GFA? is it possible for the average person?

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Maybe this thread shouldn't  have asked if it was possible, but  How can i get a GFA.? Which has been answered in this thread
  • I am MILES off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only just did sub five

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

what do you mean "just sub five"

You are getting there

• sub 4.30 i thought it was?

GFA 3.45 or 4.15 if you wait long enough?

• erm, do you lot know how LONG it took me to even do sub 5????????

you DO, so why are you saying this

• yes but i know how much faster you have got recently ..something is happening for you image

3.45 is up to 49 isnt it ? is it 4.15 after 50 .?

• no

stop

the 4,24 was an out of body thing

it wont happen again

• I got pics of me running in that race today-i wasnt running like |i usuaslly do

i was tall and straight

I had a reason to run, iu didnt think about it at the time, but it made a massive differece

this marathin wasnt agony-all the ones before have been

Fluke

it happened, and i am grateful, but it isnt --the norm

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hippo -stop being negative and thinking you couldn't run like that again.  Running in memory of someone obviously took away any negative thoughts you have about yourself and running.  Maybe you need to focus on what you can do not what you THINK you can't do.  Sorry if this causes offence, but its what I see when reading your posts!
  • ok hilly

will consider

not used to the new me yet

• No offence caused at all

x

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Good, that's what I like to hear

x

• so is GFA for F 50 4.15 then? image
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    No it's sub 4.  But this thread was about what you could achieve if you trained for ONE marathon, not 100+.  I'd think that if Hippo did that there would be another big chunk to come off.  Not that I'm saying that's what she should do, because she's happy running multilple marathons.  But to refer back to the original point then yes, I think she could get GFA.
  • BR & Hilly

You are both very talented in the marathon, you just don't seem to have realised it yet.

Two examples from my club include one bloke who I sometimes do my long Sunday runs with. His father ran 2.38 when he was 40. He can run a comfortable sub 60 for 10m, and runs sub 17 for 5k. He regularly runs long at weekends yet his best marathon is 3.05.

The other guy now runs ultra. He generally finishes next to me in x/c yet has only produced a 3.28 best in the marathon. Both are in their mid thirties.

FYI I ran my first GFA off 40mpw (3.06). These blokes are doing considerably more than I was doing to get that.

Dull
  • Dull - I would ask if they have done consistent 80mpw over 2 years, as I still don't think any man under 40 could do that and fail to get sub 3 if short term preparation went well.  In fact I would expect someone running sub 17 for 5k to be running about 57 mins for 10m, so maybe an issue with aerobic endurance.

I know a guy from Doncaster who is my standard over 5k / 5m who managed a 3.33 FLM this year.  Not that he can't run sub 3, but lack of appopriate training and a completely numpty race strategy (76 first half when that is his pb).

• Quite scarily interested in this idea, I've pondered for a while how much faster I could get if I really worked hard and put the mileage in (as someone who came late to running and still remembers the shame of having to do the 'silly walking' race cos she wasn't deemed good enough to run at school) especially when I saw what the GFA for women was as I thought do you know, if I worked I think I could do that.   But I really don't have the time.  Hmmm bit mad really as I've not done a sub 2 hour half yet, but have seen how much I have improved when I've trained. 

*mutters to self - don't set youself any more daft challenges* 

• Was just thinking about the question again. What does GFA mean and what does average mean? If average means average person with average training then the answer is no because by definition GFA is above average? Otherwise we would be talking about AFA times. A bit reminiscent of Bush wanting everyone to be above average intelligence or marks or something....image

• Am I right in assuming that GFA places only count for half marathon and above distances that are chip timed and AAA (?) affiliated?

Once I get my next marathon out of the way, I'm going to try a reduce my times by doing more speed work and incorporating the results into slightly longer runs.  If I want a 1h23 or less half marathon time, I'm ideally going to either lie through my teeth about what time I can do to get to the start of a field, or find a really small one where they're aren't too many people to try and run around / get held up by.

I still need to knock about 1 minute a mile off my times at present to achieve a GFA  which is probably quite a lot, but I am able to sometimes maintain a decent enough pace for shorter distances - something to expand upon there.

• To get a GFA place you have to have a marathon qualifying time.  The only way a HM time will get you in is on the Championship start, where you will need sub 75 mins (or sub 90 for the fairer sex).

Because there's a whole 6 minute difference between the men's and women's WR HM time, so let's give the women a 15 min gap when it comes to FLM AAAs places...

• BR: It seems obvious that the times are selected to get roughly equal numbers of men and women based on the numbers that can achieve them as opposed to a relationship with the WR times. Does this policy get to you? Why? What do you think would be fairer/better? It it is not as though FLM is inundated with female GFA competors squeezing out the men? Or are they?
  • No it doesn't get to me.  There is a standard for me to achieve or not to achieve as the case may be.  What the female standard is is of no direct concern to me.  I was posting a running point on a running forum. 

As a matter of fact I think that far more women can run a sub 90 min HM than men a 75 min.  It's just that there's fewer doing so, therefore the qualifying standard is very slack.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I know a local V45 runner who clocked 3:14 at FLM off average training of 25mpw. He is remarkably talented and can run decent times off very little training. Unfortunately the majority of us are not talented and could not replicate this, so don't even think about it!

My early marathons (in my 30's) were in the 3:30-3:45 zone. A couple of the chaps at my club assured me that I could get closer towards 3hrs as long as I pulled my finger out and put some more miles in. Hard hitting but well meant advice, I also discovered this forum which was a 'road to Damascus' experience. My 'Dream Team' section covers my subsequent exploits sufficiently, suffice to say I have just run a 3:03 PB at the age of 50.

If like me you don't have much talent, you simply have to put the work in. The difference between a marathon campaign of 35mpw and 50mpw is massive, the times come tumbling down. In my experience you are very unlikely to achieve a GFA off 3 runs a week.

A girl in my club ran marathons of 4:10, then 3:42 by listening to good advice from grizzly old campaigners like me and upping her mileage. She then wanted to break 3:30. We took her on our long runs occasionally, she would curse us for pushing her outside of her 'comfort zone'. She wasn't cursing us when she ran her next FLM 3:24 however!

It isn't easy, nor is it meant to be. But it gives the runner a fabulous sense of achievement when they get that qualifying time. It is also much more rewarding than contributing to threads on the FLM section bemoaning the injustice of the entry system!

• (note to self, do not come in here after gin-got my come uppance today--4.39.25)

Think the GFA is safe form me

good luck to the rest of you

xx

• Br: Well another interesting running point.: why is it that fewer women do achieve sub 90 than should? Do you have any views on why that is the case? There seems to be alot of women running but is it just part of the overall deteriation in standard which greater participation does nothing to avail?

(Please dont take offence these are genuine quesitons and I am interetsed in youtr views; I am not trying to provoke you)

• PH, Well done on all your recent marathons. I was telling my BF about you and we agreed that all your achievements runnign wise have been fantastic. ALL off your marathons are amazing. If I were you I wouldn want the other 10s of marathons overshaddowed by the later fast ones.

• I think in general women don't put in as many miles as men due to other life commitments, so don't get to achieve their potential as much as men.
  • Last year 628 women ran 90 mins or faster for HM, as opposed to 569 men going sub 75.  This would suggest that the Championship standard is fair, but as we know far fewer women race longer distances than men, so the % chance a woman has of achieving a AAAs start is far higher than a man.
  • I ran 3.06 off 40mpw aged 47, and 3.01 off 90mpw aged 49.

Far too simplistic to say extra training will pay dividends for all. An extra 50mpw to buy 5 mins, isn't exactly getting back what you put in.

Sometimes wish I'd never started, but hooked on the training now.

Dull

• I think the key point about "soft" Championship standards for women is that they have an earlier start time to fill up.  This creates more spaces at the mass starts for the rest of us, so everyone wins.

My main complaint about the men's GFA time is the age groups.  Expecting a 59 year old to perform as well as a 40 year old is just silly.  That said, 3:15 is a sensible target for me now, so as a Vet51 I'm not that bothered.  I may be in 8 years' time...

Going back to the thread question - is GFA possible for the average person? - probably not for the average 59 year old man!