over the bridge harder, Lot better shape this year and looking forward to see if there as been any inprovement.

It was run last year on the day before the rains came...... we shall see!!!!!

Nice run.

• Has anybody who has done this race also got experience of The Liversedge Half? Wanted to see how the two compared...ie how similar is the hilly element?!
  • Just done the Edinburgh Marathon and doing this race also. The hill worrys me a little!

I have done a route plan on mapmyrun that gives the profile so if you want to have a look  please have a look at the following link:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/kingston-upon-hull/244071184760

Click on the elevation tick box. It looks scary!!!! 

Best of luck!!!

• Just did the Edinburgh mara too Micky image  survived that strong headwind for the first half, the sandblasting around mile 6 and the (short but not sweet) uphill gravel section at mile 17 ... but not the relentless sun I'm afraid.  Maybe my 3rd degree burns will have calmed down by the time I do the Humber Half image.  How did you get on?

Not sure how my sore IT bands will take those scary looking Humber Half hills image but am training up for another mara in Sept so will be good hill work at least!!

• Hi SlowlyButShirley,

It was my very first marathon so didn't know what to expect. I could have done without the headwind though! Everything was going to plan time wise until about mile 16 then I think I had a touch of runners knee and ended up hobbbling the rest of the way round image! I ended up having to walk up the gravel section and I had some nice tan lines...

My split indicated that I may have hit my target time if my knee hadn't decided otherwise. But it hasn't detered me, I thinking of doing the Dublin marathon at the end of October and I'm confident that providing me knee holds out I can improve my time!!!!!

Knee seems to be ok now though after a day of not being able to walk!! I'm getting some hill work in as well starting from next week!!!!

• Hi  image Just entered online. I've wanted to run across this bridge for years and this year I will - twice, obviously!

It'll be part of my build up for a marathon in Denmark in September. Ran 17½M this morning so no worries about the distance image

Looking forward to it Lots  image

• thanks for the map Micky does look a bit scary
  • Its a cracking course, and although there are a few undulations, you see more people struggling back over the bridge than on any other part of the course, so save a little for the last 2 miles. The bridge is much longer than you think!
  • ESES ✭✭✭
    Has anybody who has done this race also got experience of The Liversedge Half? Wanted to see how the two compared...ie how similar is the hilly element?!I would suggest that of the 2, the Liversedge Half is slightly hillier overall, although the hill here at 9 miles is a toughy!!!
  • Hello

Does anyone know when final information/numbers are being sent out?

• Hello

First time for entering this one - done Sheffield, Worksop and Great North - is the hill really a killer???

Normally do 1hr 50ish - take it that will be a push

• The hill is a nasty, but the bridge back is up hill for 2/3rds of the way, and that is were you see people standing still and not looking too well.

If you ran this in the winter you wouldn't think twice about it, but this race is notorious for the heat. Last year was the first coolish day it has been run on that I can remember. to make matters worse the water is handed out in cups which is poxy.

Do pack sunscreen and a hat! 

• Number and information has arrived so now all I need is to avoid injuries and enjoy the run over the humber bridge
  • A very fair expectation Jane, summed it up nicely! image ... sounds like the first run over the Humber Bridge will be more enjoyable than the second trip back over it though image, following "that hill"!!  So, will make the most of the early part of the run I think and appreciate the uniqueness of this race at that point!!  Something tells me I won't care so much how unique it is once I'm into the last 3 miles ... image

Micky ... hope you've recovered well from Edinburgh now and that your knee has continued to hold with all that hill training you've been doing recently!  I must get some more hill training in too before this Half (not done any since before Edinburgh), else a few parts of the course are going to come as a real shock - even if I am psychologically prepared for them at least!  Did you enter Dublin?  If so, all the best for your training up for that.

Wil-der-beast ... I'll absolutely be packing sunscreen for this race; have learnt my lesson now!!  image

• No: 1124 here.

Anywhere I can get hold of last year's results.  Being adding bits and pieces in Fetch but can't remember exactly what time I got (1h50 or 1 sec out from that I think)

I've been sunburnt twice now in my last two races so more sunscreen being used here.

• Good luck to everyone running this race. I'm no where near half marathon ability yet but willbe there on the day cheering you on. Hopefully next year i'll be good enough to join you all.

Am running the bridge tonight as part of my general training image

• Well i'll certainly need all the help i can get Jo, so a big shout for m please as i plod past you image

• that's a coincidence, Scott S . . my number arrived today and I'm 1142 image
  • My number turned up today - 37 - Yikes I must have been keen entering this!!
  • Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    I signed up for this last night and I'm looking forward to seeing this Hill everyone keeps on about image, sounds a great event image
  • I've decided not to do this as my training has fallen by the wayside due to work commitments image.  My best friend lives in Barrow Upon Humber which is just down the road and got a friend in Barton too so I am still going to come and watch - although I know i'll be wishing i'd done it again image.

Good luck to everyone - Gravel Pit (hill at 9-10 miles) isnt too bad - i struggled more on the slip road back onto the bridge at 11 miles and the gradual incline on the bridge til you get to the middle.

Will be aiming for next year as I love running over the bridge image 

• The hill at 9 mile is not to bad, it flattens out half way up for a while. I find the climb back over the bridge worse.

Not got my number yet though and read that some have...

see you all there.

• As I was typing my last message the post came and with it my number 1082. OK here we go. Roll on 2 weeks on Sunday.
  • ... am expecting mountains towards the end now image so hoping to be pleasantly surprised on the day!

Race pack's arrived.  No.68 (I think, but don't have my no. with me at work), so was almost as keen entering this as you, HTA!!