Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

grumpy - I know, think these are about £500+. To be honest, raising the money is no problem, but don't really have the confidence that I'll be able to complete it in a good time so wouldn't feel good about taking a charity place for that reason. Had a couple of rubbish runs this week and just feeling down in general about running at the moment.

Kate - sounds painful! Hope you feel better soon! You should definitely be proud of yourself for getting up and carrying on - not sure I'd have managed it!

Hope everyone else is ok xx

• Options
    HitchHitch ✭✭✭

lm - it is not the time that you take that matters. Even if you walk it you have finished which is more than the majority of the population.

The charity doesn't care what time you take as long as they get their money.

It may also inspire you if you are running for charity as you may feel that you don't want to let people down and it may give you that extra motivation to keep going when you would normally stop.

I ran for Asthma UK this year in FLM but luckily I had a ballot place already so there was no pressure to get the sponsorship money. Thye wanted £1500 for a place.

Luckily I also have a place for GSR so I am running it for me. I may see you there.

Cheer up. remember why you started running. It is for the enjoyment. It is not a chore. Take a couple of days off and you will be itching to get back out there.

• Options
    Thanks Grumpy - feel better today. Went for a run earlier but didn't really follow any plan. Just mixed up the speed and had some fast running mixed in with walking and jogging. Good fun, and hard work! I like not sticking to my training plan sometimes.
  • Options

Glad to hear everyone is out and about running.

I am blue and scabby in many places but determined to be back out running by Saturday

• Options

Ooh Kate , hope your knocks and bruises heal soon - try that good ole standbuy Arnica ointment!

LM -  Not sticking to anything is not so bad , just putting in the runs  whatever they may be is just GREAT.

Hubby is in the GSR as that is local for us, which is just after we get back from holiday.  Hoping to get in some serious running on the lovely island of Ibiza image

Not done anything this week as working at Glorious Goodwood, by the time I get home am only ready for a glass or two of wine with supper and flake out   image

Take Care all xx

• Options

very quiet here. I am taking my car to the garage & running back, only 3 miles but i was naffed after running a lot last week so i have been giving my body a rest. Back on the miles next week though. Just entered another local 5 mile run on august 17th so looking forward to that one.

KATE - i hope your cuts & bruises are healing up now hun?

• Options

Ady - I think you're addicted image

Rest day for me today too - probably a good thing since I've got to cook for the family today. I'm doing indian and have five different dishes to do! I've spent most of the afternoon in the kitchen so goodness knows when I'd have found time to run!

I'm rubbish at rest days though. I know they're very necessary but I don't like non running days.

• Options

Erm - did something really silly.  Danced all friday night at a wedding and then went out for a run on saturday.

Clearly this was a mistake as my bruised knee (from the mountain bike escapade) has swollen to the size of a small toddler's head and I can barely walk.  Currently strapped up and elevated.

image I just want to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    OUCH! Sounds incredibly painful - you poor thing! Hope the knee feels better very soon.
  • Options

Have not been in for weeks. Just popping in to say Hi.

I can't run at the moment. I hurt my foot 6 weeks ago and it is still bandaged up - ligaments apparently. Can't run. I'm dead bored.

LM - Nowt wrong with walking round. I walked the Great Capital a couple of weeks ago. I'd been sponsored so thought I ought to go round even though I couldn't run.

• Options

Hey Roaree, hope the foot feels better soon - isn't it boring when you can't run? I did the Great Capital too - managed to run the whole way, though not very fast.

Am currently nursing a very sore knee. Tripped over a kerb about 5 minutes into my run today and went flying. Must have looked quite impressive as a bloke driving past stopped his car to check I was ok. Very annoying though - ended up with lots of blood running down my leg which ended up all over my shoe! Had to go home and clean up and then start my run all over again. Grrrrrrrrr. Currently have a purplish bruise and lots of cuts and scrapes. Don't think I'll be wearing a skirt for a while!

• Options
    LM - I sympathise - you are army-strong for going back out on your run
  • Options

Hello all

Havent been about alot, but have missed you all....been all work and no play. Im also nursing a poorly knee, all i did was bend down to stroke a dog and bingo, one bad knee? Long as i dont try and bend it, its ok (not easy lol).....so for all of us in the poorly ward ((hugs)) xxx

• Options

Strump - Hope the knee is better very soon!

Mine is currently an attractive shade of purple/blue/green covered in lots of scabs, but I can still run on it, so I'm a happy lady.

Where is everyone else? xx

• Options

Thanks LM, and thank goodness yr ok to run.

Not sure where our buddies are xxxxxx

• Options

I'm here but still limping - went to docs today and turns out I have to rest knee for a bit longer and that I probably have cracked a rib so need to be careful.

Going to Madrid on Monday for 5 days so hopefully when I get back I'll be able to get back out there and run

Hope everyone else is ok - where are Plod and Ady? They are normally super regular posters

• Options

I lost my first toenail today! Weirdly, that makes me feel like a real runner.

Yes, I know that's sick. I'm having a sensible night in tonight - I'm trying for 7 miles tomorrow!

• Options

Morning all, soz for not being on much but had & still have realationship issues so i have not ran as much as i would like to. I really have to get back into it though cause i have a race next sunday so i think i will try to do a few miles tonight.

How many people are getting injuries, your poor things image

Only 3 weeks to go til i fly out to spain for 2 weeks then i know i have to put in some running in the sun, not looking forward to that but the GER is getting nearer & i would really like to run all the 13 miles image

Anyway i will try to get back to being a regular poster, nice to see i'm missed though........LATERS xxx

• Options

Hello All

Sorry to hear about all your scrapes and injuries - get better soon   LM, Kate,  Roaree and Strump

My very strict diet regime is into week three and combined with some regular  running this week   I' ve lost 6lbs.  image

Kate - Have a lovely time in Madrid it is a beautiful city.  Have you been there before?   

Have to get up early tomorrow  for a  10k   it starts at 8.45   image   (what was I thinking when I sent in my entry?)      Would really like to do this in just over an hour. 

LM     Wear your battle scars with pride, and take care today!    On the subject of toes -  I have a slighlty black looking one, discovered it when taking off my nail polish!!

Have a great weekend

Take Care xx

• Options

myredface - Congrats on the 6lbs! Good luck with the 10k tomorrow

Ady - Good to see you back - hope all is ok with the relationship issues. What race are you doing next Sunday?

Kate - Enjoy Madrid! Hope the injuries heal fast - maybe a bit of sun will help.

Had a 3 mile run this morning. Was going to do 7, but am wearing in some new othotics/insole thingys and the advice I'd been given was to wear then in gently and not do too much on the first run. It was great - no aches (sometimes my left knee aches after a longer run) or anything! I was also weirdly faster than usual. Not sure what that was about, but no complaints. Might go out again tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday, despite this revolting weather! image

• Options

Ady - sorry to hear that things have been tough - life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes...

LM - congrats (I think) on losing a toenail, I remember losing both my big toenails after my DofE expedition at school.  No-one would go near me in PE class at school for weeks after.

Myredface - well done on 6lbs weight loss - what diet have you been doing if you don't mind me asking - going to get back on the wagon when I get back from Madrid when hopefully I can run again.

In terms of my injuries - my knee is much better, and my ribs are starting to heal too.  All my cuts and scrapes are nearly gone although I am shedding dry/injured skin like a snake at the moment.

Well better get back to packing for Madrid - never been before so really excited, I like Art so can't wait to go round the Prado, Thyssen and Reina Sophia galleries. 

Laters xxxxx

• Options

Doing the thorney 5 mile next week so nothing too much.

Good luck in madrid kate. I am off to bullollos in spain on sept 2nd. It is a tiny collection of 3 villas about 3 miles away from the nearest village. Not a brit in sight & surrounded for miles around by grape fields. Not everybodys cup of tea but just perfect to sit back, drink plenty of cerveza & chill for 2 weeks. Oh yeah & the odd bit of running at 5am in the morning so it is not too hot lol

• Options

Oooh all this talk of holidays - mine is two months away.  

Kate The Art galleries -  you certainly have your pick in Madrid.  Only had time to visit The Prado.

Took in a walking tour of the city, which was excellent, I must have walked for  miles....   They even do (dare I mention) cycle tours   image

No special  diet  really,   just being strict with what I eat and have cut down on the vino   image 

sounds like a heavenly kind of holiday Ady.  You deserve it!!

Take Care

• Options

myredface - I'm starting a healthy eating type thing on Monday. Hopefully I'll have as much success as you. Shame they haven't invented calorie free wine yet, eh? image

I'm so jealous of you and all your holidays - I won't be doing anything until I've moved into my new flat. I'm really excited about it, but all the solicitor malarky is taking FOREVER. image

• Options

Mmmmmmmmmmm Tapas - that will be my downfall.

Might give the cycle tour a miss - think hubby would have a seizure if he saw me stood anywhere near a bike. 

I know I'll do loads of walking though - best way to see a city is on foot and my nickname for hubby is "tourist Hitler" as he goes a "bit walk around see everything there is to see" crazy

• Options

imageHi Gang, not been able to chat 'cos computer gone to hospital and I've borrowed hubbys to pop in now & again to see how you all are - he is so busy with work I could'nt really hi-jack it ever time I wanted to have a natter but  really missing you all so pinched it from him for a mo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageSorry some of you in the wars - it is frustrating when these things happen but you must be sensilble and take the appropriate time to rest etc or if poss find an alternative form of exercise help keep up your evel of fitness & to help keep you sane!!!!!!!!

imageBristol half mara next month & I have been in panic mode but think I have calmed down a bit now - I hired a personal traine rfor an hour to run with me & assess me - imageWeeeeeeeeeeeeell she thought I was fit & no problems just advised me to walk first ( I usually just go straight out of door into run) and to stretch at the end.

imageAm gradually increasing distance on my weekend runs - last week end I did 5.1m in 57mins running no stop - yesteday I did 5.6m in 65mins again run all the way & terrible head wind - during the week I do 3.5/4m runs and have run to the swimming pool for Aqua aerobics class!!!!!!!!! imageSo I think Plod is getting there , so next week end run will be 6m & so on till I think I make my longest about 8/9m two weeks before half mara???imageAny advice guys & gals??

imageGosh I bet your'e all thinking - blimey Plods back with her rambles - so will go & let you all get a chance. Take care of yourselves TTFN Nessie xx

• Options

No advice I'm afraid plod... I'm a little way from a half mara at the moment! Sounds like you're doing well with your training - building up the long run a bit at a time and having a couple of shorter ones during the week sounds perfect.

Hope the computer is better soon image

• Options

Just take it slow & the speed will come is the only advice i can give to you. Other than that you sound like you are coming on great.

Went out with the club tonight & decided to go with the faster runners & do 5 miles. Well we ended up doing 7 miles in 57 mins. It was hard work but a well good workout. Got my run on sunday, can't wait. Such a great feeling running with others.

• Options
    hello all

Back from my hols and now all the talk is about going off on holiday!!
    Have a great time though!
    I'm going to do a 5K race in Swindon at the start of Sep.It will be only my second race if you count RFL as a race and I figured I needed to do another 5k before my 10K at the end of Oct.
    The race in Swindon is called 'Back in a Flash' which worried me a bit!!The organiser has assured me that its a race for all abilities so hopefully I won't be last!Wont be back in a flash though!!
    My sister lives in Swindon so I'm going to encourage her to join me or at least cheer me on-I live in Oxford but it will be an excuse to see my sister and catch up after our holidays!
  • Options

Plod - You are such a star!!!!  Keep up your weekends long runs, it sounds like you are really enjoying them  image

Crips Ady!  Your speed  is very impressive   Well Done!!!!!

LM  I agree with you I do enjoy a nice chilled glass or two with my  evening meal.  But have cut it down to just weekends and with some sparkling water   Good luck with your move by the way, fingers crossed for you.

Susiebe   Hi there.... race organisers I think have a built-in mean streak me thinks.  I was in a recent one called the Wivlesfield Wobble!!  Just about sums me up  wobbling along!!!

There is a bit less of me to wobble though as I'm on strict diet and am determined to get down to 10 stone. (11lbs to go) 

Last sunday was a bit of a disaster as I had a (how can I put this politely) slightly unsettled stomach  (maybe nerves got the better of me)   just before the 10k, remember the start time being 8.45 in the morning image   ugh!!!         

So I rather sheepishly opted out and stood on the sidelines and cheered everyone else on

Take Care all

xx