Options

Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    No.132 for me. The hill in question is Gravel Pit lane, and you are rewarded with a long down hill stretch to the bridge afterward (almost all of 10 till 11), the bridge is hard but you will be rewarded with a T-shirt, medal and a drink afterward. So all good then.
  • Options
    Definitely sounds like a good run with lots of variety ... and downhills are always a nice reward!  image  Thanks for that reminder/reassurance Wil-der-beast!
  • Options
    Decent medal to make it worth while Wil-der beast image
  • Options
    SRS - Can you 4 min mile it up Gravel pit lane ??
  • Options
    ROFL....... i couldnt 4 min mile down it image
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Got my number too! Although must admit that i do not feel ready image this will be my first half marathon so at least i am guaranteed a PB and i'm local to the area so have run nearly all of the course numerous times - including Gravel Pit (the big hill at 9 miles) so that's gotta help - hasn't it?? Did the Humber Bridge 10K a couple of weeks ago so that's good practice - it's basically over the bridge and back. I also tried to find the times from last year to see where the last finisher came to see if i had a chance of coming last i have been assured by club members that i won't be. I think i'm aiming for 2.40 ish but as it's my first a finish will do!!

• Options
    you will be fine N1C... There were lots behind me last year and I was slow. Wanted to do the 10k but had windermere marathon to fit in. See ya there.
  • Options
    For anyone local, Will it be possible for Mrs HTA to see me at the start and then drive somewhere round the course and then get back to the finish or are all the roads in the area closed?
  • Options
    hahaha.... what a brilliant plan!
  • Options

Dave Robertson - will shout for you. I'll try memorise your pic but failing that i'll shout "Go on Dave!" over and over  image

Hopefully this time next year i may be able to run this one. I only started running in April having never even run for a bus so slowly slowly for me. Done a 5k, next is a 5 miler in Jul then a 10k in Aug and Sept ... building up bit by bit.

I'll be cheering you guys n gals on for this one though

• Options

Excellent, counting on you jo image thankyou, i'll be the on wheezing even before i hit any hills ha ha.

Good question hot tub, the bridge aint closed as  you run on the footpaths either side of the carriage way so in theory she can get across the bridge but other than that i dont know. getting back and getting parked up again might be a bit of a pain. Depends how quick your gonna be.

• Options

A tandem will be your best bet. The roads aren't closed but driving will be slow because of all the bloody runners!

Joking aside, cars can be a bit of a problem going through Barrow, some very snotty drivers last year, so be careful. And if they give you a hard time, a squirt of energy gel on the windscreen will cheer them up (or if you're old fashioned you can always throw jelly babies at them)

• Options
    ha ha love the energy gel idea, as for the jelly babies..... youll have to chew them a bit first to get them to stick image
  • Options
    HTA - I'm local and it is possible for your wife to go across the bridge and down to Far Ings which is about 8 miles but you have to take into consideration that the bridge will cost £2.70 each way!!! Let me know if you want directions and i'll email some across but really easy to find.
  • Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    Morning all - my number 1353 arrived today, really looking forward to it now
  • Options

Heeeey Wicked....... you stopping over or driving up on the day....... cant remember if ive asked you all ready.

• Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    Hi David - I'll be driving over on the day mate, hope your ok and the medical thingy you had xray for is ok, i'm looking forward to this one and the hill at mile 9  lol, i love a challenge image
  • Options

The off ramp just after the bridge looks far longer than I remember it!  Just been to Hull and was paying attention to the curvature of the bridge etc.  Some carriageway repairs going on on the north bound sde and that side of the bridge is closed to pedestrians at present as well.  Should have really detoured to gravel pit road and taken a photo of it!

• Options

Cheers Shaun...... still waiting for results, i should have rang i suppose but chickened out.

Scott, think bridge curvature looks worse when your tired ha ha. But remember the ramp thingy..... that stings a bit too if your pushing up it.

• Options
    Lees than 2 weeks now image
  • Options

just a couple of questions that perhaps one of you HB veterans can help me with.

I'm coming over from cheshire for this one staying with family in Barton, bringing some of the clan along too.

Was just wondering

on the bridge do we run on the paths at the side or on the road? If its on the road presume there's still 1 lane open both ways? Is the bridge any good for spectators if we're on the road?

also are the roads closed in Barton for the race. As the family will probably want to jump in the car after they've seen me run through Barton and head off towards the finish.

thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone's got any tips for a Humber Bridge newbie they'd be much appreciated image

cheers, Rob

• Options

You run on the pavements on the bridge (although a little bit of road either side of the bridge where there are no pavements or it's too narrow)..

The roads are open in Barton although not both sides and some junctions in the area won't be accessible for a while with runners crossing them so people can end up waiting quite a while.  Might be worth getting a street map and mapping the run route on it.  Sure there are ways around but they may add a few extra miles by car.

• Options
    cheers Scott, many thanks for this  image
  • Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    Not long now and I'll really looking forward to seeing "Killer Hill" image may not be after but I am at the mo
  • Options
    Yep Wicked D ... it's status seems to be 'legendary' image!
  • Options

Hello all,How is this race being timed, got my race pack but no chip timer.I'm looking forward to this,it will be my 2nd half 'EVER' and 1st one away from my local roads.

• Options

I did this last year, there is quite a climb just the other side of the bridge on the way out, the 9 mile hill is hard work but you just have to adjust your pace. 

Lets hope it's not too hot or windy like today as they close the bridge if its too windy then we will have to swim across.

Jane Benson

• Options

Its timed the good old fashioned way, the gun goes off and you run like crazy until the end. There is a nice wide start though so it does not take long to get passed the start.

There will be a lot of club runners in this one so if you are not the fastest, don't push to the front if you don't like a bit of jostling, and the front runners will go off fast! 

• Options
    I'll be WAY at the back Wil-der-beast, don't worry .... don't want to get trampled image!!!
  • Options
    I'm now running 3 halves in 8 days, so this will be my first one so will be taking it very slowly.

SBS, What are you going for on this one?