Options

Brand new runner looking for companions..

Comments

• Options

image LM- i got the idea for making my own energy drinks from this months running world magazine. I took one banana, half an apple, handful of porridge oats & added a little milk, put it all in the blender (smoothie maker) & that was it. Went for a long run half an hour later & just felt more energetic than usual, and did my best time for the distance. You can just experiment & add different fruits & then we can all share recipes.

image Plod, good luck for tomorrow. I have not entered a run yet but can't wait til my first one, bet your dead excited.

image Can't feel the strain in my calf at all now but still not going to go running til next sunday to give it a really good rest. I am really missing itimage Won't be long though.

image BS- Glad to hear the knee is getting better but just be careful not to do too much too soon & make it worse. 

Right off to bed. Catch you all later image

• Options

Morning all

Still have a slightly sore foot today. Am wavering between going for a gentle run and putting an ankle support on, or doing the sensible thing and going swimming. Will probably swim - I think I'm just in a slight sulk because I'm missing running!

Adrian - thanks for the recipe. I'll start experimenting once I'm able to run longer distances. Glad the calf is feeling better now image

Off for breakfast now, then to the pool. Should be interesting... if you don't count swimming in pools while on holiday (which I don't), I haven't been proper swimming in 10 years or more!

• Options

Morning all..

LM - Have fun with the swimming!

Ankle now feeling a little sore on the right.. I can't seem to get it together.. I do hope running is still for me!

Feeling a little down, if I am honest, as I was enjoying it so much, and at the moment, I just seem to be getting aches and pains... The knee seems ok, but the right ankle now seems twingey..

*sigh*

Otherwise all well..

• Options

BS - Sorry you're not feeling so good today. I think aches and pains are only natural when you're first starting out at running. You're getting your body to do lots of things that it's not used to doing and use lots of different muscles, so it's probably going to complain a little from time to time. The most important thing to do is make sure you don't push too hard and if something feels sore, just be careful with it. (As I should have done with my foot. Had an achy ankle on Tuesday and still ran on Thursday and Saturday - I'm better at giving advice than taking it image). Maybe you could go for a walk if your foot doesn't feel up to running? The weather is perfect for it.

• Options

imageimageimageimage Bristol 10k report - Hi Gang - Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell I did it !!!!!!! And I thought of you all cheering me - Ta you lot.

It wasn't earth shattering time - it was about 1hr 15mins I think - will have to wait till tonight so I can check official time.  I didn't manage to run all the way as I wanted to but hey ho Iv'e done it.

imageFamily came to support me at start and then they all shot off for breakfast !?!?!?! and then came tocheer me on at the finish.

imageLM & BS Take care with your aches and twinges i know how frustrating it is not to be able to run but if you rest now it will pay off in the long run( forgive pun but you know what I mean)

imageAS - ta everso for your encouragement - do you know when will you put in for something?? Everyone there very friendly & encouraging.

TTFN Nessie

• Options

Plod - Bravo!! Well done!

We are bowing down at your feet... I can only dream about 10k!!

• Options
    Well done Plod - I second the above - 10k is still a massive goal for me. Did you have fun running it?
  • Options

imageFun is not quite the word I would choose, not sure how I would describe it - certainly a challenge and now that I have just finished a few glasses of Champers in celebration of me actully finishing the 10k  AND still standing, I suppose I might just say it was an interesting & strange thing to choose to do 'cos it doesnt come naturally to me.

imageI wany you guys to know that if I can do it THEN you can - so stick with the training - take each day as it comes - don't be impatient 'cos time goes by all too quickly so savour each day and enjoy each time you are out and achieving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageI was encouraged HUGLEY at the end by a girl I met at the start ( we were queing at the loo together, then lost each other)  but at the end I was struggeling and she recognised me and encouraged me to run all the way to the end BLESS  HER xxx  People were so friendly & supportive it really helped me -

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo  BS /LM- I want to know when you are ready to have ago at 5k or whatever and I will be there in body (if poss) if not DEFINATELY in spirit to cheer you all the way.

TTFN Nessiexx

• Options

Ok - just been out for first post-cold/cough run and it was awful.  Could only manage 2.5 miles and had to stop a few times to catch my breath, it was so difficult to breathe and my legs feel like jelly. 

Feel very de-motivated and a bit sorry for myself - have my forst 10k in 5 weeks and it seems like a impossibility now.  Can't believe how much 1 week off running and 1 cold have managed to disrupt my fitness.

• Options

Awwwww Kate..

Believe me I know how you feel...coz I feel like crap too and that is only due to a dodgy knee and ankle!

We will get there... Take the pressure off yourself.  There is no point even thinking about racing, or running when you are ill.  Get better first and then it will come back really easily.. If you do it whilst you are still ill you are going to feel like crap and it will be difficult..

The fitness is still there; it is just busy fighting the germs at the moment... Let it do its job and there will be plenty left afterwards...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((KM)))))))))))))))))))))))))) 

• Options

imageKate don't be down, a cold really, really takes it out of you for running, all top athletes will tell you the same, so don't be hard on yourself.  You will get there as BS says get better first and then your body will be able to cope.  There will always be plenty of 10ks 5ks etc but there is only one YOU!!!!!!

imageSooooooooo you must rest or if you need /want to exercise do it gently/ cross train /walk or whatever it takes to make you feel good about it without straining yourself.

TTFN Nessie

• Options

Kate - sorry you're feeling so down at the mo. It could be that you're still run down from the cold, even if the symptoms have mostly disappeared. Getting ill takes a lot out of your body while it's trying to fight off the bug. When I first went out after my chest infection a month or so ago, my first run was completely pants and I felt rubbish the whole way, though within a week or so I was back to where I was pre-illness.

Plod - I can't wait til I can run a 10k. Glad you're celebrating tonight, you totally deserve it. I'm looking at a 5k in the next month or so, but not sure which one yet. Can't wait though.

My foot is finally starting to feel normal again. I've been icing it and elevating it a lot, and it's not hurting anymore. Fingers crossed I might be able to run tomorrow image

• Options

Thanks for the reassurance guys, this is such a lovely thread.

Determined not to let it get the better of me - will have a rest day tomorrow (although I might do the yoga video a friend has leant me) and then get back out there tomorrow.

Things in general a bit crappy at the moment with lots of family stuff going on so might not get out there as much as I want to over the next couple of weeks

• Options

I love this thread - everyone just seems incredibly supportive.

Kate - Hope you're feeling better soon and that the family stuff is all okay. Running might help you if you can get out there a few times. I find it's great for clearing my head. Have fun with the yoga video too - which one are you doing?

• Options

*sigh*

Not going to go out today although I would like to.. Right knee still a bit twingey and the left ankle is joining it!

Will give it a rest today and go for it again tomorrow...

All the best to everyone.. 

Kate - Try to check in dearest - we will miss you and we are happy to listen to any stuff that's going on to get it off your back...

LM - Hugs..

• Options

Awww thanks guys.  Feeling  bit better today - less phlemy (nice visual images for you all there image) but although I'm itching to go out for a run going to stick with my planned rest day figuring it might make tomorrow's run all the better.  Going to do the yoga video instead.

Basically my father in law was sectioned on Saturday - he has Alzeimers and got very violent towards my mother in law etc.  He had to be sectioned by the police which made the entire situation more traumatic.  Thing is we live 200 miles away and to cut a long short its opened a whole can of family politics and my mother in law (who is not a very nice person) is playing my husband off against his other brother and sister.  It makes me very annoyed! 

• Options

Oh horrid..and at such an awfully stressful time too..

You take care of your hubby..and we'll take care of you.. ((((KM))))

• Options
    Oooooh just done "Barbara Currie's Power of Yoga" vidoe and feel a bit sick now image
  • Options
    Hiya all, plod i am going to look for a 10k now to run in the next couple of weeks if i can. Still not running yet, been 4 days now & the weather is great so i wanna go out but i am being really patient & letting my calf have a good rest, although i haven't felt anything for a week now. I will do a 3 mile on sunday & pray i have recovered.
  • Options

Kate - *hugs* The family stuff sounds a nightmare. Hope you and your hubby are okay. Well done on the yoga.

BS - Hope your aches and pains go away soon. I've been taking glucosamine for the last couple of months and I'm finding my joints feel better. I tend to get clicky knees and ankles sometimes and that seems to have reduced. Maybe that's worth a try for your joint niggles?

Finally got out for a run today and I completely surprised myself. I decided to have a go at 5k, just to see how long it'd take and work out if I'm anywhere near ready for a race. Given that I've never run further than 2.4 miles without a walk break, I kind of expected to have to walk a bit, so was aiming for somewhere under 37 minutes. Ended up doing it in 31:12, with only 60 seconds walking. I'm still in a state of shock!

• Options

Lisa-Marie - well done you!  That must give you a massive motivation boost.  I know I felt amazing the first time I ran for 3 miles, finally felt like a "proper" runner.

Soon you'll be doing double the amount!

• Options
    It felt amazing (I'm still buzzing!) but I looked a right state. This weather is lovely, but does make me look extremely red faced and sweaty. Oh well image
  • Options

LM - congratulations, go girl. is this the shortest post ever i wonder image

• Options

BRAVO!!

And I win.... hehehehe! 

• Options

Went for a run today - managed three miles, felt a bit ropey just before the end but felt much much better than I did on Monday -going to keep plugging away at it.  Hopefully will be back up to 4.5 miles and beyond soon!

• Options

KM - Of course you will!

I didn't go out today.  Right knee is still twingeing and after last time when I went too soon, I decided to leave it for another day...

Daughter is doing race for life tonight and has to borrow my trainers anyway as hers are rubbish so that scotched that anyway...

Hopefully will be out tomorrow..

• Options

BS - best leaving knee until its totally better rather than risk making it worse.  I'm doing RfL in July - looking forward to it actually!

Right must leave forum alone and go prep for my Yr12 lesson tomorrow!

• Options
    Kate - you teach Year 12s? That must be scary! I had to do presentations today for 140 staff at my office (most of them grown ups) but I was still petrified. Well done on the 3 miles - you'll be back to 4.5 before you know it!
  • Options

How is everyone here? Seems quiet!

Year 12... I only teach to Year 11..

LM - Now that sounds scary.  Teaching is never as frightening as presenting to staff...