Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

1235»

Comments

• Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭

well done steve I agree with David, you crossed the finish line and you did that even though your were injured, the last couple of miles of this event is tough enough as it is let alone being injured, good on ya respect image

DR5 - I noticed your entry on this thread was at 02:13???????? is it today you set off on your Hols? must be up early if yes have a good one mate  

• Everyone has to start somewhere Steve, and the fact you were on the start line and crossed the finish line is what counts. look at you medal with pride and remember the effort needed to get it. You will get fitter and faster but you still need that effort to finish any race, and now you know you can do it!

Get your injury sorted (don't rush back to running try cycling and swimming to keep your fitness level) and if you live local to the bridge get in touch with a local club (eg City of Hull AC, East Hull Harriers) all will have web sites, and start training with them. Your times will tumble!

Good luck and enjoy yourself. 

• Thanks for the uplifting comments guys!

I live near scunthorpe, so im a member of Scunthorpe & District....

My next?...i want to recover before i try another big run!image

• Really well done Steve - to finish such a challenging Half - with a knee injury along the way is fantastic!  image  Have done a number of different Halves before and found yesterday's to be among the most 'challenging' for definite!  One of my most enjoyable too though.  Wow - the sweeping views of the bridge really do make you forget about aching legs, if only temporarily!  This is the first time I've done this one and I'm definitely back to do it next year.

Kind of wish it had been chip timed though as I was still in the loo queue when the start gun went off image - so started about 5 mins after everyone else (didn't want to do a Paula Radcliffe!).  Took me 2 miles to even catch up the sweeper bus, which confused bystanders a lot as they had thought they'd finished clapping and cheering everyone across and were starting to walk away from the area image.  The supporters were really great though I got quite a few claps and cheers from total strangers, which I really appreciated (thought the supporters and marshalls were excellent throughout in fact).  Overheard one little lad say "mummy ... she's last!" ... but I did managed to steadily pass a few people along the way so didn't quite end up last in the end!  Finished officially in 2:17:33 (but 'real time' of 2:13!) - not a PB but sort of what I'd estimated so was happy enough!

Loved too that someone had put a song on the ghetto blaster with "mountain" in the lyrics (I forget which song now) as were halfway up 'that hill'!!  image

• Well done SBS, now roll on Saturday !!
  • Is there any pics up yet?

Cant find any on Marathon photos yet

• Thanks HTA - hope you've got a few days rest/recovery at least from running now before your "marathon weekend" in a few days time!!  image  I'm looking forward to the BBCHM - am starting with Yeti which will be fab, probably at least half an hour after you though (... so maybe we could put our drinks order in with you beforehand as you'll be in the 'finish line' pub at least an hour before us I reckon!!  image)

• Marathon photo normally take a few days, so you will have to be patient I am afraid!
  • SBS, Grabbed a massage on Monday night, and managed 6 mile speed work yesterday which worked out well. A slow 6 miler today then nothing till the halves on the weekend.

How am I going to be able to spot you and Yeti?
  • Good question HTA and very important one if you're going to kindly get our drinks order in for us image!  (you know I don't mean that don't you?!  Sadly I'll be driving so no alcohol for me ... and there's only so much diet coke you can drink in one day!!).

I'm #620 and Yeti is #619.  Not sure whether she'll be wearing her running club top or not but I've decided not to wear mine - needs a 'rest' after the Humber Half and last night's 10k race I think!  Think I'll be wearing an apple green vest top, just a Ronhill job (I love Ronhill stuff!) and black capris.  May look a bit too summery if it's bucketing down but never mind!

The massage you had sounds like a good idea if you're tackling 2 Halves in 2 days!  I'm resting up for a couple of days now (my massage is booked for just before my next Half (Thames Towpath ... must be something about running along canals and rivers I like!  image) at the end of this month and I know I'll really appreciate it then!

Enjoy your 'tapering off' stage after your 6-miler today!  image

• No photos of me unless they haven't finished them all yet - definitely a couple of points where photos were taken (unless by different people?)

• Yey!

I look in pain though... !

• No photos of me either, not sure if thats a good or bad thing.
  • ... wish there hadn't been any of me - one day I'm hoping I'll be able to look at my race photos without thinking "I really must lose weight"!  image