Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• ... nothing ambitious HTA, just "to finish" image  Then again I'm a bit of a 'lightweight' compared to you with only 2 halves in 7 days!!  image  And - nope - you still won't be able to talk me into that 3rd one the day after BBCHM you crazy person!!  image

I am adding 40 mins to the BBCHM to get in my 17 mile training run though, so that's my excuse!  Yeti came up with the excellent suggestion of continuing along the towpath for a couple of extra miles and then turn back towards the pub ... fab incentive!!  Will probably improve my speed on the way the back to the pub for some strange reason image ...

• Hmm ... I seem to have killed the thread ... so close to race day too!

Well good luck everyone for Sunday - have a good one!
  • Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    feeling good for this one now and looking forward to it image
  • Heavy rain given for Sunday - let's hope it no too heavy!! Still feel un prepared but going to have a good go at it!! image
  • I'll gladly take the rain on Sunday ......... Good luck everyone and have a Great Run. image
  • Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    I too like the rain, I just dont like heavy gusty wind
  • I hate strong winds - but rain is fine image

In fact, light rain would make conditions perfect  - bring it on!

• Good luck, have fun and we will see what the day brings!
  • Feeling really nervous this morning but cant wait to get on the start line (towards the back) and see what my body can do. 

Good luck everyone and lets hope the wind behaves, dont fancy being battered around by a force 9, rain is fine.

• Nice and windy here in Grimsby.  Should be fun crossing the bridge if it's like that is Hessle.

• Finished it although sure I was a minute slower than last year image

Bit hillier than I remembered it and the first bit up to the bridge seemed a lot longer as well - could have sworn last year, we started, turned left and ran up a leafy road past the school where you could park and then turned onto Boothferry Road before heading to the roundabout at the bridge.  Poor memory obviously!

Congested at the start as well and couldn't really get near my desired pace so I was around 8:30 min/mile up to the 5 mile point.  Did think the slip road was worse than the killer hill although compared to the Potter's Arf 3 weeks ago, this was a pancake flat course!

Odd bit of walking around 2 of the water stations and the killer hill (lost a few mins here again) but got a half decent pace on the sliproad leading down to the bridge - that bridge definitely isn't a mile long (unless they mean from the main support to the other).- goes on forever although the incline is hardly noticable!

Nice finish where I was hitting the very low 5 min/mile area which is a lot faster than I've ever run.  Still a bit twisty at the finish though so took a couple of turns quite wide to maintain speed.

Still want to know how Postman Pat was ahead of me.  Got to something like the halfway point and he was walking along - saw him again on the 1st 3rd of the bridge at 12:50 as I was driving back home.  Loads of army guys in full kit half way across and an ambulance for some reason.  Would be a bummer if someone had collapsed or something at that stage!

Still the same medal as last year but with a different ribbon.  Nice t-shirt with Asda written on big letters on the front and an apple + pear + bottle of water.

Few traffic problems in Barton.  Quite a few motorists were driving on the left hand side of the road forcing runners onto the right hand side where cars were approaching i.e. between railway station and just after the halfway point.  I had to jump between moving cars myself. 
    Really can't understand why so many people decide they have to drive somewhere at that exact time knowing what's going on.

Great marshall support as usual and no problems with the water stations (the one at the start of the bridge on the return leg were frantically trying to fill cups) - might be easier if they tipped the bottle water into a barrel and took it out of there.  St John's ambulance helped me sort out my cut wrist at the end as well - Garmin keeps cutting into it and plenty of blood (forgot to put a small plaster on before the run)
    No problems with toilets and parking either.  Little bit of a queue to park but that didn't take long and plenty of room in the field.  Nice to have men's toilets set up which saved a lot of queuing.

• Hi All..... Great event today with a very good turnout. The rain held off but i think the conditions were good.

Right................... Knocked 5 mins off my Humber record from 2006 so i'm well chuffed.

Once again a big THANK YOU for all the people that help out at these events...... We Do appreciate it and it makes the day even more special.  

How did the rst of you do. 

• Hi,

My first half and i really enjoyed all the nerves disappeared once on the start line image - thought the marshalls and the support all the way round was great really helped as did all of the water stations. Organisation was also good - thanks to organisers/helpers!! 
    Scott S - you are correct - the bridge is 1 mile from tower to tower image

• Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭

hi all

loved this and managed to get a new PB for distance which really surprised me as there is 2 or 3 tricky areas but I do stick to Heart Rate Zones and it seems to have paid off today so I'm well happy

very well organized event, water stations excellent as were the marshalls, I may well return next year for another go image

• what an excellant event. Absolutley everything was run perfectly apart from the dire food and service at the pasta party - and to be honest that had nothing to do with race organizers.

Set an 18 month pb, which shows the hills and speed work are working. Everything came together on the day and I have to admit not even the hills slowed me down today. Finished in 1:53.

One half down, two to go next weekend.

At the end of the day the only downer was the social aspect and not really hooking up with many of you guys. Note to self - must try harder next time
  • Hi everyone...

had a great day out today at this event - my first organised run and first half marathon... after deciding to start running in january this year.

Was a great atmosphere and enjoyed the crowd support - particularly at the end when I even managed to pull off a sprint (well fast hobble) finish. Weather was just right, although was thankful for the cloud cover as there was little shade and when the sun did come out I started to get very hot very quickly!

The hill at 9 miles wasn't as bad as I was expecting, although I was ready for it. I found the hill up the return crossing of the bridge more draining, and the bridge just seem to go on forever! I think I could have paced my run a little better as by this point I was pretty spent.

Overall I very much enjoyed myself, and am pleased with my time of 1.51. Hoping to improve on that in the Great North Run later this year!

Richard
  • This is my second Humber half, overall a great event.  Very hilly (where I live we don't have hills so they are beasts to me.

I would like to see the chip system in place now as it is a big event now.  Not enough water personally for me today, and I would prefer bottles so I can carry one for a while.

Also pens so that we dont get caught up in the congestion early on.

Great marshalls and organization what I saw.

Beat my time last year by about 17 seconds 2 hrs 3 mins and 37 secs

I will be back next year - looks like I am going to have to drive into town to find some hills as that is where I lost my time.

Jane

• Excellent race today.  Tough, but felt fast. Magnificent view of and on the bridge...that thing is massive!

The hill, the hill....well, it's quite tough, and it feels much worse because you've run for nine miles before you hit it.  I found the drag up onto the bridge just as hard, though.

I very much appreciated the superbly chilled apple and pear at the end....respect to Asda for that!

This was my first time at the Humber Half, and I'll be back next year, with more training, I think.

• Hi , hope everyone had a good time today , anyone know where/when to get results??
  • This was first run of 13 miles since injury in the Edinburgh Marathon 2007 so was quite nervous if my legs would keep me going.

Had a good race, not bad time and met some lovely people on the run, we didnt talk. lots of nods and smiles  just used each other as pace makers and it worked for us.

Great marshalls and support, loved the children with water pistols, just would like water in a bottle rather than a cup but maybe I will just have to adapt to that and not be such a stick in the mud.

Great race and atmosphere

• Hi guys, well done to all for yesterday, had a great run and it does seem to get better each year. I managed to take nearly 7 minutes off last years time and did around 1.33, so pleased with that.

Hot Tub.... great to meet up with you mate, and your young lady of course, and well done on your time, that special liquid carb loading must have worked image nice one.

later guys n gals, see you next year then?

• As always a great fun course and the best weather I can remeber for this event, and the organisers coped well with the increase in runners. Fruit was a nice touch.

However was anyone else p*$!!%@d off with the t shirt?  There is no date on it and the ASDA advert is larger than the race log.

• PMSL @ David R. That was the only carbo loading I was going to get staying at that place. Must remember to do that again this coming weekend. Likewise it was nice to meet you!

Richard, where you the chap I spoke to - started running in Jan, lost loads of weight?? Well done on your first as well.
  • Any one got any ideas who was taking all the photo's yesterday? Are they going to be available on web?
  • Are there no Excel results available?  Too lazy to install it just to find out how badly I did image

http://www.marathon-photos.com I believe do the photos although there will probably be others taken by people standing around that will appear.

• Scott, the following Scotts completed the course.

492 434 1124 Scott Sorley M35 111 : 23
    922 749 1092 Malcolm Scott M45 126 : 13
    929 751 1145 Scott Wilcock M 126 : 24
    1108 864 214 Scott Rowbotham M 135 : 35
  • Ah, so 1h51:23 for me then image  Sure I got 1h50:01 last year with my Garmin saying 1h49:59 (Garmin said 1h51:45 this year so that's an improvement!)

Could be worse position wise although if I could emulate my training performance in these events, I could easily get at least 200 places higher....

What I may do at some point later in the year is drive up to Barton and run part of the route including the "killer hill".  Would get me used to the route and a bit of hill work never hurts - well, apart from your quads etc image  Then again, sure I said that last year and didn't bother.

Milton Keynes in 3 weeks so assuming it's not tropical weather, I am going to go for a PB in that one (anything below 1h41ish is an official PB although I've done 1h34:59 in training and could have knocked at least a minute off that without any bother if I had put the effort in)

• Hi people,

Well it was my first Half, and my second competitive race, my first been the Lincoln 10k.

I live local to the bridge, but have never trained round there...

All i can say is WOW!

It was a great feeling to finish, but at 10 miles my knee decided to give up, and i limped home to a 2hr 54....

Shame on me...

Go on laugh at my time! 

Well done to everyone else though! 

• Steve, you finished mate, thats an achievment on its own, then when you got injured and yet carried on, thats another....... well done, just remember, time is relative...... one mans sprint is another mans race pace n all that...... good stuff...... whats your next one?