Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Hi BS and hello again to everyone, 

Glad you had some one you could ask, its worrying when you get niggles and not sure what to do.  I was told that you should'nt try to run through any niggles always stop and ask cos you couls make matters worse. I guess as one gets more experienced and more mileage then you perhaps will know whats best to do for you.   Hope all that makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ran tonight for 3 and half miles involving a really horrid /steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep hill that i haven't been able to crack yet!!!  I have been advised to rest sat & sun 'cos I'm doing 10k on Monday( panic setting in, so wish me luck) - I find this running malarky quite strange 'cos although I don't actually enjoy it I do worry if I miss runs???? Am I odd???  I do enjoy my changing shape I am being to able to see now plus it helps my slimming world diet - so it must be doing me good????

Anyone else doing any runs?, I know people call them races but that worrys me 'cos I don't do fast.

TTFN Nessie

• Hi all,

Haven't been on this thread in a little while. Hope everyone is doing well.

Plod - 3 and a half miles with a hill is pretty impressive stuff. I hate hills and am convinced they're the devil.

TBW - Can't believe how insensitive people have been to you! You're doing a great thing starting up with running - I'm willing to bet that your work colleagues do nothing of the sort!

BS - Glad to hear you're enjoying the running. It's kind of addictive, isn't it?

I'm loving running this week. I set myself a challenge this week to run as far as I could without stopping and it worked out at 2.4 miles. I was so shocked! Definitely up for a 5k, but a bit scared image

• imageHere is a devil hill gremlin for Lisa-Marie !!!!!!!!!!    Hello to everyone, hope your'e all well.

Hi LM, Ta for saying hello, don't be scared - I did a 5k  ( my first run with other people as I train alone 'cos it is not always convenient to go with others plus I am worried about holding people up) a while ago and just stayed at the back as eveyone seemed to dash away BUT believe it or not I was soon overtaking people 'Cos they had gone too fast too soon and could'nt keep that pace up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Slow but sure is my motto and although I did'nt set a trail blazing time - I did finish and I was over the moon, so go for it and you will be so proud of yourself as I am sure your friends and family will be.

TTFN Nessie

• Thanks - I'm really excited to run one. I've done a couple of Race for Life 5k's but I never really did much training, so it was all just walk/running. The next goal is a 5k with all running.

I like your slow but sure motto - that's going to be my goal. As long as I run the whole way, I'm happy. Do you have any more races/runs planned? image

• LM - welcome back! Well done on getting a goal.. and slow and sure sounds very sensible..

Plod - You are full of good sense and really good to have around.. image

The knee and the hip are now aching so I am glad I am having a rest day but I still feel guilty!  Off to Badminton with the children in the morning and hopefully a lot of walking round the course.  That will do me a lot of good I think and stave off the guilt..

Have a lovely Saturday all of you...

Blithe 

• BS - If the knee and hip are aching, have a rest day and enjoy it. I've found that sometimes when I've had a few days off running, I feel rested and able to go further when I go back to it.

Hope you have a great Saturday image

• kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

This is a fantastic thread - you lot are all amazing!  Well done to BS for starting it - I wish it'd existed when I first started out (I'm still a beginner in most people's eyes, probably as I'm very slow, but I can do decent distances now, however slowly).

When I first started my local running club said I could join but said that "unless I could run x distance in y minutes within z months" I'd have to leave.  I forget what it was but having never run a step it just looked totally unattainable, so naturally I didn't join.  Within a year I'd completed a half-marathon.

Plodders unite I say!

• kaybee- Precisely why I'm scared to join a running club! Sounds like you did fantastically on your own though - a half marathon is an amazing achievement!

Personally, I'm quite happy to be a plodder image

• kaybeekaybee ✭✭✭

Lisa-Marie - thanks for the kind words, and you're right HILLS ARE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL AND I HATE THEM image 

Plodderama - I don't call them races either, just runs.  The way I see it is the only person I'm "racing" is myself - and I've got my aim, and that's to get finished.  Good luck on Monday, you'll go great!

• JjJj ✭✭✭

Was it Corinthian that wrote a lovely open letter to a big lady he used to see out running?

If no one else can find it I'll have a go a bit later.

• Thats wonderful 'jage - well done for remembering

Just goes to show that there are actually some quite wonderful peeps around these fora sometimes image

• Jj - thanks for linking us to that. That was a lovely post to read.

Just been for an off-road run - through a forest/wood type area. Lots of hills and mud - ended up running through the middle of a golf course scared I was going to get hit by random golf balls. Great fun, though hills still remain my nemesis. There were a couple today that nearly beat me image

Think I did about 2.5 miles - ran for 24 minutes with 6 minutes of walking at random intervals too. It's am improvement on my last off-road run last week (ran 3 extra minutes today!) so I'm happy. I can run easier and for longer on the main roads, but today's route was prettier. image

• Hi everyone. this is indeed a great friendly thread. Not running for a week cause i have been running & after a few miles the bottom of my calf begins to ache so not sure what i have done, maybe not stretching after runs which i have to confess i don't do. Should have been doing my long run of the week today & really missing it already, very addictive indeed. Can't wait til next weekend.

The only race i have entered is the great eastern run in october. would like to do a couple of shorter runs before that to get that experience with running with people as i am a lone runner.

• Adrian - hope the calf is feeling better soon. Maybe it's a stretching thing and the ache is from getting tight calves? Hopefully a few days rest will sort it out and you can get back out there again soon.

Maybe you could enter a 10k sometime during the summer to get into it? There seem to be loads of them on over the summer.

• Yeah think a 10k would be a good one. Not too short to be too fast & not too long to be tiring. Very excited about running with other people though. Lets hope the weeks rest does the trick. Just started making my own energy drinks & they were working wonders & really feeling good about doing longer runs.
  • Can I be really nosy and ask how you make your energy drinks? I'm eventually hoping to work up to longer distances but I'm clueless on anything to do with energy drinks etc.
  • image Hi TO YOU ALL , hope you had a good day today,

no runningfor me this weekend advised not run for a couple of days before 10k on Monday( oooooh getting colly wobbles!!!!!). As the weather was so good clipped & bathed horse ( much to her delight!!!!!) and then went for a ride FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB.

imageHi LM, I am entered for Bristol half mara( like the abreviation?? they do that on other forums where they all talk about races, times, PB's so I sound as though I know what I'm on about!!!!) I did do this in 2006 apart from 5k that was my only run and my goals were to not be last and to finish standing - and I achieved both, can't ask for more than that!!!!!

imageHi BS Ta for your lovely comment - bet my hubby wonders who you are talking about having good sense!!!!

imageEvening Kbee, Finishing it what its all about, time isn't important but as I do more and get stronger it is quite nice to be able to take some time off my previous routes but I'd rather be able to say I RAN all the way - still working on that as the dreaded imagehills are all against me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet your'e all waiting to get a word in edge ways - so will shut up for now. TTFN Nessie

• Plod - Good luck with the 10k on Monday! I'll have my fingers crossed for you. The half mara (trying out the abbreviation thing too!) sounds good - when is that?

I've currently got an aching ankle and am annoyed. I'm not sure if I should run on it as planned tomorrow or give it a break. I know the logical answer is to give it a day and rest it and wait til it feels good (and that's what I'd tell anyone else), but I'm somewhat addicted to the whole running thing and really want to go tomorrow image

• image Ive lost my yellow pic of Plod and don't know how to get it back ???

Good evening everyone hope you are all well & happy.

imageHi LM,       Bristol mara is not till September so plenty of time for training!!!!  I was advised by a physio to listen to your body and if you have a niggle or an ache then body is trying to tell you something!!!!   Best thing to do is cross train - so on the day you are meant to run then do something else so you are still exercising which is good physically BUT I found really good mentally - and was also advised to run in the swimming pool when I could'nt run on the road as the water takes the impact off your joints - hope this helps you. ( i must admit I felt a bit of a twit running in the local swimming pool but then I thought what the heck at least I am doing something!!!!!!) 

TTFN Nessie

• Cheers - I hadn't thought of the cross training thing. Think I might go for a swim tomorrow instead. Don't know if I'm brave enough to run in the pool, but may well give that a go too! Good advice image
  • Mornin all! 

Still not been out for a run (for over a week now) - cough still lingering and chest feels really tight so erring on the side of caution and not going out today (fingers crossed I'll get out there tomorrow). 

Also in my cold/cough induced misery I have eaten enough food to feed China this week and have put 4lbs on - which is annoying, Can never seem to break the cycle of emotional eating.

I would really like to lose about 21lbs - is anyone else running to lose weight?  I wondered if you've found it helps - I have noticed a change in my shape (upper body and legs more toned) but not necessarily any weight loss.  Would be glad of any tips!

• imageHa Ha just realized pic of yellow Plod not lost!!!!!! I am such a dope - it doesn't show while I'm typing but then of course it shows when I've finishe dand sent this to you all.

imageMorning everyone and good on you LM for going swimming, I found that when I run in  the pool I do get people asking what & why am I doing , and then lots of encouragement.

imageHi to Kate M - I run for a variety of reasons and a great big main reason is to lose weight ( am going to slimming world aswell) and to change shape for the better!!!!!!  As you get fitter and more toned you will lose fat and muscle will develop and this weighs heavier than fat -SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO forget scales for a while and go by your clothes to see how loose they are and soon you will be getting into the next dress size down. Hope this helps 'cos this really does happen - Also very sensible not to run with cold .

imageimagePanic has set in 'cos I am doing Bristol 10k in the morning and have woken up with seized back muscle - so am sitting with heat on it and then off to gym to go on vibrating machine ( on advice of gym owner) anyone else had anything like this happen????????????

TTFN Nessie

• Hey everyone - How lovely that this thread is becoming a real community.. Huge hugs to everyone.

LM - I am JUST in your situation.. Got a really quite sore knee after Wednesday's run and haven't run since then but as an addict (!) I feel a combination of annoyed and frustrated and dare I say guilty? BUT, and it is a big but (as is mine *wink*) I really want this to be permanent fitness not another sporadic flirtation so am determined to make sure I am fit.  The cross training idea is a good one and I thought I might go out on the bike today.. That will strengthen the knee without causing too much pain, I think.

Plod - How exciting about Monday! You are a real runner if you are doing a race.. Best of luck for tomorrow and don't worry! Imagine us all there behind you cheering you on.  

Adrian - careful with the shin.  i hear so often about shin splints etc, and a little bit of rest won't hurt it, but a lot of running will.

Kate - I am overweight but for the first time, I am running to get healthy, not my weight.  Having had cancer twice in the last eighteen months, I really want some kind of insurance against the future, and that is what they say about exercise, isn't it? If, as a consequence, I lose weight as well, then great.  What I would say is that cross training, I think is a great way to lose it, and the old truism about muscle weighing more than fat is true..   Try cutting back on the food front as well or keeping a food diary and it will drop off you..

MWAH to you all,

• imageThanks BS - thats a huge compliment to say I am a real runner but I promise you I will be starting at the back and syaying there!!!!!!!   I'm not sure what my time will be but what I would REALLY love to be able to tell you all that I have run all the way and no walking - so we'll see what happens.

imageI will love imaging that all you great running/walking plodding buddies are cheering me on, this is good to be able to jot thoughts down etc about running 'cos I wouldn't join a club incase I held everyone up, so I have never had the chance to chat or compare progress, but I do time my runs and have worked out mileage so I have an idea of what I'm doing but when I hear other rumnners on the other forums talking of doing the 10k in55mins or less that scares me, still what will be will be.

image KateM - As BS suggests a food diary will help - I keep afood diary and that really has helped me to see exactly what AND how much Iv'e eaten( ithink I said earlier I joined slimming world 6 wks ago and have lost 6lbs. HURRAH

TTFN Nessie

• Thanks for all the advice about keeping food diaries etc.  Will give it a go.  Feeling much better today and have therefore decided that only and Apocalypse will stop me from running tomorrow!

Really enjoying this thread - some lovely folk posting on it, some of the other threads have some scary people on them!!!!!

• imageHi Kate M - know what you mean I have just read another thread and they were talikng about 8min miles for the first 5 miles and THEN picking up the pace for the rest of the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Too scary for me.

imageAll you guys here seem fun and eager and willing and triers and encouraging and I feel right at home, thanks for letting me butt in with you all. I think we all have achieved greatly even if it is small steps at a time.

TTFN Nessie

• Hey all,

Have to confess I didn't manage to swim today. Had a big family get together and so have had 16 of the immediate family over today for a barbeque. Still have a sore foot, but ended up running around the garden with the kids playing "it". Had an ankle support on, and most of the kids are under 7, so it wasn't exactly taxing. Have iced my foot and my uncle (previously a hardcore runner) massaged it for me. God knows what he did, but it feels a lot better. Swimming tomorrow if I still can't run!

Kate - I'm in a similar place to you and would like to lose some weight through running. Problem is my lack of willpower and love of wine image. I've noticed changes in my body but the scales aren't budging. My current thing is trying to stick to 2000 calories a day (2200 on running days) and have 90% of those calories from healthy food. Still gives me a budget of 200ish calories for junk image

Plod - Good luck for tomorrow! I agree with BS - you're a real runner if you're doing a race. Actually, I think anyone who is dedicated enough to get out there and practise is a real runner, races or otherwise. Hope the back feels better and please give us a post race report tomorrow evening! image

BS - Isn't being injured the most annoying thing? I was dying to go for a run today, but thought I'd rather take a day or so off for a minor ache than keep going and have it become an actual injury and end up out for a few weeks or so. The bike idea is a good one - that'll help your knee get stronger without putting too much impact on it.

I have to say that I really like this thread. Everyone on here is really supportive and lovely. Some of the other ones seem so established and everyone knows eachother so well it's all a bit scary!

I'll now end the longest post ever. Hope everyone is having a fantastic Sunday. And no work tomorrow - could it get any better? image

• Lisa - No! *grin*

I did go out today and ran.. but I did find it more difficult than the others that I have done.. R2W1 x7 and 5 mins at the end and beginning to warm up and cool down.  I did only run on the grass today rather than the concrete and noticed that my knee did still ache but not as bad as before..

Plod - Can't wait for the post race report and best of luck.  I will get out  the pompoms in advance!  Oh and as for welcome, well we are all in the same boat more or less... *grin*

Kate - pleasure... and enjoy..

Sleep well all..

• BS - I think running on the grass is harder in general. Stamina wise, anyway. It's so much better for the joints.

Glad you had a good run today. Hoping to get out myself tomorrow!